Vleaf Go: on-demand convection herb vaporizer!

OF

The GO is amazing from engineering perspective, I think that Joyetech is the real manufacture, which means a much higher level of design and quality. they are the number one in E cigs and mods world.

Just for fun and wishing the heater would do more, I modded the GO...Actually took the heater assembly and attached it to a vape mod and 3d printed a body for the heater Assembly from ABS.

I've no doubt if Joytech is involved, but agree the Engineering seems very good.

However, I think you should rethink your engineering in your experiment. ABS, while suitable for lots of things (like telephone bodies) is IMO a totally inappropriate choice in this application. It is suitable for less than 180F service, far far below what it's likely to be exposed to here?
https://dielectricmfg.com/knowledge-base/abs/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

While it's not likely to off gas toxics the typical result of overheating is to have it burst into flames unexpectedly which is sure to harsh your mellow.......

I recommend a more suitable material for the job, and for sure don't encourage others to follow your advice here. Unless you know something I don't, of course.

OF

Kfirrer

I've no doubt if Joytech is involved, but agree the Engineering seems very good.

However, I think you should rethink your engineering in your experiment. ABS, while suitable for lots of things (like telephone bodies) is IMO a totally inappropriate choice in this application. It is suitable for less than 180F service, far far below what it's likely to be exposed to here?
https://dielectricmfg.com/knowledge-base/abs/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile_butadiene_styrene

While it's not likely to off gas toxics the typical result of overheating is to have it burst into flames unexpectedly which is sure to harsh your mellow.......

I recommend a more suitable material for the job, and for sure don't encourage others to follow your advice here. Unless you know something I don't, of course.

OF

Thanks OF,
My fault, forgot to mention that i installed the oven with the outer original black tube that holds the zirconia oven .
The heat is so low this way-the ABS doesn't even get warm.
Also, this way i can change the oven if needed.

Basically a vape for life...:D

My new revision will be made of PLA while the oven will stay original tube+ABS tube-in a PLA body.

BTW-not recommending anyone to do these mods. i only fiddle with it trying to make it meet MY needs.

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I click it on then watch the side heat up first, red in window for the heater full strength then start slow . In a bubbler you can see the production start then you can rip it more so. I think it can hit like the gh does because I can cash the bowl in 2 amazing flavorful thick hits with abv on point with the hopper. All in the breath.

Edit: set up just like the Cera. Even with the zirconia heater!

Choices

(TLDR? If you got the money, get one, but use a promo code)

I have them both. To be clear up front, I haven’t ever had RMA issues with my Hopper so in comparing I can focus more on other things. Also I haven’t had the Vleaf GO long enough to do significant stretches of testing. That being said, here is what I feel at the moment:
The comparison of the two is legitimate to make as they strike a similar size and intention profile. The Grasshopper is better taste wise and seems to just provide a better overall user “experience” but... the Vleaf GO is something I would encourage anyone thinking of buying a Grasshopper to get the GO first. It just may give you all you are thinking you want from a Hopper at much less cost. RMA issues set aside, it is akin to say a Yeti drinking cup vs. one marketed as Ozark Trail by Walmart. One generates an emotional tie that some folks need from a object beyond its intended function. The other one doesn’t quite so much but provides 90% or more of the performance. For some getting that extra % of performance is worth the price. Only you and your bank account can decide the proper path for you. Do you get what you pay for in each case? Yes. Do you need to realize that paying several times as much for one when it delivers a for certain better experience, but likely not several times better one is what is going on here? Yep. Do people like to squeeze out that last 10%? Yes. In everything from wine to pizza to cycling components to wireless earphones folks do just that. You and your financial situation will decide which “last 10%” products you purchase....

Kfirrer

May I ask what makes you think that?

Joyetech has been there from the start of the e cig industry.
They are the leading brand owning some other brands(Eleaf,Wismec..)
The devices they make are high quality and very reliable.
My guess is that the last 2 tears has been hard on the e cig industry(bad press&regulations) leaving them time to develop better vaporizers than before.
I am pretty sure that Vivant is their brand company.

https://us.joyetech.com/co-brand/vivant.html

Just my opinion..

spindle

My take on the Go

I've been looking at battery or desktop vaporizers for micro-dosing. This is what attracted me to the Go. The Go is a battery powered, convection micro-doser at a very low price. I found a working coupon in this thread.

It arrived last week and so far so good! Some observations:

-I use it only through water using a small glass bong, and I like that it doesn't need a WPA.
-When firing it up, I place my index finger over the oven to make certain that it's heating up.
-Technique matters. I've had good results with slow, gentle drags, and quick puffs to prime it when cold.
-It can combust. When I inhaled too aggressively, my partner who doesn't use mmj (or M) commented that she smelled "skunk." When I opened the chamber, the center of the AVB was black. It definitely combusted to some extent.
-The silicon mouth piece cover that comes with it is not just there for looks. It's unusable without it (gets too hot), and I can't see using the Go without a water pipe or bubbler.
-As others have noted, the battery is pretty weak. The solution is to charge after every session or two, which will decrease the battery life.
-For $55 I don't care if it doesn't last long, and I see that Vivant has a 2 year warranty. My guess is the battery isn't covered.
-Not sure if the heater setting (3 levels) matters much. I just leave it on the middle setting for now.
-Taste and cloud size - OK with me but I'm not an expert.
-I like that components can be replaced, but wish the battery was user replaceable.
-Size isn't an issue, bowl size is, and for many the small bowl is a negative. For my needs this is a huge benefit.

Vivant is on to something. This is a quality convection device, given the limitations noted. I was also looking at an Edge, which may have been a better option, but I like not having to use dosage pods, WPA, etc. It's all there. I got the DDave mod kit but no need to use it yet. And for the price, the Go is almost disposable.

Looking forward to a Go v2 with larger, removable battery, USB C, and a silicon free vapor path. Price it below $150 and I'm in.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I am pretty sure that Vivant is their brand company.

But what should we make of this then? >> https://vivantvape.en.alibaba.com/company_profile.html

Another smoke screen past their Californian front-end?

(as I said in the first page of this thread, like Smiss with FlowerMate, they have a US front-end so they can write on the tin "designed in California, assembled in PRC", exactly like gear from that fancy fruit company and many others... but well, excepted we know pretty well that their design teams are in China in this case, contrary to the latter)

Kfirrer

But what should we make of this then? >> https://vivantvape.en.alibaba.com/company_profile.html

Another smoke screen past their Californian front-end?

(as I said in the first page of this thread, like Smiss with FlowerMate, they have a US front-end so they can write on the tin "designed in California, assembled in PRC", exactly like gear from that fancy fruit company and many others... but well, excepted we know pretty well that their design teams are in China in this case, contrary to the latter)

You can find them also at WISMEC(another Joyetech co brand). it`s even categorized under 'co brand'.

https://wismec.us/co-brand/vivant.html

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
:rockon:This thing is my Cera rebooted! Lovin’ it! 5 bowls per charge and super light plus I ain’t gotta hold a dam underneath button and wait for a glow!:tup:

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: OF

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
I love my portable convection vapes, but I don't have any that mate easily with water pieces. So I've ordered one of these to fill that niche for me. The price made it easy to hit the buy button. The bonus is that I'm getting a free box of disposable face masks too. Very cool.

Should have it by this weekend.

Happy 420 FCers.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I love my portable convection vapes, but I don't have any that mate easily with water pieces. So I've ordered one of these to fill that niche for me. The price made it easy to hit the buy button. The bonus is that I'm getting a free box of disposable face masks too. Very cool.

Should have it by this weekend.

Happy 420 FCers.
I got the ddave mod package I’m excited!

OF

:rockon:This thing is my Cera rebooted! Lovin’ it! 5 bowls per charge and super light plus I ain’t gotta hold a dam underneath button and wait for a glow!:tup:

Well put, IMO. Very 'Cera like' indeed. Only with much faster heat up and better abilities with smaller loads? Not near as pretty, of course. IMO the thermal core idea, while sound, has a huge issue with time. Especially with a discharged 18650, it can take a long long time to make solid vapor with Cera (and T1 for that matter). Not so Go.

And at a much improved price. And will no doubt enjoy many more customers, and hopefully therefore survive longer in the market?

I still use my Cera from time to time, but this guy will probably change that......time will tell. For now it's seeing a lot of use.

Regards to all.

OF

spindle

vivant-go-c.jpg

I hesitate to post this image since the white balance is way off. I'll likely remove the image in a few days.

The AVB is not green around the edges. It's the brown color that one would expect AVB to be.
The center is dark brown/black, which indicates that combustion occurred to some extent.

-Setting was yellow - medium temperature
-Medium ground (it happens to be high CBD hemp flower)
-Bowl 3/4 full and lightly packed
-I took moderate, long puffs

I don't think this is user error. There was clearly some combustion, and fuck combustion.
If you have a Go can you share your results? Words are fine.

Edit: I really like the Go so far. It handles micro-dosing well, which is my primary requirement.

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
vivant-go-c.jpg

I hesitate to post this image since the white balance is way off. I'll likely remove the image in a few days.

The AVB is not green around the edges. It's the brown color that one would expect AVB to be.
The center is dark brown/black, which indicates that combustion occurred to some extent.

-Setting was yellow - medium temperature
-Medium ground (it happens to be high CBD hemp flower)
-Bowl 3/4 full and lightly packed
-I took moderate, long puffs

I don't think this is user error. There was clearly some combustion, and fuck combustion.

Edit: I really like the Go so far. It handles micro-dosing well, which is my primary requirement.
Draw a lil faster as to cool the heating element. This one requires technique to get the goodies. I learned fast that it’ll combust from multiple user errors but when you get it down...:tup:

OF

The center is black, which indicates that combustion occurred to some extent.

Those results are quite typical.

And no, there's no combustion going on. The center is just cooked more than the edges for the reason I stated a while back in this thread. The load shrinks back some as it gets dried out making the path through the center easier than working through the denser parts of the load. So more of the heated ari goes that way. The extra air flow brings more heat to this area, drying it all the more so it vapes first and the path gets even less restricted.

What you have left is basically Carbon (which is why it's black) when the other stuff is baked out. Like an over cooked steak on the BBQ. Combustion would be this Carbon combining with Oxygen and making CO2 and A LOT OF EXTRA HEAT. That extra heat (not drawn with the heated air) feeds the fire. The black stuff gets turned to gas and the ash is gray/white. That clearly didn't happen here. No exothermic reaction (giving off heat), no combustion. Just seriously vaped.

Consider the charcoal (Carbon) you burned that steak on. It was a sold black pressing of plant material that had been baked at similar temperatures to our vapes but not allowed to combust. That combustion happens in the BBQ, gives off lots of extra heat past the match and lighter fuel you used to light it and ends up with a smaller bulk of gray ash? Same rules apply inside Go.

If you want to avoid this, and get more even extraction, you need to open and stir a time or two to break up the flue that forms.

No big deal, common in real convection (ever see it in conduction of 'hybrid'?), technique will change it, but not combustion. Just some expected uneven extraction going on. And you 'over vaped' the part in the center.

Not to worry, kick back and enjoy. It's normal, not fatal, and in your control.

OF

spindle

Those results are quite typical.

And no, there's no combustion going on. The center is just cooked more than the edges for the reason I stated a while back in this thread. The load shrinks back some as it gets dried out making the path through the center easier than working through the denser parts of the load. So more of the heated ari goes that way. The extra air flow brings more heat to this area, drying it all the more so it vapes first and the path gets even less restricted.

What you have left is basically Carbon (which is why it's black) when the other stuff is baked out. Like an over cooked steak on the BBQ. Combustion would be this Carbon combining with Oxygen and making CO2 and A LOT OF EXTRA HEAT. That extra heat (not drawn with the heated air) feeds the fire. The black stuff gets turned to gas and the ash is gray/white. That clearly didn't happen here. No exothermic reaction (giving off heat), no combustion. Just seriously vaped.

Consider the charcoal (Carbon) you burned that steak on. It was a sold black pressing of plant material that had been baked at similar temperatures to our vapes but not allowed to combust. That combustion happens in the BBQ, gives off lots of extra heat past the match and lighter fuel you used to light it and ends up with a smaller bulk of gray ash? Same rules apply inside Go.

If you want to avoid this, and get more even extraction, you need to open and stir a time or two to break up the flue that forms.

No big deal, common in real convection (ever see it in conduction of 'hybrid'?), technique will change it, but not combustion. Just some expected uneven extraction going on. And you 'over vaped' the part in the center.

Not to worry, kick back and enjoy. It's normal, not fatal, and in your control.

OF

Thanks! I'm not looking to find problems and I will refine my technique! Good to know it wasn't combusting.

BTW the airflow on the Go is very good. I'm really enjoying this vaporizer when used with a small glass waterpipe!

OF

Thanks! I'm not looking to find problems and I will refine my technique! Good to know it wasn't combusting.

BTW the airflow on the Go is very good. I'm really enjoying this vaporizer when used with a small glass waterpipe!
You can, with this or other convection vapes combust if you try (unlike more conduction ones) since you determine how much heat (in calories, not degrees.....) is put in and to a large part how it'll be used. Not to worry, if you do combust with a used vape there won't be any question if/when it happens. The condensed junk in and around the vapor path will respond instantly when several hundred degrees of additional heat from the combustion is instantly added. You'll go from 'this tasting different' through 'this tastes like burnt popcorn' through 'there's a lot more vapor than a moment ago....' to 'OH, YUCK!' in less time than it takes to read.

Yes, the flow resistance is smaller than most. FWIW using a bubbler encourages you to do longer and heavier hits. The only time I get dark centers is when I'm using a bubbler and finishing the load in a few hits over a couple minutes. I expect it to happen then even if I open it up to stir.

Enjoy you new vape, just keep it between the ditches.

OF

Baron23

dark brown/black, which indicates that combustion occurred to some extent.

I'm sure there can be a lively debate about this, but IMO that does not indicate combustion necessarily.

Its not darker than what I get out of my EVO ELBs and VapCaps routinely and that is def not combustion. Just a bit of charring or very dark AVB. I looked again...I wouldn't even classify that as char...just dark.

You (well, me) can always immediately tell when I actually combusted a load...the taste and experience changes radically, IMO.

Yeah, you got a hotter spot in the middle than on the sides, very convection vape typical, IME.

You can always just give it a stir 1/2 - 2/3 of the way through and get it more even.

Last edited:
Top Bottom