Discontinued Vaporstar Vaporizer

graywulf

Vaporstar with a ceramic element? (merged)

Has anyone tried the vaporstar

vapourstar_vapouriser.jpg

with a ceramic heating element?

4013424.jpg
(minus the metal covering)

Thus removing the required use of a lighter. Has anyone tried this or has input on how it would work? Imagine what the transmission of heat would be like if the wand were touched to the metal bowl vs. held in front of the intake? I think this might have potential to be a great hitter.

graywulf,

marcuss

above the clouds
EhEeh....nice idea...i've got both at home and tonight i'll give it a try....maybe this is a way to doesn't scorch the herb.....i never been able to have a VS session without a little combustion :/.....my bad!

i'll post my impressions tomorrow!

marcuss,

spaceman462

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
i think i may have an explanation as to wy most seem to prefer the vaporstar: heat retaining mass

the vaporgenie retains some heat with the top piece, but the vaporstar has a chunk of stainless steel right on the topp that retains heat. not only does this retain heat, but it makes it easier to control the heat than with a vaporgenie, because you have the stainless steel mass to heat and cool, so the temperature rises and falls at a slower rate, more consistant temperature should mean better quality vapor and a more even cook
even in the vaporstar vids, when he stops applying flame he still gets vapor for a second, thats the result of the heat retention

i hope im not just talking out of my ass, i dont have a vaporstar or a vaporgenie, but the vaporstar on my wishlist after the launch tube. this could be one of the advantages it has over the vaporgenie and part of the reason supertorch advocates it so strongly
The reason why I prefer the VaporStar to the VaporGenie is that because it uses a glass pipe, I can see the vapor as it is released. With the VaporGenie, I have no visual cues and the vapor taste isn't strong enough to go by that alone. I'd definitely buy a VaporGenie with a glass pipe though. I really wish they'd make one.

spaceman462,

spaceman462

Apparently I didn't. I checked a couple months ago and I didn't see one. This is good news.

spaceman462,

freaktech

Hi, I have seen the vaporstar video "start-to-finish" in youtube, and im impressed with the apparent effectiveness.

The vapour from vaporstar, is comparable to volcano vape?

and i have one cuestion more please... I dont like somke, I dont smoke since a year and accordingly, I have any tolerance at this moment. I heard that with vaporising you get much more high than with smoke way.

Can be a little dangerous or overwhelming vaporising without tolerance (a year without smoking weed)?

Thanks in advance, peace!

freaktech,

max

Out to lunch
Vapor is vapor. Doesn't matter which vaporizer it comes from. The difference is that with the Volcano, all your vapor will be consistent. You have a steady temp and steady airflow. There is no 'human factor' to affect the vapor quality. With a whip/direct draw vape, your draw speed affects the temp. Too hard of a draw will introduce a lot of cold air into the bowl area and drop your temp. A real easy draw will give you a higher temp, since the heater will have time to heat up the incoming air. With a flame powered vape like the Vaporstar or Vapor Genie, how long you apply the flame also determines your vaping temp, so this kind of vape has the biggest learning curve-how hard you hit and how long you apply the lighter are both important. So with the Vaporstar it is possible to overcook your bowl contents and also possible to undercook and get little to no vapor. It takes some practice.

You don't get higher with a vaporizer, although you do get more actives per bowl due to no loss through burning. For the most part it's just a different kind of high. Unless you use the high temp range, or overcook, vapor doesn't give you the sleep inducing byproducts of smoke. You lose a couple of sedative type compounds that release well above 400 F, but the smoke/high temp toxins are also largely responsible for the couch lock feeling you get with smoking.

Your first vapor experience may well be powerful, but it's not something that I'd worry about.

max,

freaktech

max said:
Vapor is vapor. Doesn't matter which vaporizer it comes from. The difference is that with the Volcano, all your vapor will be consistent. You have a steady temp and steady airflow. There is no 'human factor' to affect the vapor quality. With a whip/direct draw vape, your draw speed affects the temp. Too hard of a draw will introduce a lot of cold air into the bowl area and drop your temp. A real easy draw will give you a higher temp, since the heater will have time to heat up the incoming air. With a flame powered vape like the Vaporstar or Vapor Genie, how long you apply the flame also determines your vaping temp, so this kind of vape has the biggest learning curve-how hard you hit and how long you apply the lighter are both important. So with the Vaporstar it is possible to overcook your bowl contents and also possible to undercook and get little to no vapor. It takes some practice.

You don't get higher with a vaporizer, although you do get more actives per bowl due to no loss through burning. For the most part it's just a different kind of high. Unless you use the high temp range, or overcook, vapor doesn't give you the sleep inducing byproducts of smoke. You lose a couple of sedative type compounds that release well above 400 F, but the smoke/high temp toxins are also largely responsible for the couch lock feeling you get with smoking.

Your first vapor experience may well be powerful, but it's not something that I'd worry about.
Very good explanation! based on your explanation, vaporstar looks a bit imprecise (unless to be good margin to burn the herb), what vaporizer would recommend you? (simple or portable if is it possible...) thanks very much!

freaktech,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
freaktech said:
Very good explanation! based on your explanation, vaporstar looks a bit imprecise (unless to be good margin to burn the herb), what vaporizer would recommend you? (simple or portable if is it possible...) thanks very much!
that would depend, what kinds of things are you looking for? should check this thread http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=530, might help start pointing you in the right direction

DevoTheStrange,

VaporBud

I was not expecting much when i ordered the vaporstar so i was surprised when i tried for first time and got some good vapor hits.

Anyone on a tight budget or after a cheap portable should consider this vape.

VaporBud,

VaporBud

Been using this a fair bit of late and i find it works best with a jet lighter.
Also only use enough to cover the screen as it will reduce the chance of combustion.

b008ab4d.jpg

VaporBud,

spaceman462

I had to jerry-rig something like that a few weeks ago when I broke my glass minibong, but instead I used a 16oz bottle and while the plastic was soft from the lighter, I pushed the VaporStar bowl through for an exact fit.

spaceman462,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
i think i may have an explanation as to wy most seem to prefer the vaporstar: heat retaining mass

the vaporgenie retains some heat with the top piece, but the vaporstar has a chunk of stainless steel right on the topp that retains heat. not only does this retain heat, but it makes it easier to control the heat than with a vaporgenie, because you have the stainless steel mass to heat and cool, so the temperature rises and falls at a slower rate, more consistant temperature should mean better quality vapor and a more even cook
even in the vaporstar vids, when he stops applying flame he still gets vapor for a second, thats the result of the heat retention

i hope im not just talking out of my ass, i dont have a vaporstar or a vaporgenie, but the vaporstar on my wishlist after the launch tube. this could be one of the advantages it has over the vaporgenie and part of the reason supertorch advocates it so strongly
The vs was my first and presently only vape. I would really recommend it to anyone looking for a more organic, smoking like experience. It uses the same action as hitting a bong, and with a bit of attention to your technique the first several times you use it you can get a fantastic quality, and quantity, of vapor. I've milked a bowl for 5 thicker-than-I-though-possible hits, and made one bowl last something like 12 regular hits when I got it really cooking.

That "cooking" aspect of it is where the technique comes into play; heating the star to the right level gives a sort of "momentum" in the element. It takes a bit to learn how to get that momentum rolling along without overheating and burning it, but once you get there it becomes something natural and incredibly easy, even satisfying, to execute.

Once you get it hot enough to pull a hit without using the lighter, that heat carries over for the rest of the session and reduces the finesse needed to take a hit by a huge factor. At that level it acts ver similarly to an electric vape, with only a half second to a second of flame to refresh the heat level at some of the latter hits. The only drawback of this heat "momentum" is that once it cools off, which takes 30 seconds to a minute, you have to repeat the process. I've made it sound a lot more complicated than it really is though, in practice the difference between a "momentum hit" and a regular heat up hit is a couple of seconds.

^I wrote the above before remembering that aoz pretty much already said it, and was dead on the mark. Cooking is exactly the term to describe it, and the ONLY improvable aspect of the vs imo is the bowl size. Since the manufacturer isn't a large company and most likely won't ever increase the size of the metal cap and the bowl in unison, my only idea was the lengthen the wooden bowl piece to just make a deep ass bowl. I'm thinking like a gram+ myself.
Unfortunately I don't have a lathe ;(

sneezyjesus,

freaktech

Finally I bought vaporstar, I need some practice because when I inhale one hit my "vapor extraction" is very smooth, sometimes seems as dont exhaling practically anything, however I get high with some effort hehe. My weed was a bit wet. Can it explain waht happened? and I have some doubts with the screens filters, the wood part screen and the metal stopper screen filter... How do you remove it for clean or replacement? seems that they have a different sizes too.

freaktech,

Bananiq

1. im glad you like your purchase. vs is great
2. to increase temperature - > INHALE SLOWER! (as slow as possible) after a sec. when you start feeling that youre inhaling "something" start inhaling faster to avoid increasing temperature more, maintain steady temp and get big hits
3. try to "suck in" only "yellow" part of the flame .. do not put the lighter too close to VS and do not set up too big flame .. 2 cm flame is enough..
4. use tweezers or anything else to put out the wood part screen out for cleaning .. the metal stopper screen is a whole piece.. you cannot take it out of the metal top (at least with small force:) you dont have to clean the metal top - its self cleaning - but when its necessary you can hold the whole metal top with tweezers over the blue flame .. (torch lighter, oven, etc)

Bananiq,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
one thing i have noticed is that when hitting it, you want too hear a slight whistle. you dont want a high pitched loud whistle. if you hear no whistle it will combust if your not careful. i pretty much do the same thing describe in the post above... start slow and move too a faster inhale once it starts so it doesnt over heat.
I also tend too bring the flame back up as the bowl seems too slow down its rate of vaporizing. So after it starts I take the flame off. the bowl will continue too produce vapor for a few more seconds. and as it is winding down I will bring the lighter back in only long enough too get the vapor starting again. The only reason I do this is I like huge hits. If you do it right you can get some pretty huge hits and not combust.
Don't forget too rotate your bowl a third after each hit.. this also helps with non-combuston

DevoTheStrange,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
The whistle is definately a must, though you can pull slower if your sure you can pull off the finesse for it, (usually only an option for the first hit or two :ko:)

Hey Devo what do you think in a general think abou the VS? I've had mine for about a year so far and I love it, but it's also the only vape I own. The PD, the VG, IO, (LB too), all vapes I'm thinking about getting but I'm curious how the VS rates against them before I purchase anything. Any thoughts you've got would be awesome

sneezyjesus,

freaktech

Bananiq said:
1. im glad you like your purchase. vs is great
2. to increase temperature - > INHALE SLOWER! (as slow as possible) after a sec. when you start feeling that youre inhaling "something" start inhaling faster to avoid increasing temperature more, maintain steady temp and get big hits
3. try to "suck in" only "yellow" part of the flame .. do not put the lighter too close to VS and do not set up too big flame .. 2 cm flame is enough..
4. use tweezers or anything else to put out the wood part screen out for cleaning .. the metal stopper screen is a whole piece.. you cannot take it out of the metal top (at least with small force:) you dont have to clean the metal top - its self cleaning - but when its necessary you can hold the whole metal top with tweezers over the blue flame .. (torch lighter, oven, etc)
Thanks a lot! vaporstar rocks, vp gives me a good clean high VS smoke high, and very best flavour, its a good vape^^ only need a bir practice more hehe

freaktech,

Bananiq

Im just right now soo vaped.. I discovered that Vaporstar work with torch-lighter so great!
you need to place the opening of VS's cap pointing straight on the edge of the blow-torch lighter flame .. just 1 hit !! and im in the clouds... also surprisingly.. blow torch is more "burnproof" lighter than regular bic lighter and it has better taste because there is not any soot created.... I dont know how it is possible but with torch lighter I can heat the vaporstar all 10 seconds with steady temp and really BIG dense hit- all of this without combustion ! many times...... then I changed lighter to regular bic and I just heated the VS for only 3 seconds and it the hit was disaster.. combustion occured and taste was like terror. It is paradox but it seems bic lighter goes to higher temperatures than torch lighter,
consequently, I got to the verdict that blow torch lighter is really more appropriate lighter in terms of vvaporizing heating source for vaporstar...

Bananiq,

FEAR420

Bananiq said:
Im just right now soo vaped.. I discovered that Vaporstar work with torch-lighter so great!
you need to place the opening of VS's cap pointing straight on the edge of the blow-torch lighter flame .. just 1 hit !! and im in the clouds... also surprisingly.. blow torch is more "burnproof" lighter than regular bic lighter and it has better taste because there is not any soot created.... I dont know how it is possible but with torch lighter I can heat the vaporstar all 10 seconds with steady temp and really BIG dense hit- all of this without combustion ! many times...... then I changed lighter to regular bic and I just heated the VS for only 3 seconds and it the hit was disaster.. combustion occured and taste was like terror. It is paradox but it seems bic lighter goes to higher temperatures than torch lighter,
consequently, I got to the verdict that blow torch lighter is really more appropriate lighter in terms of vaporizing heating source for vaporstar...
Very good info to have. I should have mine next week sometime. Ill post up results ASAP as I have a few different lighters of all types. Piezoelectric ignition,Bic's,Regular Electric lighters ($2 cheapies),B-B-Q lighters and a full on hand torch capable of 3000F + temps.:peace:

FEAR420,

Ash

vaporist
FEAR420 said:
Ill post up results ASAP as I have a few different lighters of all types. Piezoelectric ignition,Bic's,Regular Electric lighters ($2 cheapies),B-B-Q lighters and a full on hand torch capable of 3000F + temps.:peace:
Excellent. I'll wait for your recommendation before I buy a more serious heat source than the generic supermarket-special I'm using now (2 for $1):cool:. Can't wait to pack up the VS. I'm cleaning out my heavily combusted 10" beaker this weekend so I'll have some nice glass to meet it with.

Ash,

FEAR420

Ash said:
I'm cleaning out my heavily combusted 10" beaker this weekend so I'll have some nice glass to meet it with.
Get yourself some 71%-91% iso alcohol and some sea salt or Kosher salt...hell any kind of rock salt. Remove any & all plastics & rubber from your bong(if you have any) as the stronger iso will destroy it.Take a handful of the rock salt,toss that in,then pour in your ISO,after that,take 2 tablespoons or so of regular ground salt & toss that in (gets into the really tight crevices),then you can either toss that into a plastic bag & shake the hell out of it. Or just cover the top & shake the hell out of it. I usually give mine a good 15-30 second vigorous shaking,then set it down for a few to let the iso do its job of breaking down the CRAP. Give it another furious shaking,dump the iso,pour out the sludge on the bottom,then pour that iso right back in,salt & all,now minus all the bong sludge. Add back to the mixture as needed. You bong will be squeaky clean just like the day you bought it. If it still has a funky smell or taste to it afterwards,go to the local drugstore and grab a packet or 2 of scented/flavored EFFERDENT,yes denture cleaner,I use the orange/citrus flavor...This will bring a nice scent & flavor back to the beaker. Just fill it up as much as possible & if you can,plug the bowl hole so you can completely fill the beaker & drop the tablets in.

But you didn't hear that from me...:D:cool:

FEAR420,
Top Bottom