Underdog Log Vapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I got tired of putting the sock back on yesterday, but I do have some brown ABV now :brow:

What works best for me to get the temp up a bit is to stick my dog between the couch pillows or between the pillows in my bed, and it has to be with the heater opening pointed in a downward angle. It takes about 45 minutes to let it fully heat up this way if it's already warm, or little over an hour from cold to hot.

I still have a few light bits in my ABV now, but I also vaped several bowls that looked completely waisted after they came out of my UD yesterday.

I still would like the Dog to be able to reach those temperatures just standing proud and tall without hiding anywhere, but at least it's something.

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Weird that you need to do that, but I'm glad you found a way to get it to the temps you like. The thing about fixed temp vapes is that there will always be some who prefer higher or lower temps. Those people really need a variable power supply IMO. I guess you just like to vape darker most likely.

Post a pic of an example of your dark ABV if you get a chance, I'd love to see what you want the ABV to look like so I can figure out what an OTA hit feels like and if I'd enjoy one myself haha.

darkrom,

SirElton

My dog is rather large so it sometimes doesn't get up to my desired temperature. I'd forgotten about the sock method. I used it on my old MyrtleZap and it worked like a charm.

SirElton,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Tried out a couple of experiments this afternoon to see how dark I could get my ABV using my larget UD without any form of added insulation. I used The Queen on the regular power supply with a normal stem load (About .05). I was producing a light brown ABV but could not get anything darker. I then remembered a trick I had found when I got my first UD. I loaded the stem with a little more than normal (About .08 - 1g) then use the supplied wood dowel to pack the load tight into the stem. This resulted in a slightly more constricted draw, fatter rips, and nice evenly browned ABV. I know this was probably covered before but I just rediscovered it after only using my UD with water for the past two months. Maybe this can help you guys that are looking to get a darker colored ABV.

*Edit* Just duplicated same results with another stem :ko: Love falling in love all over again.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I tried different packing methods but I've always gotten less dense vapor and less hits when packing it tighter up to now.

I get my best results when I dump 2 to 3 small pinches in the bowl, and then I just 'stab' it a couple of times with my SSV poker to get any 'air pockets' out and make everything sink to the bottom. That's about it.

Darkrom, I'll give it a shot, but in my experience ABV almost never looks the same color in rl as it does in pictures.

edit: ps + photo added.

ps: how long do you guys use a stem before tossing it? The one I've been using the most is starting to turn brown now. Is it worth cleaning it up or do you guys just replace it when it starts looking dirty?

Here's a ABV picture upon request. The stuff on the left is my UD ABV from before I got it running hotter/stuffed it in the couch pillows. The stuff on the right is ABV from my Solo, Vapocane and hotter running pup (with a few green bits mixed in from when I accidentally dumped a few earlier UD bowls in there) or how I would like it to be. Both look slightly darker irl.

minip1010726.jpg

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I usually cut a new stem about every 2-3 weeks. I purchase tubing from Dave in 3' lengths and cut a new one as needed. I cut mine about 2" long and this is my preferred size to use with glass. I very rarely vape without water filtration anymore. Just picked up the smallest showerhead bubbler I have ever seen today to use with the pups. Will get some photos up tonight. It is about half the size of my Ubertwig :D

*Edit*
Here i the new toy. I am fascinated by micro bubblers and this is about as micro as they come. The showerhead design and large 4 slits give really nice diffusion and the small amount of water offers a very tasty vaping experience. The bowl size is also a perfect fit for Dave's thin wall 3/8 stem. Video will hopefully come in the next day or two. Another successful UD glass combo :D

38475411192286226084911.jpg

img0501i.jpg

img0505np.jpg

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Then it's time to toss it I guess.

I like it Gonzo, reminds me of another one someone posted a while ago.
How much was it/where did you get it?

I bought one of these myself for portable use:

small_swan_neck_bong.jpg

@ edit

I added a diffused downstem, but I still don't like using it. The shape and size of the mouthpiece make it very uncomfortable to use for me, and the damn thing just keeps tipping over every single time I use. I'd rather bring my 250ml instead until I find something that works better.

My pup is really starting to grow on me btw. I've been using it exclusively for the last few days now and it has been a lot of fun. Superthick clouds are so easy to come by with this one, and it's so convenient to have something around that's at working temps whenever you need it. Just fill a bowl and it's ready to go, even if I only have a few seconds to take a hit or two. Just for that reason alone it already filled a large gap in my small collection.

Today I'll be looking in to egg warmers.

This vaporizer-hobby haves me look at the weirdest stuff at times :lol:

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Glad you are liking your UD OTA, mine has been my go to vape for almost 6 months. I got the mini bub at a LHS, they were asking $60 and I got them to go 20% off. I am loving pairing it with the UD. The small amount of water and short vapor path are offering really tasty hits.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I'm glad I got it to work properly at home now. Just trying to figure out a way to use it at my buddies house as well, where there's no possibility to sit next to a wall outlet. I don't think I would bring a variable power supply even if I had one, it gets a little much at some point, with the water filtration and whatnot.

Your post had me looking at hammer style bubblers for most of the afternoon, but I can only find a few on this side of the pond and they are all worked. I'd prefer a clean looking hammer like yours, damned EU market. You guys really have all the cool stuff over there, but I'm just so tired of paying import- and tax fees. I may have to go with a 8 arm pre-cooler and a sherlock mouthpiece instead for my portable needs.

edit: do you have a link perhaps? I can't find LHS by myself it seems.

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Just emailed you OTA. Don't want to get off topic in Dave's thread :D Let me know if your not successful.

Gonzo,

scottio19

scotty
Gonzo said:
Tried out a couple of experiments this afternoon to see how dark I could get my ABV using my larget UD without any form of added insulation. I used The Queen on the regular power supply with a normal stem load (About .05). I was producing a light brown ABV but could not get anything darker. I then remembered a trick I had found when I got my first UD. I loaded the stem with a little more than normal (About .08 - 1g) then use the supplied wood dowel to pack the load tight into the stem. This resulted in a slightly more constricted draw, fatter rips, and nice evenly browned ABV. I know this was probably covered before but I just rediscovered it after only using my UD with water for the past two months. Maybe this can help you guys that are looking to get a darker colored ABV.

*Edit* Just duplicated same results with another stem :ko: Love falling in love all over again.

Gonzo, just tried this method, and I don't think I'll be needing my coozy anymore! dark abv. I guess by keeping my pack as airy as possible was causing problem I was trying to fix. will pack my bowls from now on, this makes it easier too now that I don't have to worry about spillage.

I will try some more bowls to confirm this, I get super lit from one bowl so testing a method thoroughly can take a few days..

scottio19,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Glad you guys are enjoying the technique. I have been getting some massive hits this way. Can't wait to see the new wood Dave is bringing back for the shop.

Gonzo,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
I gotta say the "coozy" method combined with figuring out my packing technique has really made my UD shine! thanks for the tips guys!

I leave it on 24/7 but in the morning when I wake up knowing I'll rip it later in the day i wrap it in a light hand towel and it heats up just the extra bit I wanted it to!

glad to be enjoying my dog to its fullest potential now!

MarcellusWiley,

SD_haze

Has anyone used a "slap koozie" with the UD?

I just discovered them and they seem like the perfect cheap + easy-to-apply + super thermal way to add insulation.

Basically its 4mm neoprene (wetsuit) and it comes as a strip, so you can cut it exactly tight around however wide your UD is.
slap-koozie.jpg

Just googling slap koozie comes up with a ton of different online stores selling them, all under $10 or so.

I've been using a sock coozie and it doesnt seem to insulate very effectively.

SD_haze,

vap999

SD_haze said:
Has anyone used a "slap koozie" with the UD?

I just discovered them and they seem like the perfect cheap + easy-to-apply + super thermal way to add insulation.

Basically its 4mm neoprene (wetsuit) and it comes as a strip, so you can cut it exactly tight around however wide your UD is.
http://www.herecomethemummies.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/zoom/slap-koozie.jpg

Just googling slap koozie comes up with a ton of different online stores selling them, all under $10 or so.

I've been using a sock coozie and it doesnt seem to insulate very effectively.

Local national chain hobby/arts/crafts suppliers sell thinner blue neoprene sheets, probably 12" x 18", in their youngest children's section, along with other sheets of paper and other materials to be used in making collages (cut out and glue down shapes). I'm sure these can be purchased online. Thinner material should allow use of multiple layers/wrapping, allowing finer tuning of the vaporizer's ambient temperature. As far keeping it from unwrapping, a line of glue will do it (or tape, rubber bands, etc.).

vap999,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Yeah you right Darkrom! I need a new glass stem as my other one was on the coffee table and one sweep of my dogs tail sent it crashing to the floor. Hopefully Dave will get some new 3/8 custom glass stems soon.

Can't wait to see the Lignum Vitae and Sumac Dave!

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Good thing indeed, because my puppy stopped getting hot enough on the car adapter as well now :(

It does still feel warm on the outside, but when I blow into it the air doesn't scorch my lips anymore and I can't get any visible vapor out of it anymore. It's been heating up for almost six hours, upside down under the blankets, so that can't be it. I got one or two hits out of her when I had just turned her on for an hour or so earlier this afternoon, but it's just slowly getting cooler now it seems.

I think she needs help.. :uhoh:

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
Good thing indeed, because my puppy stopped getting hot enough on the car adapter as well now :(

It does still feel warm on the outside, but when I blow into it the air doesn't scorch my lips anymore and I can't get any visible vapor out of it anymore. It's been heating up for almost six hours, upside down under the blankets, so that can't be it. I got one or two hits out of her when I had just turned her on for an hour or so earlier this afternoon, but it's just slowly getting cooler now it seems.

I think she needs help.. :uhoh:

Either this vape needs help or you need to get your wiring checked because something isn't right :(

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm afraid it must the UD or the power supplies, my apartment is only 25 years old and I don't have any other problems with this outlet (or others) with anything else I plug into it. My buddy is bringing over his multimeter so I can at least check some things out next Wednesday.

OhTheAgony,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
@ Gonzo - sucks about your glass stem dude! It'll be a good month or so before I get more fancy glass stems in so hopefully you'll manage to survive somehow. Once I get it processed down I'll post some pics of the Sumac and Lignum Vitae.

@ darkrom - I'll be working on your CF piece once I get back and settled in, I'll keep you posted.

@ OTA - damn dude sorry to hear you're still having troubles, let me know when you have access to the multimeter so I can have you measure a couple specific things for me ok?

underdog,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Sure Dave, or just send me list of things you want me to test whenever you have the time so I can get at it as soon as it gets here.

I think either the car adapter or my inverter died on me btw. I can still get it up to a certain temp with the 220V adapter, just not hot enough to brown the ABV again. Funny enough the little red LED on the car adapter still glows brightly.

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom