Volcano Hybrid

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Well, at this point they obviously are trying to find out a) what the fuck is the matter at all and b) how serious this matter actually is (and let's be honest, while the concerns are totally valid, we don't know yet). Until they found out they advice us to play it safe by cleaning the device after each usage. Which doesn't mean that this will be the final solution.

Again: not trying to defend S+B, I don't own any of their devices.

Last edited:

CANtalk

Crazy stuff going on in Volcano Hybrid land. I'm a big S&B fan of their portables and history, but have still made a point of never purchasing a new-to-market vaporizer. The Volcano Hybrid story reinforces my belief that the vaping market is still young and maturing... even the biggest manufacturers now haven't been immune to significant issues in a new vaporizer. May as well as roll the dice when buying new-to-market. It's unfortunate, but if dealing with vape issues is a real problem for anyone, then I'd recommend not buying new-to-market vapes for at least a year or two :2c:.

At least with S&B, I'd expect them to engineer a reasonable fix/replacement for the melting and aluminum particulate issues and owners will get the replacement pieces :myday:. It will be interesting (not for owners) to see how long this will take :hmm:. Hopefully not very long...

I find the Volcano Hybrid an interesting vape, but not in my top choices. I'm a fan of convection over hybrid and conduction heating as it has best-in class vapor in my experience. I'm not a fan of bags and don't need a monster-@$$ (:peace:) bowl either. The Volcano Hybrid obviously more efficiently extracts than the older Volcano models which are convection based (you can literally see it in side to side videos comparing bags), but that just means that the convection based heating design of the original Volcanoes was not optimized. OTOH, there are some very well-optimized premium convection heating designed vapes out there. And in use, premium convection heating designed vapes will generally be as efficient (or more) in extraction efficiency than the Volcano Hybrid. The price of the Volcano Hybrid brings a lot of different quality boutique vape competition. OTOH, while a number of these "other" vapes have even "big" bowls, the Volcano Hybrid has a monster-@$$ bowl :). Bigger bowls bring bigger vapor density. I don't need anything like that and have to take care as even in low temp vaping (320 F) I can make combuster friends cough hard with my "big" bowl vape. But I salute those that do want/enjoy Volcano-size bowls :nod:.

Sorry to hear about those caught out in this. It sucks to see the Volcano Hybrid problems :(. I hope it gets fixed quickly, painlessly and smoothly for everyone. Cheers to enjoying the Volcano Hybrid again soon.

Just some thoughts while vaping. YMMV.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

silverharbinger

Serious question why would you consider (if you do) a hybrid over a classic or digit if you aren’t looking for more features?

Unless there wasn't a way for a person to get any other version of the volcano I don't know why you would consider buying it except for features. Someone already brought up the faster heat up times which was the primary reason I bought one, and I've never had either a desktop vaporizer or one with a whip. It was a total learning experience for me, and what I learned is I love using the whip on this device. That is a definite YMMV, but I'm very glad it worked out that way.

In checking the S&B website just now I noticed they mention that the app is unavailable for apple devices, and it is important to re-iterate that to anyone who is considering buying this for workflows or iterations. Those of us who have had the hybrid for a while know this is the case and may not even think to mention it, but any perspective buyers may not notice this until they have it.

They also say, "High-quality materials and workmanship of the kind you are accustomed to from STORZ & BICKEL guarantee a long service life" which is giving me some laughs given how many of us have been giving them an endless amount of well-deserved :shit: about the quality of some of the materials used.

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
I wonder if any of you could put the whip through some water with an empty chamber, max temp and the pump on for a while. Then let the water evaporate and check with a microscope for metal dust that got trapped in the water. This could bring a definitive answer to the alluminium dust concerns and we would see how much of an issue it is.

Why don’t you cut a ballon and look with microscope!? Would be easier I think!

The balloon has a large surface area and the metal dust could stick anywhere. It would be impossible to quantify. Also you have a limited space for air inside a balloon. The best bet for detecting any contamination would be a narrow water filter to catch the particles, and a lot of air passing through that filter.

I’d really appreciate a definitive answer from an expert on the internet (thumbs up emoji)

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in that your water deposition idea was floated internally over here (pretty much as soon as these reports started coming in), and we’re working on a better analytical method than just optical microscopes for AlOx quantification and filtration effectiveness. It might take a bit, but we’re trying... not many analytical labs have been open and willing to work with us yet (or without charging ridiculous amounts). We’ll keep the community updated as we get more info. Cheers!

Mixio

TheVaporOne
I started using my volcano hybrid again. I had no problems with the plastic but I found gray dust. in the end it is enough to clean the metal ring every day and you will not find any residues ... I know it is such an unpleasant thing ... but I can guarantee you that apart from the problems (but we are sure it is a problem? I read that we absorb aluminum every day from the pots and foil and that everyone can absorb as many milligrams as their weight) no vaporizer can punch me in the face that gives me this ... with so little material ... I don't make myself capable silk always knocks me out (I've tried vaporizers ... not even the flowerpot combines me like this)
will be the effects of aluminum ???
however I await a clarification from the manufacturer!

WakeVape&Bake

Crazy stuff going on in Volcano Hybrid land. I'm a big S&B fan of their portables and history, but have still made a point of never purchasing a new-to-market vaporizer. The Volcano Hybrid story reinforces my belief that the vaping market is still young and maturing... even the biggest manufacturers now haven't been immune to significant issues in a new vaporizer. May as well as roll the dice when buying new-to-market. It's unfortunate, but if dealing with vape issues is a real problem for anyone, then I'd recommend not buying new-to-market vapes for at least a year or two :2c:.

At least with S&B, I'd expect them to engineer a reasonable fix/replacement for the melting and aluminum particulate issues and owners will get the replacement pieces :myday:. It will be interesting (not for owners) to see how long this will take :hmm:. Hopefully not very long...

I find the Volcano Hybrid an interesting vape, but not in my top choices. I'm a fan of convection over hybrid and conduction heating as it has best-in class vapor in my experience. I'm not a fan of bags and don't need a monster-@$$ (:peace:) bowl either. The Volcano Hybrid obviously more efficiently extracts than the older Volcano models which are convection based (you can literally see it in side to side videos comparing bags), but that just means that the convection based heating design of the original Volcanoes was not optimized. OTOH, there are some very well-optimized premium convection heating designed vapes out there. And in use, premium convection heating designed vapes will generally be as efficient (or more) in extraction efficiency than the Volcano Hybrid. The price of the Volcano Hybrid brings a lot of different quality boutique vape competition. OTOH, while a number of these "other" vapes have even "big" bowls, the Volcano Hybrid has a monster-@$$ bowl :). Bigger bowls bring bigger vapor density. I don't need anything like that and have to take care as even in low temp vaping (320 F) I can make combuster friends cough hard with my "big" bowl vape. But I salute those that do want/enjoy Volcano-size bowls :nod:.

Sorry to hear about those caught out in this. It sucks to see the Volcano Hybrid problems :(. I hope it gets fixed quickly, painlessly and smoothly for everyone. Cheers to enjoying the Volcano Hybrid again soon.

Just some thoughts while vaping. YMMV.

:peace: :leaf:

don´t really know if there are more efficient vaporizers than the Hybrid tbh...this thing is a beast when it comes to efficiency. and i don´t think any "premium convection vape" comes close to the Hybrid when considering that the device is ready to use in 40 seconds and you can extract a dosing capsule in no time with it.

and for the "big bowl"...there is a reducer exactly for people wanting smaller bowls, you can load 0.1 into the machine and it gives you effects where you have to consume 0.5 in other devices.

besides the problems with the plastic and metal the vaporizer itself is efficient to the maximum and one of the best that you can buy when it comes to efficiency and effects. it is a myth that these are made to fill a big bowl, you can also just put 0.1 in the machine and get stunning results from it. sure, it is no microdoser device but no S & B device is a microdosing master..

Poostuff

Please delete
I think this was a promotional tour with a Namaste rep but I like the video anyway. It’s almost 2 years old & probably posted here before, but if you want to see where your S&B vapes are made this is good to watch.
Also makes me wonder where & how my other vaporizers made & what the quality control is like.
I’m pretty confident these guys aren’t trying to fuck everyone over, but you can all make your own opinion if that’s still a thing.

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
don´t really know if there are more efficient vaporizers than the Hybrid tbh...this thing is a beast when it comes to efficiency. and i don´t think any "premium convection vape" comes close to the Hybrid when considering that the device is ready to use in 40 seconds and you can extract a dosing capsule in no time with it.

and for the "big bowl"...there is a reducer exactly for people wanting smaller bowls, you can load 0.1 into the machine and it gives you effects where you have to consume 0.5 in other devices.

besides the problems with the plastic and metal the vaporizer itself is efficient to the maximum and one of the best that you can buy when it comes to efficiency and effects. it is a myth that these are made to fill a big bowl, you can also just put 0.1 in the machine and get stunning results from it. sure, it is no microdoser device but no S & B device is a microdosing master..

You can microdose with all S&B devices using the liquid pad to cover the load! I often use the hybrid with the normal chamber and only cover the bottom, put the liquid pad on top! Then there is more flavor cause of more surface! Or you use the reducer with a capsule, fill it half and put a screen or liquid pad on top.
Vape on!

MegaMan2k

For low tolerance use i find that even a small small bag at "5" on the classic is actually too much, so i dont see the hybrid replacing that user group

However im beginning to get the feel from peoples comments and the videos of the dense smoke etc. that the hybrid could indeed be very real replacement for heavy users that are currently dabbing maybe?

MegaMan2k,
Reactions: Mixio

Baron23

I keep seeing the term "dust" used to describe the AL oxide residue that we have been able to get off of our heating rings with qtip and ISO and I believe some have used water.

I'm not sure that's the best term.

I have seen Troy's qtip pic and did it myself and did indeed lift some residue.

But I have not seen one of these qtips under a microscope showing particulate size.

I will do that myself when I get a chance.....I just have a cheapo USB microscope but its more than good enough for this.

See, to me dust sort of implies that if I banged it on a table or such that I would be able to knock it off and that the particulants are...well, large for that type of thing.

I suspect the AL oxide forms a coating and that we are wiping it off....but that its not really dust that will just blow with the wind into your lungs.

I have only seen one poster show a ring that had actual metallic damage...scratches and what looked like galling to me. Maybe others have had this also, but that's the only one I have seen. Other than that, it seems to me that it does indeed take some mechanical action (qtip) with some solvent or wetting agent (ISO or water) to lift this residue up.

Now, I'm not trying to convince anyone who has great concerns on this issue to use their Hybrid. That's each of ours personal choice.

But I am speculating and will try to see what I can see under a microscope.

As for testing water or bags for AL particles.......with what? Gas chromatography? That's big money, I believe. Does anyone know of a more simple test for the presence of AL or AL Oxide?

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
As for testing water or bags for AL particles.......with what? Gas chromatography? That's big money, I believe. Does anyone know of a more simple test for the presence of AL or AL Oxide?
Exactly. Chromatography, absorption spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy etc are all still on the table. We're discussing the best way to do this with some of the world's leading material scientists, and while some are on board with what we're doing, convincing the lab to actually let us do it is a whole 'nother beast. And yes, the extreme cost is another barrier we're trying to find ways to overcome....

Baron23

Exactly. Chromatography, absorption spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy etc are all still on the table. We're discussing the best way to do this with some of the world's leading material scientists, and while some are on board with what we're doing, convincing the lab to actually let us do it is a whole 'nother beast. And yes, the extreme cost is another barrier we're trying to find ways to overcome....

THIS ^^ is what S&B should be doing and the test results would either confirm a problem or put this issue to bed.

They should be doing this and doing it with complete transparency, IMO.

Thanks

Vapenayshyall

I started using my volcano hybrid again. I had no problems with the plastic but I found gray dust. in the end it is enough to clean the metal ring every day and you will not find any residues ... I know it is such an unpleasant thing ... but I can guarantee you that apart from the problems (but we are sure it is a problem? I read that we absorb aluminum every day from the pots and foil and that everyone can absorb as many milligrams as their weight) no vaporizer can punch me in the face that gives me this ... with so little material ... I don't make myself capable silk always knocks me out (I've tried vaporizers ... not even the flowerpot combines me like this)
will be the effects of aluminum ???
however I await a clarification from the manufacturer!
Lots of people avoid using aluminum in their daily life. There are lots of aluminum free alternatives. I don’t use aluminum pots, I use cast iron and carbon steel. I don’t use al baking wear, ceramics or glass for me. I use parchment paper not foil. Hell I use hippy deodorant that is al free. Since vaping appears to be a “healthier” alternative to smoking I’m sure it attracts a lot of health conscience consumers that aren’t interested in inhaling any sort of aluminum debris or plastic fumes period. The last vape I had concerns about inhaling plastic fumes or other unwanted materials was my first portable vape. The gpen elite pro. I can’t believe I am mentioning the volcano in the same breath lol

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
THIS ^^ is what S&B should be doing and the test results would either confirm a problem or put this issue to bed.

They should be doing this and doing it with complete transparency, IMO.

Thanks
Wouldn't it be great if they just came out and said they were working toward something like this? It would at least let us know what they're doing instead of leaving us without any information. The costs would be a drop in the bucket for them, and wouldn't force third party accessory makers like myself to try and figure out what the hell this crap is. Figuring out what it is, and how bad for our health it is, is the first step. How to fix it moving forward is another. The first should be totally transparent and open to the community, the second I can see being behind closed doors, but the fact that nothing has come out on either front is a slap in the face to the community.

david8613

Wouldn't it be great if they just came out and said they were working toward something like this? It would at least let us know what they're doing instead of leaving us without any information. The costs would be a drop in the bucket for them, and wouldn't force third party accessory makers like myself to try and figure out what the hell this crap is. Figuring out what it is, and how bad for our health it is, is the first step. How to fix it moving forward is another. The first should be totally transparent and open to the community, the second I can see being behind closed doors, but the fact that nothing has come out on either front is a slap in the face to the community.

this!!! with S&B quietly changing the cleaning procedures in the instruction manual its obvious they know there is a problem, and its not good for you, otherwise they would not ask us to clean it before every use. its a sneaky way of covering the problem, and protects them from being liable down the road. I don't like that crap, that's why my volcano is for sale.

bennyboy

Been a lurker of this thread, just got that in my email:

Dear Customer,

Based on recent customer feedback, we have improved the VOLCANO HYBRID filling chamber, which is now made of stainless steel. We will provide the updated filling chamber cylinder and a stainless-steel insert for the heating element to all HYBRID owners free of charge. Please visit the support section of our online shop to make a request for your replacement.In the meantime, we ask you to adhere to these cleaning and handling instructions.

These instructions, however, are only relevant until you receive the new filling chamber cylinder, which will come with simplified cleaning and handling guidelines.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to send us an email at info@storz-bickel.com.

-> https://www.storz-bickel.com/en/vh-filling-chamber-service

Last edited:

silverharbinger

Dear Customer,

Based on recent customer feedback, we have improved the VOLCANO HYBRID filling chamber, which is now made of stainless steel. We will provide the updated filling chamber cylinder and a stainless-steel insert for the heating element to all HYBRID owners free of charge. Please visit the support section of our online shop to make a request for your replacement.In the meantime, we ask you to adhere to these cleaning and handling instructions.

These instructions, however, are only relevant until you receive the new filling chamber cylinder, which will come with simplified cleaning and handling guidelines.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to send us an email at info@storz-bickel.com.

I was just writing that up, and I have placed an order with them for a replacement. There will be a link near the bottom of the support section where you can place an order for a standard-sized stainless steel chamber, and near the end of the ordering process you will supply your hybrid's serial number in order to have it sent for free.

I also emailed their support team to find out if they are planning to offer something similar for people who have a chamber reducer. I am currently waiting for a response about that.

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
VOLCANO HYBRID FILLING CHAMBER SERVICE.

To claim a replacement stainless-steel Filling Chamber Cylinder with a stainless-steel insert for the VOLCANO HYBRID Heating Element, add the item below to your cart and use the serial number of your VOLCANO HYBRID as a coupon code. Your claim will be processed as a free-of-charge order. Incoming orders will be processed as soon as possible, however, we ask for your understanding that delivery delays can occur depending on time of order receipt and shipping destination.
Express Shipping will not be considered for this item.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

1. Stainless Steel Cylinder with Insert

EUR 12.90

Add to Compare
11-48.png

Vapenayshyall

Dear Customer,

Weird seems that’s not available to me. What country are from?

edit: nvm found the link on the NA site, thanks!

WakeVape&Bake

Got the mail a second ago

The question is, what do they do with people having two filling chambers? they give only one for free as far as i understood it...

but kudos that they came up with something and mailed everyone

edit: and what is with the reducer? seems like an insert for the normal chamber...

edit 2: and what about the melting plastic? :-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom