Vaping killing the enjoyment of combustion!

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
I was a 15yrs long smoker. I stopped smoking maybe 100 times, then 99 times I was back on smoking because of the wonderful mix @Lawless* pointed out. Then I bought a solo during a t beak (t for tobacco mainly) and started vaping.
All of a sudden the pavlov reflex that associate smoke with wellness was broken for good and I never partake with smoking again, besides some minor accident with manual vapes (first experiences with VC or vapman).

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
This forum helps a lot, but one day we will need to address VAS as the next problem....

Hey now...I love my VAS, and keep it close to my heart.
It's a large part of what drives me in this entertaining hobby.
I would be more worried more about my mental health if I somehow lost my VAS. That would be a sad/depressing day 😥

Last edited:

DocNicksche

Same story here.. I am on a +- 5 years of a war with combustion, it turns out to be one of the most amazing blends in the world weed(hash-even more) and tobacco, so it is very difficult:sherlock:

I totally agree...with hash it is even more so, that I'm fully programmed on hash+tobacco 🤦🤷‍♂️ ... I don't even really enjoy it mixing with Weed, since I love that unique flavor profile of hash...the tobacco is just "Background", if you're already a smoker. But, to be honest, it is soooo bloody rare, that I can get my hands on a good quality hash here (litterally like every couple of years, that I find some that is worth spending money in it), so I don't see a problem for me here 😉
This forum helps a lot, but one day we will need to address VAS as the next problem....
Yeah, it helps a Lot! I'm actually really enjoying it here 👍

The VAS already got me years ago! But it all started with e-cigs for me. I have a pretty cool collection, even some rare pieces 😁
And it continues with dry herb vapes! Once it gets you, you're done! 😂
I mean, my dry herb collection is still pretty small, but I got some nice vapes I really enjoy!

I started with a flower mate years ago and it just never was nearly satifying what I was able to get out of it 🤷‍♂️ very possible it was user error and/or the quality of Weed I had, but it just didn't work for me and I tossed it!
Then I got an og mighty...and that's where it started for me! I like it so much, I added a crafty+ about 2 years ago
Meanwhile I added a couple of dynavaps (mostly TI), including "accessoires" like a simrell stinger and both revolve stems. An äris/Fenix (they seem to have different vendors, depending in Location or so), which isn't used very often, tbh. A tinymight and the anvil round my experience very nicely 👍
Currently I'm waiting for some vapemail 😁 a Dani and a runt will be mine real soon, as well as a convector Tip+Cap 🤘
I just love new Toys!
To celebrate this haul and hopefully, finally transfer to vaping 100%, I went for a stock-up to my man...came home with 7 different, very nice strains 😅 can't wait until the new toys arrive!

Edited.

AJS

Calm Consistency
In retrospect, the “enjoyment of combustion” is grossly overrated.
I'm visiting Amsterdam at the moment and really wish I could take advantage of the "smoke basically anywhere", but I know it'll just be nasty combusting.
Been grabbing/going with edibles, and walking into coffeeshops with Verdampers to still get some sense of the Amsterdam weed experience.

I think if you have even just a decent vape, leaving combustion behind just happens naturally.

Xenkishøtz

𝓣Ø𝓜𝓑𝓗Ø𝓤𝓢𝓔 𝓣𝓥
If only that were true, I would be a lot less frustrated with my smoking friends than I am.
It certainly takes work and willpower on the part of the combustion quitter. Vaping isn't a magical smoking cure all but it sure helps haha

coolbreeze

I think if you have even just a decent vape, leaving combustion behind just happens naturally.
I think if you find the right vape, leaving combustion happens naturally. I don't think it's necessary to find the one perfect vape that everyone feels comfortable recommending to you, but rather the one that clicks with you. Dynavaps were perfect for me because they had many'familiar' aspects to the dugout one-hitters I had mostly done for years, but they also were not unlike a pipe and a joint, in various ways. I think a lot of people would not agree that my choice was the perfect starter vape, but for them there may be another idiosyncratic choice I might find baffling.

Last edited:

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
I'm visiting Amsterdam
Been grabbing/going with edibles, and walking into coffeeshops with Verdampers to still get some sense of the Amsterdam weed experience.
Barney's had Volcanos, not sure if they do still. Was my first stop b/c of that. Stay safe!

cannabis.pro,
Reactions: AJS

Ramahs

It certainly takes work and willpower on the part of the combustion quitter. Vaping isn't a magical smoking cure all but it sure helps haha

Didn't take work and willpower for me.

I was broke (couple days before payday after the rent check was paid), and only had a little bit of shake left (like, literally a pinch). And I'd been reading that dry-herb vapes got you high with less weed, and that you tasted so much more of the flavor.

But, like many seasoned smokers, I'd never been able to justify the cost of even a lower-end vapor device just to smoke weed.

What I did was make an old-fashioned shake-and-bake vape out of a regular 60W incandescent lightbulb. (Something like this)
And that got me high off of that little pinch from the bottom corner of my empty bag that wouldn't have done shit in my pipe. But not only that, I tasted so much more than I ever tasted smoking!

This experience was proof-of-concept enough that I did some research, and within a couple months I bought my first vape (a MFLB), and I was hooked.

I bought my second vape probably a couple months later. It was a desktop unit (Da Buddha), and I pretty much stopped combusting all together at that point. I got higher from a lot less material (I like spending 1/4 of the money to get the same high, ya know?), and it tasted fantastically better. I mean, I have a hard time understanding why anyone wouldn't be convinced by those two benefits alone. And that's not even going into the health benefits of vaporizing my cannabis vs smoking it. At that time, the health benefits was just a side-bonus of switching to vaporizing. The main motivating reason for me was getting higher off less herb (so it cost me significantly less), and that the flavor was leaps and bounds better than smoking.

Now it's something like six or seven years later, I have a collection of vapes, and I can't remember the last time I combusted.
And it's not that I haven't converted some smoker friends to vaporists, and it's not that I don't have other friends who found their own way to vaporizers on their own...but I just have a hard time understanding the smoker friends of mine that have tried many of my vapes (from starters like a Dynavap, or an electronic handheld, to one of my heavy-hitting desktops like my flowerpot), and they still just don't get why I'd prefer that over a joint or a blunt.

Most of them just don't want to use a gadget to consume their weed, and they actually prefer the taste of the smoke to any vapor I could show them.

It is what it is, I guess :shrug:

fangorn

But the hardest part is the tobacco addiction, not stopping combustion. This is where all the cravings come from,

really, does it work for you? It didn't change anything about my sugar cravings at midnight... I haven't been able to get rid of it for more than 20 years... including 4-5 years of exclusive vaping...

My big complaint about combustion is the smell, it wreaks, can’t stand it anymore, when you smoke it you don’t notice the smell, but walk into room where someone just puffed, to me it’s terrible

perceptions are funny... I can't stand smoking for 2-3 years I think... but I love this irreplaceable skunk smell! I'll follow someone down the street just for that smell! I know that when you smoke you don't notice this smell, but it drives me crazy!

my advice to those who can't stop completely: find an e-cigarette that satisfies you for nicotine... and always start your cannabis session by vaping rather than smoking a joint... you can always smoke a joint afterwards if necessary... but smoking tobacco damages the taste buds and you don't really benefit from vaping... ditto, smoking a cigarette before vaping ruins the experience!!! (my humble opinion of course)

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
really, does it work for you? It didn't change anything about my sugar cravings at midnight... I haven't been able to get rid of it for more than 20 years... including 4-5 years of exclusive vaping...

I don't know about sugar cravings, I'm more of a salty guy... :lol:

But for nicotine yes, I managed to stop it as well as all forms of combustion since 2014. The first two weeks are very hard, then at the 1 month mark you have a risk of relapse. Then at the 2 months mark also. Then ultimately at the 6 months mark you might get a sudden craving and wrongly think you can handle it and smoke just one cig... but nope! If you resist past that period, chances are you'll succeed.

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, especially in this thread. I know it's bloody difficult and the nicotine addiction is super strong. You need a pretty good source of motivation. For me sadly, it was attending my aunt's funeral. She was alcoholic as well as a chain smoker. Went away too early. Proof enough for me that this shit does kill. YMMV.

Good luck ya'll!

aaront

I quit smoking pot for years and then I started vaping again with a dynavap. I've moved onto edibles 50% and I'm about to get a new vape. I can't stand combustion and when it happens with my dynavap I feel I just waste my expensive medicine.

fangorn

I don't know about sugar cravings, I'm more of a salty guy... :lol:

But for nicotine yes, I managed to stop it as well as all forms of combustion since 2014. The first two weeks are very hard, then at the 1 month mark you have a risk of relapse. Then at the 2 months mark also. Then ultimately at the 6 months mark you might get a sudden craving and wrongly think you can handle it and smoke just one cig... but nope! If you resist past that period, chances are you'll succeed.

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, especially in this thread. I know it's bloody difficult and the nicotine addiction is super strong. You need a pretty good source of motivation. For me sadly, it was attending my aunt's funeral. She was alcoholic as well as a chain smoker. Went away too early. Proof enough for me that this shit does kill. YMMV.

Good luck ya'll!

Same here... bereavement and paternity had a decisive impact on my motivation!

The idea of stopping the e-cig is starting to germinate well but it scares me...!

On the other hand, I know that without cannabis my life would be very different so I can't even imagine it...

Okla68

Title may seem like a negative, but it really isn't. The more consistently I use my desktop, the less appeal spliffs and/or bong rips have.
My renewed interest in vaping comes from a health standpoint, smoking is starting to make me feel quite ill, especially where I mix with tobacco, and vaping is yet to trigger even a small bit of nausea. Just a clean high that feels like being a young teen just starting smoking again.

Anyone else had similar experiences? I'm yet to fully fuck combustion, but this is a sign I'm getting there. I miss being able to blaze and play video games without the toxic smoke compounds making me motion sick. It is only ever when I smoke or when I have smoked. After vaping I get none of that, and way higher at that.

Confession time, when I first got into vaping like 3 years ago, I thought it was weak at first. My tolerance is very high although I do still get baked, and I'd yet to figure out the V-Tower's temperature quirk of needing to set it higher than you would because of the element's distance to the chamber. Vaping at what should be combustion temps but due to the distance doesn't, and I get a lovely clean high temp extraction.

I started off when I was at a "no no" age* in the vape world with a Black Widow, which is an unsafe bag of arse. To it's credit, the thing worked. I could vape a decent bowl from it, but the high just wasn't what I was seeking. I was combusting also at the time, which could explain it. Then I learned about the fibreglass and the thing was indefinitely shelved as a relic of an ignorant time, lool. Couple years later I seek to try it again so order myself a V-Tower, similar issue was had with the high, so it was shelved until recently when my body is telling me "smoke is killing you, stop" that I've taken up vaping again and am determined to make the switch. (*I'm 20 years old as of writing this post, don't panic)

Here's the mad part, now I've learned the temp quirk, vaping gets me absolutely monged. Way more than smoking does and the clean high and tastes is making smoking increasingly unenjoyable. A day where the plug let me down triggered an involuntary T break for a day, the next day I had a spliff and I vomited and didn't feel right for ages. That was also a trigger into my renewed vaping interest, to stay medicated without poisoning myself.

I thought I was on the the edge of Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (yes I smoke that much) but a vapouriser showed me it's not the cannabis making me ill, at all, but the tobacco and toxic smoke. This is my first proper post in this community, and I apologise if this somehow breaks any rules or forum ettiquette, I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to future participation.

- Buttermatik420/LilTraumatik
Contrary to hundreds of years of use that way, mixing Tobacco with my Cannabis has Always made me sick to my stomach. Cant believe people do that. If you had handed me a joint with Tobacco in it, I would have asked you to leave. Its that repulsive to me, even after 50 + years of Cannabis use!

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Contrary to hundreds of years of use that way, mixing Tobacco with my Cannabis has Always made me sick to my stomach. Cant believe people do that. If you had handed me a joint with Tobacco in it, I would have asked you to leave. Its that repulsive to me, even after 50 + years of Cannabis use!
Wow. Tough crowd 😂

I agree though, I never liked it one bit when I smoked joints. It was usually done as a way to "stretch" your weed and also, dry tobacco could help prevent the cherry from going out if the weed was too wet.

Ramahs

I am totally with you. To be honest, I'd never even heard of anyone mixing actual tobacco with their flower until people here and on reddit convinced that there are weird people out there that do this.

I know I'd tried it before, but I thought it up on my own, and figured "oh, this is why no one does this", after discovering that smokinbg the mix was so much worse tasting, and so much harsher on my throat, than smoking either tobacco or cannabis by themsleves. Then, after like 20 years of using cannabis, I discover on here that it's common practice to mix the two in joints for people in European countries, and I just thought that was nuts.

But yeah, apparently there are people out there who do this.
I don't get it. Even back when I smoked over a pack of cigarettes a day, and an oz of cannabis flower a week, I thought it tasted and felt terrible to mix the two. I thought that was something only silly kids did to experiment. Who knew :shrug:

Of course I occasionally smoked blunts back in the day (till I decided that blunts and joints waste too much weed, so I switched to pipes and bongs), but that's different. You don't really taste the wrapper you smoke in much, compared to the contents.

Ramahs,
Reactions: Okla68

DocNicksche

But yeah, apparently there are people out there who do this.
I don't get it. Even back when I smoked over a pack of cigarettes a day, and an oz of cannabis flower a week, I thought it tasted and felt terrible to mix the two. I thought that was something only silly kids did to experiment. Who knew :shrug:
I totally get your point, but over here, it really is common place to mix flower and tobacco. Maybe it's because there was more hash available than good flower a couple of years back 🤷‍♂️ or maybe just to save some weed and money, since it was and still is illegal in most parts of Europe. Therefore, supply and price are not always to ones liking 😉
I can only speak for me here, but I started with the mix and this is kinda "how I learned it" and came to love it. Tastes are different.
And, no offense, but I cannot agree with your point about not tasting the wrapper of a Blunt. I loved smoking blunts too and, in this case I would use only weed too, but I definitely could taste the wrapper. Even more so if you use one of those terrible flavored Wraps.

And the Thing with addiction to nicotine/tabacco is, even if you know it's not good for you and even if you think it does not really taste enjoyable, your brain just overrides those facts with flooding your receptors with serotonine and dopamin and so on... Until one gets to the point where he or she wants to change that. If "this click" doesn't fully happen, you'll struggle forever with this addiction.

...just my humble opinion 😉

That being said, I admit, I'm one of these people struggling with it. But, threads like this, where other people talk about their transition, really help me to more and more accept the fact, that the click needs to happen for me.

Also, I have to justify all the vapes I bought over the last couple of years! 😅

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
until people here and on reddit convinced that there are weird people out there that do this.

This comes out as very condescending you know. :\

As @DocNicksche pretty well explained, it's a cultural thing, mostly due to Europe being closer to the greatest hash producers (Morocco, Lebanon and Afghanistan historically) You have to mix it with tobacco in some way to consume it.

Then yes, living under strong prohibition, something that you Yanks tend to be forgetting a tad too fast for us poor chaps still suffering it, means weed can be both scarce and expensive. Mixing it makes your stash last longer. You dilute it, even if you'd prefer not having to...

Ultimately mixing with tobacco helps to sustain the combustion. Makes also the smoke easier on the throat (most Europeans will cough like crazy if they smoke it pure, but apparently for North Americans there is a myth that coughing is part of the process and gets you high, completely WTF for us but heh?)

When I bought some California glass-hippyware a while ago, hoping I would be able to smoke pure weed inside, I was very disappointed by having to either hit it up all in one big hit which I don't like, or face having to light it up EVERY single hit I took, because the bloody thing kept extinguishing itself.... a thing that never happens when mixed with tobacco.

So you see, don't dismiss us too quickly like you did. We're not weird, we have our reasons and a different culture.

:peace:

Smohldur

The more you'll vape the more you'll dislike combustion in the end. Might be hard at first for about 2-3 weeks but then afterwards you'll have no regrets whatsoever I promise.

But the hardest part is the tobacco addiction, not stopping combustion. This is where all the cravings come from, the urge to toke in the morning, what would make you go outside during a rainy storm just to buy cigs or paper... Nicotine is the real evil, not THC.

I wish you good luck mate, but it's worth it!
Bit of a slight necro, but I just joined the forum so I guess it's allowed :p

This is what I am struggling with at the moment, the tobacco always pushes me back to combustion. I smoked a spliff yesterday and am waiting on my new meds arriving. I am going to try and have a one week T-break, and kick the tobacco at the same time, hopefully after that week the first vape session should have me sold.

I always feel I get a 'better stone' from smoking, I know this is not the case and it is harmful chemicals impacting my airways etc that are causing that feeling, so hopefully my first vape after a week off will be tasty enough, and more importantly put me on my ass enough to stop me from wanting to go buy smokes.

Okla68

Its not so much a Taste thing as much as it is a Breathing thing. When I combine the two, Cannabis and Tobacco, it seems to instantly interfere with breathing. Sure, Cannabis does and so does Tobacco, but, when the 2 are combined, its like whats left of my lungs cease to function, I Cant Inhale.... Its been this way since 1969 when I first started smoking Cannabis.
I attempted to vape tobacco once, I did that Twice, 1st and Last, choke, gasp !!!
Different strokes, different folks !

DocNicksche

most Europeans will cough like crazy if they smoke it pur
Lmao! 😂 ...this is so true! I do at least 😂
A good friend of mine is from the states originally. From NY, but he's been here for more than 20 years now... I like chillin with him and when we do, we smoke a lot! It's hard for me to smoke his Joints (not taste-wise, they are just too harsh for me 🤷‍♂️) and he doesn't like mine 😅 he doesn't smoke pure any more. We always joke this was part of his integration as austrian citizen 😂✌️ he uses "just enough tobacco to keep the Cherry from going out all the time" (his own words). Really nothing and I always wonder why he even does it. Since he smokes cigarettes too, no additional harm is done 😉

coolbreeze

Its not so much a Taste thing as much as it is a Breathing thing. When I combine the two, Cannabis and Tobacco, it seems to instantly interfere with breathing. Sure, Cannabis does and so does Tobacco, but, when the 2 are combined, its like whats left of my lungs cease to function, I Cant Inhale.... Its been this way since 1969 when I first started smoking Cannabis.
I attempted to vape tobacco once, I did that Twice, 1st and Last, choke, gasp !!!
Different strokes, different folks !
As kids in the 70s we were aware that Europeans mixed tobacco with their hash, primarily, as a substrate for smoking it, since it's tricky to burn in a joint or whathaveyou. Our understanding was that weed was outlawed across Europe making growing tricky (not to mention climate, etc) and so they instead took advantage of eons-old eastern trade routes to get hash, a refined substance easier to hide/ship. (we also had trade routes to Mexico, Columbia, and eastern Asia that supplied herbs instead of refined hash.)

I tried tobacco in joints once or twice, but as you say, it was difficult to take a deep-lung pull like you would with a pure-reefer joint. In never added anything positive for me (already a tobacco smoker) so I more or less forgot about it until I find here on FC that tobacco adds another wrinkle to switching over to pure vaping.

I wish I could think of something constructive, but quitting tobacco for me was maybe a bit easier, in that it was separate altogether from herbs. Best of luck to everyone struggling!

Ramahs

As @DocNicksche pretty well explained, it's a cultural thing, mostly due to Europe being closer to the greatest hash producers (Morocco, Lebanon and Afghanistan historically) You have to mix it with tobacco in some way to consume it.

I've smoked hash many times back when I combusted, but I never saw anyone say that they have to mix tobacco with it. It burned fine in our pipes by itself!

Then yes, living under strong prohibition, something that you Yanks tend to be forgetting a tad too fast for us poor chaps still suffering it, means weed can be both scarce and expensive.

Ummm...that's complete bullshit. I lived in Texas most of my life (one of the strongest prohibition states in the usa. So much so that I barely escaped 2-20 years in prison for having a small amount of cannabis. I have only lived in a legal cannabis area for the last year.

Makes also the smoke easier on the throat (most Europeans will cough like crazy if they smoke it pure

I just can't fathom why people would feel this way. I mean, the main reason I disliked mixing tobacco with my cannabis is that it seemed significantly harsher on my throat, and made me cough like CRAZY when I smoked them together. pure cannabis flower by itself does not make me cough like that. But, if I mix it with tobacco, it's hell-on-earth for my throat, and I can't stop coughing (and this was back when I was a daily smoker of both tobacco and cannabis separately. And, everyone I've asked that tried mixing the two has said the same, that it just makes you cough too damn much to mix them. I guess that Europeans just have different kinds of throats (but I know that's bullshit). It's just what you're used to.

Top Bottom