Volcano Hybrid

StoneyBeached

I finally got around to ordering my Obsidian.. I'll report back later in that thread on it. Really excited tho! :nod:

I recently bought the loading tray and as of the moment have mixed feelings about it. It definitely makes loading the capsules faster but..... here's the kicker.. I can never get them as tightly packed as I can by simply doing it one at a time by hand.. by simply loading them from my Large BCG. The last time I used it, it was with my SCS grinder with a medium grind but I still haven't tried it with the fine grind from my new BCG. It does make it more simple to load but it did get kinda tedious with the spatula going over the holes to distribute even amounts in every capsule. I will definitely give the loading tray another shot.. I really thought I would like it more than I do. I just can't get it tightly packed is all.

Your 390F temperature is exactly what I found to be pretty much the perfect temp as well! :tup: I usually start out at 390F for that nice first bag and either crank it up to 410F (the mighty's max temp) or the full 446. While the vapor is kinda harsh at the max temp, it's not so bad using my 14mm Magma Industries bag adapter. Sometimes I think I should just stop at 410 since that was the Mighty's max temp and I hear that anything really over 400F is where toxins start to form so I'm kinda confused as to why S&B would give this a max temp of 446? Maybe they had other herbs in mind?

Just wondering what you and others think about finishing off at max temp of 446F or 410F? My gut feeling says to stop at 410F but lately I've been cranking it up to max. Do you think this is too high or do you think I should just go with 410F until it just stops spitting vapor? I always get two decent bags out of a tightly hand packed capsule.. sometimes 3 with the last bag being very thin and whispy. Using the 40 capsule filling chamber set, I still get two bags but not a 3rd ever.
I load a capsule set to 446 and I get 1 thick bag, usually 2 caps and I am where I need to be. It is a little harsh, but not too bad. I have some new glass coming today or tomorrow, I will try filtering it

HughJass

Does anyone have any good alternatives to the 28mm ‘filler’ or ‘liquid’ pads? (Or a source to still get some at a Decent price)

The firefly pads seem to be a good alternative for the small/reduced chamber size, but I’m looking for something that will do the same job for the 28mm easy valve chamber. (Has anyone tried mangling two or more small pads into a single large pad before?)

I missed the discontinuation boat but I’d like to start using my volcanos for regular herbs, possibly even to diffuse some of them into the air- including some more resinous materials. Which leads me to looking for extra pads to try it out and see if it even works.
The price on the second hand market though :o I just can’t justify paying anywhere near the $30 for what was a $3 pad..

Socks And Sandals

I read somewhere that the true medical Volcano has a lower max temp and maybe no app interface….possibly I’m remembering that right.

I think temp is just personal preference. Like you said the vapor starts to get harsh when the goes up so I don’t push it, I just pack another bowl.
Yeah I know it is. I just find it funny that even running it at 446 the ABV still doesn't get as dark brown as I can get from my Flowerpot B2. I just wanted to get some kind of consensus here and where people stop at.

Yeah the max temp for all 3 of their "Medical Vapormed" devices maxes out at 410F.. the Mighty+ Medic, Volcano Medic 2 and the Mighty Medic. I haven't been to that site in a while, but you sparked my interest. I'll experiment with different temps for sure knowing that I'm never going to combust.. even at 446F.
I load a capsule set to 446 and I get 1 thick bag, usually 2 caps and I am where I need to be. It is a little harsh, but not too bad. I have some new glass coming today or tomorrow, I will try filtering it
Can you get a 2nd bag at 446 after the first one with the same cap? Or is it just too harsh and nasty to be worth it? I haven't tried starting a 2nd bag at 446 with the same cap yet because I usually go from 490F directly to 410 or 446F. I've also temp stepped 3 bags with one cap (if you can call the 3rd whispy bag a real bag) starting at 370 to 390 and then to 410 or 446.

I got the Obsidian and it works great but I'm now dying to see if one capsule can yield 2 bags both at 446. I'd imagine you're right about doing one bag due to the possible bad flavor on the 2nd at 446F.. I'll have to do some experimenting!

StoneyBeached

Yeah I know it is. I just find it funny that even running it at 446 the ABV still doesn't get as dark brown as I can get from my Flowerpot B2. I just wanted to get some kind of consensus here and where people stop at.

Yeah the max temp for all 3 of their "Medical Vapormed" devices maxes out at 410F.. the Mighty+ Medic, Volcano Medic 2 and the Mighty Medic. I haven't been to that site in a while, but you sparked my interest. I'll experiment with different temps for sure knowing that I'm never going to combust.. even at 446F.

Can you get a 2nd bag at 446 after the first one with the same cap? Or is it just too harsh and nasty to be worth it? I haven't tried starting a 2nd bag at 446 with the same cap yet because I usually go from 490F directly to 410 or 446F. I've also temp stepped 3 bags with one cap (if you can call the 3rd whispy bag a real bag) starting at 370 to 390 and then to 410 or 446.

I got the Obsidian and it works great but I'm now dying to see if one capsule can yield 2 bags both at 446. I'd imagine you're right about doing one bag due to the possible bad flavor on the 2nd at 446F.. I'll have to do some experimenting!
I only get 1 bag per cap. I tried a second and it's basically just hot air. I saw Jerry do it on a 420 vape zone podcast (I think) and tried it. After 2 bags I'm usually really good.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
So the hybrid at 446 with the reducer doesn't get as dark avb as my mighty? Am I missing something? It should be nearly black at that temp but it looks more like a 380 degree mighty bowl.

Socks And Sandals

I only get 1 bag per cap. I tried a second and it's basically just hot air. I saw Jerry do it on a 420 vape zone podcast (I think) and tried it. After 2 bags I'm usually really good.
I did manage to get a 2nd bag out of it at 446. It wasn't very tasty but it was still pretty cloudy. Maybe it's our strains and humidity level I would assume. I never use humidity packs and even leave my ground up herb in my bowls ready to go over night. Hell, I've even left my BCG grinder out all night with the ceiling fan on while I sleep lol.

Although I did kinda lose respect for that Vape Critic guy when he started doing live streams.. One thing I remember he said in one of his earlier videos was that the herb needed to be very dry to produce more vapor. I dunno, for some reason that stuck in my head. It might have to do with the strain and humidity levels.

So the hybrid at 446 with the reducer doesn't get as dark avb as my mighty? Am I missing something? It should be nearly black at that temp but it looks more like a 380 degree mighty bowl.
Just the reducer no cap? I only had a mighty for about a week and I loved it. I returned it because I thought it was abnormal for the temp to drop so much and when I asked everyone here they said it was normal. I'll eventually get a Mighty + down the line if that Tiny Might 2 doesn't scratch my itch.

I have no clue why the abv didn't match up. Did you also not use a capsule in your mighty like you did with the volcano? I've never seen black ABV from a Storz and Bickle vape yet. I mean when you remove it, it looks like a really dark brown, but notice when you put it in a jar for cooking later.. It always brightens up some. Never understood that.. Seems to me that the Volcano would be more powerful since it's a desktop AC vape and the fact that it can reach 446F.

If you try another strain let me know, maybe that's it?

Socks And Sandals,

DadaBoo

B2, Mighty+, M/Omni, Volcano Hybrid, TM2, Anvil
Yeah I found the same, it's noticeably lighter than the Mighty in my experience. However I find that I can considerably darken the roast by leaving it to heat soak for 2+ mins.

I find if I put the bowl on and fan a bag immediately, I get a convection biased and lighter avb. Leaving the bowl on to heat soak and I get a hybrid bag with darker roast.

LaughingDog

I am new to the hybrid and have not read this thread so excuse me if this tech for the reducer has been mentioned before. I got the reducer bowl filled it with herb closed it up and was shocked when I opened it and herb was all over as everyone here already knows. I tried a couple of things with screens etc, until I found the perfect solution. which occured while I was trying out the dose capsule. I did not care for it. I found the flavor a bit off and I couldn't use the full capacity of the reducer bowl. Plus I really like the reducer bowl which seems quite nice.

What now works really well for me is to fill the reducer bowl to just below full and then wedge the lid of a dose canister on top. This work really well to concentrate the herb and hot air while maximizing the herb. The fit seems perfect for this and so far the lid has not dislodged. The vapor is awesome, this is a beast!

I'm amazed at how easy to clean it all is. I've moved to the Volcano Hybrid from a Ditanium which I still use for dabs but much less frequently. The original chamber is just too big for me, even with the pad to make it smaller. I'm running this through water and it works better than any other vape I've used. This really strikes me as medical grade equipment. Cheers!

Socks And Sandals

I am new to the hybrid and have not read this thread so excuse me if this tech for the reducer has been mentioned before. I got the reducer bowl filled it with herb closed it up and was shocked when I opened it and herb was all over as everyone here already knows. I tried a couple of things with screens etc, until I found the perfect solution. which occured while I was trying out the dose capsule. I did not care for it. I found the flavor a bit off and I couldn't use the full capacity of the reducer bowl. Plus I really like the reducer bowl which seems quite nice.

What now works really well for me is to fill the reducer bowl to just below full and then wedge the lid of a dose canister on top. This work really well to concentrate the herb and hot air while maximizing the herb. The fit seems perfect for this and so far the lid has not dislodged. The vapor is awesome, this is a beast!

I'm amazed at how easy to clean it all is. I've moved to the Volcano Hybrid from a Ditanium which I still use for dabs but much less frequently. The original chamber is just too big for me, even with the pad to make it smaller. I'm running this through water and it works better than any other vape I've used. This really strikes me as medical grade equipment. Cheers!
I can also confirm that this is true whenever not using the dosing capsule. 2 others in this thread have also confirmed it recently. I just wanted to try it out once.. Sure enough herb was everywhere. This doesn't happen with a full chamber though filled up to the metal contact points. As far as the flavor goes, I haven't noticed a difference between the chamber reducer and using a capsule. I have noticed the extreme difference not only in flavor but also cloud production when we just load a whole damn gram (or whatever it holds) into the full chamber. It not only tasted better than a dosing capsule but had better cloud production.

I do like the dosing caps though. Everytime I fill the full chamber, It sits there for 3 days.. nearly 3 to 4 sessions from it. Thats the main reason why I prefer the dosing capsules. Now if I was growing my own or getting it for free.. I wouldn't use anything but the full chamber.
I wasn't using capsules In either
Thanks for getting back. That's weird man, dunno really want to say. I would imagine the volcano to roast it darker. I believe you though, I didn't have both at the same time to compare. Just take notice as the abv cools, I think it tends to lighten up in color. Darkest ABV I ever had was all the times I combusted in my Dynavap. I sure have never combusted with my Flowerpot, EVO, Plenty, Volcano and my old mighty... not even once. Weird huh?

Look on the bright side tho, us S&B guys will never have to worry about combusting! :tup:

Last edited:

DavidVape

Owner, VapeWidgets.com
Retailer
Just wanted to make a post for anyone looking for O-Rings for a knock off Obsidian from AliExpress or other places this website sells them and also lists the sizes needed if you want to source your own.
  • Material: Silicone Rubber
  • Cross Section Shape: Round
  • Width: 1/8"
  • ID: 5/16", 3/8", 7/16"
  • OD: 9/16", 5/8", 11/16"

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Hey guys, my wife surprised me today with a volcano hybrid (she’s a keeper) for our 2 year wedding anniversary. I have had 3 classics on and off over the years but have never had a digi or a hybrid for that matter. And tips tricks, recommendations, or crib notes for this vape I should be aware of? Interested in the reducer for sure. Where the best spot to score that kit? How’s the app work? Still no apple support? Any tips are appreciated. thanks!

LaughingDog

Hey guys, my wife surprised me today with a volcano hybrid (she’s a keeper) for our 2 year wedding anniversary. I have had 3 classics on and off over the years but have never had a digi or a hybrid for that matter. And tips tricks, recommendations, or crib notes for this vape I should be aware of? Interested in the reducer for sure. Where the best spot to score that kit? How’s the app work? Still no apple support? Any tips are appreciated. thanks!
How wonderful! I recently came to the hybrid with no volcano experience at all. I don't like the bags and never use them, I run the hybrid through water and it is wonderful. I use the reducer bowl and dosing lid wedged in it. Works very well for me. I love running it through water, cool smooth hit after hit. I usually vape around 378 sometimes walk it from 358, 368, 378, 388. With the reducer I usually only hit it 4 times. I run the output of the volcano into a 14mm bong with two bubblers in it. Works great for me. I find the first hit is not quite as good as the second. Sometimes helps to let it heat up on the rig a bit before hitting it. Fun to play around with. Reminds me of these shotgun bottles we had in the 70s. Imagine a squeeze ketchup bottle where you put your joint into the mouth of the jar and screwed it back to the bottle, you could eject a great shotgun by squeezing the bottle. I don't know if such things exist today. Cheers and enjoy!

Last edited:

RJ in Canada

Reminds me of these shotgun bottles we had in the 70s. Imagine a squeeze ketchup bottle where you put your joint into the mouth of the jar and screwed it back to the bottle, you could eject a great shotgun by squeezing the bottle. I don't know if such things exist today. Cheers and enjoy!

Here ya go

Loved smoking this on my harley riding alongside my brother smokin and jokin not giving a shit what other people seeing it might think. Man, I miss the good old days. And for smokin prerolled the power hitter was the cat's ass!

Cereal4dinner

I always found the mighty to hit harder direct draw than the volcano hybrid at the same temps. I think because the volcano is more convection, you need to draw a lot more air through the herb to get the same hit as the mighty direct draw. the air function helps a lot tho, love that feature

LaughingDog

I always found the mighty to hit harder direct draw than the volcano hybrid at the same temps. I think because the volcano is more convection, you need to draw a lot more air through the herb to get the same hit as the mighty direct draw. the air function helps a lot tho, love that feature
I agree but I also find the volcano hybrid to be cooler even when both are through water. I agree about the density, but the effortless inhalation of the hybrid plus consistent vapor quality is much more enjoyable experience.

I can also confirm that this is true whenever not using the dosing capsule. 2 others in this thread have also confirmed it recently. I just wanted to try it out once.. Sure enough herb was everywhere. This doesn't happen with a full chamber though filled up to the metal contact points.

There's an easy solution to prevent the herb from "going everywhere" when using the Chamber Reducer without a dosing cap. The screen in the black section of the filling chamber (directly above the herb) should be domed downward so it slightly presses into the bowl of the Chamber Reducer. This will keep all the herb where it's supposed to be. You can dome the screen by sticking the blunt end of a cleaning brush down into the filling chamber and pressing the center of the screen into the palm of your hand.

Socks And Sandals

There's an easy solution to prevent the herb from "going everywhere" when using the Chamber Reducer without a dosing cap. The screen in the black section of the filling chamber (directly above the herb) should be domed downward so it slightly presses into the bowl of the Chamber Reducer. This will keep all the herb where it's supposed to be. You can dome the screen by sticking the blunt end of a cleaning brush down into the filling chamber and pressing the center of the screen into the palm of your hand.
I actually thought of doing this before but since I only have one of those screens left, I'll have to wait for my next purchase. Still though, I'm not a fan of bending the screen out of shape but you got good results right? I'll definitely try it when I re up on bags in a few months, I'll purchase some extra screens to experiment with it. Thanks man.:tup:

I still like the cleanliness the dosing capsules provide but there is something about filling that filling chamber (no reducer) full of a gram of herb for 2 to 4 sessions. I know it may get a little stale if you don't finish the full bowl in a day but there is just something about the way it hits natively with a full chamber compared to the dosing capsules.

I've never had an issue with the herb leaving the Chamber Reducer bowl at all when using this method. I don't think it really damages the screen either. The 'dome' isn't a significant bend since there isn't much slack there to adjust it to begin with. If the herb is packed well and there's a slight dome above it, it doesn't go anywhere in my experience.

Socks And Sandals

I've never had an issue with the herb leaving the Chamber Reducer bowl at all when using this method. I don't think it really damages the screen either. The 'dome' isn't a significant bend since there isn't much slack there to adjust it to begin with. If the herb is packed well and there's a slight dome above it, it doesn't go anywhere in my experience.
Thx for getting back. I'll give this a shot as soon as I re up on screens!

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
Just wanted to make a post for anyone looking for O-Rings for a knock off Obsidian from AliExpress or other places this website sells them and also lists the sizes needed if you want to source your own.
  • Material: Silicone Rubber
  • Cross Section Shape: Round
  • Width: 1/8"
  • ID: 5/16", 3/8", 7/16"
  • OD: 9/16", 5/8", 11/16"
Also letting everyone know we have our O-rings back in stock, as well as a new model of Obsidian that is much more affordable than our US made glass. We still offer the US made option as well, but we have enough trusted shops from international suppliers that we can confidently offer the same quality for a lower price. Everything ships from our warehouse in California, so no wait times for international shipping either. Cheers!

Top Bottom