• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

What box mod are you using / recommending for on-demand convection 510 vapes?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
@cybrguy how likely is it to have a problem with properly wrapped 18650 that has the insulator tab in place?
If it is a quality battery and there are no cuts in the wrap or insulator I think the chances of battery failure are small. If it is a counterfeit or poor quality cell, or a badly designed or knock off mod, all bets are off. That is why we warn to buy name brand batteries from reliable vendors and watch for counterfeit devices.
Yea, the dude on the video pulled the insulator tab thing out and and had a torn wrap. That was going to happen on any device, tiny vent holes or not. Was that unit that exploded in the video vented? That still would have sucked in someone's pocket and vent holes wouldn't have made much difference.
The vent holes won't in any way prevent a battery failure. They only provide a place for the very high pressure battery event to find its way out of the mod. If no such vents exists the pressure build up inside a closed metal box may blow it up like a grenade. Venting hot gas with some flame and the chemicals involved can definitely burn you quite badly, but an unvented metal mod could kill you or someone nearby with the force of metal shrapnel. I'm not saying it WOULD happen, I'm saying it could happen, and the risk is unnecessary.

Last edited:

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
So a battery door that doesn't seal airtight and can let air pass through easily without building pressure in the battery compartment is venting, correct?
Where does an Evic mini have it's vent holes?
Does an Arizer Air, which screws closed seemingly air tight, need venting? I know, totally different, but still a cell in there.
Just seems like Hcigar, who would have a lot to lose if these started blowing up, may have put some thought into basic safety with this one, just the reviewers may have jumped all over the no holes thing. :shrug:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
While it is true that some vendors insist that they have "battery protection" built in to their devices, do you really want to count on it working correctly? Exploding or even venting ecigs/mods are a serious enough problem that taking whatever precautions you can is definitely worth doing. Only you can assess how much risk is worth taking. I think completely enclosing your 18650s with no vent holes is a bad enough idea that I wouldn't risk it. YMMV

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
I'm not really arguing. I'm just trying to ease some of my own concerns over this one particular unit. I'm sure he has @little maggie a little more fearful of her Hcigar when it returns.
That's a sad story you linked to. Didn't know there were unregulated mod mods out there. So like the Milaana, it's all up to the user?

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
So like the Milaana, it's all up to the user?

Way worse! In the Milaana the heater resistance part is more or less constant and there is the mica plate to prevent hard shorts. With mech mods and user rebuildable attachments it's a recipe for disaster. You can create heaters with too little resistance and completely over-load your cell.

There's no weak cell detection, no short prevention, no over-current, no nothing. Couple that with the trend they have of using very simple cylinder mods that are basically glorified flash-light metal tubes and you can pretty well create what's known as a pipe bomb. The linked article is indeed grim but the key words are: "projectile through the brain", it was not just some chemical fire at play.

But you are right, some mods only have a few meager venting holes and worse they are on the wrong side of the cell (ie. the negative, whereas cells vent through the positive) and it's absolutely not warranted that's it's enough to completely prevent explosions.

And that's the culprit here: preventing explosions is one thing but you can't prevent the cell thermal runaway on its own, and this event is already enough to burn half of your leg to the 3rd degree, as many of those poor chaps who transported their cells bare in their pockets learned the hard way when coins or keys created a short.

Note: they made a lot of progress regarding Li-Ion chemistries though, modern ones are much safer. Actually cells are tested in hard-short conditions and are supposed to "vent gracefully" with possibly only smoke and at worse minimal fire. But some cells can also explode on their own without needing any extra enclosure, as they are basically a closed metal tube... with venting holes.

Grifo

An off topic public service announcement for those that may have missed it: the good folks at ModPod Labs (makers of the StemPod) have a cooling mouthpiece like all the kids are using on sale for $22.50 shipped.

https://modpodlabs.com/product/cooling-stem/

I don't own a Stempod but would be keen to get one of these if it's compatible with my Tubo X and Splinters. Looks like a good way to reduce the wizard wandness of my Z. Plus the short XL8R is still out of stock at rbt.
will this fit the splinter?

Grifo,

little maggie

You have increased my box mod anxiety. Why would hcigar be the only company to leave off vents? I am nervous about them now but need to check with Alan.
I'm thinking of just sticking with P80's for my vapes. It's not DNA but it heats up very quickly and stays on as long as I want. How would I know if the P80 has vents? I never thought of looking for them.
This is the description at Wismec of the p80 and it doesn't mention vents.
http://www.wismec.com/product/sinuous-p80-2/

little maggie,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm sorry I increased your anxiety, @little maggie but I do think it's important to be aware of the risks associated with lithium batteries and the design decisions mod designers have to make. The more we know the safer we are and the less chance we will treat these devices too casually for our own good.

cybrguy,
Reactions: Summer

Hippie

Not vents as such
HCigar say it's designed so the USB port acts as a vent hole
The notches in the battery door are at the wrong end for battery venting really but they will also release some of the pressure too, should that happen.

Hippie,

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
I'm sucking on my Hcigars usb hole right now. :brow: A lot of air coming through there, and through the battery door area too.
As much air as is releasing from the Wisemic 2/3s vent holes, although that has two of those, and the same as the 3 tiny holes at the bottom of my Steam Engine. Which is also at the negative side and yes, I checked, it's usb hole vents too. ;)

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
Auber RDK-300. I had a chinese one that works great till something goes wrong and then its busted

Oh Box Mod. I actually like what Source has done with the quartz and titanium buckets. Def better than a dab pen, and id say right in between that and enail. Actual nice dabs, even just woth titanium, but quartz is better. I dont like ceramic.

The mod box is the 60w thing that comes with the SourceNail pack. Max Volt or something. It has a rig function where instead of holding the button it heats up a dab but i just hold the button down. Works fine and no need to adjust temps (i keep the titanium at like 25w, quartz at like 16w)

I know for whatever reason, prolly past products, they dont have the best rep but honestly i have had it like a year, only had to change atomizer 2-3 times, and it works great. I think better than Dr Dabber and all that

Last edited:
FractaLSD,

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
@Grifo
88mm tall, 13mm diameter, 23mm joint length

That's what the ModPod folks gave as a size for their cooling stem. So I guess the answer is no, it won't fit the Splinter?

sixstringsmash

Just found out about these mods today, they look pretty freaking cool, thinking about making an order for one, here's the guys website: http://3po5.com

Volcano_05.jpg

Apparently he takes custom orders for mods and specializes in making the mods in the style of those older tobacco pipes. Having my iheat on top of one of these things would look awesome I think. Can't find much information about how they run though, I'm thinking it's probably mechanical but not sure.

kuzko

Just found out about these mods today, they look pretty freaking cool, thinking about making an order for one, here's the guys website: http://3po5.com

Volcano_05.jpg

Apparently he takes custom orders for mods and specializes in making the mods in the style of those older tobacco pipes. Having my iheat on top of one of these things would look awesome I think. Can't find much information about how they run though, I'm thinking it's probably mechanical but not sure.

Those look very nice, nice find. These are mech mods though, right?

kuzko,

sixstringsmash

Those look very nice, nice find. These are mech mods though, right?
I think so but I'm not sure. I'm probably going to send this guy an email over the weekend to try to get some more information out of him. His orders look like they're all custom so I don't see any reason he wouldn't be able to put a chip in one if it's requested, but I'm not sure if its as simple as that.

sixstringsmash,
Reactions: KeroZen

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Where are the vents on the VTC Dual I got for my Tubo X? Those are everywhere.

bossman,

little maggie

I wonder how people know about vents. I read the info I could find on the p80 and evic and couldn’t find that info. The p80 has a series of holes on the battery latch that must be valves: But I don’t see anything like that on the evic

Last edited:
little maggie,
Reactions: bossman

FractaLSD

PsychMyc
Anyone else here use Source Nail XL (or not XL) or the Orb?

Ps i saw a mention of firefly1 and 2 collecting dust in a sig, also SSV. My SSV is def literally collecting dust as much as i love it, but i really do enjoy the FF2. That and Crafty are my fav portables

FractaLSD,
Top Bottom