VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

yogie

Hi Team Pipes, just got my Brute and trying to understand how to use the spacers.

Based on the video posted way back and previous posts, I think the sequence goes like this:
  1. Remove heat shield with tweezers or needle nose pliers
  2. Put in the red friction pad provided
  3. Put in a wood spacer (or as many as you like)
  4. Put back the original heatshield
Is that correct?

Or am I over thinking it and all you have to is just add the wood spacers without removing the pre-installed heat shield?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Additional spacers should go under the original setup.

From my FAQ:

What is the packet of discs that comes with the unit?

The wooden disc is the “heatshield” which can double as a spacer and the heat-resistant rubber cushion is a “friction pad” which is attached to the underside of the heatshield to keep it from falling out of the tube if inverted. The pad is affixed offset to the disc so some protrudes along the side. This protrusion acts as a kind of hinge by pressing against the tube pushing the wooden disc against the tube on the opposite side. The pressure is adjustable by increasing/decreasing the offset by peeling away the pad and reseating it.
To use a wooden disc as a spacer, it should be installed under the heatshield/cushion pad combo so it resides closest to the actual switch.
To remove the heatshield from the tube, you need tweezers. Push down on the side of the wooden disc closest to the glass tube. The disc should flip up enough to be able to grab with the tweezers and remove. To re-install, push down evenly with a VC cap.

Also, I recommend trying it with the extra spacer just on top to confirm you want/need it. Saves having to remove it twice if you liked it better with the original setup.

Bleezy

Burn without Fire
Hi! The heat pads fell out of my Brute without my noticing... And now it will not fire.

Can you help me with this?

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
@Pipes. I’m tempted to up date my HS. I love my PSM still and my HS but my battery on my HS has started to wane. Can you update us on where to get replacement batteries for the HS? It appears the old Hobby Loby is out and my internet searches aren’t turning up the exact specs on that battery.

The Stray Fox,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
@Pipes. I’m tempted to up date my HS. I love my PSM still and my HS but my battery on my HS has started to wane. Can you update us on where to get replacement batteries for the HS? It appears the old Hobby Loby is out and my internet searches aren’t turning up the exact specs on that battery.
Hobby King must have just run out again as they had stock a week or so ago. You can add yourself to the notification list when they get stock again. Also, you do not have to worry about the load plug type as the HS just uses the 4-pin charging plug with the 2-pin left hanging. This should make it easier to source.
RC Battery for PSMini and HS or GetFPV or RCBattery or Banggood

Pcloudy

Additional spacers should go under the original setup.

From my FAQ:

What is the packet of discs that comes with the unit?

The wooden disc is the “heatshield” which can double as a spacer and the heat-resistant rubber cushion is a “friction pad” which is attached to the underside of the heatshield to keep it from falling out of the tube if inverted. The pad is affixed offset to the disc so some protrudes along the side. This protrusion acts as a kind of hinge by pressing against the tube pushing the wooden disc against the tube on the opposite side. The pressure is adjustable by increasing/decreasing the offset by peeling away the pad and reseating it.
To use a wooden disc as a spacer, it should be installed under the heatshield/cushion pad combo so it resides closest to the actual switch.
To remove the heatshield from the tube, you need tweezers. Push down on the side of the wooden disc closest to the glass tube. The disc should flip up enough to be able to grab with the tweezers and remove. To re-install, push down evenly with a VC cap.

Also, I recommend trying it with the extra spacer just on top to confirm you want/need it. Saves having to remove it twice if you liked it better with the original setup.
Im a little confused, I have been running mine with the wood closet to the button and the rubber where my cap presses on it. Should the order be reversed? Does adding a spacer make it click faster since it brings the tip of the cap closer to the center?

Pcloudy,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Im a little confused, I have been running mine with the wood closet to the button and the rubber where my cap presses on it. Should the order be reversed? Does adding a spacer make it click faster since it brings the tip of the cap closer to the center?
Yes, it should be the other way around. Isn't the rubber burnt?
Adding a spacer turns down the power as less metal in the heating zone. Changes the heating profile.
EDIT: Also, the previous method for heat shield was ba dense hard high heat rubber, so you might have a unit in that era. :hmm:

Last edited:
Pipes,

Pcloudy

Yes, it should be the other way around. Isn't the rubber burnt?
Adding a spacer turns down the power as less metal in the heating zone. Changes the heating profile.
EDIT: Also, the previous method for heat shield was ba dense hard high heat rubber, so you might have a unit in that era. :hmm:
Dynavaps arent my daily driver but Ive still put a couple hundred heat cycles through it with no melting. I will say there was a while where I didnt have anything there and luckily didnt melt the button, I did put a little dent into my cap though. Ill need to dig through my goodie bag and see if I can find the other spacers so I can add one and give it a whirl.

Pcloudy,
Reactions: Pipes

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Dynavaps arent my daily driver but Ive still put a couple hundred heat cycles through it with no melting. I will say there was a while where I didnt have anything there and luckily didnt melt the button, I did put a little dent into my cap though. Ill need to dig through my goodie bag and see if I can find the other spacers so I can add one and give it a whirl.
I think you are fine as you must have the hard one. You would have noticed as the mushy pad would have noticed and would make a mess on your cap. ;)

Pipes,

NYKnicks212

I've never once cleaned my Hotshots.

I've been a VERY happy owner of two Hotshots and have used them daily since the summer of 2021. I love this thing so much but it is showing it's age a little bit. Probably related but I've been heating well past the click recently which has resulted in some badly gunked up dynavap caps. I'm afraid that it has caused the inside of my hotshot to develop some gunk as well. Nothing too crazy, but there's residue on the glass. The wooden disc is charred and looks like a hockey puck. I deep cleaned my caps but the residue that's built up on the glass and disc now transfers back onto my cap, causing it to get gunky all over again.

So how do I clean my hotshot? Should I replace the disc? How do I replace the disc? I took a glob mop, dabbed it in some 99% iso, and swabbed the glass while holding the device upside down. Do I need to do more? Does that glass come out?

After so much time, should I consider replacing the batteries? Are the batteries replaceable?

I'm not a handy person. Not even a little bit.

Anyway this thing rocks.

NYKnicks212,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I've never once cleaned my Hotshots.

I've been a VERY happy owner of two Hotshots and have used them daily since the summer of 2021. I love this thing so much but it is showing it's age a little bit. Probably related but I've been heating well past the click recently which has resulted in some badly gunked up dynavap caps. I'm afraid that it has caused the inside of my hotshot to develop some gunk as well. Nothing too crazy, but there's residue on the glass. The wooden disc is charred and looks like a hockey puck. I deep cleaned my caps but the residue that's built up on the glass and disc now transfers back onto my cap, causing it to get gunky all over again.

So how do I clean my hotshot? Should I replace the disc? How do I replace the disc? I took a glob mop, dabbed it in some 99% iso, and swabbed the glass while holding the device upside down. Do I need to do more? Does that glass come out?

After so much time, should I consider replacing the batteries? Are the batteries replaceable?

I'm not a handy person. Not even a little bit.

Anyway this thing rocks.
Hi there. Sounds like you have the right idea in using ISO and qtips to clean the glass. The charred bottom should not cause any problem but you can replace it. If still clicking fine, you should not need to clean under the wooden disc. You should have a couple of spare discs but if lost, a slice from 1/2" dowel will suffice.
I love hearing about units that are holding up well. :nod: Thanks for the update.
As for the battery, they do last a long time and are available as reported here.
Hobby King just got stock of replacement batteries for Brute and Hotshot and are now available.

chimpybits

Hobby King must have just run out again as they had stock a week or so ago. You can add yourself to the notification list when they get stock again. Also, you do not have to worry about the load plug type as the HS just uses the 4-pin charging plug with the 2-pin left hanging. This should make it easier to source.
RC Battery for PSMini and HS or GetFPV or RCBattery or Banggood
@Pipes any Canadian options?

chimpybits,

coolbreeze

They've dropped the price on the M+ to $75, permanently the email said:

coolbreeze,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Hobby King was a bit of a pain. I tried checking out with PayPal and they held my order because something didn't match up. PayPal was charged but the order was put on hold. And, of course, there is no one to contact. I worked with CS, such as it is, and it took over a week to cancel the order and refund PayPal.

Just a heads-up.

Our Brute and HotShot are still working wonders. Thanks @Pipes !

TommyDee,
  • Love
Top Bottom