• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Volcano Hybrid

Baron23

I'am missing @Baron23 too!
He posted a few times the absolutely most(imho) useful advice ever, on the Mighty.
:Use the bowl native with the liquid pad on top for micro dosing.
Holly mannoly, Soooo efficient.
I'm also missing his hilarious remarks about blocked nose and stuff from vaping.
"SNOT CITY" , :rofl::rofl:,Maaaan that remark had me in stitches, still does actually :lmao:.

@Baron23 I'm looking forward to your posts on the Volcano Hybrid.
(I have it in my sights, but holding of till bit more knowledge posted about the new toy on the block.):leaf:.
I suggest , we are looking forward to see your newest posts on the New Fuck combustion site.:rockon:
I still have absolutely no idea what @Poostuff was trying to say....baffled, really.

As for the hybrid, mine is still working perfectly. I have no charring or melting of any plastic part of the housing and I have no issues with the device at all.

I let the oven sit on the unit for 90 seconds of preheat then hit the fan.

I don't use the profiles or whatever they call them in the app. The one thing I really do like about the app is the ability to change the auto-shutoff to, I believe, 4 hours which I did.

I have the whip, but don't really use it very often. For me, the Volcano is a bit of a weed hog and I use it for those nights where I just need fast, strong medication before bed. For that, I like the bags. I thought I would hate bags before I got my old Digit, but I find them to be great for my purposes.

I'm generally putting any where from about .3 - .45 g in the oven, pre-heat, run at 446 F, and that bag just will knock me out. I do try for a second bag, but if its too wispy (strain dependent IME) I shut it down and I'm ok with the level of extraction I get.

I do kind of which that they stayed with the more tactile buttons on the Digit for the Hybrid, but I kind of understand why they changed based on manf costs and costs to repair failed mechanical switches. I just find the flat film switches on the Hybrid to be very sensitive...so, I just be a bit more deliberate with them. But frankly, I like tactile switches. For example, my Acura MDX has a lot of touch screen controls which you have to look at to properly actuate. But with older vehicles with actual switches you can feel the buttons and generally do things like change a radio station without having to look. Just me I guess...I'm an old fart...but I do think something in the user interface is lost with these touch screen implementations.

Cheers and see you over on new FC.

conanOrien

That makes two of us :uhoh:
Anyway I’m working with S&B to see if it’s me or the Hybrid, looks it’s gonna take some time.

Best wishes on that brudda. I think your unit may be infused with the spirit of the Fire Lord Ozai :uhoh:...

If that's the case then you're lucky a few housings are all that got melted :rofl:!

conanOrien,
Reactions: Poostuff
hey guys should i buy one of these now that they've released v2 of the bowl or is it still a no-go? I do have a classic, but was thinking about upgrading because i like how the hybrid is basically a classic & mighty put together.

ultronwascorrect,
Reactions: blackstone

justcametomind

hey guys should i buy one of these now that they've released v2 of the bowl or is it still a no-go? I do have a classic, but was thinking about upgrading because i like how the hybrid is basically a classic & mighty put together.
It seemed to me like it’s not a no go anymore, the new parts didn’t receive substantial criticism iirc. You should go back a few pages. It’s easy since you can scroll for pics of the new parts and that’s where you’ll find the comments you are looking for. I have a digit, some say workflows and whip mode are worth the cost but imho the main thing is still the bag and we both can be served well by the previous gen Volcanoes we have. The aluminum dust is just the first issue to come up, but the system is pretty new so many other could follow. There are some advancements like touch screen and Bluetooth that I don’t like because I think they make the unit more fragile and prone to issues than before.

SquirrelMaster

When you say it's like a Mighty and Volcano put together, are you referring to the Hybrid heating?

SquirrelMaster,

blackstone

I should have a Hybrid by Monday it was a good deal.
I have a Digit but I mostly use it for reclaim as I much prefer the punch I get from a Crafty+ with small amounts like 0.08 or 0.1, no matter how high I turn the Digit up.
Am hoping that the Hybrid with whip will give me the same effects (or better!?) as the Crafty+ for the same amounts loaded.
Was waiting patiently for a Mighty+ but it may never come, always had a soft spot for these Hybrids, it was a really good deal, and we are lucky to get any vape in these times I think!

Edit- I don't know if mine will come with the new updated bowl and ring or the old but if it's the old I think I just get in touch with the maker.
I ordered a reducer and additional housing from S&B so I'll need to get familiar with those in use.

Last edited:

Baron23

Edit- I don't know if mine will come with the new updated bowl and ring or the old but if it's the old I think I just get in touch with the maker.

I would be very surprised if you got the OG oven parts and not the newer ceramic coated ones.

Did you order from S&B or a major online retailer or from a local head shop....I think with the local shop, there may be a greater chance of getting old stock rather than the latest.

SquirrelMaster

I should have a Hybrid by Monday it was a good deal.
I have a Digit but I mostly use it for reclaim as I much prefer the punch I get from a Crafty+ with small amounts like 0.08 or 0.1, no matter how high I turn the Digit up.
Am hoping that the Hybrid with whip will give me the same effects (or better!?) as the Crafty+ for the same amounts loaded.
Was waiting patiently for a Mighty+ but it may never come, always had a soft spot for these Hybrids, it was a really good deal, and we are lucky to get any vape in these times I think!

I ordered a reducer and additional housing from S&B so I'll need to get familiar with those in use.

I find the Hybrid with a dosing cap through the whip hits harder then my Mighty with a dosing cap. The Hybrid takes a few seconds longer to start pumping clouds from a cold start but it doesn't take long to heat soak.

If it doesn't have the updated part (I'd be amazed if it didn't) here's the link for the replacement https://www.storz-bickel.com/en/vh-filling-chamber-service

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
I find the Hybrid with a dosing cap through the whip hits harder then my Mighty with a dosing cap. The Hybrid takes a few seconds longer to start pumping clouds from a cold start but it doesn't take long to heat soak.

If it doesn't have the updated part (I'd be amazed if it didn't) here's the link for the replacement https://www.storz-bickel.com/en/vh-filling-chamber-service
Is Storz & Bickle still in business?
I did all that nothing heard for months now

tennisguru1,

blackstone

I would be very surprised if you got the OG oven parts and not the newer ceramic coated ones.

Did you order from S&B or a major online retailer or from a local head shop....I think with the local shop, there may be a greater chance of getting old stock rather than the latest.

It was an online retailer, not really a major one though and there was a 21% discount off retail so I thought it might be some early stock.
Well as it turns out, for the first time ever for my region I got a Saturday delivery and the Hybrid was at my door this morning!
And inside there was a big silver sticker on the front to say "new ceramic coated filling chamber"! So yeah it has the new parts already fitted thanks!
I am very impressed with what it does with loads of 0.1 and under, from the power and long lasting effects to the ABV color it works amazing.
It's obvious the heated bowl is very hot and makes the toasty difference! So it does exactly what I hoped it would by matching my strongest portable.
And I haven't even tried bags yet.
I was surprised the amount of new heater/parts washer smell at first but I should have wiped and let it at full temperature for a while first. The taste was nice after a few uses.
The heat up time is very quick, and I notice the outer cone doesn't get warm for a long time so there must be more or better insulation inside this one too.
I just turned off Bluetooth and use it my own way so far, nice!
Definitely one spur of the moment purchase that I'm very glad I made so far. And the unexpected early weekend delivery really worked out perfect for me.:clap::science:

Cool! Yes it has the new parts already.
My reducer doesn’t get here till Tuesday but even with using a pad in the large bowl it hits as hard or harder than the S&B portables I agree!
It's amazing that they got it to work like this, as no amount of heatsoaking on the regular Volcano will make this vapor. But the top of this Hybrid will nearly scald you even at around 100C so it's easy to see it gets much hotter in the bowl.
They do say in the start guide to run the fan a little (5s) to prime the load, but it is nice to do this yourself too!
I'm very happy with what it's shown me so far today like the performance, and both direct draw and putting the whip on a water pipe and the other possibilities like I cant wait to do some reclaim or maybe kief direct draw through water.
Very versatile unit and it works really well for me so far.

Does everybody else have a tan color PEEK top rim on the spout of the bowl top that protrudes into the bag when filling? Never saw it in pictures yet but looks like it's there to prevent hands being burnt on bare metal?
Thank you!

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
What's going on?
S&B out of Business?
Canopy bankrupt?
No reply to my emails
Won't honor warranty on my new hybrid?

tennisguru1,

Magma_Industries

Accessory Maker
@blackstone The PEEK tip on the chamber is the new Hybrid Valve style and is normal, no need to worry!

@tennisguru1 They are still in business, but you are going through the patented Storz & Bickel customer service experience, lol. I'd keep emailing them and maybe place a call to the North American branch (that's the best luck we've had actually getting someone on the phone).

Is Storz & Bickle still in business?
I did all that nothing heard for months now

For real, wtf is going on? I have an order from NOVEMBER that hasnt even been shipped yet, I placed 2 other orders at the start of MAY, Nothing.

What a joke of a company. I told you guys, When Canopy bought them, it was GG, Canopy is BILLIONS in the hole, Ya'll think they aren't going to cut corners? Of course they are and have.

Green Kiwi

What a frustrating experience This must be@key-investment, and @tennisguru1 :(.

I am a bit puzzled, why S&B, as a company not communicates more with us:their customers.:huh:.
It's a shame a company with such awesome products , can't get their connection with the community right.

I can absolutely imagine the the corona interfered with their operating and production, BUT geeeez, is it really that hard to hire a few people to inform at least your customers wat's going on:2c:.
This is not customer friendly and I hope they improve this problem right now, otherwise this might cost them quite a few more customers.

Clearly the management of S&B, give's this lack of communication, not much thought.
(and that makes me doubt the competence of the management).

UnidenWallet

I placed an order with Storz-Bickel back in the beginning of May for the 'Magazine with 8 Drip Dosing Capsules." These are the ones that contain a liquid pad for concentrates.

Waited 6 weeks for it to arrive. Instead they sent me the regular Magazine with 8 Dosing Capsules :mad: This is beyond frustrating. Just sent them an email. :doh:

UnidenWallet,
Reactions: Green Kiwi

SquirrelMaster

For real, wtf is going on? I have an order from NOVEMBER that hasnt even been shipped yet, I placed 2 other orders at the start of MAY, Nothing.

What a joke of a company. I told you guys, When Canopy bought them, it was GG, Canopy is BILLIONS in the hole, Ya'll think they aren't going to cut corners? Of course they are and have.

When your November order hadn't shipped you still placed another order 7 months later? How many times have you contacted them for each order? Canopy is a poorly run company absolutely, but I've heard customer service horror stories that go back years so I don't think that was the straw that broke that camels back. If they didn't get back to me after that long I'd be issuing a charge back through my credit card company to give them a kick in the ass. I've heard good customer service stories as well, but with COVID they are not in good shape.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: Green Kiwi
This is my first post here because FC would not allow my acct to post in the 8 months I have been registered. Most of the time I am at ICMag. I ordered my Hybrid from Creme City Vapes back on black Friday at a great price. There was the delay for the chamber redesign, and they were great about it at CCV. I will deal with them again. I got the unit with the new bowls in Feb I think, way before it was discussed here. As background, I have had a digit for 3-4 years, and went through a whole lot of bags. Gave it to a friend when I got the hybrid

What the hybrid does so much better is the heated chamber, and the whip. IMO, somebody should make a heated chamber for the older models, that has a PID control and still lets the air through. The material chamber fixing securely is also nice, like if you have a Magma or use a whip. Makes a stable base. The whip will fit the digit chamber, but why, because you have to use the fan to heat the material as the volitile compounds are shedding. Those include plant materiaI like chlorophyll. I only use the whip now, bags are a thing of the past.

This is because I am only trying to get the terps off the ground flower, before the chlorophyll starts shedding. I have (had?) COPD/asthma and have been able to discontinue expensive symbacort inhalers due to this method. Essential oil therapy turbocharged. I load the chamber 1/2 full or more. I like to make a birdnest shape bowl in the material, so the outside - where the heat is coming from - gets nice and heated. The thinner center area will get the hot air blast. I put the chamber on, wait 10 seconds for it to heat (I do 2 deep breaths ending with a full exhale) - then turn on the fan and take a full power hit using the whip. And the head rush is fantastic.

The terps are vaporized and released, as well as some of the actives. At this point the material is ABV, to be used in butter for my kick ass cookies. Most of the actives in the oil is still on the ABV.

Sucking the terps off flower has greatly improved my lung function, and how I feel. I no longer hack and cough, and do not hack up any color if I do, like first thing in the AM. Terps are a solvent. The whip has stayed clean, even though I have 35 hrs on this thing, all on the whip. I think those terps have cleaned out my lungs. Ever notice how sticky and hard to remove oil is? Then imagine your lungs. The inside of bags are another indication. I used to clean them out with everclear, to get the sticky oil when they stick together inside. Terps are the cleaning solvent IMO. My SPO2 is better, measured with a pulse oxymeter. I am 65, and abused my lungs for years smoking mex bagweed with a beer can. This is real medicine for me. Whip is my preferred method.

I use 410*F as the setting. The reason this works for me is - I am avoiding the chlorophyll that seems to shed at the end of the hit if I heat too long or draw too much. It stinks, and makes me cough. There is a fine line, and my setting seems to be the best for me. If you use a bag on a digit/classic, you will get chlorophyll, no matter the temp setting although a half bag at 360* started to taste kinda OK. You can let a bag sit a few minutes, which helps, cause the stuff is condensing on the bag wall.

This is quality organic material and I try to cure it right. The ABV color is still green, but a tad darker as the light green has cooked. Once it has cooled and stopped off gassing chlorophyll, the ABV is odorless because the terps are gone. You could almost wave it under a cops nose. Yeah, this technique uses a lot of material, but you get it back in the cookies. 75gr ABV (assume 10% actives) goes into 1.25# butter. That makes about 100 cookies. No de-carb necessary. Don't forget the lechithin!

Because I am not excessively heating the chamber and material by leaving the chamber on the machine longer than 20 secs (10 pre-heat, 10 for the power hit), the orange lower part isn't breaking. I did forget to take a hit once and the chamber stayed on the 'cano for a couple minutes. That made the orange base get way too hot, and one of the retaining clips has busted off. I will get another of those, maybe on warrantee when I return the base. That material was wasted BTW.

My display started fading like the one posted here, after maybe 3 weeks of use. That only gets worse, and doesn't otherwise affect the use. I know it's hot when the fan comes on. I have a RMA#, but hate to send this to Oakland cause I hate to not have it. I think they are shutdown now anyways for covid.

I will get another desktop or portable, to use while the cano is getting fixed, but it has to have a heated chamber that I can pre-heat before the fan comes on. The terp shed technique just works so well for me. Maybe an Arize, we'll see. Maybe another hybrid, and I can send my old one down the line after it gets fixed, and some brother can see what I have been saying...

I have a rosin press, and rosin has no green plant material, so no chlorophyll. The rosin on the pad is OK, but the rosin oil will soak down through, being thin from the terps, and I suspect is dripping down into the unit. I only use it for ground flower, and do rosin other ways.

I doubt I will check in here much for questions, so I made the post as complete as I could.

I wonder if those terps kill covid in the lungs?

Last edited:

Baron23

@flylowgethigh - wow, that's about the most unique way to vape I have heard of but we are many and varied and vape for different reasons with different preferences.

I love my Hybrid but I still mostly use bags. I find the whip to be more harsh.

I do leave my chamber on the base unit for a 90 second pre-heat and that seems to work well to add the conduction to the convection.

I have had absolutely no issues with melting/charring plastic in the chamber housing ring nor any issues with my display, although I certainly do believe that others have had these issues in the past (early models or....is anyone still having these issues with very recent purchased units???)

My use case is sedation and pain relief before bed and I run my Hybrid at max 446F temp. I played with work flows, etc and found them to not be worth the effort....for me. I just didn't see the benefit.

And I would not vape anything if I had COVID and would not want to experiment with inhaling terps if I had the virus. That's my take on it.

Harshness is the chlorophyll. Try this method once. The difference is flavor is amazing. Sniff the beginning of the 10 sec fan blast, and the end, to see what I mean about the stink. That stink makes my lungs hurt - especially after a cough. Coughing is a reaction the lungs use to expell stuff that is bad, like chlorophyll vapor.

This method will go through material rapidly, and some loud strains may be too strong for a full bowl charge.

Next is associating the particular terps with the effects, ie which strains work best. I also feel that the ABV, without the terps, is about the same between strains. The terps have a huge role in the effects. People have smoked joints of that ABV and were blown away. Yeah, the actives are still there. Could probably make oil from the ABV, but I like cookies

BTW, the "hemp" flower that is 50 state legal, and very flavorful, works also. Same thing, strip the terps.

Top Bottom