USB-C obsession

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I hear a lot of people complaining ,vape X doesnt have USB-C. Well most vapes having usb C still charge at 5v 2amps top... ,so other than being able to use the same cable for different devices ,why is it so cool to have it? What i am missing ,how is it superior if the charging current is the same ?
Is there any vaporizer at all that supports USB-C quick charging or pass-through power ?(not charging while in use)
What would be the effect of charging a 18650 for example at 5-10 amps ,i image only more fire hazard.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I suspect it is because of USB C fast charging. USB-C can power devices at up to 100 W. There is also an increase in data transfer but I doubt most vapes need that. :-) I also think people like limiting the cables they have to manage.

For me, I want replaceable standard batteries that I can charge outside the device. Pass through charging is a nice work-around but it significantly reduces the life of the battery to charge it under load (for our purposes).

The USB-C spec is a damn mess, especially around charging but that's probably not worth getting into here. :-)

Abysmal Vapor

The Mighty+ does USB quick charging.
Yes it does,but it has 2 built in batteries, i bet it charges each at 2amps... 4 in total. I bet we wont see it on the Crafty ever.
Would any vape manufacturer let people charge a single cell inside the vape at more than 2 amps ?
My old laptop has 6x18650 (probably) in its battery case, i see why it can be beneficial there,but since people are trying to make shit smaller,i dont see that becoming a thing.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

badbee

i bet it charges each at 2amps... 4 in total.
I'll take that bet :) I'm pretty sure those cells are in series (so take the same current).

Edit: I agree with you. I read electronics hobby sites and people are often asking about USB-C for projects where it makes no sense at all. I've heard people talk about buying a Mighty+ but not wanting to spend money on the PD charger, without that you are much better off with the older Mighty. At the end of the day USB-C is just a plug shape with a bunch of optional behaviors. You are right that most devices (not vapes, other things) that advertise as supporting USB-C don't support PD charging.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

I'll take that bet :) I'm pretty sure those cells are in series (so take the same current).
:)You win.( Here are the specs of the mighty quick charger. Found info that it charges at 12 V and looking at the charger it delivers 3a at that voltage.
""mains operation of the MIGHTY+ when the battery is empty"",so it has a real pass through then, thats vape number 2 :D I remember people complaining on some battery thermal fuse getting blown,hopefully that talk concerns older models that doesnt have the QC option.

1641349415985.png

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: endof3d

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well guess we will be waiting for someone to make a vaporizer that has USB-C quick charging ,until then the only convenience is to use the save on cables.
Pass through charging is shit i agree, the only vaporizer i know that has real pass through is the Solo.

Haha yeah, I wondered the same thing, excited to see a vape use USB-C, but my vapes that have it charge slower than any others it seems lol nicer plug at least?

Also Solo only has pass through charging if you buy that special AC adapter, otherwise it is only use while charging, which is unfortunately far more common... However Solo is not the only one, Grasshopper has maxvaporPA and Lamart has Tetra AC adapter for examples... Just sayin!

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I’ll say one quick thing, the actual CABLE itself and more specifically how it’s built is something many don’t factor. Regardless, of USB-C or the older USB-Mini/micro plug, depending on the actual size of the tiny power cables inside the cord, the charge rate can and will be limited, and data rates are effected as well, when used with those devices. You see many posts where folks are having some kind of charging issue, and look at the device, and the charger, but seldom consider the CABLE being a huge, potential culprit. And if you swap one under built cable for similar, you have the same bad results. I spend a fair amount of time researching the cable specs before buying, I end up with mostly well known brands, the really cheap Chinese stuff, I AVOID, I’ve cut them open, some a few strands of copper, maybe....

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
The fast charging is nice and probably the biggest feature most would encounter once more vapes support it.

I kind of see the implementation of USB-C to be some tech modernizing and others being dragged along with it. USB-C is pretty standard on phones and since I'd rather not carry two cords but have to bring my phone, It'd be nice to have my vape in USB-C. I've seen some people backpacking go to some lengths to standardize their charging connections.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Shit Snacks Thanks for pointing that out . You are definetly right. Maybe i am just confused into what really pass through power is.

Haha yeah, true pass through literally bypasses the battery, so you are running it like a plug-in desktop unit essentially. Anything else is just using it while charging, which many do support, but it often wears the battery down further and offers little practical benefit in my experience at least!

It is 4:40 am here and i cannot sleep cause i just got diagnosed with the C-shit and bug my mind with stupid thoughts :D.. Off to bed it is . :))

Dude that fucking sucks, I'm so sorry to hear that, wish I could say more or actually help, but thinking of you positively!

Oh yeah Haze Square had a USBC that actually charged pretty quick I remember at least lol but I think all the others I've tried have charged super slow for some reason (Aero and Edge spring to mind)

Abysmal Vapor

Dude that fucking sucks, I'm so sorry to hear that, wish I could say more or actually help, but thinking of you positively!
Thank you ,dude ! Much appreciated ! I dont worry too much about it , cause i know i am a tough cookie,that survived worse :)).

At least it is not the latest gimmick called Flurona,lol...(it is having flu and c-bug at the same time),looool.

gangababa

Pass through charging is shit i agree, the only vaporizer i know that has real pass through is the Solo.

There is printing on the bottom of my second original Solo by the charger connection.
It says "DC12 V Charging" and "DC9 V Heating".
I have a variable voltage charger (with multiple plug fittings) that I set to 9 volts and use for pass through charging.
Similar to the below.
It does not have a USB C fitting, but the charger does have a 5V 2 A USB cable outlet.
51lTMZoBMOL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

gangababa,

florduh

To me, the advantage of USB-C is that I don't have to play the little flip the connector over twice to make sure it will go in game. I figure USB-C saves me 1-2 seconds over USB-A every time I plug the device in. This adds up to a full day or two over the course of a lifetime.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Yes, connector reversibility is a big appeal. And the receptacle is somewhat sturdier. USB micro and mini receptacles are notoriously weak and a common failure point when you rip them apart from the PCB. That and the wear of the micro receptacles over time leading to dicky connections where you have to jiggle your cable to make it charge properly...

The USB type B connector is still the most robust of the lot but it takes too much space for portable gadgets.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I hear a lot of people complaining ,vape X doesnt have USB-C. Well most vapes having usb C still charge at 5v 2amps top... ,so other than being able to use the same cable for different devices ,why is it so cool to have it? What i am missing ,how is it superior if the charging current is the same ?
Is there any vaporizer at all that supports USB-C quick charging or pass-through power ?(not charging while in use)
What would be the effect of charging a 18650 for example at 5-10 amps ,i image only more fire hazard.
Faster charging and 1 charger for all devices. My phone, my headphones, and my vape all use the same charger. Not having 3 different cables laying around is pretty nice. Not to mention the durability of USB-C is far superior to micro USB. Also micro USB sucks to plug in.

Edit: And last but definitely not least - probably the most important part to me - is if you're ever out and about and your vape has a USB-C port there's a 99% chance you will be able to find someone with a charger you can use. If it's micro usb or barrel plug good luck with that.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Good on the EU for bringing in a USB-c standard...made the assholes at Apple get their knickers in a knot!
I agree with @FlyingLow just placing my Puffco Peak Pro on the wireless phone charger is great even if it is slower and wastes some power in heat...I likey!

lookhigh

FC member
Most important for me is the fit iether way of usb c. Nearly blow my top trying to get the little ones plugged in. Loving the wirreless chargers but they are a bit slow and do not work on my headphones.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Perhaps it’s my microcosm but I don’t find USB C to be that popular outside of people who use android phones.

The most popular vaporizer platform in the world (prefilled cartridges /510 batteries) still mostly uses micro USB.

Kind of surprised to see so many comments on being easier to plug in, IMHO it’s a nice gesture but essentially a non-issue to me. FWIW I still use Apple 30 pin cords.... what can I say I tend to not like upgrading stuff until it legitimately fails and I’ve still got rock solid legacy gear.

Only major interest I have in USBC is running a desktop off a USB port, that would be sweet. A portable device with legitimate pass through for integrated desktop and cordless designations would be awesome. A lot of companies have tried to sell on this idea but never really “nailed it.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom