Votes: 107 39.8%
  • $300-$400

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • >$400

Votes: 14 5.2%

• Total voters

arb

Semi shaved ape
I thought you were responding to the post above yours by @just_the_flu that had to do with the price growers would get in Canada "the growers will be getting $0.50/g for 'smokable' bud and $0.10/g for 'other' (go into oils, edibles, etc..)..."

Your post simply said "That will be the end of how things are ....... finally"

If you werent responding to his post, but were continuing a grow theme from your previous post then obviously I've way over interpreted things. But if you were responding to just_the_flu my question should be understandable in the context of our previous discussion regarding appropriate pricing of cannabis. I'm just trying to understand your thinking about how you value the product and man's labor to produce it.

Edited to add: hey @orb I'm reading that thread. Great stuff. You are doing a wonderfully generous share.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
I thought you were responding to the post above yours by @just_the_flu that had to do with the price growers would get in Canada "the growers will be getting $0.50/g for 'smokable' bud and $0.10/g for 'other' (go into oils, edibles, etc..)..."

Your post simply said "That will be the end of how things are ....... finally"

If you werent responding to his post, but were continuing a grow theme from your previous post then obviously I've way over interpreted things. But if you were responding to just_the_flu my question should be understandable in the context of our previous discussion regarding appropriate pricing of cannabis. I'm just trying to understand your thinking about how you value the product and man's labor to produce it.

Edited to add: hey @orb I'm reading that thread. Great stuff. You are doing a wonderfully generous share.
Well............perhaps you understand my thinking a bit better and I hope we have come closer as people.
:)

relaxativas

Yeah, prices in Scandinavia aren't much better than Ireland. I just calculated quickly and prices someone who isn't me pays for an ounce would come out to almost exactly $300 per ounce. And it's not like it's really good stuff or anything, it's ok, varies a bit.

Self supply seems to be the way and would pay for itself pretty quickly for people living in countries where it's illegal.

JBone65

Found this old thread, decided to resurrect it and try to make a point.

I used to grow hydroponic weed with HPS and LED lights. It was a modest but very successful clandestine operation.

Anyway, I was certain that only indoor weed could produce the extreme THC content, mainly because I believed it's essential to keep the temperature in the low 70's to maximize terpenes.

Well, I now see that I was dead wrong, and the entire industry is about to be shaken up.

Red Dirt Sungrown grows 30+ strains in greenhouses and sells it for $45/oz ($52 with tax). They're a successful nursery business (many years of managing greenhouse operations) that started growing recreational weed in 2018. Like many Oklahoma growers, they have a huge operation with 50 acres of enclosed greenhouse space.
Guess what? The intense sunshine apparently adds more flavor (and entourage intensity) than the high heat takes away.

It stands to reason when you think about it. Imagine Acapulco gold growing somewhere outside Acapulco. Arguably it has the most memorable flavor of all, but think of any premium old school fertilized strain you like. Then imagine the same plant, in the exact same conditions, except unfertilized. Wouldn't it have to be better than standard fertilized gold? Absolutely, it is, and for 25-50% of the cost of indoor weed.

Do a side by side blind taste test and I believe most people will be shocked by the extreme pungent smell and powerful punch from professionally grown greenhouse weed. Even if they aren't sure which is actually better, everyone will choose the one that costs 75% less. I'm finding that, for whatever reason, no matter which strain you choose, it has a much better entourage effect. The real kicker is that it's just better IMO, so I'm reaching for it much less often. My consumption rate decreased immediately when I first tried it. I've been monitoring my consumption rate for over 50 years, so it's obvious to me that it's better.

Bought this stuff called Sherbet Cookies yesterday for $51/oz out the door. It's a sativa hybrid with 24.18% THC, 2.13% terpenes that works very well in my portable flower vaporizer (the notorious io) with amazing sweet terpenes and abundant vapor at each temperature setting.
Sherbert-Cookies.jpg

In theory, indoor growers; 1. take great care to select the ideal strain, then they 2. do everything required for 100% optimal growth, then they 3. harvest properly and at the right time, 4. handle it correctly (i.e. cure, store, get it to market when ready, etc.). Greenhouse growers do exactly these same things for less than half of the cost, maybe only 25% of the cost in some cases. The only differences; with indoor weed you get artificial lights, much lower temperature and a shortened season, with greenhouse weed you get the most intense direct sunlight imaginable, high heat and a natural full growing season.

Have tried 4 of their strains thus far. All were exceptional. I'll never pay 3x a much for indoor weed again.

It's unfortunate that so many determined and dedicated growers have invested huge sums (their life savings?) in unsustainable climate controlled lab-like indoor facilities, when it turns out that nature grows better weed. Get ready. Sooner or later, one way or another, most of us will happily switch back to sun grown weed if offered at the actual lower price.

BTW, Red Dirt offers the Acapulco Gold strain but it was sold out, of course.

Sorry I typed so much. I'm freshly convinced that indoor weed is unsustainable (by some estimates it requires 70x the electricity per pound produced), with a similar strength, and costs 3x what properly grown greenhouse weed costs. Big changes coming down the pike.

Last edited:

Berzzerkker

Usually try 6-8 eights and if something is really exceptional, I'll go back for more.

Compared to combusting, the amount I go through is so much less, I'm looking for the freshest, highest quality that I can easily get, and it's been pretty easy to find some very good quality in Oregon.

While living on Miami Beach, in the late 1990's, a wealthy client, who's wife was Jamaican, and had friends visiting from the islands, was looking for something "special" and the price didn't matter. I paid $6000 for a single pound, 16 vacuum-sealed packages, in a dufflebag. And did that stuff stink up my apartment!

An old college friend, who grew somewhere in Ohio, he kept everything very hush, hush, gave me the number of a guy he knew, who had some seriously good, outdoor-grown, primo weed. Each package a single, large "cola" of some of the dankest weed I've ever had.

My client, who was always extremely generous, gave me an ounce as a "finders fee", and every year he would ask me to get him more, but I never found anything that good, ever. Still haven't, but I keep looking. :lol:

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I recently noticed that there is a place about a half hour drive from me that has greenhouse grown ounces for $25, or two for $40. I haven't taken the drive to try it out yet though.

Last edited:

JBone65

I recently noticed that there is a place about a half hour drive from me that has greenhouse grown ounces for $25, or two for $40. I haven't taken the drive to try it out yet though.
Red Dirt Sungrown might be unique in that they had so much all purpose horticulture experience beforehand, and then they managed the new weed business the same way they have other plants for decades. Compared to the margin on landscape/garden plants and trees, selling a massive amount of $45-50/oz weed apparently works very well for them. Personally, this shows me that growing it for free in the back yard or nearly free in an open-style greenhouse is a much better option than I thought. Anyone wanna buy some indoor grow equipment --- cheap?

EanCognito

I've always spent about the same dollar amount since I started, back in the middle 1970's, 75-76, high-school, college. The difference is that back then $300-400 got me a pound of ColumbianGold, some times even ThaiStick, MauiWowie, possibly a few oz's of good Moroccan Hash.

The quality hasn't always been as consistent as it has with legalization, as well as ease of purchase, but I've almost always had a friend, or knew a friend of a friend, that could get something, usually in the same dollar ballpark, sometimes $100 a qtr oz, but it was usually pretty damn good, especially compared to other people were able to get.

Some lean years, not often, but I've been living in places where I wasn't able to find anything, thankfully not often, and not for a very long period of time. Last purchase, with a few small discounts was almost $200 with all the taxes for 5 eights of the most costly they had, about $40/eigth, same neighborhood.

Haven't really purchased much, recent move caused me to stock-up, wasn't sure what would be available in the new area, but I needn't have worried, much better selection, top local growers, online access, ordering, and hopefully in the future delivery, similar to the area I last lived in.

The only plus from covid, that I can see, is more places offer delivery, amazon sometimes the very next day. I'm more than happy to wait however long for delivery, but I do like to have a look, and especially a smell, at what I'm buying.

Once I've developed a relationship with the guy I've already used three times, hopefully he'll be able to give me a heads up when anything "special" come in, who knows, possibly even drop some off on his way home.

Legalized cannabis is great!

Last edited:

Ramahs

Red Dirt Sungrown might be unique in that they had so much all purpose horticulture experience beforehand, and then they managed the new weed business the same way they have other plants for decades. Compared to the margin on landscape/garden plants and trees, selling a massive amount of $45-50/oz weed apparently works very well for them. Personally, this shows me that growing it for free in the back yard or nearly free in an open-style greenhouse is a much better option than I thought. Anyone wanna buy some indoor grow equipment --- cheap?

I remember paying $50 Oz for Mexican brick back in Texas 20 years ago. LoLz :razz:
I at least hope that the $25 Oz I alluded to are better than that!

If it's not that good, then I can go oldschool and roll a few blunts for hiking/fishing, or I can just extract it and condense for edibles.

Last edited:

someTooL

Been really used to paying $100 - $150 oz for dispensary specials. Nothing really to complain about, no seeds and all bud.

Memory lane though…before legal I was normally picking up at $125 qtr…ouch.

Back in the mid 80’s picked up a 13 gallon garbage bag stuffed of fresh pickings for $100. Was ~ 2lbs once dried..1.75 lb of seed/stem lol.

3xFantasyChamp

Been really used to paying $100 - $150 oz for dispensary specials. Nothing really to complain about, no seeds and all bud.

Memory lane though…before legal I was normally picking up at $125 qtr…ouch.

Back in the mid 80’s picked up a 13 gallon garbage bag stuffed of fresh pickings for $100. Was ~ 2lbs once dried..1.75 lb of seed/stem lol.
$125 for qtrs and sometimes $65 for an eighth...up to $400 for some oz's. Dark timeline before medical hit in my state.

I see $100 oz's in some dispensaries that actually don't look too bad. It's usually $350+ for the really good flower.

3xFantasyChamp,
Reactions: someTooL

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Here in Washington State, you can pay as low as $30/ounce for sungrown cannabis (15.7%THC) to the most exp. $231 (23.8%: from today's menu), and multitudes in between. My favorite store is Main Street Marijuana in downtown Vancouver. I love that I can order online and pickup outside behind the store. I don't have to go inside.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Before I moved from Texas six months ago I was paying ~$140 for a half, and ~$240 for an oz. But prices were sometimes a bit higher if it was in unopened in retail packaging product from a legal state.

JBone65

Have been dependent on dispensaries for the past few years. I always refused to pay top shelf prices, and struggled to find something I could enjoy in the range of $100-$150/oz. Never once considered a prepackaged ounce, just assumed there's a reason they don't want me looking at it. Wanted to see it and smell it, if possible, before making a decision. Not any more. This company instantly earned my trust yesterday. Just imagine, prepackaged Acapulco Gold for $50/oz. Click on the word "STRAINS" to see what they're growing.

Last edited:

Misterhyde

Have been dependent on dispensaries for the past few years. I always refused to pay top shelf prices, and struggled to find something I could enjoy in the range of $100-$150/oz. Never once considered a prepackaged ounce, just assumed there's a reason they don't want me looking at it. Wanted to see it and smell it, if possible, before making a decision. Not any more. This company instantly earned my trust yesterday. Just imagine, prepackaged Acapulco Gold for $50/oz. Click on the word "STRAINS" to see what they're growing.

Holy fuck! All of those prices seem insanely good, makes me wish I lived in Oklahoma. I looked at one of the dispensary websites and prices were like 1/3 of the cost at dispensaries here.

Top Bottom