• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Vaporstar portable vaporizer review

SuperTorch

Bic's last forever w/the Vaporstar. Yes the VS can be used as a water/vaporbong by placing it in a 14.4 down stem or diffuser or just out of a glass pipe like the one that comes with which is a very nice pipe for what you pay, it'll work dry(how I use it) or we(as a water/vaporbong) but takes a little more skill, the waters humidity take a few more hits to get it vaporizing at least that was my experience. I love it just as he ships it, nice size pipe fits your hand and the VaporStar rises to the challenge every time.

SuperTorch,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
ya, i always overthink everything, and quite often my twisted logic kicks my ass :lol: thats my kryptonite

i think ill stick to bics or get a refillable normal flame one and a couple cans of vector butane
any suggestions on a good brand of refillable regular lighters?

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Vaporgenie.com has some nice ones for $13. Vector (high quality butane maker), piezo ignition (avoid potentiality harmful flint dust and easier to light) and adjustable flame. Let's see your twisted logic find something wrong with that. :D

vtac,

alcatraz

If you are going to get a special lighter for the vaporstar, get a windproof one that is not green. The flame is tinted green by a tiny ball of a copper compound. When you use the lighter, some of the copper vaporizes and emits that familiar green color. However, that copper is still in the exhaust gases, and if you use it with a vaporizer, you are breathing it. You can get the windproof lighters with the metal coil minus the copper.

I find that the initial vaporstar hit takes about 10 seconds of flame to heat up, then subsequent hits take more like 2-3 seconds because the metal is already hot. Just go get a refillable lighter with electronic ignition. Butane is relatively cheap. A can of it costs like $5 and fills a lighter atleast 20 times.

Acolyte - you don't have to worry about flash with a torch lighter :cool:

alcatraz,

SuperTorch

alcatraz said:
When you use the lighter, some of the copper vaporizes and emits that familiar green color. However, that copper is still in the exhaust gases, and if you use it with a vaporizer, you are breathing it. You can get the windproof lighters with the metal coil minus the copper.

I find that the initial vaporstar hit takes about 10 seconds of flame to heat up, then subsequent hits take more like 2-3 seconds because the metal is already hot. Just go get a refillable lighter with electronic ignition. Butane is relatively cheap. A can of it costs like $5 and fills a lighter atleast 20 times.

Acolyte - you don't have to worry about flash with a torch lighter :cool:
I don't think it is vaporized copper that makes the green color, its the BLUE flame and the RED glow of the heated center element(whatever that may be made of) and not exclusive to a copper gas. From a green lighter stand point I think its the workability of the flame thats makes it a nice choice. If there are truly reasons not to use one then that is good info gained for sure, but my green flamed torch lighter is excellent and I'd hate for someone to pass on it under the theory that its letting off gases. Copper can be part of a multi-vitamin so it may be the case your helping to get your daily allowance of copper as a reason to light up. :). Seriously though maybe someone who knows more about it can shed some light, I haven't herd of issues with them.

Yes the first hit is a heat up hit unless you keep it going or are using a torch lighter. Then I get about 7-9 more. I stir at the 3 hit turn, and finger grind at the 6 hit turn then I get 2 more. The VaporStar Rocks.

SuperTorch,

SuperTorch

Its actually not bad its so dry at that point it just finger grinds and becomes a powder theres hardly no smell either. I use the tweezers to rake it into a mound in my hand, put the VaporStar(Upside down) over it and then reverse my tilt and it all falls back into the VaporStar. The only reason I do it is because it actually does give 2 more true vapor hits. Theres virtually none left on your hand. It's a option if your really trying to stretch the herb, but I think I will start dumping at the 6 hit level and just go with ultra fresh vapor every hit. I haven't ever done that-maybe once- I just don't like to feel Im wasting anything. Vaporizers are efficient anyhow, maybe it's time for time to make a habit change and use more herb instead of trying to stretch it. Theres real vapors at the 2nd grind though, thats for sure.

SuperTorch,

alcatraz

Those green lighters do emit copper. The heated copper atoms become excited and emit that green color.
Remember flame tests from high school chemistry? Copper has that green color.
360px-Flametest--Cu.swn.jpg

This copper is oxidized to copper(II) oxide by the flame.
Breathing it is bad for you - "Inhalation can lead to damage to the lungs and septum. Inhalation of fumes of cupric oxide can lead to a disease called Metal fume fever, which has symptoms similar to influenza."
You can get one like this:
677px-Silva_Helios_rope_burner_lighter.jpg

that have the same flame characteristics without the copper.

I'm not trying to put your lighter down, but I do know what I'm talking about, I'm a chemistry major and have done lots of research on those lighters.

alcatraz,

SuperTorch

Its good info. You'd think they'd look out for us but you know how that is. I guess mine has a copper center, I can't tell, I don't use it a ton, but it works the best as a torch as far a the flame being a little more workable than a JET flame. I'm not a chemistry major , and Influenza is something I don't care to emulate, my green flame torch is now in the trash.

SuperTorch,

alucard

How does the Vapestar work when used with a bong? The vapestar requires the lung power of the user to pull hot air through the herb. Wouldn't the presence of water prevent the lung power from reaching the herb?

alucard,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
it wouldnt be any harder to pull air through the vaporstar as it is to pull air through the bowl when youre smoking

Acolyte of Zinglon,

alucard

I'm talking about before the vapor has been created. The Vaporstar requires the use of lung power to create the vapor by drawing hot air through the herb. A normal bong doesn't require lung power to create the smoke, it just lights the plant on fire. I'm sure the vaporstar works with water filtration, I just don't see how. By the way, your reply was ridiculously fast o.o.

alucard,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
were watching you ;)

so in a normal bong you just hold a flame to the bowl and dont draw on the bong? that seems to be what youre saying
"the power of your lungs" only means you suck on it to draw the flame into the heat exchanger

Acolyte of Zinglon,

alucard

With a normal bong, the user only breaths in something that has risen passed the water. The vaporstar looks like it requires the air suckage to reach under the water to draw the heat into the herb. Once the vapor has been created the Vapor rises through the water like a normal bong. I'm not seeing how the air required to create the vapor reaches the bowl.

I wish I were close enough to California for you to be watching me.

alucard,

alucard

The pipe in that video isn't filled with water. Maybe the vaporstar works with bongs, as long as they aren't filled with water? The manufacturer doesn't say that anywhere though, so I'm sure I'm just missing something.

alucard,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
alucard...it sounds like you have not vaporized before, or very little. If I'm right, you'll just have to trust us that it is no different than your draw when you smoke. You don't have to understand it, you just have to do it to know.

stickstones,

marcuss

above the clouds
alucard....believe me ....it works!
You can simply buy one and try it by yourself...this is your occasion to enter in the vapor realm!

marcuss,

alucard

I'm sure it does, I just wanted to check to make sure that it works when filled with water. If it didn't, I was going to go with the VaporGenie, for the sturdiness of wood. Also, stickstones, you're right, I am new to vaporizers, the only one I've owned was an ubie.

The Vaporstar looks seriously awesome, it's kind of like the cheap man's vrip system, but portable.

alucard,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I have converted my VG to a bong setup that uses water and I have no issues with it. It works the same way as a bong except you have to draw a little slower and longer to ensure the heat is drawn through the herb rather than a quick lick of the flame when combusting. The vapor passes through the water but the technique is no different with or without H2O.

:2c: I will say though when there is water, the drawing in of air does of course create bubbles so a bic flame sort of does a little dance instead of being pulled directly in. Even though this works fine I do prefer a torch flame and aim it at the VG flame filter. The bubbling air intake has no effect on a blue flame.

:peace:

vaporcloud,
Top Bottom