Whip Tubing - All Your Questions Answered!

Pappy

shmaporist
Food for Thought on the Hidden Cost of Tubing

Resumed using EQV 20 days ago after returning VXC beta unit for tweaking. Today I replaced the tubing for the second time, also replaced 10 days ago. I buy this stuff in bulk from 7th Floor, 20 feet at a time for $26. Each section cost $3.71 and lasts me only 10 days. It may last you a little longer but 10 days is all I can take before I begin choking on the solidified vapor built up in the tubing.

So, the hidden cost for me of using a whip style vape is .37 cents a day or $135.00 a year. :uhoh:

Raf007

Retailer
Pappy, couldn't you clean your tube by putting it in boiling water or something ?

Raf007,
Reactions: Vapoleon

Raf007

Retailer
Pappy said:
Raf007 said:
Pappy, coulden't you clean your tube by putting it in boiling water or something ?
Afraid not, a lot of tubing would melt.

What ? Are you kidding me ? Next time instead of trashing your tubing try to clean it in boiling water ;)

If I remember well,, I read somewhere that you can clean it like that...

Raf007,

max

Out to lunch
I wouldn't boil it. You'll just dilute the gunk and spread it all over the tubing. I wouldn't even boil glass, for the same reason. You just have to clean it with ISO afterwards anyway. That's just me though. I'm probably as anal about it as Pappy is about using dirty tubing.

max,
Reactions: Paradox

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
One of the first things I did was to dump the cheap, stock vinyl tubing and get some soft silicone rubber tubing from McMaster-Carr (NSF51 soft or soft, see link below). It is more flexible, much better bend radius, takes higher temps better, is much easier to attach/remove from glass elbows and is quite reasonably priced. You can also get it in as little as 10 ft lengths.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/121/=cqeluw

I found the 7/16" OD X 5/16ID (3038K19) works best for the EQ.

More importantly, this tubing can be used with isopropanol quite safely, so I rinse mine out regularly to keep the tubing clean and add the wash to my isogoo bowl for recovery. See page 2 from the link below:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#51845kac/=cqeno0

hereatlast

Good call nicely :tup:

I forgot about that McMaster-Carr stuff but remember you mentioning it in the past now. The safety of using ISO with it is a huge plus.

I've been using the Tygon 3350 from USPlastics for a while now but don't feel safe using ISO with it (otherwise its the best I've tried). Just checked about the cleaning instructions and I don't think they're within my capabilities:

"Sterilization of TYGON 3350
Autoclavable -- Steam 30 minutes at 15 psi (250F).
Gas -- Ethylene Oxide.
Radiation -- Radiation up to 2.5 MRad."

For this reason I don't clean the stuff (though it might be safe?). Either way, the Tygon 3350 stays cleaner (and better tasting) for much longer than any other tubing I've tried (lower temps keep it cleaner as well for sure it seems).

hereatlast,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
hereatlast said:
Good call nicely :tup:

I forgot about that McMaster-Carr stuff but remember you mentioning it in the past now. The safety of using ISO with it is a huge plus.

I've been using the Tygon 3350 from USPlastics for a while now but don't feel safe using ISO with it (otherwise its the best I've tried). Just checked about the cleaning instructions and I don't think they're within my capabilities:

"Sterilization of TYGON 3350
Autoclavable -- Steam 30 minutes at 15 psi (250F).
Gas -- Ethylene Oxide.
Radiation -- Radiation up to 2.5 MRad."

For this reason I don't clean the stuff (though it might be safe?). Either way, the Tygon 3350 stays cleaner (and better tasting) for much longer than any other tubing I've tried (lower temps keep it cleaner as well for sure it seems).

Ive had my Tygon 3350 for a little over a month now. I purchased a 10 ft length, and have cut a 3 ft section for my regular whip (only place to put the EQ safely is a little over 2 feet from a chair...) and a small section (~6") for bags (which I evidently forgot when cutting the whip, that I don't even use bags any more...hahaha).

I have to say, even though it was on the pricey side (ordered from USPlastics), it was definitely worth it. I have been on the same 3 ft section since I got it. I just cut off about 1" from it that had a nice little puddle of goo on it yesterday. I am gonna vape that this coming weekend probably.

I have thought about rinsing the whip out when it gets dirty, but it hasnt had much buildup aside from the aforementioned 1" section. But, when the taste starts to become evident, I'll probably give water a shot. I would love to see someone confirm the durability (or lack thereof) of this tubing with ISO.

Purpl3_Haz3,

Pappy

shmaporist
nicelytoasted said:
One of the first things I did was to dump the cheap, stock vinyl tubing and get some soft silicone rubber tubing from McMaster-Carr (NSF51 soft or soft, see link below). It is more flexible, much better bend radius, takes higher temps better, is much easier to attach/remove from glass elbows and is quite reasonably priced. You can also get it in as little as 10 ft lengths.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/121/=cqeluw

I found the 7/16" OD X 5/16ID (3038K19) works best for the EQ.

More importantly, this tubing can be used with isopropanol quite safely, so I rinse mine out regularly to keep the tubing clean and add the wash to my isogoo bowl for recovery. See page 2 from the link below:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#51845kac/=cqeno0
Thanks Nicely, will give McMaster a try. Max, if by anal you mean tubing is a pain in the ass I completely agree. :D One bonus with the VXC I'd qualify as a differentiator is no tubing and no glass attachments. Not only does that save money, it negates cleaning!

Unfortunately, when a tube is "too dirty" isn't theoretical for me. It's when I start reflex gagging!

Pappy,

SmokingElectricity

I hate the tubing sometimes too Pappy. Have you ever thought about just using less tubing? For vapor bongs, I cut my tubing down to about 1ft. While this isn't ideal for parties or with inexperienced vaporists, I find it much more manageable especially during solo sessions. Just have to be extra cautious with your glass. :ko:

Maybe this might work for you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9We4tReV4

SmokingElectricity,

Pappy

shmaporist
SmokingElectricity said:
I hate the tubing sometimes too Pappy. Have you ever thought about just using less tubing? For vapor bongs, I cut my tubing down to about 1ft. While this isn't ideal for parties or with inexperienced vaporists, I find it much more manageable especially during solo sessions. Just have to be extra cautious with your glass. :ko:

No, not until I read this thread. Jeez, sometimes I can be thick! Duh, how do you spell "shmegegge"? :lol:

BTW/what happened to your exploding nipple?

Pappy,

SmokingElectricity

Pappy said:
SmokingElectricity said:

No, not until I read this thread. Jeez, sometimes I can be thick! Duh, how do you spell "shmegegge"? :lol:

BTW/what happened to your exploding nipple?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :/

idk

butthead.gif

SmokingElectricity,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
is all silicone tubing safe from ISO as a general rule, or is that stuff from McMaster Carr unusual?

VWFringe,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
VW:

I believe that most silicone tubing is somewhat resistant to reactivity with alcohols, but I would check with the manufacturer to be sure. If it's from US Plastics, I would contact them to see what they have to say about it.

EIther that, or you could snip a small piece and soak it in alcohol for a while to see if there is any visual degradation, or funky odours.

nicelytoasted,

placetime

placetime,

placetime

That's cheaper--if you don't include shipping or minimum lengths. If someone only wants a foot or two of tubing, though, it might be more convenient, and possibly cheaper, to pick some up locally at a home brew shop (instead of going to a hardware store). :2c:

placetime,

turtles

What is the consensus on very flexible tubing? Currently my dbv tubing is nice but it creased while packaged at the shop.
I would ideally like something that is even more flexible than the dbv tubing

turtles,

weedemon

enthusiast
silicone tubing should be more flexible. only draw back is it tends to pick up lots of stuff on the outside.

weedemon,

VaporEyeSore

anyone know a good place in the uk to buy tubing for an ssv that isnt ebay? Not even sure what size I need. If anyone knows or has bought some somewhere please post as I was hoping to get about 10m as cheap as possible.

VaporEyeSore,

weedemon

enthusiast
as for dimentions it's the first post:

3/8" ID, 1/2" OD - SSV/DBV (newer style wands may use different sizes)

weedemon,

VaporEyeSore

weedemon said:

the problem is in uk they sell the tubing by inner diameter and wall thickness.
now 1/2" = 1.27cm
ID = 0.95cm
Subtract these to get a wall thickness of 0.32cm and I cant find anything of this size in uk.

Thanks Wat thats what i was looking for :)
But i still cant work out the sizes (im being dumb i think) i thought by their standard it would be 0.95 or 10x12.7OD which i cant see on that page.

VaporEyeSore,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
VaporEyeSore said:
weedemon said:

the problem is in uk they sell the tubing by inner diameter and wall thickness.
now 1/2" = 1.27cm
ID = 0.95cm
Subtract these to get a wall thickness of 0.32cm and I cant find anything of this size in uk.

Thanks Wat thats what i was looking for :)
But i still cant work out the sizes (im being dumb i think) i thought by their standard it would be 0.95 or 10x12.7OD which i cant see on that page.
I'll have a look back through my purchases when I'm back in the office tomorrow and see if I can find what size I bought. It wasn't exactly the same as 7th Floor's, but as good as in practise.

WatTyler,
Top Bottom