Vaping in movie theaters

tr33sPlease

How about using it in the car before you go into the theater?

If you can't make it through a movie without a hit, edibles would probably be a safer choice.
Yup, this...I only did it to say I did it in my much younger, risk taking days...

tr33sPlease,

sry9681

There are a couple of ways to satisfy the movie vape question...
  1. Put electrical tape around the air holes and cut crosses/slits where the air holes are so that the slits open up when breathing in and closes the second you stop pulling in
  2. use a silk or sponge like material to cover the air holes.
  3. OR the easiest option if you have a jacket on is to use the end of the sleeve to wrap around the air holes while still holding it and that will effectively block all light while still breathing through that one layer of jacket sleeve.

kingfisher

I would advise against vaping in a movie theater. I also used to think vape didn't smell. Trust me it smells still and everyone knows what it is. If you haven't heard a complaint it's because people are being nice.

My advice is that it looks like the air inlets and lights alternate. So maybe you can cover the leds.

Best option would be to 3d print a led cover.

Likes2vape

In my younger days I would've busted out the hopper in the theater no problem. I used to bring beer into the movies and sneak hits in the bathroom during piss breaks. But that was also a different time.

Nowadays I hope I just get a functioning hopper with no problems and if it is scratched up I'll probably keep it just so long as it works properly!

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
For the bright light in the ring of lights: Take a black, blue, or green medium or fine point Sharpie and place a dot over the glass lens to eclipse/veil the light. 90+% ISO can be used at any time to wipe it off if desired. Simple & effective, with no vent obstruction or added bulk to the form factor!

Last edited:

Scott A

To me it don't smell like popcorn EVER, That's partly why i use a Smoke buddy jr at theaters. I also juice tincture vape and those are dense vapors and could possibly slightly obstruct peoples view behind me, So that's mainly why i take the Smoke buddy.

I think the Grasshopper will be just fine as long as it's not Esv bright.
Me too. I have never understood where the popcorn thing came from. Exhaled vapor smells strongly like weed to me unless its a very cashed hit late in the bowl. Its why I still even use a smoke buddy in my apartment.

Vapor Loop

@delloy thank you for the link they look cool. There doing a giveaway for the hoodies. Here's the LINK to eneter, good luck.

I think the best way is plain site, As soon as someone see's vapor coming from that there really gonna think somethings up.

I know one option that's probably not available at a reasonable distance for a lot of people, But you can always go to a drive in take a car jumper pack and a Eq and blow bags. :rofl: You may wan't to block all windows except windshield for that one.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If you have a Solo. You'll still have an issue with a little smell. I've never used cannabis in a movie theatre. A concert would be a different story. Here in WA they are getting after folks for using ecigs now.
Where's the Solo?
mc_cup520.png

Vapor Loop

If you have a Solo. You'll still have an issue with a little smell. I've never used cannabis in a movie theatre. A concert would be a different story. Here in WA they are getting after folks for using ecigs now.
Where's the Solo?

A little i turned my Air on after finishing my Esv didn't even take a draw before i shut it off. I thought it smelled way too much for theaters.

I notice people pretty much everywhere getting on what they call E-cigs. I simply just tell them it's a medical tincture and that's normally good enough, When it's not i show them that what i use you can put anything in it and it happens to be my Asthma tincture. I have never had to explain it further than that.

Superhans

Personally I would think this is a little antisocial but that's just my frame of reference from somewhere it's still illegal I guess. My rational mind knows it shouldn't be any different to strong smelling food though and people bring in pizzas and the like all the time.

I like to sit through a movie high but I've always just vaped beforehand. Maybe I'd consider topping up outside at a stretch.

I don't know where the popcorn thing has come from either. From the moment I got my first vape I could smell the weed (although it doesn't stick around) and I've tested with both non-smokers and smokers vaping in front of them and the non smokers could always smell it. Maybe your devices hide it better though.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
It's just lazy and gives vapers a bad name. Does anyone NEED to vape right in the theater? There are so many places one could vape minutes before that won't cause a public problem. At best it looks selfish, at worst it's asking for legal problems or getting kicked out.

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
No you shouldn't vape indoors like a movie theatre or the mall. I use ejuice and I don't really likeseeing them used where cigarettes aren't allowed. You should be respectful to others. Now that hoodie on the other hand is a dog walkers dream...

Vapor Loop

I do i seriously do make Asthma tinctures and choose to use that instead of some big pharma bullshit. I really don't understand how some places that create there own vapors even try to say you can't when they think it's a so called E-cig.

Vapor Loop,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

woolspinner

I see I am not completely alone in thinking it is rude to do anything that would disturb other patrons: talking, texting (flashing lights in a dark theatre? I WILL say something to you and eventually call an usher if you keep that shit up), heavy perfumes, stinky foods (unless a theatre that serves food), smoke any substance, bringing your whiny 6y.o. into a movie with a rating above G...

I love the movie theatre experience and it irritates me, nay, pisses me off, when other patrons are inconsiderate of the fact that we are all in the same theatre.

I love the smell of weed, but not everyone does, so unless it is without lights, smell or sound, it is rude.

If I were in a theatre and smelled pot, I would say nothing because I would enjoy the smell, but I would mutter about it being rude.

I agree with the edibles suggestion. Just make sure you do not leave any behind!

And yes, I also stay unto the end of the credits. :)

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Probably best to vape in your car before the movie. Too many people sitting too close and most portable vapes have some sort of a light. Vaporizers aren't free of cannabis smell either. I agree with being respectful to the others in the theater.

You're risking the embarrassment of getting kicked out of the theater and losing your movie money. Some things just aren't worth the risk. I wouldn't do it even in a legal state. Using cannabis in public is against the law still here in WA. It irritates me because alcohol is so much worse.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
When I was younger I used my MFLB in theatres/restaurant bathrooms, I would just hold my hits in real long and exhale into my sleeve. I would also take one giant drag at a time so not to stink up too much.

MFLB was pretty great for stealth like that, but overrall I didn't like doing it as it made me paranoid about getting caught. I now just vape in my car before the movie.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
:myday: Yeah, I kinda miss those days when you could just sit and chain smoke Cigarettes while watching a movie in a theater or at a concert so no one ever noticed if you took a few hits off your bat/dugout.

Boy o' boy where those ever "The good ol' days".

Now-a-days I chose to kinda overvape a bit before going in a finding a seat.

Last edited:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
First, thanks to @Stu for moving all this mess to its own thread. The grasshopper thread can be painful enough to read - even without pages of derailing like this!

Vape in a theater? Often! I do vape up in the car (and usually at home before leaving), and sometimes have some edibles before that. It has been monitored and is undetectable to most. How? MFLB, of course! I wouldn't do it in a very crowded theater like opening weekend of a blockbuster, but you can get away with it as long as those sitting on either side of you aren't going to be bothered by it. With MFLB you can (and often have to) sip your vapor, so you can take very light hits. Hold your hit as long as you can. Then exhale in to your sleeve or down the collar of your shirt. Not a good way to get stoned IMO, but great for topping off. Always be sure to keep an eye and ear out for people looking for where any smell comes from, and keep your hits spaced out time wise.

I have a very close friend who smoked weed for over 30 years. She quit about 7/8 years ago. Doesn't mind if I vape when with her (even in her car), but can usually pick up on the scent very quickly and easily - usually from my breath. A couple years ago we went to a matinee, so it wasn't too crowded. I asked her to help me test this out and told her I would be vaping here and there through the movie and to let me know if she detected anything. We did sit with one empty seat between us for comfort, since it wasn't too crowded. I took about 5/6 very light hits here and there before she asked me "Are you going to try that thing out or what?" This was about an hour into the movie, and I had already stopped because the light trench I had filled was pretty much spent. I just blew my breath towards her and she cracked up! Her laughing was much more annoying to others than my vaping, but she calmed down quick enough. Have conducted similar experiments with others a few times since with same results.

Don't advise it for all, but if you have good control of your MFLB it can be easily done, and no lights going off to worry about other than the little one in the trench. One other tip.... wait until a darker scene to hit it. It's easy to palm in native mode, but why draw attention to yourself? Also works many other places and have found if you're outside to just blow the vapor down. Unless in a tight crowd it doesn't get noticed. Or, if everywhere around you is crowded find the smoking area and hide out there. I have taken a bigger hit and just let it go in some of these situations where I felt safe enough, mainly to see what would be noticed. People usually don't confront anyone, but have seen a few with the where did that come from look on their face and looking around. Don't think any ever actually figured me out, though.

Popcorn smell? I don't think I've ever heard of it before this discussion. Don't think I have ever smelled it, either. Popcorn taste - burnt popcorn to be specific? All the time! This is a pretty good indicator your load is just about done - especially when using a conduction vape like the MFLB. But, vape exhale pretty much always smells like vape exhale.

Solo in a cup? Have done it in the car a few times while on the road in daylight, but would never use indoors or anywhere I may bump into a LEO or someone who would call them. The solo gets pretty stinky pretty quick from the conduction part of how it works. Just the other day I was in the car with a friend (who I often vape with). He did know I had the solo with us, and I had said we would vape up in a bit. I turned on the solo to 5 and put in cup holder between us while waiting for warmup, but he didn't notice. A few seconds later he asked "What's that smell?" I smelled the unmistakeable scent of weed vaping also, took a look at the solo. The lights were just going from 3 to 4 heat. It is due for a good cleaning, but have noticed similar from it while spotless.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
How are people certain that nobody is noticing? Because the cops aren't there? Because nobody else in the theater is freaking out? Probably over 90% of the time I can smell someone vaping, I don't do anything. Maybe they get the impression nobody can smell it, but that doesn't sound like a good assumption.

Reminds me of a guy who drank at work, saying nobody could tell. He only found out he was wrong when he finally got canned for it.

If somebody absolutely has to vape in a theater (yeah right), it seems ridiculous to figure nobody can tell. It seems the real problem is some people don't seem to care if anyone can notice them vaping. Vaping and smoking does reduce one's sense of smell. It's like how cigarette smokers can barely smell their own tobacco reek, but any non-smoker has no problem telling. It's a false sense of security. It's a bummer to see and smell people doing this in an enclosed public place. It just gives valid concern to those who oppose cannabis. And I see their point-- if vapers have so little self-control and self-awareness and concern about people who are sensitive to these smells, maybe this country isn't ready to move forward with legalization.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
MFLB, native mode, in the bathroom stall. If you're really paranoid blow into a handful of toilet tissue....
Problem with this approach is I can't remember the last time a movie had an intermission so you're gonna miss a few scenes.

I wouldn't do it in the theater though unless I was sitting at the top tier with nobody near me. Top tier only so nobody is watching from behind and most folks don't turn around.... but the real reason I would work it like that is because, as others have implied, it's kind of disrespectful to those who may be sitting close to you.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
How are people certain that nobody is noticing?...

Because they've tested it several times with people who still smoke/vape weed and those who don't but who definitely know what the smell is. You want to find someone who can smell cigarette smoke? Find yourself a former smoker. Have found pretty much the same with former or occasional weed smokers and know they can smell vapor, but didn't smell this even when asked to be on the lookout for it. I've also been un-vaped and sat next to someone who was doing this but didn't smell a thing, even tho I was watching and trying to smell it. I had eaten some edibles, but IME this usually makes it easier to smell weed in any form.

Don't absolutely have to vape in a theater, or anywhere - including home for that matter. But with the quality of most movies and what they charge for tickets and concessions, I'm out to enjoy myself and as long as no one is aware I'm usually going to have a few top offs. Same for a professional ballgame, concert with a crowd that isn't full of stoners or a bar for that matter. Maybe not in my seat, but probably not in a bathroom or other more tightly confined area. I'm also not talking about sitting there for a session or blowing huge clouds, just a couple of light top offs - maybe 5 over the course of an hour and a half or more.

I usually don't say anything when I smell it either, unless it is one of my friends hitting on their vape oil pen and think no one can notice (or occasionally someone I don't know as a friendly warning). All too frequent IMO, so I get what you're saying.

Don't think anyone is suggesting you do it. I'm sure not doing so. I'm only saying that with patience, care and practice you can pull it off without anyone being the wiser. But, kind of take offense to your comments of certainty that others do smell it in the face of my post about testing it out above. Don't know how you could claim or be that certain of it without sitting next to me (or any one of the thousands with good MFLB skills) in a theater or anywhere else.

IMO, your greatest risk of detection in these situations is when you talk to someone and they smell it on your breath. Nothing a couple mints or piece of gum isn't going to take care of quickly and easily, but I notice it on people's breath all the time. Just had a waitress a couple weeks ago who had definitely vaped somewhere between bringing our food and coming back to check on us. She asked if all was OK, and two words in I smelled it from 2-3 feet away. I just chuckled to myself because I don't think the people I was with use any MJ, and would rather they don't know I do. So, don't know if they noticed it or not.

Don't know what theaters are like in other areas, but most of the ones I go to these days have very high backed seats and a couple levels of them. I like to sit in the middle of the upper level and am pretty sure someone would have to sit up and look over the back of my seat to even see if I was wearing a hat. Not too hard to keep it discrete as long as you make sure someone isn't walking up the steps facing you or behind and standing looking down at you.

There is definitely a risk of getting caught, or others around you smelling it if you're not careful. But, not really that hard to hide. Too many suppositions flying around here these days in the face of facts, IMO. @syrupy , please try it at home and see for yourself before you call me or others out as you did above. Thanks!

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Because they've tested it several times with people who still smoke/vape weed and those who don't but who definitely know what the smell is. You want to find someone who can smell cigarette smoke? Find yourself a former smoker. Have found pretty much the same with former or occasional weed smokers and know they can smell vapor, but didn't smell this even when asked to be on the lookout for it. I've also been un-vaped and sat next to someone who was doing this but didn't smell a thing, even tho I was watching and trying to smell it. I had eaten some edibles, but IME this usually makes it easier to smell weed in any form.

Smokers and vapers aren't the best people to tell as far as smell goes. People who have allergies to airborne particles are better. They can smell it for sure, before I even get a whiff.
Don't absolutely have to vape in a theater, or anywhere - including home for that matter.
Including home? Would you live in a non-medical state by any chance? Most patients I know have to at home. Out in public is a different manner.
But with the quality of most movies and what they charge for tickets and concessions, I'm out to enjoy myself and as long as no one is aware I'm usually going to have a few top offs. Same for a professional ballgame, concert with a crowd that isn't full of stoners or a bar for that matter.

Bingo! This is just the kind of entitled viewpoint that I have an issue with. Because movies are expensive, we can do whatever we want? It's great you want to enjoy yourself, but there are plenty of people around who don't enjoy vapor or smoke, besides the smell. I have a friend with sensitivity to particulate matter, and to think she'd have to leave a movie because someone was "treating themselves" in the theater is pretty sad IMO. But I'm a geezer I guess.

Don't think anyone is suggesting you do it. I'm sure not doing so. I'm only saying that with patience, care and practice you can pull it off without anyone being the wiser. But, kind of take offense to your comments of certainty that others do smell it in the face of my post about testing it out above. Don't know how you could claim or be that certain of it without sitting next to me (or any one of the thousands with good MFLB skills) in a theater or anywhere else.

Isn't this thread all about HOW to dot it? That sounds suggestive to me. Sorry you took my comment that way, but I have tested it, and it's not a sure thing by any means. If it works, it requires a lot of technique, and with some strains it won't work at all. The problem I have is because no one has mentioned it to you (and we both admit we don't really bring it up when we see it), there's an assumption that people can't tell that I don't see a basis for. Anyway, sorry for your person offense.
Don't know what theaters are like in other areas, but most of the ones I go to these days have very high backed seats and a couple levels of them. I like to sit in the middle of the upper level and am pretty sure someone would have to sit up and look over the back of my seat to even see if I was wearing a hat. Not too hard to keep it discrete as long as you make sure someone isn't walking up the steps facing you or behind and standing looking down at you.
I'm glad your theater arrangements support this The ones here really don't, but again my point is nobody can know for sure if it's safe in any situation.
There is definitely a risk of getting caught, or others around you smelling it if you're not careful. But, not really that hard to hide. Too many suppositions flying around here these days in the face of facts, IMO. @syrupy , please try it at home and see for yourself before you call me or others out as you did above. Thanks!

Just to clarify, I really don't care if you vape in a theater or not. It doesn't bother me at all unless I'm with that friend I mentioned. When it bothers me is when I read in the media about people calling attention to themselves by pushing to limit on what they can get away with in public, when there's no actual need for it. A lot of states here are trying to go medical, and trying to go legal. The impression some of the behavior described in this thread does nothing to help the cause. To each, their own. If you re-read the thread, I'm hardly the only one who called it rude and careless.

You didn't mention if you were in a legal state or are a med patient, so I can't call anything you do out. Someone in a non-legal state, why chance anything in a public theater? In a legal or medical situation, it just sounds rude to me. Sorry but I can't justify it.

Glad we could discuss it. At least FCers probably have the expertise to get away with it. And as you mentioned former smokers being sensitive, it's probably because I pulled stunts like this when younger is why I'm against it now. You know, like the stoner parents who forbid their kids to try weed. :myday: Maybe nobody gives a crap about cannabis in public anymore, I don't know.

Edit: The quote function hates me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom