Volcano Hybrid

WakeVape&Bake

after thinking about it, some things rub me the wrong way:

1. no acknowledgement of fucking up, they literally write "based on recent customer feedback" they have a new chamber solution, what is this for a pathetic phrasing? they THEMSELVES warned people about the aluminium residue. customers had melting plastic.
2. nothing about the melting plastic
3. no one knows how this affects conduction. if it gets badder than it was, people payed for something different than what they´ve got.
4. no reducer solution, why only for normal chamber size? the reducer has the even bigger part of aluminium, so they let people use this reducer further without any further information? strange...
5. what about those capsules? make them stainless steel too...
6. will a Hybrid revision have a stainless steel ring built in? if so, people having a Hybrid now will be stuck having the badder model where you have to put a second ring onto the aluminium ring?

something tells me this ride is far from over lol

Last edited:

BigC’sTowing

Looks like it will lose some of its conductive power with the ss bowl. But that’s the trade off.
The heating element will manage any
I emailed them on the 30th of December to see if they had been made aware of this issue in the Plenty, no response so far.

Although, I'm pretty sure the Plenty already has a stainless insert.
Yes, the Plenty is SS.

Got the mail a second ago

The question is, what do they do with people having two filling chambers? they give only one for free as far as i understood it...

but kudos that they came up with something and mailed everyone

edit: and what is with the reducer? seems like an insert for the normal chamber...

edit 2: and what about the melting plastic? :-)

I agree, I also have the reducer.

Does this constitute a manufacturing defect?

I’ll assume they’ll stop production, replace with SS and move on.

I’d like the all in one that works out of the box solution w/o the extra gimmicks to work properly.

Straight up return/replace in the future?

Eager to find out whether us Plenty people will be able to use this. Will find out soon I’m sure.
Plenty is already SS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron23

So I agree with those above that this will reduced conduction unless you really leave it on there a bit. Just slower thermal transfer with SS. So, I do like the conduction component...I like hybrid heating....and it may be well reduced by this but so be it.

I also think this may well resolve melting plastic as during the course of a normal use cycle, the SS may not get nearly as hot as the AL did. But I really have no numbers to back this up at all....just speculation.

Now, we all as a community have a LOT of experience over a wide range of industries. For me, early it was airborne electronics (avionics, etc) and for a longer period it was core telco network equipment. In both, reliability/availability/maintainability were really HUGE.

With that background in mind, I gotta say that S&B had to be full of shit if they said that they tested this thing to any significant degree. How can they not catch this. You accelerate testing by harsher conditions. Did they never leave a chamber on longer than they broadly recommend in the manual. FFS.....what in the world were they thinking?

Cheers and here's hoping that we still have conduction and that this resolves both of the outstanding issues.

BigC’sTowing

So I agree with those above that this will reduced conduction unless you really leave it on there a bit. Just slower thermal transfer with SS. So, I do like the conduction component...I like hybrid heating....and it may be well reduced by this but so be it.

I also think this may well resolve melting plastic as during the course of a normal use cycle, the SS may not get nearly as hot as the AL did. But I really have no numbers to back this up at all....just speculation.

Now, we all as a community have a LOT of experience over a wide range of industries. For me, early it was airborne electronics (avionics, etc) and for a longer period it was core telco network equipment. In both, reliability/availability/maintainability were really HUGE.

With that background in mind, I gotta say that S&B had to be full of shit if they said that they tested this thing to any significant degree. How can they not catch this. You accelerate testing by harsher conditions. Did they never leave a chamber on longer than they broadly recommend in the manual. FFS.....what in the world were they thinking?

Cheers and here's hoping that we still have conduction and that this resolves both of the outstanding issues.

You can teach an analog guy digital, but you can’t teach a digital guy analog.

I bet there’s a handful of engineers wanting to wring the necks of whomever made the call for inappropriate materials.

There’s no way this was vetted according to industry standards ie metallurgy, thermal conductivity, etc.

And, I don’t believe they’ll learn a lesson. Big Corp just doesn’t want to get it.

david8613

Wow they finally did something, but I'm still not 100% satisfied. they really should send us some store credit or a nice 30% coupon in addition to the new chambers and apologize. They really messed up, I barely used my volcano since i first purchased, it just sat there for a month. i am pissed that I sold my plenty and volcano classic to buy this, plus the stress wondering if I can get a refund or sell the thing. I almost sold mine locally last night, but he couldn't make it, he might come today. Not sure if I should go through with sale, or keep it. All this put a very bad taste in my mouth seriously. What do you guys say?

I have a feeling this ain't over, with stainless steel you retain more heat longer, that is gonna make the melting chambers even worse! Why didnt they give a new stainless steel chamber with new plastic housing made of better materials???? Its kind of stupid.

How long is it gonna take to get this new chamber? Are they already made ready to ship? Or we gonna have to wait more time???

It's also funny that I got an email first from bloomgroove not storz and bickle about this, wtf? Sorry for cursing.

I see its 2 pieces how is this gonna go in? I hope the flat ring part doesn't just lay on top of the aluminum. This has go in like the stock parts go in. If it just lays there its bullshit.

Last edited:

bigpropy

Looking at the replacements ring it seems like they just want us to put it on top of the aluminum ring. What I dont get is how is it going to stay in place? If it shifts when taking the chamber off and touches the plastic ring when heated, it will definitely be melting the plastic cylinder around the heating chamber.

I'm very disappointed that I spent my hard earned money on a very expensive device that is faulty! I'm done with S&B moving forward. Us owners who purchased this during this whole fiasco are really getting the short end of the stick.

CastIronHits

Slightly Crispy
I was going to order the replacement ring but there is no option for the United States under the country drop-down menu. I can select the US site, but no option to select my country for shipping. What the fuck?

CastIronHits,

Vapenayshyall

I was going to order the replacement ring but there is no option for the United States under the country drop-down menu. I can select the US site, but no option to select my country for shipping. What the fuck?
You are probably on the EU site. It’s a pain in the ass trying to get to the proper site but if you go to support and scroll to the bottom you will see the chamber reducer in USD and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

WakeVape&Bake

slept over it and yeah, this ring+ SS inlay solution seems rather half baked...it is literally a ring you have to put on the aluminium ring and it seems it is loose and nothing you can really put tight on the aluminium. if this is the case, think about the loose hot ring somehow falling off the device and on someones expensive carpet, cat or something like that...

furthermore i am suspecting that they will change production to an built in SS ring on the Hybrid so the owners with the "old Hybrid" have a device which has a half baked solution...

if you wanna sell this thing in the future you basically have the shit version where buyers will say "ah, you have the old one where you have to put the ring on, the new ones have this built in" so the second hand value will be not as high as with a new model

i am thinking about selling the thing even more now if i am honest...i´ll wait for this ring but i think there will be new problems rising up with this "solution" which seems like a rather fast shot considering they
don´t even have reducer replacements or new plastic housings. that there aren´t reducer replacements is a bad joke, so i have to use this party bowl solo now?

and one thing is for sure, if S & B wouldn´t have the "medical status" they wouldn´t have reacted this fast. i think this is the whole driving force behind this "solution", they are concerned to lose their medical status with the Hybrid so they came up with this inlay and ring. somehow it all seems not very thought out, from the built in aluminium ring to this solution. why didn´t they use stainless steel from the beginning?

imo, the right thing to do would have been a statement followed by a recall, a complete redesign and the option to get the money back or the new device when it is ready. furthermore the whole handling of the situation is not adequate and between silently updating guidelines and now releasing some SS ring and inlay, the customers are still left in the dark about all this...

Last edited:

lokiki

Given some time to think about it, doesn't ss retain heat longer than aluminium?
This will be even worse on the chamber housings as they are now..

Also what was said before about the ring just sitting on top.
I don't think it can fall off easily as the machine will be stable on a table BUT the plastic around there will also get way hotter...
and as mentiones before, if they take it into production then we will all have the "old hybrid 1.0 with the ring on top" making it a pretty shit solution I think.
( sorry for the language )

I don't want to judge before trying this chamber out for myself so not jumping to conclusions. just thoughts that occurred

also,
they didn't take any blame for it or have transparency about why they do this and just call it a replacement ring.. weird!

WakeVape&Bake

Given some time to think about it, doesn't ss retain heat longer than aluminium?
This will be even worse on the chamber housings as they are now..

Also what was said before about the ring just sitting on top.
I don't think it can fall off easily as the machine will be stable on a table BUT the plastic around there will also get way hotter...
and as mentiones before, if they take it into production then we will all have the "old hybrid 1.0 with the ring on top" making it a pretty shit solution I think.
( sorry for the language )

I don't want to judge before trying this chamber out for myself so not jumping to conclusions. just thoughts that occurred

also,
they didn't take any blame for it or have transparency about why they do this and just call it a replacement ring.. weird!

same here, was just writing thoughts and don´t want to write it off too early but yeah, new questions arise with this release and just saying "because of customers feedback we now have changed to SS" is really scummy. it is not because of customers feedback, it is because the design of this device was not thought out and not properly tested!

they try their best to get around giving a real explanation/reason for this sudden change and imo they are really trying to satisfy users with a 13bucks inlay instead of saying "Hybrid will be redesigned to SS heating ring in the future, you can get your money back or exchange to the new hybrid when it is ready". it is a much cheaper solution for them to just provide this ring+inlay...and it prevents them from having to do any statement at all which just seems wrong. for normal users it will be like "oh, they changed to SS, all right" they won´t question this decision at all

The Hybrid is a crippled device now somehow... as Apple users have no access to the app anymore the workflow selling point is moot and now you have to put another ring on top of the aluminium which may very well impact the fast heating capabilities of the device...

i would have liked a whole new rockstable chamber...i think i will write them an long email that i am not satisfied at all with this device and how they handle the situation

Last edited:

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
11-48.png
The new stainless steel ring that comes with the stainless steel lower chamber goes over the aluminum conduction ring on the Hybrid. This way when you put the new stainless steel chamber on, The plastic housing wont heat up. Causing more convection and less conduction. Which I believe the Hybrid is capable of. I've been using the ss chamber from my Classic Volcano and have been getting excellent results already.

Last edited:

WakeVape&Bake

11-48.png
The new stainless steel ring that comes with the stainless steel lower chamber goes over the aluminum conduction ring on the Hybrid. This way when you put the new stainless steel chamber on, The plastic housing wont heat up. Causing more convection and less conduction. Which I believe the Hybrid is capable of. I've been using the ss chamber from my Classic Volcano and have been getting excellent results already.

for a device of this price the solution they are trying to pass off as "product update" is laughable...it is a 13 bucks SS insert to circumvent a big recall. it is literally the most cheapish thing they could come up with. and they are basically gimping their own innovation if the new ring lessens the conduction capability, which was one of the selling points of the Hybrid.

i could swear people will be up in arms and the whole thing will blow up in S & B´s faces if they find out that newer Hybrids will have the SS ring built into the device. and that is happening 99% imo.

that they don´t acknowledge anything is just the cherry on top. i won´t be buying anything from this company again, that is for sure. this whole affair is like a slap in the face to me. "here, take your free ring, all is good! nothing to see here, just move on" thats not how this works

in essence, everyone should write them a drastic mail, asking if they are serious or if they really think their customers are dumb...

other question: what is with the metal insert in the black part of the chamber, is this also aluminium? if so you have an aluminium heater blowing hot air to an ss ring through an ss inlay encased in plastic but this exits through an aluminium part? what a mess..this device is a complete mess from an engineering perspective

Last edited:

btka

I am curious regarding the ss ring... if you really only put it on top of the old aluminium heating ring, I am wondering if there will be no friction from ss ring on the aluminium ring... and if that would be the case I can think that the harder ss ring scratching on the old aluminium ring when putting the heating chamber on will produce even more aluminium dust/particles...

But as far as nobody until now know how the ss ring is installed this is pure speculation...

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
for a device of this price the solution they are trying to pass off as "product update" is laughable...it is a 13 bucks SS insert to circumvent a big recall. it is literally the most cheapish thing they could come up with. and they are basically gimping their own innovation if the new ring lessens the conduction capability, which was one of the selling points of the Hybrid.

i could swear people will be up in arms and the whole thing will blow up in S & B´s faces if they find out that newer Hybrids will have the SS ring built into the device. and that is happening 99% imo.

that they don´t acknowledge anything is just the cherry on top. i won´t be buying anything from this company again, that is for sure. this whole affair is like a slap in the face to me. "here, take your free ring, all is good! nothing to see here, just move on" thats not how this works

in essence, everyone should write them a drastic mail, asking if they are serious or if they really think their customers are dumb...

other question: what is with the metal insert in the black part of the chamber, is this also aluminium? if so you have an aluminium heater blowing hot air to an ss ring through an ss inlay encased in plastic but this exits through an aluminium part? what a mess..this device is a complete mess from an engineering perspective
The upper valve is made of ss. The lower herb chamber was made of medical grade aluminum to conduct more heat.

Vaporooni,
Reactions: lokiki

david8613

I wrote them, I don't think this is a proper fix for such an expensive device. They should RMA all hybrids and replace everything properly. Laying basically a steel washer i can get at home depot over an aluminum ring is not a fix, that's so bootlegged. Very unhappy....

Last night I cleaned up my hybrid really good and used it for the first time, my god it is such a fantastic vape, I couldn't even finish a second bag, she slapped me silly. So efficient, so fast and that vapor, wow!!! I wish we weren't going through this crap.

snamuh

ghost
I am curious regarding the ss ring... if you really only put it on top of the old aluminium heating ring, I am wondering if there will be no friction from ss ring on the aluminium ring... and if that would be the case I can think that the harder ss ring scratching on the old aluminium ring when putting the heating chamber on will produce even more aluminium dust/particles...

But as far as nobody until now know how the ss ring is installed this is pure speculation...

This.

Wtf.

Speechless.

Seriously. It's like they think we are dumb.

Man...

Mind blowing.

Mines gone btw. Done with it.

snamuh,

Mtb123

I wrote them, I don't think this is a proper fix for such an expensive device. They should RMA all hybrids and replace everything properly. Laying basically a steel washer i can get at home depot over an aluminum ring is not a fix, that's so bootlegged. Very unhappy....

Last night I cleaned up my hybrid really good and used it for the first time, my god it is such a fantastic vape, I couldn't even finish a second bag, she slapped me silly. So efficient, so fast and that vapor, wow!!! I wish we weren't going through this crap.

Agreed 100%. I bought mine the day before this storm started. I love this device. I wish they would do a proper fix but I am happy something was done. I very much enjoy this device.

david8613

I would advise everyone to send storz and bickle and an email to ask how this works? If that stainless steel ring just lays on top of aluminum ring that's is a bullshit fix. They should RMA all hybrids and replace the aluminum parts for stainless steel. They did not even address the melting plastics??? I sent them an email, I advise you to do the same.

My email:
I have a question, I see your replacing the aluminum chamber with a new stainless chamber which is good. The stainless steel should have been used in the first place. But I also see a stainless steel ring, will this replace the current aluminum ring or will the stainless steel ring just lay on top of aluminum ring? If the later is the case, then this is not a true fix. This is very bootlegged! I dont want a loose piece of hot steel flying around while I'm vaping! It can fall out and burn something or someone and or misplaced, its just another dumb piece I dont need to deal with! This should not be the case with such a high end and very expensive device! Storz & bickel should take full responsibility for a poor design and RMA all hybrids, redesign and replace all aluminum parts for stainless steel in the hybrid. This would be the right thing to do for your loyal customers. If this stainless steel ring just lays on top of aluminum ring, I would be very unhappy. this would be a disgrace and a slap in the face to your customers paying top dollar for the best vape experience. What can I do to get a full refund if I am not satisfied with your fix? I will wait for a full stainless steel version to be released and buy that instead. Please reply as soon as possible because I'm very frustrated and want answers to my questions.

Top Bottom