• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

diseaze

Hello FC members! I'm usually a lurker in most online communities, but I felt compelled to share my own experience with the Underdog mom-and-pop team. I'm the type of person that does countless hours of research before investing in anything (aka a picky customer), but @underdogette and @underdog have been very attentive the past couple weeks with talking through all my options and the whole experience definitely exceeded all my expectations!

I was in the market for a new vape since I've been using my FM mini mostly at home and considered a desktop vape for the convenience and new vapor experience. My options came down to the UD, E-Nano, and the Arizer Air, but something about the informative discussions in this thread, the customer service, and the uniqueness factor of having a custom UD drew me to eventually deciding on the joining the UD club! Of course VAS doesn't help, but after a wonderful day of using my new pup, I don't think I'll need a new vape any time soon (another pup doesn't count, right? :brow:).

There was a little mishap in what type of wood my chosen pup was, but, long story short, it was Ziricote instead of what was originally thought of as Black Walnut. Here's some pictures:
9czu4uc.jpg

gxfFKcc.jpg

Since I had already paid by then, they honored the original price. I recently found out that it was an exotic wood so I really appreciate @underdogette and @underdog for that and just overall legendary customer service!

Just to echo some of the things that have already been said here:
- The vapor quality difference from the FM Mini and UD is unbelievable! I know it's not fair to compare the two since the FM Mini is more of an entry-level/portable vape, but that's the only other vape I've tried.
- The efficiency really is one of the best things about this vape. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think my FM Mini takes about .5g-.8g and I can get a about 2-3 5min sessions out of one bowl. That can also be a problem though because I'm at a point where I need that many sessions to feel some relief. The UD takes a fraction of that and with only 1-2 draws, I am good for hours on end. I think I only had 4 draws all of yesterday, whereas I would have needed about 5-6 full sessions with my FM Mini.

I don't remember who posted it or which thread I read it in, but if you're stuck choosing between vapes, just read over some of the discussions in this community and make your decision on which you vibe with the most. I don't think I could have gone wrong with the E-Nano or the AA, but like I said before, the feeling I got from reading through this thread helped me make my decision to one of the best purchases I've had ever!

This post is longer than it should have been, but again, thank you @underdog, @underdogette, and all the FC community!

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Hey UDs!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we've been using PHP mail on our website, and recently our emails have been getting flagged as spam because of it. Especially if you're using Gmail.

We're in the process of trying to switch over to SMTP to help solve the issue, but until then, I just wanted to ask everyone to please check their junk folders when waiting to hear from us, or waiting for a confirmation or tracking email.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks!
Amanda

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
@Stevenski had been one of the Good FCers who have been rec'ding a UD to me. :cheers: He already knows all about the lab projects I've done with my EQ on the EQ thread and he has been making an effort on trying to same on materials himself. Which I'm sure was much more of a journey and $$$ for him to get his hands on a UD than it was for me.

Damm straight. Thats why I encouraged you to get one as it is so different to what you usually run & there is no need to involve breakable glass & will fit in at the lab :2c:. Good choices on the stems too & I bet you have some plans for that tip :brow:. Just be careful as the NonG has a different screen size to the D/D stems

I think the conduction of the SS and the narrow vapor path and lack of retriction is what contributes to the UD's performance. :2c:But I've only owned one for 3 days, So I'm no expert. anybody care to chime in? :peace:

The glass stems/GonG's sit outside the heater tube & rely more on convection whereas the narrow S/S ones sit inside the heater tube & also get some conduction heat going with the convection. One thing the UD has got me away from is that 230c+ high temp vaping as I find my dog is tuned just right for me & it seems to run around 210c from the look of the ABV.

I also fully recommend a long heat soak for all Underdogs....I generally just wait an hour, 45 minutes sometimes. Just seem to retain it better.....could be my dogs too because they all are thicker than the Air Core I mentioned...I have an Air Core with a pretty big body too and it retains heat awesomely, no wait time.

A long heat soak IMO reduces the need to wait between stems but idk if that's true....I just know I rarely ever have to wait and I always have mine running nice and hot prior to use

This. I find a good heatsoaking really gets things moving in the right direction. I have a standard core & have never noticed any recovery time even when I load 2 x NonG's & vape them back to back :shrug:. Maybe try letting your core heat a bit longer @dosteov but I seem to get 2 hit extractions out of my glass stem & have not noticed any heater power reduction. Thats a real beauty you got there @diseaze welcome to the pack :wave:.

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Puff slower or give it a wa wa {milkshake} (allowing chamber time to maintain heat) puff. Heat sink (let sit on heater for 15 seconds) before first hit of new bowl.
If there is allot of heat loss that isn't being recovered may be poor cable, outlet or power supply.
Just starting to sync up with my Curly UD. How easily it is for me to cool off the heater after a heavy draw if I don't allow for enough of a ramp up time.
I also fully recommend a long heat soak for all Underdogs....I generally just wait an hour, 45 minutes sometimes. Just seem to retain it better.....could be my dogs too because they all are thicker than the Air Core I mentioned...I have an Air Core with a pretty big body too and it retains heat awesomely, no wait time.
Answers a few of my power questions. Good that you can heat soak it for that long. Once the outside of the dog feels warm, I feel it is much closer to draw time. Plus I'm trying to heat up a standard core. Will heat soak longer out of habit. Since there is no shutoff of any type, what is the longest reasonable time for a UD to be left on? I plan on heating up mine at 3/4 of full power once I get a dimmer switch as a baseline. Then max the power just before I draw. Than back to 3/4 power when idle. Is there a way to temper the SS to heat better?

The glass stems/GonG's sit outside the heater tube & rely more on convection whereas the narrow S/S ones sit inside the heater tube & also get some conduction heat going with the convection.
Good to know once that arrives. The Ed's TnT stem sits inside the heater tube and conducts the heat plus the narrow pathway where the stem and heater tube don't exactly line up.

Having that special stem really upped my learning curve. Just scrape it with my SS 3 in 1 pipe tamper-poker-scraper. Straw draw, maybe tamp a little, sit in the UD and work on my draw method. Plus there is a whiter fleck of wood color on the tip of the stem that I can position it much like a clock hand to tell how long it has been in there. Just give it a quarter turn every 10 minutes. To indicate how long I kept the stem in without trying to remember. As a reminder. much like the handle of a pot on a cooking stove. (Little cooking trick I borrowed. BTW)
I am really happy with the type of wood and the length of the stem. It does add a little to the flavor drawing air over the UD and stem. But more subtle since you aren't really supposed to heat up the wood. Still Better than any wooden pipe I combusted with.:haw:

One thing the UD has got me away from is that 230c+ high temp vaping as I find my dog is tuned just right for me & it seems to run around 210c from the look of the ABV.
If it got you away from the 230c+, then that is a testimony there. :tup:I can get near black-brown cinders under the right conditions. Right amount of heat, warm up time and pack. I tend to go too heavy and need to pack less. Trying to get the engine to material ratio larger and get those power thick micro hits.

There is two types of long SS stems that Underdog sells that will probably add more heat to the vapor path, I'm guessing. SS on SS in a narrow vapor path seems to be the UD's strong suit.

Anymore more insight about the heater and best methods for warm up or any power related info would be appreciated to us new dog owners. Well my stem says it has been in for 30 minutes. Look's likes it is time to take Curly Dog for walkies. I got some presents for you on the way, Curly Dog.
@Stevenski I'll let you know what I come up with that SS stem on the way. :nod:The TnT stem fits the 10mm opening on my water tool perfect. :rockon:

Last edited:

CuckFumbustion

I just wanted to let everyone know that we've been using PHP mail on our website, and recently our emails have been getting flagged as spam because of it. Especially if you're using Gmail.
(6+ Hours since my last post.BTW) Can confirm that. My UD order related msgs were sent to my junk folder. :haw: Kept checking my UD account for any type of update. Just saw the invoice there.:uhoh:After reading @underdogette 's post and recovering my msg from my spam folder I found that my package has left CA.:rockon: So if you are taking advantage of the 4/20 to 4/30 sale you might still be affected.

Curly UD has been powered well and I've gotten better packing and grinds for the TnT stem to do the trick. Took my first fully primed draw.

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
I ordered a couple gong stems and some other stuff from Underdog on 4/20, as well as an adapter from an eBay vendor in California. Both packages arrived here in Ohio yesterday (4/22), making it possible for me to use my UD with water at least a day earlier than I expected. I made a video this morning of how I use my UD with my water piece at this point. If I use any of my gear incorrectly, feel free to correct me. I'd eventually like to get a fairly large, stable water piece, but I know essentially nothing about that stuff.

Filtering makes using my UD much more enjoyable than before. I think it's a little easier for me, too.

diseaze

starvingmusician24

Just had my mini teak pup show up. His name will be scrappy accordingly. On first sight the size is unbelievable. Maybe 2 inches tall same amount of power. Quick question @underdog what's the longest time you would recommend running a mini. I was kinda planing on using it as a movie vape in our den so the longest if would run would be 4 hours on the longer side of things.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
... Since there is no shutoff of any type, what is the longest reasonable time for a UD to be left on? I plan on heating up mine at 3/4 of full power once I get a dimmer switch as a baseline. Then max the power just before I draw. Than back to 3/4 power when idle. Is there a way to temper the SS to heat better?

...to tell how long it has been in there. Just give it a quarter turn every 10 minutes. To indicate how long I kept the stem in without trying to remember.

...Well my stem says it has been in for 30 minutes. Look's likes it is time to take Curly Dog for walkies. I got some presents for you on the way, Curly Dog.
@Stevenski I'll let you know what I come up with that SS stem on the way. :nod:The TnT stem fits the 10mm opening on my water tool perfect. :rockon:

Underdogs are meant to run 24/7 if the user wants though some unplug them between sessions to maximize the lifespan of the wooden body. Running at a reduced power level and then cranking it up to max just before drawing likely won't get you much besides frustrating, inconsistent results since any temperature changes take time to equalize/stabilize/saturate thru the core. Consistent power levels are the way to go here, think cruise control in a car.

As far as stems go, again you can do what you want but we don't recommend leaving a stem in a vape for more than 1 minute. Longer than that and you run into diminishing returns and inconsistent results since it's well outside the intended usage of the vape. :2c:

Just had my mini teak pup show up. His name will be scrappy accordingly. On first sight the size is unbelievable. Maybe 2 inches tall same amount of power. Quick question @underdog what's the longest time you would recommend running a mini. I was kinda planing on using it as a movie vape in our den so the longest if would run would be 4 hours on the longer side of things.

Minis have a very short lifespan and so any lengthy sessions will pretty rapidly eat that time (lifespan) up. The Minis are really primarily novelties/toys and not the best option for regular prolonged use. That said you can totally use it like that I just can't predict how long it might last. :shrug:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Minis have a very short lifespan and so any lengthy sessions will pretty rapidly eat that time (lifespan) up. The Minis are really primarily novelties/toys and not the best option for regular prolonged use. That said you can totally use it like that I just can't predict how long it might last. :shrug:
Best toys ever. It works for convection concentrates but I wouldn't mind a dog for nail dabs.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I ordered a couple gong stems and some other stuff from Underdog on 4/20, as well as an adapter from an eBay vendor in California. Both packages arrived here in Ohio yesterday (4/22), making it possible for me to use my UD with water at least a day earlier than I expected. I made a video this morning of how I use my UD with my water piece at this point. If I use any of my gear incorrectly, feel free to correct me. I'd eventually like to get a fairly large, stable water piece, but I know essentially nothing about that stuff.

Filtering makes using my UD much more enjoyable than before. I think it's a little easier for me, too.
Another excellent video demonstration - Thanks for sharing! One observation: when dislodging residual herb particles from the heater rod tip, I would not recommend doing so by knocking your upside-down PodDog against any hard surface. Use a long toothpick or similar non-metalic to loosen and blow out instead. Repeated light bangs and knocks can take their toll over time on just about any non shock proof instrument.

I don't mean to seem greedy, but more great vids please!!! ENJOY!!!!!

Last edited:

These videos are great keep them up!

underdog

Manufacturer

Great videos Aimless Ryan, keep em coming. It looks like you and your Pup are becoming fast friends and you've got everything down now. I did want to mention though, it looks like you're using your Dog without the extension cord we included? If you do that you'll inevitably end up with a dead power supply due to the cord getting fatigued. :uhoh:

Best toys ever. It works for convection concentrates but I wouldn't mind a dog for nail dabs.

Still thinking about that concept but haven't done much testing of any real significance. I did make a couple custom core'd Dogs though for some people that I think were doing something along those lines. They wanted them gapped (bigger air gap) and/or insulated better so they could run them hotter.. in the 700-900°F range. From what I heard back they were happy with them.

Aimless Ryan

Great videos Aimless Ryan, keep em coming. It looks like you and your Pup are becoming fast friends and you've got everything down now. I did want to mention though, it looks like you're using your Dog without the extension cord we included? If you do that you'll inevitably end up with a dead power supply due to the cord getting fatigued.

Thanks. My cat's getting jealous. I use the extension cord. I know it looks like I stretch the cord awkwardly sometimes, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm very conscious of that kind of thing, and it feels like what I've been doing is OK.

underdog

Manufacturer
Thanks. My cat's getting jealous. I use the extension cord. I know it looks like I stretch the cord awkwardly sometimes, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm very conscious of that kind of thing, and it feels like what I've been doing is OK.

Oh cool, no worries then.. I couldn't tell from the videos and thought you weren't using it. :cool:

Aimless Ryan

I appreciate you pointing that out, though. I think one of the first things I said in this thread several months ago is that my brain is kind of fried, so pardon me if I say stupid things. My brain is doing a lot better right now, but I realize sometimes I still do stupid things without thinking about it. Like tapping my dog on the table.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I appreciate you pointing that out, though. I think one of the first things I said in this thread several months ago is that my brain is kind of fried, so pardon me if I say stupid things. My brain is doing a lot better right now, but I realize sometimes I still do stupid things without thinking about it. Like tapping my dog on the table.
@Aimless Ryan - I'm sorry to have to disagree with your assessment of "stupid things" ..."Like tapping my dog on the table", etc.: we ALL do unintentionally careless things sometimes because we are either inexperienced or otherwise mentally focused and rely on reflex actions to compensate apparent needs requiring attention (such as clearing the heater rod tip of residual herb particulate). Until we become more experienced and aware of correct usages and actions, we compensate with actions on a reflex level that are so often short of absolute perfect. You, in this regard, are no different than the rest of us, myself quite often included. It is not my intention to minimize your difficulties, but I think perhaps that you may attribute many of your shortcomings to what may in fact be a naturally occurring condition afflicting us all.

Last edited:

CuckFumbustion

Consistent power levels are the way to go here, think cruise control in a car.
So you wouldn't recommend a dimmer for anything but reaching a consistent lower cruise temp. No advantage or less wear by keeping it at a lower temp?

As far as stems go, again you can do what you want but we don't recommend leaving a stem in a vape for more than 1 minute. Longer than that and you run into diminishing returns and inconsistent results since it's well outside the intended usage of the vape. :2c:
I meant warming up without materials, Preheating the SS. But now that I think of it. That wouldn't be the best thing for the stem either. While my UD is warming up, I'm going to put my copper cup on it. It already came filled with lemongrass and wax in it. :D

@Aimless Ryan Thanks for the videos. :clap:I don't much about water pieces either, but some swear by the D020-D. It has a large matrix perc for the base. Has little restriction so I've read and is inexpensive through DHgate. (and a large base so you don't have to fumble with it. while using it.I broke two pieces that were unstable.) I'm looking to get a proper vapor bong at some point. Something in the ballpark of the D020-D.

Possibly found a 13v AC/DC converter and 2 dimmers on the way. So those two might be paired up. The 13v and a dimmer then possibly dial back to 12v. Any thoughts? Curly UD is a standard core. Possibly a year old. Full description in my sig.

Until we become more experienced and aware of correct usages and actions, we compensate with actions on a reflex level that are so often short of absolute perfect.
How true. Especially with new vapes where there is a get-to-know period. :doh:

While sifting through my junk drawer, I found a glass stem with a 2mm opening. and a silicone hose to go over it. Well It fits inside my TnT!.
Which is good because it had some black buildup. Wand hash? Used my pipe scraper tool. Then got the screen out by accident. :ugh: Are they supposed to come out? ISOed it clean and worked it back to the notch in the SS stem. Underdog Aroma stuff on the way. :rockon:
Underdog Aromatherapy direct. Got some plans for the SS tip.:science:
Formed Screens 5pk SS Tip
Mix 'n' Match Stem 3pk
- Stem 1: Direct Draw (Thick)
- Stem 2: NonG 18/19mm
- Stem 3: NonG 14mm

Last edited:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
@Aimless Ryan Nice videos man :tup:
Maybe it's not as big of a deal because you have a PodDog and they have lots of voids, but it's really not recommended to leave your log upside-down like that..
Every new person I've let use my dog sets it upside down after a hit even after I flip it back over right after. I guess its just not something you initially think about.

Top Bottom