USB-C obsession

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
I mainly like USB-C because you can charge off of any USB port including power banks.

My FTV induction heater will charge off my 10,000mA power bank when say.... I'm vaping in a coffeeshop in Amsterdam, or just about anywhere vaping is allowed without needing a wall socket for a long time.

My induction heater also seems to work while plugged in and charging via USB-C but I'm sure it's not true pass through. I think the internals cut off the charging when the IR activates and then it resumes charging when it's not heating. This still seems to work well when the battery dies.

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I'll really out myself as a weird and say I prefer micro usb, it feels more secure and I have actually had less issues with the port getting dirty then my USB-C, that being said the world will continue to turn and I guess I must turn with it :myday:

ScyOne

You guys know me, but I think my account hacks cause I can't access. Micro USB sucks.

Eventually it will wear depending on how you you use it. Micro USB wear is a major issue. It will actually wear faster than anything else on the device.

USB0 - C is design to last a lot longer, but we will seee.

hinglemccringleberry

Like others have said I just prefer the easy plug-in.
Micro USB and regular USB connectors always give you a 100% chance of putting it in the wrong way if you try to plug it in real fast without looking closely (in dimly lit rooms etc).
It's supposed to be a 50/50 chance, yet somehow you get it wrong EVERY. SINGLE. DAMM. TIME.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
c6tq08ytgw761.png

pop22

The only devices I have left that still use micro-usb are vapes, the rest of the electronics world has moved on. Even my IH is USB-C, my cellphone, my laptop charger etc. I'd love to trash all my Micro USB cables, they have always been trash. Most vapes usb ports are junk, and I find it funny that more often than not, cheapy cables work better with vapes than quality cables do.... it's why all my vapes except my Solo II are removable battery devices, I charge a supply of batteries and swap them out as needed. I don't see those problem with USB-C devices.

ScyOne

My first experience with how disappointing Micro USB was was with these Logitech headsets for gaming that they design to be wireless, but you can recharge while using. They never mentioned it was actually a bad idea to use while charging.

They kept failing on me in a few month cause I didn't realize micro USB is not really that durable. Went with the wired version after that.

With USB-C passthrough should actually be a lot better, but I don't have experience with that yet so.......

floribud

Yes it does,but it has 2 built in batteries, i bet it charges each at 2amps... 4 in total. I bet we wont see it on the Crafty ever.
Would any vape manufacturer let people charge a single cell inside the vape at more than 2 amps ?
My old laptop has 6x18650 (probably) in its battery case, i see why it can be beneficial there,but since people are trying to make shit smaller,i dont see that becoming a thing.
The Mighty+ charges at:
MY_My_Comparison-EN_1.jpg

The MIGHTY+ has a USB-C charging port with improved charging function. This allows the MIGHTY+ to be charged with 45 watts. The completely redesigned circuit board allows for significantly increased performance. The new charging function helps the MIGHTY+ to charge its battery to 80% in approx. 40 minutes (+15V@3A).
--https://www.storz-bickel.com/en-us/support/mighty-plus

I can confirm the Mighty+ will charge completely in 40minutes with the power supply from any Macbook. The micro-usb connector is limited to 5v at 2.1 amp, I think ...

checkyourlibido

The only devices I have left that still use micro-usb are vapes, the rest of the electronics world has moved on. Even my IH is USB-C, my cellphone, my laptop charger etc. I'd love to trash all my Micro USB cables, they have always been trash. Most vapes usb ports are junk, and I find it funny that more often than not, cheapy cables work better with vapes than quality cables do.... it's why all my vapes except my Solo II are removable battery devices, I charge a supply of batteries and swap them out as needed. I don't see those problem with USB-C devices.
I would honestly prefer no on-board charging if it's not USB-C. I can just get an external battery charger. It's a waste of space on a port that has a decent likelihood of failing.

pop22

I would honestly prefer no on-board charging if it's not USB-C. I can just get an external battery charger. It's a waste of space on a port that has a decent likelihood of failing.
I use a 4 bay charger and charge all my 18650 batteries that way 95% of the time. I reserve the USB for travel needs only. I also have 10 spare batteries for 4 vapes and I rotate them as I charge them. I have 4 LG H2 that are 5 years old and still hold about 90% charge. I also try to not discharge them more than 50%.

was going to post an image but it is too much of a PIA.......

ScyOne

If the mighty+ has 45w charging power it means it's charging each battery at over 5a per battery. 4.2v @ 5a = 21w per battery, 2 batteries = 42w.

Also, with UBS-C you can use passthrough and run it forever as your source provides, which is a major step-up.

I would never run a Micro USB vape passthrough for reasons I described above and I want USB-C passthrough cause 12v DC passthrough sucks.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
If the mighty+ has 45w charging power it means it's charging each battery at over 5a per battery. 4.2v @ 5a = 21w per battery, 2 batteries = 42w.

Also, with UBS-C you can use passthrough and run it forever as your source provides, which is a major step-up.

I would never run a Micro USB vape passthrough for reasons I described above and I want USB-C passthrough cause 12v DC passthrough sucks.
Look at first page,there is pic of the charger,. Both cells are wired in series and it charges them at 9v 3a .

ScyOne

IDK anything about that, but lithium's you can't charge over 4.2v. So I'm guessing 9v 3a means 2 lithium's with 4.2v @ 3a each.

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

IDK anything about that, but lithium's you can't charge over 4.2v. So I'm guessing 9v 3a means 2 lithium's with 4.2v @ 3a each.
Well i am not expert electrician either. But i think it is 4.2v and 3 amps each.It just splits the voltage, amps stay the same.
""""
Yeah, when you parallel 2 batteries say, the volts stays the same, so you aggregate the amp/hour capacity together (as a bigger bucket), and thus the charging amperage requirement would double (if you still desire the same charging rate to full SOC), otherwise it will take twice as long to fill the batteries with the original amperage, as you are filling 2 buckets instead of one (with the same voltage).

In contrast, when you series 2 batteries, now the voltage doubles instead (voltage aggregates, amp/hour stays the same), so you need a charger that can double the volts, but can use same amperage as you were using before, and the buckets can fill at the same speed with same amps, because the voltage doubled.""""

""

ScyOne

I looked at the charger you posted just now.

It's a variable voltage USB-C charger that varies the voltage based on your hardware source limit, like most USB-C chargers are.

At max it will deliver 45w though. Some sources can't handle 45w though so USB-C is designed to scale down the power if your source will not be able to handle 45w

And It would have to to charge the Might+ in 40mins.

For 45w charging with 2 lithium's you have to deliver 5a to each battery, their is no way around it.

Edit: just wanted to add, to charge a 3000mAh battery at 3a would equal 1 full hour, To recharge that battery @ 40mins would equal over 5a. So IDK what point your trying to make.

Last edited:
ScyOne,

Abysmal Vapor

For 45w charging with 2 lithium's you have to deliver 5a to each battery, their is no way around it.
Are you sure it doesn make difference if they are in series or parallel , i dont have time to read now on the subject. A quick google says you need to up only voltage when in series,maybe the reason is that capacity doesnt stacks.
For example if you connect two batteries is series is like having 8.4v battery with the same capacity.

Abysmal Vapor,

ScyOne

You're trying to hard and I need to get back to gaming.

I'm talking about watts delivered to each battery.

To deliver 22w to a battery you HAVE TO SEND IT 4.2v @ 5a

You can't send less watts to each battery if you have batteries wired differently

ScyOne,

Abysmal Vapor

You're trying to hard and I need to get back to gaming.

I'm talking about watts delivered to each battery.

To deliver 22w to a battery you HAVE TO SEND IT 4.2v @ 5a
Well i suggest doing research when you have time and link me to a source that confirms your saying, i am reading else online. Not saying you are not right ,i just need proof ,cause the info online says otherwise.

Abysmal Vapor,

ScyOne

OK look, the mighty charges @ 45w, split between 2 batteries. For it to charge @45w you have to send 22.5w to each battery, to do that you have to charge each battery @ 5a

I don't need to do research, I have already researched this enough.

You need to do research before playing.

Edit: ok if you look here https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/e-bikes-are-awesome-😎.49797/post-1480770

I am well versed in batteries. I will use this as an example. My charger for this build uses 360w, And I have 135 batteries. so it charges each battery at 2.5w and takes 7 hours from my first calculation.

For it to charge my e-bike battery to full in 40mins it would have to send 40w to each battery.

Last edited:
ScyOne,

Abysmal Vapor

OK look, the mighty charges @ 45w, split between 2 batteries. For it to charge @45w you have to send 22.5w to each battery, to do that you have to charge each battery @ 5a

I don't need to do research, I have already researched this enough.

You need to do research before playing.
Who told you it charges at 45w ? It charges at 9v 3amps so that is 27w in total, so that is 13.5w each. If it is 8.4v at 3 amps it is 25.2w = 12,6w each..
= 4,2v * 3amps.
No need to get pissed, please lead me to your source so i can educate myself

Are your bike batteries wired in series or in paralel?

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

ScyOne

Who told you it charges at 45w
It's quoted on the official manufacturing webpage

"This allows the MIGHTY+ to be charged with 45 watts."

Plus for it to recharge that fast it has to charge at 45w

It's just annoying having to explain something that is EZ

Edit: that charger you linked is variable wattage BTW (if you look closely it can also output 20v 2.25a)

Also It does not matter how it's wired, it does not take less time to charge if I wire it different.

Last edited:
ScyOne,
Top Bottom