Using oil rig for combustion? Bad Idea?

Squeeky

Ok guys I'm looking for a second opinion. A local friend who got me interested in concentrates swears by keeping his glass separate. He states that running combustion in a oil rig can leave impurities/residue that can hurt the flavor and overall oil experience.

Is there any truth to this, and if there is would connecting to a vape be that same? I'm would assume not since vaping have so combustion. Just wanted someone elses opinion.

I've got a budget for some new glass, but also looking to get into concentrates, should I be looking into one really nice piece of glass of 2x decent one.

Keep in mind I would be removing the nail and dome and replacing with slide and likely cleaning H2O used between sessions.

Squeeky,

Squeeky

Am I correct that running a vape through the oil rig would not be a probelm, only combustion

Squeeky,

lookmomnohands

I'd rather keep the two separate for less hassle, but if you're on a slight budget and can only buy one piece of glass, i'd say it's okay to use it for all three (oil, combustion, and vaporizing) as long as it's cleaned thoroughly before using it for any of those. And I don't just mean changing h2o. I mean thoroughly cleaning it with iso/salt, grunge off, or whatever you use to make glass sparkly and new. I wouldn't combust, or even vaporize through a piece that's already been dabbed through tho. While taste is an issue here (more so w/ combusting imo) i think the bigger issue is a cosmetic one. I'd be worried about particulates getting "glued" to my piece since it's already sticky from the oil. Believe me, they're really hard to get off. More salt and shaking then I'd like to do.

Also, even if I was still smoking flowers, I would never combust through an "actual" oil rig. Assuming we're talking about "real" rigs made for oil, which are usually fairly small in size (as opposed to big full size tubes that people throw nails/domes on), I would say the lack of filtration/diffusion found in those little guys would be rather harsh and unpleasant for combusting. Do keep filtration/diffusion in mind when you go glass hunting.

Squeeky

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like it will be two separate pieces of glass.

Squeeky,

hellbent

i was just about to make a thread about this the other day because i just bought a carbon filter. I dont have a bong for combustion at the moment, so i was wondering if smoking with a carbon filter would still impart a taste of smoke. I have never had one before my self but from what ive heard about them, it seems like it would be alright. If the tar is filtered out, wouldnt that make it somewhat similar to a vape hit? I dont want to go and ruin my dab peice if i dont have to, so i havent tried it yet. I would wash with iso/salt after i combusted anyways, so would it really have that much effect?

hellbent,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Yes, even with a carbon filter, your glassware is gonna smell like smoke and ash.
A carbon filter will make the piece stay cleaner while combusting, but the smell is still gonna be there after the very 1st bowl.

Vaping through a piece that's been combusted through and not thoroughly cleaned (as lookmomnohands said, basically cleaned to "as new" condition) is horrible. The vapor tastes dirty, stale, ashy, just bad.
(Though I say the same thing about combustion in general now, so take of that what you will...)

Vaping through a piece that has had some oils go through it without a proper cleaning is meh...
The vapor will have a bit of a "stale oil smell" taste to it, but its more just a little off putting at the beginning of the hit until you start getting vapor, vs a dirty combustion piece where the whole hit has that horrible taint of combustion to it.

It also takes more of a cleaning to get rid of that combustion smell/remnants compared to dabbing/vaping IME.

:2c:

Frederick McGuire,

Tamataz

Icelander
There is no reason not too! As long as you keep it nice and clean. I have an oil rig that i use for all 3 methods of gettin' high, dabs, vapes, herbs.

Yes i have to clean my piece ALL the time! But it is very easy, just microwave some rubbing alcohol so that its hot, and it works like a charm. Hot/boiling 91% iso is deadly to resin.

Literally, all i do i pour like 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol in a glass
>Microwave for 30 seconds
>Shake around in piece for 30 seconds
>Rinse with warm water (and dish-soap if I'm feeling fancy)
>Done

Takes me 1-3 minutes to prepare my piece for optimal herb applications.

And to the person saying that oil rigs would be harsh for combustion because they are smaller/less percolation is completely wrong. It makes a huge difference. Are you saying you would rather smoke out of a dry chillum?

Piece im referring to - http://i.imgur.com/bQrMKJL.jpg?1

Tamataz,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Microwaving ISO doesn't seem safe ... is it just me? (I've thought about doing this before as I would imagine hot ISO would work well for cleaning, however, the potential danger has always put me off from doing so ...)

JCat,

Tamataz

Icelander
Hmm you're right that thought has never occurred to me. I'm going to look into it. Ive been doing it forever tho, i guess i live on the edge! :p As long as you are smart about it and be careful to not boil it. (Ive had it boil and be fine) There are however ways of heating it safely.

z9

I vape and dab from the same piece. Vaping leaves darker resin than dabbing and the taste they leave is different, but I don't think it affects the taste of the hit. I empty my water and shake it dry immediately after each session, it helps with any flavor. Vaping through a combustion piece is nasty, I couldn't do it without cleaning the glass first. Even after a thorough cleaning with salt and iso combustion glass can still have an odor.

And I wouldn't microwave iso... I could see that ending badly for some

z9,
Reactions: smokum

Bouldorado

I microwave ISO whenever I have a need to heat it; just use short time increments to avoid it boiling over.

Bouldorado,
Reactions: Tamataz

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
:o
The thought of microwaving flammable liquids skeeves me out hardcore.

I usually just pour in my room temp iso, and swish around a bit.

Or if I'm feeling lazy PBW.

If anyone could explain the physics of how microwaving iso/alcohol is safe, it'd be appreciated...
Otherwise I'm gonna be sittin here worried one of you guys is gonna accidentally blow up your kitchen :\

Uh... I can't find a thought in my brain to say this is ok (that doesn't mean much). Likewise I can't find a website that hints that this could be a good idea... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say don't heat ISO in the microwave.

mrboote,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Why anyone would expose ISO to a non-sealed fan motor in a confined space unnecessarily is beyond me. Russian Roulette ? It's the same reason one shouldn't use the exhaust hood fan. ISO is fine in liquid state, but warm it and it will create a vapor (fumes) which 'can' lead to ignition if the stars align.

Same reason when purging that its recommended you can place a fan 'behind' the purge dish blowing over it to an open window.... not through the fan. Electric motors have contact brushes.... they spark.... kaboom.

Play safe please..... we have enough BAD/FALSE NEWS reported out there about our 'community' that the media and govt feed on.

Top Bottom