Discontinued Vaporstar Vaporizer

vaporGene

Yeah, I'd actually say that the VaporStar works better with bigger pieces cuz you get bigger draws...

vaporGene,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i think i may have an explanation as to wy most seem to prefer the vaporstar: heat retaining mass

the vaporgenie retains some heat with the top piece, but the vaporstar has a chunk of stainless steel right on the topp that retains heat. not only does this retain heat, but it makes it easier to control the heat than with a vaporgenie, because you have the stainless steel mass to heat and cool, so the temperature rises and falls at a slower rate, more consistant temperature should mean better quality vapor and a more even cook
even in the vaporstar vids, when he stops applying flame he still gets vapor for a second, thats the result of the heat retention

i hope im not just talking out of my ass, i dont have a vaporstar or a vaporgenie, but the vaporstar on my wishlist after the launch tube. this could be one of the advantages it has over the vaporgenie and part of the reason supertorch advocates it so strongly

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
I emailed Vaporstar Dave about the Micro Pipe (Mini Traveller) that's been missing from his site for a while. He said they weren't consistent as far as quality -"too many returns". So he's looking for a replacement. Too bad. It's a convenient design. But another case of 'made in China' = poor quality. :/

max,

Bananiq

yes I agree, micro-pipe design is really cool but could have better glass quality.

Bananiq,

Benny

can u guess?
I've found my Vaporstar fits pretty much any bong... the glass ones obviously being better for viewing exactly when the vapor is forming, and so judging when to pull the lighter away. Also found the smaller pipes a bit better for breath control, and for reducing the vapor cooling/ condensing on the insides of the pipe.

Lately I've been putting a small amount of hot water in the pipe right before I use it... I've found this not only keeps the glass warm (to help minimise that vapor loss mentioned above), but it also makes the vapor a lot more humid. This not only makes the hot vapor noticeably easier on my mouth and throat, but the material I'm vaping seems to have stronger effect on me... Not certain if this is true or just me trippin' out a little, but I'm thinking possibly the moisture in the vapor could make it more 'bio-available' to the lining of the lungs, and so make it more easily absorbed into the bloodstream...??:brow:

I dont know if my theory is true or not... but i know I FUCKING LOVE MY VAPORSTAR!! :)

Benny,

SuperTorch

Benny said:
I FUCKING LOVE MY VAPORSTAR!! :)
I've found this true with myself, its the pipe I use most. (I recently gave my Pipeorizer(out of production) a few runs and boy oh boy for what it is, its very cool and effective. With good herbs the Pipeorizer is a Star in its own right) With my Vaporstar and my Pipeorizer I really feel like I have portability covered.

I'll bought a coffee mug warmer at Walmarts for $2.50, the kind you plug in and it keep your coffee cup hot but you can also set a all glass pipe on it and it will keep the water hot. I used it a few time for fun, but ultimately felt the Vaporstar is more fun just how its shipped w/fast action pipe. I'll try the hot water again and see if I feel the humidity helps or smooths hits out or any noticeable affect on potency.

I see on the Vaporstar main site that there are no more Varnished units which I prefer over the unvarnished as his varnished ones had a excellent seal and I want that over the porous non-varnish units. Im sure he has to pay to varnish them so I hope he hasn't decided to stop offering the varnished Vaporstars. I've sent an email.

SuperTorch,

Atty

Hi everyone,

The Vaporstar gets my vote. It's can be a bit of a fickle bitch at times, and you need pretty big lungs and good breath control, but once the technique is practised you can get surprisingly big hits from it.

Annoyingly, I lost the wooden bowl for my vaporstar some time ago, so it's currently out of action.

I can understand the spectre of the butane bogeyman putting people off purchasing one, but I'm pretty sceptical about some of the health scares that get thrown around. I can see how some cheaper lighters could potentially leak butane far enough away from the naked flame for it to avoid combustion, but it still seems like the potential risks have been blown completely out of proportion.

Atty,

SuperTorch

Atty said:
Hi everyone,

The Vaporstar gets my vote. It's can be a bit of a fickle bitch at times, and you need pretty big lungs and good breath control, but once the technique is practised you can get surprisingly big hits from it.

Annoyingly, I lost the wooden bowl for my vaporstar some time ago, so it's currently out of action.

I can understand the spectre of the butane bogeyman putting people off purchasing one, but I'm pretty sceptical about some of the health scares that get thrown around. I can see how some cheaper lighters could potentially leak butane far enough away from the naked flame for it to avoid combustion, but it still seems like the potential risks have been blown completely out of proportion.
Excellent first post.

SuperTorch,

Benny

can u guess?
SuperTorch said:
I'll try the hot water again and see if I feel the humidity helps or smooths hits out or any noticeable affect on potency.
What'd ya think man? the difference on your mouth/throat is obvious (try one hit with the water, and then a dry hit straight after) .. but what about any noticeable increases in potency and/or effects? I find it comes on a bit harder and kinda reaches all areas a bit quicker. Nothing amazing, but definitely worth doing again...

Atty said:
I can see how some cheaper lighters could potentially leak butane far enough away from the naked flame for it to avoid combustion.
While I've never had any problems using a conventional lighter with my Vaporstar, I've found that torch lighters, although not recommended by Vaporstar's manufacturer because of the higher flame temperature, can actually be used with just a fairly simple modification of your pipe-hitting procedure. Instead of letting the flame dip down into the hole as you would with a normal lighter, I hold the torch-lighter flame slightly back and above, and watch inside the pipe for clues when to take the flame away. It took me a few goes to get it spot-on, but as you mentioned in your post; practising your technique can make a big difference... :ko:
The only things that can escape from a lit torch-lighter are carbon dioxide, water and lots of heat. :)

Benny,

Atty

Just thought I'd mention that I contacted Dave at VaporStar.co.uk about needing another wooden bowl for the unit, and much to my delight he responded within a day, offering to replace it for just 3 pounds and fifty pence! (about 5-6 US dollars - although it might've cost more if I wasn't in the same country as him).

I love good customer service! :D

Atty,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Just ordered me a vaporstar today. I'm used too the vaporgenie so it should be interesting too see how this one is...

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
Benny said:
While I've never had any problems using a conventional lighter with my Vaporstar, I've found that torch lighters, although not recommended by Vaporstar's manufacturer because of the higher flame temperature, can actually be used with just a fairly simple modification of your pipe-hitting procedure.
A torch is a little trickier, but definitely a cleaner heat source if you can get the hang of it. Good info. :)

max,

Ben

I also use a torch lighter... it's just another learning curve ;)

Ben,

Atty

Does anyone know about those green flame torch lighters I once heard of? Apparently they are clean burning like a normal torch lighter, but the flame bends a little like a regular butane flame.

Atty,

Benny

can u guess?
Atty said:
Does anyone know about those green flame torch lighters I once heard of?
My advice is DONT buy or use those lighters man... the green color is caused by the flame heating a small copper filament just inside the collar. Burning copper gives off green light energy... great if your watching fireworks from a mile away... But it also gives off some TOXIC fumes, which you would be inhaling nearly 100% of through a vapostar :(

I dont know about the flame bending more with these copper torch lighters, but it cant be anywhere near worth it for the possible health risks. A conventional lighter is a safer choice than these ones.

Benny,

SuperTorch

The Varnished units are no longer being made, because over zealous health freaks posted to many time about the organic varnish being toxic(What a joke) and he got to many returns so there done. I like them much better than the non varnish as the are easier to keep clean and look better, its not a big deal but to bad their gone. Dave did say he was working on a highly polished unit and that sounds very nice indeed and I'll be keeping an eye out for them.

SuperTorch,

The Jagernacht

Hey guys.
I got the vapostar fairly recently - I think it's a really great product, actually the vapes seem to taste better from this one than those from my extreme which cost a chunk more...but hey...both good units.
I really like how immediate the effect is with the v-star, versus other vapos I've tried, next to no kick-in period of waiting at all.
But yeah, for me it comes down to ease of use, duration of effect, and taste - it's all there.

I TRIED a jet-lighter/windproof kinda dealy, it worked but it's a bit annoying to have to hold it at a distance so as to not burn...maybe I did it wrong, but I dunno, seems like I'm already making enough effort with it.

If it's clean you want, this is what I'm thinking about getting http://www.beelinehawaii.com/ it's like, basically a slow burning rope made of hemp and bees wax from what I can understand.
I'm looking into this for as much as I love my arizer I'm probably going to replace it with a few v-stars, and while I know the comparative healthiness of vapourising is HUGE, I still want the whole process to e as chemical free as possible, I think this product will pull it off nicely.

But yeah, on the v-star...another posetive review for sure, if you wanna check out well, the extended version of my thoughts the guys at their main vaporstar.co.uk site used one I emailed to 'em in their testimonials.

Just thought I'd jump in to say I'm enjoying mine.

The Jagernacht,

Atty

The Jagernacht said:
If it's clean you want, this is what I'm thinking about getting http://www.beelinehawaii.com/ it's like, basically a slow burning rope made of hemp and bees wax from what I can understand.
Hi Jagernacht,

Those beeline things look kinda interesting, but I wonder if they produce a hot enough flame. My experience of using matches in the Vaporstar (when I'd run out of lighter fluid) was pretty much a complete failure and I suspect the same will be true of these.

Also, you'd need a match or lighter to get them lit, so it seems like it'd just make the process of using the VaporStar a lot more awkward.

Atty,

The Jagernacht

It's something I'm willing to give a go to, yknow?
I would say the problem with matches was predominately their short burning time though.
Even if I light this one up with a lighter, I'd still be breathing no kind of emissions from it really.

The Jagernacht,

spaceman462

SuperTorch said:
The Varnished units are no longer being made, because over zealous health freaks posted to many time about the organic varnish being toxic(What a joke) and he got to many returns so there done. I like them much better than the non varnish as the are easier to keep clean and look better, its not a big deal but to bad their gone. Dave did say he was working on a highly polished unit and that sounds very nice indeed and I'll be keeping an eye out for them.
It's cheap and easy enough to varnish a bowl yourself though. In fact, since it's on the exterior of the bowl, a couple thin coats of any kind of varnish won't hurt you as long as you don't accidentally hit the varnish with the flame. I actually would have preferred an unvarnished bowl that way I could give it a french polish or something similarly luxurious and comparable to the finish on traditional briar pipe bowls.

spaceman462,

Atty

The Jagernacht said:
It's something I'm willing to give a go to, yknow?
I would say the problem with matches was predominately their short burning time though.
Even if I light this one up with a lighter, I'd still be breathing no kind of emissions from it really.
Yeah, cool. If you do give 'em a try, be sure to post what you think! :)
It's possible that bees wax burns with a hotter and more stable flame than matches, and I would imagine they're a lot cleaner.

I've had a bit of a think and I'll probably stick with a regular butane flame. Considering the amount of pollution from cars (carbon monoxide, diesel/petrol fumes, etc.) I'm exposed to whenever I walk out of my front door and onto the road, I seriously doubt that intermittent use of a butane lighter is going to cause any harm. I quite like the sound of trying a jetflame lighter and it might be something to try in the future, but for the forseeable future I'll stick to what I know.

At some point in the next couple of days I'll take a trip down to the local tobacconists and see if they've got any good-quality refillable butane lighters that won't slowly leak gas or fall to bits within 3 days like the cheap disposables do. Those horizontally-oriented butane cigar lighters look like they might be ideal for the VaporStar.

Atty,
Top Bottom