Vaping killing the enjoyment of combustion!

Razhumikin

I have no dog in this fight, but I am an American who (before I fucked combustion) exclusively smoked spliffs (tobacco and marijuana joints) for years. Its not as uncommon here as you might think, and i never found it harsher on ym throat than a joint or a cigarette. The combination of the nicotine and weed highs was quite nice, but im glad im done with tobacco forever now.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have no dog in this fight, but I am an American who (before I fucked combustion) exclusively smoked spliffs (tobacco and marijuana joints) for years. Its not as uncommon here as you might think, and i never found it harsher on ym throat than a joint or a cigarette. The combination of the nicotine and weed highs was quite nice, but im glad im done with tobacco forever now.

Yeah I didn't start until college, my friends started earlier, but they were often rolling spliffs mixed, of course they already smoked cigarettes sometimes too and would do plain joints, but the variety was always a thing and eventually I caught up and was able to turn down those spliffs in favor of pure bud stuffs...

One of those buddies was just here visiting me briefly, now lives in Israel, even more so spliffs are pretty much all he does now (even had Arizer and Starry before) particularly here he felt like the bud was way too strong, so he couldn't even handle it plain, had to dilute it with tobacco, and he enjoys the entourage effect...

To each their own but yeah I don't get it at all lol totally disgusted I ever puffed on a (filterless) spliff now that I know so much better!

But yeah definitely always common, just perspective what you're exposed to, early on I knew that it was a thing I guess though

Bit of a slight necro, but I just joined the forum so I guess it's allowed :p

This is what I am struggling with at the moment, the tobacco always pushes me back to combustion. I smoked a spliff yesterday and am waiting on my new meds arriving. I am going to try and have a one week T-break, and kick the tobacco at the same time, hopefully after that week the first vape session should have me sold.

I always feel I get a 'better stone' from smoking, I know this is not the case and it is harmful chemicals impacting my airways etc that are causing that feeling, so hopefully my first vape after a week off will be tasty enough, and more importantly put me on my ass enough to stop me from wanting to go buy smokes.

So you could try mixing in some vapes, blends of bud and tobacco, honestly I don't know how well it would work at all though it is possible with certain vapes (there was an old one that was built for you to just drop the rolled spliff in lol)

Farid

I don't get it. Even back when I smoked over a pack of cigarettes a day, and an oz of cannabis flower a week, I thought it tasted and felt terrible to mix the two. I thought that was something only silly kids did to experiment. Who knew :shrug:

Of course I occasionally smoked blunts back in the day (till I decided that blunts and joints waste too much weed, so I switched to pipes and bongs), but that's different. You don't really taste the wrapper you smoke in much, compared to the contents.

If you roll with tobacco from a commercial cigarette that would explain it. Cigarette tobacco is manufactured using all kinds of awful tasting ingredients like reconstituted tobacco and flavoring agents. They are also made to be smoked with a filter, which mutes the flavor. Plus these flavorings (along with branding) are what differentiate different brands.

Quality roll your own tobacco is a very different flavor.

I won't touch blunts. They're so disgusting, with their artificial flavor. The worst is the "green" game taste. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
If you roll with tobacco from a commercial cigarette that would explain it. Cigarette tobacco is manufactured using all kinds of awful tasting ingredients like reconstituted tobacco and flavoring agents. They are also made to be smoked with a filter, which mutes the flavor. Plus these flavorings (along with branding) are what differentiate different brands.

I never tried using tobacco from actual cigarettes. That would have been soooo much worse.
Back in those days it was not uncommon for us to roll our own cigarettes. I just used whatever rolling tobacco I used to enjoy smoking back then.

Like I said, I enjoyed smoking cigarrettes, rolled cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco. And I enjoyed smoking cannabis flower. Both were fine when smoked seperately. But if mixed them together, it turns into a volcano in my throat. Something about the way they interact together that seems to make it 10x harsher on my throat and lungs than either of them had ever been separately.

And every few years I would find myself trying blending them together and smoking to see if my taste had changed since the last time. But yeah, my throat can't handle them mixed together at all. It feels like I'm going to cough up a bloody lung if I add a little tobacco to my flower.

I always thought people who mixed them just had iron throats, and probably couldn't taste much if they were numb to the harshness of mixing tobacco with their herb enough to be able to handle them together. So yeah, I'm saying that y'all who like to mix the two together must have stronger throats when compared to us weak yanks who can't take the harshness of mixing the two together.

Ramahs,
Reactions: Okla68

DocNicksche

never tried using tobacco from actual cigarettes. That would have been soooo much worse.
Totally agree! Although it's pretty common to use cigarette tobacco to roll Joints, I never liked it. I prefer rolling tobacco... But only certain kinds. There are those with way too much flavor and other ingredients and there are those, they call "natural" with significantly less artifical ingredients. I only use the latter, also for rolling an occasional cigarette every now and then. I can't stand the taste and the strange feeling the "normal" cigarettes leave in my mouth 🤷‍♂️ ... I think this is mostly due to the thing called "aquired taste". I mean, for example, I'm almost Sure your first cigarette or your first sip of beer didn't taste soooo bloody delicious that you wanted to instantly repeat that experience, or did they?
But if mixed them together, it turns into a volcano in my throat.
This is actually really interesting and fun to read for me... Because it's just the other way around for me. I guess it really depends on how "you learn it" 🤷‍♂️
But, I would add another fact to the "harshness" of smoking weed. IMO, it really depends on how the weed was grown, which and how much fertilizers are used, if it was flushed properly and so on. In legal areas you have the quality control before it hits the shelfs (or at least there should be one). In illegal areas, you more or less have to take what's there and usually you don't know where it's coming from. At least it was like that for me for many years, before I started to grow my own... And with my own weed, it was nowhere near as harsh to smoke it pure as with the bought stuff. But I stopped growing when my son was born 4 years ago...the trouble one could get in for this here is just to serious!

So, I think I talked enough about tobacco smoking for a forum that's called "fuck combustion" ✌️
I just want to point out, that I totally believe vaping weed, or concentrates, is superior to smoking in every way! I'm just not quite there yet 😉 there is still this tiny, but bloody consistant, voice that tells me it's okay to roll a joint and smoke it...
It's also kind of a "ritual-thing"... The experience is different for me, as I seem to have to be way more involved and focused on the process of vaping compared to just sit there and smoke for a while.
Like, I love my Session vapes, like the crafty, because I can vape it, while not focusing on it...but on the other side I almost prefer torch powered vapes for the "umpfh" they provide.
Another thing is, I don't smoke/vape inside the house, because I don't want my kids to grow up in smoke. No problem in Summer, or as long as the weather is fine. But, due to this, a desktop device is out of question for me and also, torching a DV or anvil in the wind is not my favourite thing to do 😉

There are a lot of factors adding up for me, to make my full transition harder than it should be. But all of them are a totally subjective things, mostly in my head and I'm positive I'll be able to get over with them sooner or later ✌️

Ramahs

Yeah, I think that's where the mis-connection happens...because I've always found mixing cannabis and tobacco more harsh (even with blunts, but I could stand that). Other people seem to have opposite experiences.

I don't think there is any real factor in it. It must just be based on culture, which is complicated.. So I apologize for any condescending words like "weird" that I used carelessly earlier in this thread. I feel a bit of a dumbass looking back at that, @KeroZen :doh:
My apologies :ugh:

Lawless*

I would never forget the best chillum I had inn my life,
it was in North India in the belly of the great Himalaya mountains, known to be the birth place of the plant,
and in its most traditional ritual of Charas smoking it was mixed with tabacco. No need to argue its more shades of colours in the rainbow, there is something magical in following the footsteps of our stoned fathers and mothers!

The chillum, the mountain, the charas it was blissful.

Today I almost only vape, so be free and enjoy your high as you wish.

Cannabiker

About 40 years ago in Copenhagen I had just picked up some beautiful Moroccan hash, and I found a secluded spot along a downtown canal to enjoy it. A perfectly Scandinavian young woman rode up on her bike and asked to share. I was feeling like this was the best day of my life up to that point when she twisted up her face, looked into the bowl, and said, "It's just hash? No tobacco?" She thanked me anyway, handed the bowl back, and rode away. I felt like the punch line in a Seth Rogan movie.

On topic: I started vaping in about 2007 when I picked up a Silver Surfer. I'm really glad I spent the extra few bucks over other options of the time, like the Vapor Bros., because the SSV was just powerful enough to get me to quit combusting at home. My initial goal was purely health. I have active interests, especially mountain biking, and I want to maintain those activities as long as I can. With the SSV, I soon discovered I preferred most every aspect of vaping--flavor, effect, and even ritual.

Unfortunately, portables of the time couldn't keep up, so I kept combusting remote from home. I sort of took a step back with legalization in 2014. I could grow legally, so I suddenly had a shitload of weed. Instead of smoking bowls away from home, I took to rolling up half a dozen or so joints every morning, and I'd fire one up anytime the mood struck. I was still hitting the SSV at home, but I was smoking a ton. I wasn't happy about that, and portables were getting better, so I decided to give them a try.

You'll all recognize that moment, the genesis of VAS. I started with a Firefly. It is capable of a pretty good hit if you push it to its limits--I burned one out in a couple of months. But piss-poor battery life and just-barely-adequate performance meant the Firefly couldn't kill my combusting habit. Since the Firefly was regarded as one of the best at the time, I resigned myself to smoking on the go. Then a friend gave me a vape he didn't like, and I gave it a try. It was just powerful enough to keep me happy. Don't judge, but that vape was an OG PAX.

That was around 2016, and I haven't smoked since, except to take a hit when passed to me, or a very rare joint for nostalgia (though I haven't done that in a couple of years--it became too disappointing). I soon got a PAX 3, then a Mighty, a Grasshopper, an Argo, and finally, in 2018, a Dynavap. Now the SSV gathers dust while a B-Zero handles desktop duties (sadly displacing my beloved Underdog), and a variety of mostly-DV butane/IH vapes take good care of me away from home.

At this point I'm a true believer. Having learned about how vape is about 90% cannabinoids, while smoke is maybe 10% goodness mixed with 90% potential cancer, I can't imagine going back. And even if that equation weren't true, at this point I prefer everything about vaping, especially the effects. Vaping emphasizes all the qualities I seek in cannabis. I find it uplifting and inspiring, like caffeine with a smile, and the stupefaction stays in the ABV.

Vaporware

in its most traditional ritual of Charas smoking it was mixed with tabacco

I don’t think it should take away from the experience you enjoyed, but I feel like I should point out that tobacco only made it from the Americas to Europe in the 1500s, and I don’t think it was in India any earlier…traditions change, but I don’t see how tobacco could have been included in the oldest version of that tradition. :2c:

Ramahs

I would never forget the best chillum I had inn my life

What is the word "chillum" referring to in this context?
I've only seen the term referring to a type of straight glass one-hitter type of pipe. But it sounds like you are referring to a type/strain of cannabis. Is that correct?

Ramahs,

Knewt

I've only seen the term referring to a type of straight glass one-hitter type of pipe. But it sounds like you are referring to a type/strain of cannabis. Is that correct?
It looks like .75 to 1.

Knewt,

DocNicksche

A chillum in this context refers to a traditional type of pipe. I think usually made from clay, wood or stone.
It's kind of straight cone shaped and has a way bigger bowl than a one hitter.
It is used with a piece of cloth wrapped around the mouth piece and your hands. It's usually used with two hands.
I think in India the sadhus use it to reach their sacred states of highness...

Ramahs

A chillum in this context refers to a traditional type of pipe. I think usually made from clay, wood or stone.
It's kind of straight cone shaped and has a way bigger bowl than a one hitter.
It is used with a piece of cloth wrapped around the mouth piece and your hands. It's usually used with two hands.
I think in India the sadhus use it to reach their sacred states of highness...

Ahh. Yes, thanks for the info. I think I remember seeing these in video and pictures. It's usually held with the hands clasped together, and the chillum is stuck between two fingers, correct?

Something like this?
1503055558.jpg

I've wanted one of those for my collection for some time. That, and one of those "chalice" steam vaporizers, like these:
1557864297233_steamchalice__WIDE.jpg

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ahh. Yes, thanks for the info. I think I remember seeing these in video and pictures. It's usually held with the hands clasped together, and the chillum is stuck between two fingers, correct?

Something like this?
1503055558.jpg

I've wanted one of those for my collection for some time. That, and one of those "chalice" steam vaporizers, like these:
1557864297233_steamchalice__WIDE.jpg

No need to clasp your hands together, I refer to chillum, the same as one hitter, bat, onie, just a straight pipe without any carb hole (like TM stems why Grav chillums work for them) can be any material like glass or metal

Shit Snacks,

Ramahs

I refer to chillum, the same as one hitter, bat, onie, just a straight pipe without any carb hole (like TM stems why Grav chillums work for them) can be any material like glass or metal

Well, yeah. That is what I always thought of as a chillum. I have a handful of them in my glass cabinet.

But this different, apparently.

DocNicksche

Something like this?
1503055558.jpg
... exactly!👍
They were pretty "in" a couple of years back. Available in every headshop here, back then. But I haven't seen or used one in a while. It was mostly a thing we'd use in a social setting with a couple of people handing it around...the bowl was pretty big and with good hash it really was a nice experience 😉 a relatively harsh smoke, but if you watered the cloth a bit before, it was better and of course, it helped with the debris one would suck in by inhaling 🙂

I know, also those straight carbless glass tubes are called chillum. But I think it's not really the same thing. Also handling is different from what I have experienced.

...and that's a vape? Never seen one of these 🤔 ... I would have guessed it's a type of pipe too. Cool 👍 how does it work?

Ramahs

...and that's a vape? Never seen one of these 🤔 ... I would have guessed it's a type of pipe too. Cool 👍 how does it work?

It's an old classic Jamaican (I think?!?) type of vape. They called it "steam". But it's basically one of the oldest forms of vaporizing dry-herb that I am aware of. Basically, the original vaporizer!

Basically, in that clay chillum-looking part, there is a chamber to put your herb in, and then a screen goes above that, and they use charcoal (usually a safe one made from coconut husk fibers) at the top above the screen as a heat source. Then the heat from the charcoal is drawn down through the herb like any of our modern butane powered vapes like the Sticky Brick (but they were doing this hundreds of years ago).

Here's an example of how a simple one works:

I'd like one to use by the fire when I go hiking/camping!

DocNicksche

Thx! Just learned something new for me 👍
I mean, I saw pictures of these, but really thought it was just some kind of coconut bamboo Bong/Pipe.

Interesting piece for a collector, for Sure! I can't imagine this would make it into my daily rotation 😉 but very cool concept and awesome they did it like this for a long time!

Ramahs

I've been wanting one in my collection, because it's such an iconic piece in the history of vaping. And, it's a cool novelty thing to pull out and use once a year or so amongst close friends, especially when out in nature (hiking, camping, etc.). I like the idea of using one of these while laying back beside a campfire.

Lawless*

The are a few artists that dedicated their life to creating the best chillum:
1. Always best quality of clay (Italian TerraCotta).
2. Almost always made by Italians.(Marco is/was a big Artist)
3. Based on modern ovens to get a high quality product.

and just like Any other Hand Made pieces it cost a lot!! the artisan level of the clay and chillum making let the hash bowl get to a very high temperature and keep it through most of the session, and reduce the harshness of the "Puff". My chillum us 15 years old Made by Tazos.

The level of chillum will make a big difference, and will make the most powerfull "puff" after you try an Italian one you cant go back!

DocNicksche

I wanted to add another fact in the favor of vaping, which I haven't considered as much, but seems one of the most important ones...

The medical effects, efficiency of extraction and therefore higher availability in the body.

To be clear, I'm no medical user. At least not in a way that I'm relying on my daily dose. I use weed recreationally, for "my peace of mind", etc. My medical use would be that I sometimes use more, to help with any kind of pain.
For about a week now I have pain in my lower-back...typical for a office job in combination with a lack of physical activity 🤷‍♂️
Since I don't like taking a bunch of pain pills every day, I medicate with weed. And here, my actual point comes:
Smoking helps a bit with the pain... it does, but nowhere near as good as vaping! I can smoke like 2 or 3 joints in a row and the pain is slightly better. I vape a bowl from my sticky brick runt, or my anvil and it's like suddenly the pain-killing effects are multiplied to a level they really help! Also with the inflamation processes going on the the muscles and nerves it seems to make a significant difference 👍

Sorry, if the post is failing the topic of "enjoyment" , but I felt it still would "add something" to the thread 😉✌️

Raskolnikov

Title may seem like a negative, but it really isn't. The more consistently I use my desktop, the less appeal spliffs and/or bong rips have.
My renewed interest in vaping comes from a health standpoint, smoking is starting to make me feel quite ill, especially where I mix with tobacco, and vaping is yet to trigger even a small bit of nausea. Just a clean high that feels like being a young teen just starting smoking again.

Anyone else had similar experiences? I'm yet to fully fuck combustion, but this is a sign I'm getting there. I miss being able to blaze and play video games without the toxic smoke compounds making me motion sick. It is only ever when I smoke or when I have smoked. After vaping I get none of that, and way higher at that.

Confession time, when I first got into vaping like 3 years ago, I thought it was weak at first. My tolerance is very high although I do still get baked, and I'd yet to figure out the V-Tower's temperature quirk of needing to set it higher than you would because of the element's distance to the chamber. Vaping at what should be combustion temps but due to the distance doesn't, and I get a lovely clean high temp extraction.

I started off when I was at a "no no" age* in the vape world with a Black Widow, which is an unsafe bag of arse. To it's credit, the thing worked. I could vape a decent bowl from it, but the high just wasn't what I was seeking. I was combusting also at the time, which could explain it. Then I learned about the fibreglass and the thing was indefinitely shelved as a relic of an ignorant time, lool. Couple years later I seek to try it again so order myself a V-Tower, similar issue was had with the high, so it was shelved until recently when my body is telling me "smoke is killing you, stop" that I've taken up vaping again and am determined to make the switch. (*I'm 20 years old as of writing this post, don't panic)

Here's the mad part, now I've learned the temp quirk, vaping gets me absolutely monged. Way more than smoking does and the clean high and tastes is making smoking increasingly unenjoyable. A day where the plug let me down triggered an involuntary T break for a day, the next day I had a spliff and I vomited and didn't feel right for ages. That was also a trigger into my renewed vaping interest, to stay medicated without poisoning myself.

I thought I was on the the edge of Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (yes I smoke that much) but a vapouriser showed me it's not the cannabis making me ill, at all, but the tobacco and toxic smoke. This is my first proper post in this community, and I apologise if this somehow breaks any rules or forum ettiquette, I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to future participation.

- Buttermatik420/LilTraumatik
I used an Arizer EQ for years . If you buy the DDave bowl it takes the bowl much closer to the heater. It makes an enormous difference to the hits you receive and you don't need such high temps. My EQ broke recently so if you don't have a DDave bowl you can have mine. I'd be more than happy to send you it if you are in the UK. You can also get clones for £5 on eBay.

As for the health benefits of vaping, for me it's just a nice bonus. I vape because it gets me way more stoned than I do off a joint. I still smoke joints regularly through the day but if I'm in the mood to get wrecked I use a vape with herb and a little concentrate on top. The Arizer works well with moon rocks too.

Top Bottom