Vapman

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
While that might be closer to the general definition, I'm not sure it's accurate here? As I understand 'spamming' it's the broadcast, unsolicited spreading of a commercial message for profit or to promote a cause:

" Spamming is the use of messaging systems to send an unsolicited message (spam) to large numbers of recipients for the purpose of commercial advertising, for the purpose of non-commercial proselytizing, or for any prohibited purpose (especially the fraudulent purpose of phishing). While the most widely recognized form of spam is email spam, the term is applied to similar abuses in other media: instant messaging spam,"

Basically unwanted free advertising? The OP is expressing an opinion, one time, without any relation to profit. It's not repeated, but is simply questionable WRT Forum rules? It's Forum policy not to post such posts publicly, making it potentially inappropriate but it lacks the key elements to be considered 'spam' in conventional terms.

FWIW, I tend to agree with the policy as it gives time to correct typos, add additional information and so on while preventing removal or editing after the fact? What we say here is (and IMO should be) a permanent record.

Yet, through it all, VM remains a great vape. Not for everyone, of course, but one many of us really find useful and one we 'identify with' at a personal level?

Regards to all.

OF

Well, shit. I understood what they meant, even if you didn't.
Spam is a slang term that can mean a lot of things.

OF

Well, shit. I understood what they meant, even if you didn't.
Spam is a slang term that can mean a lot of things.

I didn't. Do you have a reference that counters/corrects the one I cited?

TIA

OF

Edit: I obviously understood him, I responded to his complaint, that's not the point I was making. It's not spam as we conventionally define it AFAIK. That is, I don't see the use of the term correct? Again, links to support 'this really is spam' would be appreciated.

OF

Last edited:

Choices

Glad I peeped the end of this thread - I picked a basic pear up from his website yesterday and I am super excited to get it. Now if only I hadn't missed the boat on a station!

The Station is overrated. Just kidding it is so much better as an experience for me. If you see one get one. Seems there were several of them in a shop over in Switzerland but I couldn’t figure out how to get it to the States so I decided tojust enjoy the one I have. I’ll see if I can find the link...

The Station is overrated. Just kidding it is so much better as an experience for me. If you see one get one. Seems there were several of them in a shop over in Switzerland but I couldn’t figure out how to get it to the States so I decided tojust enjoy the one I have. I’ll see if I can find the link...

Once I got a nice IH to use with my omni I couldn't go back. Butane is nice in a pinch and certainly adds to the ritual but the IH takes it to another level. Nothing quite like the repeatability on your session when you let electronics do the work.

Choices

Once I got a nice IH to use with my omni I couldn't go back. Butane is nice in a pinch and certainly adds to the ritual but the IH takes it to another level. Nothing quite like the repeatability on your session when you let electronics do the work.

Yes I have a Portside Mini IH. I really only use a torch with my Sticky Brick and Lotus. Some days I’m mindful other days I’ve had a mind full so I decide based on how little I want to be involved in the process...:lol:

Got my pear classic vapman from @VGOODIEZ today - fast shipping, egg in great shape, couldn't be happier. A bit of a learning curve like I've read in the thread thus far but I was able to use it to good physical, albeit maybe not visual, effect on the first shot. A great companion to an omnivap and gorgeous to boot. Thanks again Scott, its awesome!IMG_20200819_203258.jpg

Last edited:

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Got my pear classic vapman from @VGOODIEZ today - fast shipping, egg in great shape, couldn't be happier. A bit of a learning curve like I've read in the thread thus far but I was able to use it to good physical, albeit maybe not visual, effect on the first shot. A great companion to an omnivap and gorgeous to boot. Thanks again Scott, its awesome!View attachment 1944
Sweet setup there! Seems USPS is mostly on their game still but there are markets like Detroit and Milwaukee that are a crap shoot!

Just picked up a beautiful Blackwood stem from our boy @Ed's TnT. My Vapman feels complete now!

645894-C3-E21-D-4592-9-EB6-B30-D00518-D5-B.jpg

OF

Just tried some ice water hash in the Vapman with the concentrate screen for the first time (in the station of course). Wow. This vape just got elevated another notch! The flavor was amazing & Ed's stem makes hitting it feel so much classier. Love this little thing.

Bubble hash in a VM is a treat for sure. A new dimension even? For sure there's a lot to recommend VM, even if not to everyone. Powerful tool for good.

VM seems so simple, until you use it and discover how truly elegant and well though out the design is. Not to mention a lot of serious 'cut and try' development. Takes a dedicated, special sort of guy to do that you know?

OF

Choices

@OF (others feel free to respond as well) has anyone ever tried to make a 510 based heater for the VM that mimics the Station? Or even a battery powered Station of a smaller size? I would guess either of these could have a bit of interest from many VM owners. Just wondering....

OF

@OF (others feel free to respond as well) has anyone ever tried to make a 510 based heater for the VM that mimics the Station? Or even a battery powered Station of a smaller size? I would guess either of these could have a bit of interest from many VM owners. Just wondering....

Interesting idea, but hard to implement I'd think. A TCR mod could make it uniformly hot, but remember the real station senses the temperature before deciding how much heat to add back, something the user would have to do? At best I could see it as a replacement for the torch, not the station? That is you'd have to decide exactly how many seconds to heat at that time, or combustion would surely follow.

And the pan is really kind of frail on the mounts, getting sloppy or not paying attention, could wreck it and where do you get it repaired/replaced?

Food for thought, none the less, thanks.

Regards to all.

OF

hoyo77

My man was a pleasure working with you as always is. Good to see the newer one next to the way way back one I did for you.

I dont think its Amboyna though, looks like a blown wood best I cant tell.

Appreciate you bro, wish you well.
Its Amboyna burl. I found the blank and also found the bong adapter you made for my vapman as well.

I believe @Improvaper did this. I remember seeing a post on his Instagram!

@letter never sent He did what I thought he was going to do - wire a basket for the vapman to sit in that replicates the heat mount inside the station.

I had thought about doing something similar with flat wire (wattage) or with a SS clapton-style coil (TCR). As long as you put the vapman in before the coil starts to heat up so it can get an accurate temperature reading against the coil and you have good contact / a slow heat curve, you could replicate the station. The only downside I can see coming up is reheats but if you poll for temp quick enough (almost all TCR mods today should) you could use it to reheat quickly.

Ensuring the contact would be the biggest part so I'd want to use large gauge wire with medium gauge wraps so it doesn't lose shape and has a ton of surface area to heat with. I'll do some playing around and let you guys know what I come up with. This shouldn't be that hard.

Last edited:
At best I could see it as a replacement for the torch, not the station? That is you'd have to decide exactly how many seconds to heat at that time, or combustion would surely follow.

Well you were pretty spot on with that :)

My notes from the TCR test. Note that this test is designed to replicate the functionality of the station, not provide raw direct heat to the vapman.

--Test Rig--

1. Smoant Battlestar Dual 18650 mod
2. 26g / 36g clapton style SS wire, running right around .4sh ohms.
3. Some buster RDA I lost the cap for many years ago.

I wired this into a basket-like shape similar to how @Improvaper made his and set the temp on the mod to 385. My wire was pretty close together and I saw even heating throughout the length of the coil during testing. I got good coverage on the bottom of the copper pan and it supported the vapman well. The way I constructed the coil ensured the vapman really only had one way of fitting against it, similar to how the station supports the vapman.

I was able to get accurate (as accurate at this mod gets) readings with just the coil but with a cold vapman on top of the coil but this throws the resistance values all over the place (sometimes unable to read it, sometimes nothing).

--Test Cases--

1. Fire test, no vapman.
2. Fire test, with vapman.
3. Reheat test, no vapman.
4. Reheat test, with vapman.

--Results--

1. Fired as expected. Took about 4-5 seconds to reach the ideal temperature.
2. After watching the resistance value jump all over the place, I stopped the test after 15 seconds. The vapman did warm up but not to a temperature of being able to produce vapor. I could reach ideal temperature if I had it on there long enough but I would have to guess at it. Since it grounds against the wood via metal screws (everything is a different resistance) the mod was basically just applying power randomly. I found this kind of dangerous and did not repeat the test.
3. Fired as expected. Took the same amount of time as test 1. IF test 2 had completed as desired, the temperature would have changed when I put the vapman back on the coil and reheat would not have taken very long.
4. Same as test 2.

--Notes--

1. I really want a station :)
2. This is a fun test exercise but honestly I would just use a torch instead of this.
3. I had some reservations about practical use since mod's are designed to be used in the hand, not on a table.
4. I knocked it over while waiting for it to heat up in test 2 and that was kinda sketchy.
5. I made a makeshift base to ensure it didn't fall over again but I didn't enjoy the prospect of having that on my desk.

--Conclusion-

While disappointing, this was expected. Mods like the battlestar are designed to get accurate coil temperature at the time of vaporization in an expected resistance range and vaporize e-juice, not heat up a copper pan to a desired temperature. I do expect better performance similar to what Improvaper achieved using wattage mode. I will repeat the test later on this week with a large mass clapton coil similar to what I made for the TCR test. I will have to play around with the wattage values and the time so I can dial it in where I want it to be. I will also use a digital thermometer to measure the temperature of the pan when I pull it off so I know where I land. Of course I will have to test any vapor results to ensure accurate function :lol:

All in all, worth the effort to rule out TCR as a viable solution in comparison to how a station operates. I had some ideas about pre-heating the coil to a much higher temperature and letting it heat soak the pan as sort of a passive heating process but again, I would just use a torch as that is easy and direct and empirically "better" at reaching vaporization temperatures.

OF

--Conclusion-

While disappointing, this was expected. Mods like the battlestar are designed to get accurate coil temperature at the time of vaporization in an expected resistance range and vaporize e-juice, not heat up a copper pan to a desired temperature.

All in all, worth the effort to rule out TCR as a viable solution in comparison to how a station operates. I had some ideas about pre-heating the coil to a much higher temperature and letting it heat soak the pan as sort of a passive heating process but again, I would just use a torch as that is easy and direct and empirically "better" at reaching vaporization temperatures.

Very impressive test, kudos! Always good to test/confirm such things, you never know what you might find if you remain observant and objective.

While, with enough effort, it might be possible I just can't see it being practical.

Thanks very much for the information.

OF

@OF Agree, it isn't really practical. I am a firm believer in using the right tools for the job and in this case, a torch or a station is the right tool for the job. A mod based heater would be an invention of necessity IF for some reason you didn't have a torch or butane evaporated from the planet.

What would be cool is a ceramic based heating device, similar to how the terp torch works. The only hold up for me there would be the size. I would be holding a giant stick against the bottom of my vapman and the heat is a little less direct (no tip of flame). Wall powered though so maybe more environmentally friendly? Hard to say but the terp torch is pretty freaking cool all things considered.

Top Bottom