Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Heya Dogs just stopping by to let you all know the refresh should be (fingers crossed) up tonight barring any kind of unexpected difficulties.. not sure when exactly since we're still working hard at finishing up the pieces but I expect somewhere between 10pm and midnight. :tup:

CurryLeafTreehugger

Heya Dogs just stopping by to let you all know the refresh should be (fingers crossed) up tonight barring any kind of unexpected difficulties.. not sure when exactly since we're still working hard at finishing up the pieces but I expect somewhere between 10pm and midnight. :tup:

Oh dear, are the J-stems all gone? Oh well. I think I am making the Glass stems work well since I've flipped the screen over.

Hope all of us pinging the website looking for the update doesn't bring it crashing down, LOL!

underdog

Manufacturer
Oh dear, are the J-stems all gone? Oh well. I think I am making the Glass stems work well since I've flipped the screen over.

Hope all of us pinging the website looking for the update doesn't bring it crashing down, LOL!

We have a bunch more J-hooks and will be adding them with the refresh so no worries there. :) (and please don't crash the web server) :brow:

CurryLeafTreehugger

I've been using the inverted basket screen for years. I do prefer it mostly because it makes stirring easier IMO. However I have found that I still need to replace the screen quite frequently in both screen configurations. I have lots of screens, so I just swap 'em out every few days and dump them in a jar of iso until it's time to clean them all (which just means rinsing in water and letting dry).:2c:

:peace:

OK, so I finally tried putting the screens in from the top for the GonG stem - the one that has ground glass on the end. And the results of that lead me to believe there's no point in my even trying it with the stainless tips in the nylon stems. (Also, these tests should always be performer BEFORE starting to partake - which is why this didn't get done yesterday, LOL!)

The result is that it was impossible for me to insert the screen from the top even in the glass stem, which is larger than the stainless tips, and since they're clear, I can see what I'm doing. Still no joy.

I COULD insert it by squeezing it in past the ground glass part, but then I have to fuss with it to get it flat again and make sure the sides are right up against the glass.

So for me - and my not at all dextrous hands - I'm sticking with the direct draw stems. Yeah, I think the advantage of getting those screens in there with the flat up is that much greater than bowl-down.

When I get my new Holiday Vape (annnny second nowwww) - I'll be getting all direct draw.

Then I can set 'em up and knock 'em back all at once, LOL!

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
OK, so I finally tried putting the screens in from the top for the GonG stem - the one that has ground glass on the end. And the results of that lead me to believe there's no point in my even trying it with the stainless tips in the nylon stems. (Also, these tests should always be performer BEFORE starting to partake - which is why this didn't get done yesterday, LOL!)

The result is that it was impossible for me to insert the screen from the top even in the glass stem, which is larger than the stainless tips, and since they're clear, I can see what I'm doing. Still no joy.

I COULD insert it by squeezing it in past the ground glass part, but then I have to fuss with it to get it flat again and make sure the sides are right up against the glass.

So for me - and my not at all dextrous hands - I'm sticking with the direct draw stems. Yeah, I think the advantage of getting those screens in there with the flat up is that much greater than bowl-down.

When I get my new Holiday Vape (annnny second nowwww) - I'll be getting all direct draw.

Then I can set 'em up and knock 'em back all at once, LOL!
Have you tried dowel rods?

YungLeaner

It's now been a week since I used my Herbalizer...I <3 my UD.

I've found that small bubblers work much better than large pieces for glass-milking purposes. I've also found that I can heat up my UD much faster if I place it next to a space heater after plugging it in. Good to know!

peace&love

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I am really happy with getting back to basics with the UD. No fucking around with temps & settings just plug it in, pack a stem & get mellow. Life is needlessly complicated & I enjoy the simple elegance of a log sitting on my coffee table & seem to be settling into a routine of an evening after we both warm up.

The only bad thing I have to say about the pup is when I used the glass D/D stem I sometimes can't help but start to get ideas about getting the temp down & making me some base :disgust:.

CurryLeafTreehugger

Have you tried dowel rods?

If you mean while inserting the screen - yeah, but I'm trying to put them in UPSIDE DOWN - with the flat part up instead of the bowl part.

This is easy in the plain glass direct draw stems, but not so easily accomplished in any of the stems where they're not the same size on both ends.

For a direct draw stem, you insert just like in the video - except you then proceed to push it up to the other end so the flat part is nearest the end.

But in all the other stems, one end is smaller than the other, and you have to manage to get the screen in by putting the bowl part into the business end of the stem first.

I can do the former, and not the latter. Also, the GonG stem that has the ground glass on one end, which I had squeezed the screen in through that smaller end and had to fiddle with it to get it to sit right - well, it wasn't sitting right. The first time I went to stir it, the screen flipped sideways.

So as long as *I* want upside down screens, I can only manage that in the direct draw glass stems. Which is fine. Those are my favorite stems anyway.

I know there are other people who have had more success with the other stems, but with my limitations, I can't manage them if I want upside down screens.

Also - my new Dawg is on the way! With 4 direct draw stems, LOL!

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

underdog

Manufacturer
If you mean while inserting the screen - yeah, but I'm trying to put them in UPSIDE DOWN - with the flat part up instead of the bowl part.

This is easy in the plain glass direct draw stems, but not so easily accomplished in any of the stems where they're not the same size on both ends.

For a direct draw stem, you insert just like in the video - except you then proceed to push it up to the other end so the flat part is nearest the end.

But in all the other stems, one end is smaller than the other, and you have to manage to get the screen in by putting the bowl part into the business end of the stem first.

I can do the former, and not the latter. Also, the GonG stem that has the ground glass on one end, which I had squeezed the screen in through that smaller end and had to fiddle with it to get it to sit right - well, it wasn't sitting right. The first time I went to stir it, the screen flipped sideways.

So as long as *I* want upside down screens, I can only manage that in the direct draw glass stems. Which is fine. Those are my favorite stems anyway.

I know there are other people who have had more success with the other stems, but with my limitations, I can't manage them if I want upside down screens.

Also - my new Dawg is on the way! With 4 direct draw stems, LOL!

You're not the only one, other than the Direct Draw stems I haven't had much luck putting the screens upside down either. Not saying it can't be done just that it would certainly appear to be a challenge. Granted I didn't intend for them to be upside down and don't really care for them that way so I haven't tried too hard lol. ;)

BrotherJoseph

I put a screen on the tip of the dowel that came with them and insert it from the joint side of the gong/nong. Works like a charm every time. I especially love it with my nylon peices because they have the crimp on the steel tip, I just push it in with the dowel until it hits the stop ring and then it's set. The ring also provides a nice little "shelf" to keep the edges of the screen cleaner. Once I've used it a few times the resin builds up enough behind it to keep it in place while I stir/scrap screens if needed.

WeedyGirl1979

So I got my SS stem and j-hook today (again, killer fast service!) and while I like the SS- better than glass direct draw for me, on par with the nylon- me and the j-hook get along nicely. It reminds me of my first bowl, way back when. I love the mouthpiece and the silent performance. Options are my friend! :)
I was so, so tempted to jump on another holiday vape, but I gotta earn some more money first. No one told me that I'd want to own multiples of the same vape! :p

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
Never heard of those terms before.....but I like them - makes sense and rolls off the tongue nicely
I recently ordered a UD, also have a nano. The thing that had me most intruiged was the steel tips that fit in the core. I saw the StinGs posted in a picture above and thought that looked pretty neat. I ordered a stainless with silicone tip as well as a short GonG, I'm going to try to mate them and do a comparison to the NonG. I'll keep you all updated.

I know it's been mentioned before, but I'd like to say Underdog's CS has been amazing so far, and I haven't even gotten my log yet. Can't wait to join the dog pack with the rest of you!

Vape Dr.

Hello! I just got an UD with a standard core, a 14mm glass stem that immediately rolled on the floor and broke, and an 18mm NonG.

I have been PMing with UD and figured I would ask here.

I was told the herb can not touch the UD heater. That is no problem with the 1 hit micro dose style 18mm Nong but does that mean with a stem I need to put a screen on the herb after I pack it so it doesn't fall into the core?

I have a 12v and a 15v wal wart and a dimmer switch. The dimmer switch is a pain in the ass but the 12v adapter plugged directly into the UD gives me wispy vapor at best. the 15v combusts.

Sorry guys, I'm new to log vapes, I was always under the impression they kicked ass, mine does not seem to have the ass kicking gene...

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? 12v directly to the UD with no dimmer should give me massive clouds, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hello! I just got an UD with a standard core, a 14mm glass stem that immediately rolled on the floor and broke, and an 18mm NonG.

I have been PMing with UD and figured I would ask here.

I was told the herb can not touch the UD heater. That is no problem with the 1 hit micro dose style 18mm Nong but does that mean with a stem I need to put a screen on the herb after I pack it so it doesn't fall into the core?

I have a 12v and a 15v wal wart and a dimmer switch. The dimmer switch is a pain in the ass but the 12v adapter plugged directly into the UD gives me wispy vapor at best. the 15v combusts.

Sorry guys, I'm new to log vapes, I was always under the impression they kicked ass, mine does not seem to have the ass kicking gene...

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? 12v directly to the UD with no dimmer should give me massive clouds, correct?

Thanks in advance!
How long was the unit on before you tried? I assume you are using the SS tipped Nong? Using the glass stem, you do not need a second screen but you can use one if you like. I usually take my fist puff or two in an almost horizontal position. This will 'set' the load and keep it from falling out. If a few specks fall into the heater area, simply turn it over and give it a few pats on the butt. That should clear any debris. Is this a brand new unit?

Vape Dr.

@Madcap79 I had the unit on for 2 hours.
It is not new, I got it from an FC member but it is in very nice shape.

Using the straight up 12V walwart I can get a couple decent draws off the NonG with the SS tube that goes inside the core if I hit it like a stem.
If I try to use it through a small water pipe the vapor is super wispy.

I am trying to sand down the 14mm glass right now (about 1/2 inch broke of at the opposite end of the WPA) and I am going to heat it up to round off the edge. Hopefully it will work as a shorter stem.

I have some other glass straight stems from a vaporcup with screens but the ID is just a bit too small.
I was going to cut a piece of Vapexhale surgical tubing and add that to the stem and slide the surgical tubing over the heater core.

This should work right? It is the same as the tube stem they sell on the UD website.

Thanks for the help!!!

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
@Madcap79 I had the unit on for 2 hours.
It is not new, I got it from an FC member but it is in very nice shape.

Using the straight up 12V walwart I can get a couple decent draws off the NonG with the SS tube that goes inside the core if I hit it like a stem.
If I try to use it through a small water pipe the vapor is super wispy.

I am trying to sand down the 14mm glass right now (about 1/2 inch broke of at the opposite end of the WPA) and I am going to heat it up to round off the edge. Hopefully it will work as a shorter stem.

I have some other glass straight stems from a vaporcup with screens but the ID is just a bit too small.
I was going to cut a piece of Vapexhale surgical tubing and add that to the stem and slide the surgical tubing over the heater core.

This should work right? It is the same as the tube stem they sell on the UD website.

Thanks for the help!!!
I think it'll work just fine as long as it's heat safe. I assume the past owner had no issues? Depending on how old it is, it could take a while to heat up but 2 hours would be plenty. The heater core could be slowly dying?

Vape Dr.

I got the UD to tide me over until I get my HI and I thought the UD and HI were fairly similar vapes.

I did get the 14mm stem ground down and the edge is nice and round now, the stem is only 2 1/16" long now but at least it's still usable.

I thought the heater might be going too, but with the 15V wal wart I combusted with the NonG!:puke:

This is my first log so I'm willing to take most of the blame because of inexperience with log vapes.

When you guys put the screen in the stem do you put it in with the cup part facing towards or away from the heater? Also How far do you put the screen from the core?

With straight 12v power supply coming into the UD I should get massive clouds, correct?

YungLeaner

I doubt your heater core is dead. Many others have had different results but I do not find myself amazed by the log design when used in direct draw. IMO it shines through a small bubbler, and can provide the equivalent of a smallish cloud evo hit with absurd efficiency. If you want it to give bigger hits without adjusting voltage, I suggest wrapping it in a t shirt or blanket for 10 mins when it's at full heat. This takes the temp up an easy 20 degrees. Same for placing the log next to a space heater. Body heat makes a huge difference.

EDIT: if the log is hot enough and vaping your weed then yes there will be clouds, but there's so many factors that just the voltage isn't really enough to know. I really suggest a J-Hook or bubbler. If you combusted, then inhale faster--it's like using an SSV, the user determines the temp a great deal

Top Bottom