Volcano Hybrid

alicedanon

Also letting everyone know we have our O-rings back in stock, as well as a new model of Obsidian that is much more affordable than our US made glass. We still offer the US made option as well, but we have enough trusted shops from international suppliers that we can confidently offer the same quality for a lower price. Everything ships from our warehouse in California, so no wait times for international shipping either. Cheers!
Cool news. Didn't know this. Any reviews or vids yet comparing the two?

I hate buying twice, so will splurge for the US if there is a noticable difference in quality or use. I know you are confident in this new one, so that may answer my question already. Of course I trust you guys. Looking forward to trying!

I've enjoyed my Hybrid for over two years and still have never tried it with water. I am missing out for sure!

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Cool news. Didn't know this. Any reviews or vids yet comparing the two?

I hate buying twice, so will splurge for the US if there is a noticable difference in quality or use. I know you are confident in this new one, so that may answer my question already. Of course I trust you guys. Looking forward to trying!

I've enjoyed my Hybrid for over two years and still have never tried it with water. I am missing out for sure!
I don't know of anyone that has done their own comparison between the two, but I don't think you need to consider a re-purchase simply because they are exactly the same! Obviously international suppliers are able to provide a cheaper product due to labor costs, and we were able to pass those savings on to the consumer. We also wanted to be able to continue supporting our USA shops, as they have been with us since the beginning and are just awesome people all around, so we figured to best way to do that was to continue using them as a supplier and work out a deal to offer a "no-questions-asked" warranty for 6-months on their specific glass productions.

So, why now? Well, glass blowing is not only dependent upon the technique to produce quality joints/connections, but also the infrastructure to reliably replicate those quality joints/connections from one piece to another. Many international/budget shops simply do NOT have these capabilities, and most do not care because for them it's a race to bottom in terms of cost/unit, and the necessary infrastructure and equipment can get quite expensive. This is why it took so long for us to find international suppliers that could match the quality and reliability of our USA shops. All units go through the same testing, have the same certifications, and you probably couldn't tell the difference between one shop to another because of how tight we keep our tolerances between shops. In the end, if you already have an Obsidian from before this "new" release, then you have one made in the USA, and I wouldn't say you have anything to gain by purchasing the International version.

Cheers!

EDIT: I just realized I misread your post, and that you are considering buying one vs the other! Honestly, I think it more depends on how much you trust yourself. They can take a good amount of abuse (I've dropped mine many times over the years without anything happening/breaking), but if you're particularly prone to dropping things/breaking things it may be a good idea to consider the USA-warrantied model. If you're sure-handed, there won't be any need to upgrade and you can save yourself some cash up front.

Magma_Industries,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

HughJass

Anyone else mulling over if buying a hybrid now at slightly reduced prices is worth it, or am I the only one? :\

I did a couple years ago and truthfully I kinda regret it. (Mostly because I’m a flavor junkie and I don’t love the flavor you get with bags or whips anymore)
I got the gold classic and black hybrid with cases and all the accessories for about the price of a hybrid. They’re not bad, but they’re really just my worst case scenario backups that collect dust now.

To answer if it’s worth it, you have to ask yourself;
-Why do I want the volcano?
-What use does it fill that isn’t already being filled by another device?

Also is there any other device that would fill that need better?
For me the Bowle and Phase3 ZX completely fill and exceed my needs and use for the volcanos.
But for you that may be different!

noobvaperct

I did a couple years ago and truthfully I kinda regret it. (Mostly because I’m a flavor junkie and I don’t love the flavor you get with bags or whips anymore)
I got the gold classic and black hybrid with cases and all the accessories for about the price of a hybrid. They’re not bad, but they’re really just my worst case scenario backups that collect dust now.

To answer if it’s worth it, you have to ask yourself;
-Why do I want the volcano?
-What use does it fill that isn’t already being filled by another device?

Also is there any other device that would fill that need better?
For me the Bowle and Phase3 ZX completely fill and exceed my needs and use for the volcanos.
But for you that may be different!
You just saved me a lot of money. I’m not a fan of S&B to be honest, way too overpriced for what you actually get.

noobvaperct,
Reactions: HughJass

HughJass

You just saved me a lot of money. I’m not a fan of S&B to be honest, way too overpriced for what you actually get.

Glad I could save you from the same mistake! Sadly I partially agree, I wouldn’t say I dislike them completely- They still make some of the most consistent, and reliable while still being easy to use, set and forget devices. Especially for people with physical disabilities or injuries, or perhaps people brand new to the world of vaporizers, that may be worth it.
-However for the seasoned vapor connoisseur, aka pretty much everyone here on the forums, you’re almost certain to find something that will fit your exact needs better, and usually for cheaper.

I will say their biggest flex is they are Great for parties or when you don’t want to be fiddling around with a hot dynavap or exposed coil. (There is something nice about not having to worry about breaking glass, burning yourself, or even worse :dog:..accidentally bumping or dragging polyester clothes across the top of an exposed coil or heater for a ball vape 🤡)

Anyways though, if I knew that’s all I would end up using them for I would’ve just stuck to my mighty as the backup and just gotten the Bowle and ZX. (Not necessarily cheaper options, at a little over the price of a hybrid for the pair, but they suit my needs of quick and flavorful on demand medication vastly better)
Good luck with whatever you go looking for next! :cheers:

HughJass,

redspawn

IMG-3470.jpg

This thing man… I own a Venty, and (fu) black friday let my buy this beauty… Wow, i thaugt the venty is a huge improvement above the Mighty+… But this man… I fell in love with both xD

justcametomind

IMG-3470.jpg

This thing man… I own a Venty, and (fu) black friday let my buy this beauty… Wow, i thaugt the venty is a huge improvement above the Mighty+… But this man… I fell in love with both

As much as I like the Venty there’s nothing more tasty than a 192°C Volcano balloon, best compromise between flavor and effects (credit goes to @Vitolo for finding this out).
I fell in love with XL bags over the years, to the point I don’t even use regulars anymore. Even if I want to micro dose 30mg I point my Digit at 230°C and fill for a couple of hits worth. I find that it’s more manageable than a regular bag, especially for medium doses like 50/100mg where you would be probably filling 2 bags.
Imho the most important thing when using a Volcano (or any other vape actually) is that it’s best to heat the herbs only once, avoiding to fill the oven more than a bag’s worth. Second or third bags do not taste as good as the first one.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Now that I've had the Hybrid for a year, I'm relooking at how I use it. Initially I thought I'd be using dosing capsules, and I bought trays and spatulas and capsules and whatnot, and I pretty much don't use them, and I don't use them with the Mighty either.
Lately I've been using the reduction chamber, but am rereading parts of the thread to get thrilled about using the capsule tray and other toys I don't play with at present. I do like the idea of filling a bunch of capsules to have ready in a jar with a humidity pack, but haven't found I use them after they are filled.
Still, I might fall madly in love with the capsules this round, and my life might be about to get so much easier in ways I can't yet see, so December will be capsules only in the Hybrid, unless I forget, in which case I will follow up the Unauthorized bowl with a capsule bowl, or at least that's the plan.

redspawn

Now that I've had the Hybrid for a year, I'm relooking at how I use it. Initially I thought I'd be using dosing capsules, and I bought trays and spatulas and capsules and whatnot, and I pretty much don't use them, and I don't use them with the Mighty either.
Lately I've been using the reduction chamber, but am rereading parts of the thread to get thrilled about using the capsule tray and other toys I don't play with at present. I do like the idea of filling a bunch of capsules to have ready in a jar with a humidity pack, but haven't found I use them after they are filled.
Still, I might fall madly in love with the capsules this round, and my life might be about to get so much easier in ways I can't yet see, so December will be capsules only in the Hybrid, unless I forget, in which case I will follow up the Unauthorized bowl with a capsule bowl, or at least that's the plan.
I never used capsules in my vapes, cause i love maximum airflow. Tested it many times cause ease of use, but never liked it. With the Volcano i love the capsules with the reduced chamber. Put in 0.15g and get two bags out of it. Perfect 4 me :)

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I never used capsules in my vapes, cause i love maximum airflow. Tested it many times cause ease of use, but never liked it. With the Volcano i love the capsules with the reduced chamber. Put in 0.15g and get two bags out of it. Perfect 4 me :)
I love the idea of capsules, and the filling tray is fun, but I fill them, jar them, and forget to use them. If I want to have the filling thrill, I have to either use them, or dump them and refill, and it isn't that much fun. Entirely possible I'm not a capsule gal, but want to be. Not at this time. Might grow into it. Enjoy the option a great deal, so there is that. Also possible I just love my Hybrid in Onyx, and wanted to buy it accessories, but the Hybrid itself is letting me know it's fine without if that's how I am happy. That's a thing I love about my Volcano, and all of my vapes really. They are just there to make me happy. That, in itself, makes me happy.

martinstraka8282

I picked up a Hybrid Onyx last week with the BF sale bringing it down to $670 cdn with free shipping. I've always wanted one and that's as low as they go.

Background is I've been down the road of many vaporizers that served their purpose but always left me wanting something different in operation or didn't hit how I wanted. It started with the Extreme Q and then the DDave mods, plus some conduction portables I never loved. The Extreme Q served its purpose once I got it dialed in, especially with the mods, but the hot bowls, cleaning, and whip connection style were a bit of a pain. Then I bought a Ghost MV1 as my first high priced vape which I did find worked well at its core, but was a bit of a chore to maintain and you know the background story. I had a modded Boundless CFX and Tera. Very different vapes, but both decent in their own way, and with mods can each be dialed in pretty well imo. Tried some concentrate vapes from Sai and G-pen, but never really got those where I wanted. I even bought the Vapecritics custom mod vape before I broke it.

By the end of all that, I finally tried Dynavap and it completely took over as my daily driver. I've now got 5 in rotation with 3 induction heaters and have been mostly using them exclusively while the rest collect dust. A plug in induction heater at home is great for always being ready. Best option out there imo and mimics smoking more than anything else I've used in both operation and the way the hits feel.

I wanted a hard hitting, easy to maintain desktop vape to go with Dynavaps and bought the Plenty last year on Black Friday. The plenty hits well, but I find it a bit harsh, doesn't attach nicely to a wpa, and am not fond of its heating method where it heats up then cools down until you pull the trigger again. Weed brain just has me messing that up all the time, so it was a bit of a misguided purchase in hindsight. Close but not there imo.

And here I am buying the OG after all that money spent. I wish I'd just landed here in the first place. It hits as heavy or as light as you want it to, with a really wide range depending on your preference, but what really impresses me with the Hybrid is its consistency and reliability. There's no guessing and very little thinking involved. I bought a stack of the big concentrate pads and use those above the bowl for more of an appropriate solo session. 1, maybe 2 bags is what I aim for and I like higher temps in general. I ordered XL bags to aim for 1 big bag at a time instead. I am finding I prefer to filter through a big globe bubbler I own, but I usually hit Dynavaps dry. The issue with so many of the above vapes I've run through was when I was going to use them and having stuck parts from buildup after imo not long enough use, poor design choices, clunky wp or whip attachments, battery charging/issues, hit and miss performance, remembering order of operations, etc. Of course some better choices like a Mighty+ could have been thrown in there for better experiences, but the point stands for most of the market imo. Lots of the hard hitting desktops appear to be a bit of a chore and/or big in setup and that's what I wanted to avoid.

After using it for a week now, I can't say enough. I think this Volcano Hybrid combined with Dynavap is the ticket combo for me personally and don't see ever pulling out any of the others I own, or buying more that would have a place. Another lesson learned was with seeing all the vape companies that have come and gone. I'm not enamored with the idea of supporting another with proprietary accessories like the Ghost that could disappear at the drop of a hat, so going with two of the biggest mainstays in the game has its advantages, despite the expensive accessories. And seeing as neither has internal batteries other than 2 of my induction heaters that can be replaced if necessary, I feel a bit freed from batteries too.

Anyways, there's my story. Ultimately, I'm very happy with the Hybrid. Consistent, reliable, fast, heavy hitter & flexible. The price stings, but at least during BF you're getting it as low as it goes.

Last edited:

AndyO

I'm sorry to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before - but the search didn't help me. (Wasn't quite sure what to search for.)

I want to use my Volcano more, but it kind of just sits next to my TM2 and Dynavaps because I find the vapor really dry.

I know there's a bunch of glass bubbler attachments, but I'm having a bit of trouble telling the difference.

Does anyone use them? Do they like them? And do you have any links? (I'm usually too impatient to wait for Chinese glass, but in this case I'd probably do it if anyone has a link.)

Finally, a technical question - does running the vapor through water straight out of the heater work "better" than filling your bag and drawing it through a bubbler/bong (or running your whip through a bubbler/bong)? Again, I'm looking for moisture moreso than cooling.

redspawn

I'm sorry to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked before - but the search didn't help me. (Wasn't quite sure what to search for.)

I want to use my Volcano more, but it kind of just sits next to my TM2 and Dynavaps because I find the vapor really dry.

I know there's a bunch of glass bubbler attachments, but I'm having a bit of trouble telling the difference.

Does anyone use them? Do they like them? And do you have any links? (I'm usually too impatient to wait for Chinese glass, but in this case I'd probably do it if anyone has a link.)

Finally, a technical question - does running the vapor through water straight out of the heater work "better" than filling your bag and drawing it through a bubbler/bong (or running your whip through a bubbler/bong)? Again, I'm looking for moisture moreso than cooling.
I got my Obsidian yesterday. I think on lower temps its not a huge (but noticeable) difference. But on higher temps its mindblowing to me. Tested it on 210°C and it was the first time i dont have to cough, its really much smoother.
Little downside are the litte „wet“ in the bags. But make a empty run drys it very easyly

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker

Hey AndyO! We're pretty much the only ones making bubblers specifically for the Volcano, and certainly the only ones making and shipping them from the US. We have a thread with LOTS of details over in the Accessory section, feel free to drop in and ask any specifics you may have :)

In regard to yoru last point, YES! Integrated bubblers get your vapor nice and humidified because the water is directly above the heat source, which you don't get if you go bag-to-bong (the "Old School" method, as we like to call it)

Cheers!

Magma_Industries,

martinstraka8282

I've been pretty happy running the Volcano whip to a water piece. I removed the mouthpiece from the whip and inserted a 90 degree glass piece with 14mm male on one end, skinny glass meant for whip on the other. Not as elegant as the Obsidian, but that unfortunately doesn't work for me with how much I move my Volcano around my house.

Not really related to your comment, but I set up a hard case with sealing lid that the Volcano sits in, with borders built to house a water piece firmly without moving around or tipping and some accessories. Works great for being able to move the whole station at once and just run the cord out and plug it in wherever. No need to even take it out of the case.

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
New water pipes on the market for the volcano hybrid! Reviewers even note how thin the obsidian is. Consensus is these are better than obsidian!

Chinese knockoffs were bound to pop up eventually, but they literally copied all of our bubblers so it's a bit ironic they call it thin glass. Theirs is the same stock tube they copied from us, that's how they're able to properly form the bottom join section, so not sure what they're basing that on.

On the other hand, we've been hearing a bit of both sides from customers regarding the Freeze Coil vs Obsidian. Some still prefer the Obsidian even after trying both, just a matter of preference and if you're willing to wait for the coil to freeze.

Magma_Industries,

ChooChooCharlie

Saw this vid, looks more helpful than the brief user guide instructions

May be about time to replace Hybrid screens and do some cleaning? Those pointy tweezers are helpful with Venty screen as well. The Ifixit Jimmy tool might help prying that stubborn Hybrid ring. Both tools cheap on amazon

ChooChooCharlie,
Reactions: Green Kiwi

axilla101

Curious about people's approach with their packs. I usually use about .3 grams w/ a very fine grind in the regular chamber-- temp stepping from 340 to 390, I can get about 5-6 bags and what seems like a really good extraction.

I know people like using the chamber reducer for amounts like .1g etc. But does anyone feel like there's a strong advantage to using the chamber reducer for .3g or so-- vs. letting it blow loose in the larger chamber?

Last edited:
axilla101,

martinstraka8282

Curious about people's approach with their packs. I usually use about .3 grams w/ a very fine grind in the regular chamber-- temp stepping from 340 to 390, I can get about 5-6 bags and what seems like a really good extraction.

I know people like using the chamber reducer for amounts like .1g etc. But does anyone feel like there's a strong advantage to using the chamber reducer for .3g or so-- vs. letting it blow loose in the larger chamber?
I find I can pack it loose or full and get similar results, but I mostly just rip mine at 430 through a bong on a whip.

martinstraka8282,
Reactions: Green Kiwi

martinstraka8282

Yeah, part of me feels like all the herb blowing around in a larger chamber just creates more surface area on each bit to be extracted.
Ya, I've sort of found it just doesn't seem to matter much. The Volcano extracts it either way. I just find the Volcano so consistently powerful in operation that it just sort of powers through whatever I put in there.

Top Bottom