Underdog Log Vapes

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
SD_haze said:
I never thought about this until I really used the silicone stem, but isn't the silicone not providing as much of a conductive heating effect compared to other log vapes & their metal bowls?

If so, that means more convective heating, which might explain why the UD hits so nice?

What do you guys think?
I mentioned this every time i recommend an UD.
Black limba and Osage-orange .. are so delicious :(

Abysmal Vapor,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
VaporBoxed said:
Elluzion said:
I enjoy the seal that it makes although I do hear a little sound everytime I twist it off the core.. Do you guys think it's better to "twist" it to get it off the core or just pull it straight? Just curious :rolleyes:

OK, I think had this problem. Now if you hear a small click your core may be loosening. A twist is not good for that. I slowly pull it out at an angle. (TWSS) If you twist you could loosen your core and a loose core makes for a sad dog.

Be gentle with your dog and it will live a long happy life. ;)

Thanks for the tip! Well it isn't a click, it is more of a very slight tick sound, so hopefully no damage done, I have been very gentle. I guess from now on I will just slowly pull off the stems straight while inhaling any fallen herbs. Hope my core doesn't go loose, that would suck... Actually, the sound is more like a squeegee kinda sound, and may just be from the silicon rubbing against the metal?

Elluzion,

SD_haze

Would adjusting the screen placement on the new twigs not be necessary now that they're running hotter anyway?

I feel like it might, at least for concentrates.
What would be the easiest way of moving the screen down? Pop it out then just restick it in closer to the end?

SD_haze,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
SD_haze said:
Would adjusting the screen placement on the new twigs not be necessary now that they're running hotter anyway?

I feel like it might, at least for concentrates.
What would be the easiest way of moving the screen down? Pop it out then just restick it in closer to the end?
Exactly. The screens move best in one direction only. From the bottom upward. Just poke it up and re-insert through the bottom.

:peace:

Stu,

GO!!bot

hahaha I just read this whole thread in two days!! I'm pumped to order me a dog

Just one question though: are the woods pictured last page (the remaining uber twigs) softwoods? I'm looking for something that will run REALLY warm. I already have my zap for a lighter vapor, so something to get me a stonier high would rock

I'm really liking that canarywood though hmm......

GO!!bot,

Bananiq

I have a question maybe previously answered but how many revisions of Underdog are there? Thanx

Bananiq,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
GO!!bot said:
hahaha I just read this whole thread in two days!! I'm pumped to order me a dog

Just one question though: are the woods pictured last page (the remaining uber twigs) softwoods? I'm looking for something that will run REALLY warm. I already have my zap for a lighter vapor, so something to get me a stonier high would rock

I'm really liking that canarywood though hmm......

Hey GO!!bot - all the pictured woods are theoretically hardwoods I do believe but that being said some of them are much softer than others. Yew, Canarywood, Black Limba, Mahogany and Claro Walnut are going to be the softest of the choices in order of softest to hardest. The rest of the wood types are considerably harder. Hope that answers your question?

Bananiq said:
I have a question maybe previously answered but how many revisions of Underdog are there? Thanx

Hi Bananiq - not exactly sure I understand your question fully but I'll take a whack at it anyways.

The UD core (at the time of joining FC) used to be divided into three types: 1/4" 3 watt, 1/4" 5 watt and 3/8" 5 watt. All of these had good performance but none were rated for the 24/7 operation people wanted. I revised the 3/8" core several months back making quite a few improvements in design, performance and efficiency (amongst other things), added 24/7 operation and improved air-flow. My initial intent was to also revise the 1/4" core in a similar fashion but have decided not to do so for the time being and am now using the revised 3/8" core in all pieces being sold.

I revised the DC power supplies shipped with UDs several months ago after having a series of failures with the type I had been using. The new power supplies are still the same 12v DC but are a different technology, much more dependable and provide better performance.. those these gains are at the expense of the power supply being significantly larger.

As far as wood designs go the only revision externally noticeable is that of the uber-Twigs which are larger than the old generation of Twigs, have a side mounted power plug instead of bottom mounted and all use the revised 3/8" core.

Hope what you were looking for is in there somewhere.. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
underdog said:
weedemon said:
darkrom said:
I make sure to inhale a little harder and pull straight off. Inhaling harder as I pull ensures no bud falls into the heater core and it all stays in the stem.

don't all UD vapes have a screen blocking herb form begin able to fall down into the heater core?

Yeah there's a screen in the heat port tube, I think darkrom is just trying to keep things from falling into the tube and on to the screen..

Yes sorry I mean to just avoid making a mess by leaving ground up powdered bud ON the screen. There is no concern with it falling into the vape or anything, simply won't happen. I just don't want ABV all over the place lol.

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I do the same thing whit the Solo stems when I pull them out, usually holding the unit & stem upside down even. My place is messy enough as it is :lol:

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
I do the same thing whit the Solo stems when I pull them out, usually holding the unit & stem upside down even. My place is messy enough as it is :lol:

I held my solo upside down EVERY time I'd take the stem out lol. It was instinct to me.

darkrom,

barca14

After months of lurking and reading this entire thread, I finally received my first dog on Thursday! I'm still in the process of experimenting to the find the best technique, and I have a couple of questions:
How far should the screen be from the end of the stem? I had my screen almost touching the heater core, and I still ended up with green/golden brown ABV. So far, I have gotten two good milky hits, and both of those were the first hit of a bowl. After that, I feel the effects, but get no visible vapor.
Also, how fast do you guys pull? I have tried pulling very hard, normally, and MFLB-slow, it doesn't really seem to make a difference.
I know the Underdog is capable of producing some thick vapor, so just trying to figure out the details...

barca14,

barca14

I'm not sure how much I put in the stem in terms of grams, but at first I started with just enough herb to fill up the screen bowl, and then I tried putting in a little more than 1cm deep of herb. I got one good hit from both amounts, so I'm confused as to which is the correct way to pack the stem.

barca14,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I don't have any experience with this one just yet, but I think I remember reading somewhere in this thread to just suck in a little herb through the stem gently and leave it at that (so no further packing). 1cm sounds like a bit much to me, how about giving half that a try first?

I'm sure someone with actual experience will jump in soon though, in case I got it all wrong.

OhTheAgony,

barca14

Ok, I have it warming up right now so I'll try a very little amount of herb this time. I was watching stroh's video review, and it looks like he has his screen farther away than I do, but he's still getting pretty good hits. Maybe there's more to the inhaling technique than I think there is?

barca14,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Some run hotter than others, especially larger ones made out of denser wood tend to run cooler, that's why Gonzo asked you that ^^

(I assume)

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Yeah OTH, that's why I asked that. Something still seems off though. Even with the Queen I still get nice and thick tasty hits.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Power supply?

Can you still touch a properly working warmed up UD's heater thingie without burning yourself? Just looking for a way to help the guy figure out if it gets hot enough or not.

OhTheAgony,

barca14

Sorry gonzo, didn't see your post at first. I got an ash normal-sized lost dog.
I was thinking it might be the power supply as well, because Dave told me my unit was testing fine. After I leave it to heat up for 30 minutes, I can only keep my finger on the heating element for a second before it gets too hot.

barca14,

darkrom

Great Scott!
barca14 said:
After months of lurking and reading this entire thread, I finally received my first dog on Thursday! I'm still in the process of experimenting to the find the best technique, and I have a couple of questions:
How far should the screen be from the end of the stem? I had my screen almost touching the heater core, and I still ended up with green/golden brown ABV. So far, I have gotten two good milky hits, and both of those were the first hit of a bowl. After that, I feel the effects, but get no visible vapor.
Also, how fast do you guys pull? I have tried pulling very hard, normally, and MFLB-slow, it doesn't really seem to make a difference.
I know the Underdog is capable of producing some thick vapor, so just trying to figure out the details...

Let it heat up for like 1/2 hr to rule out anything and make sure it is plugged in properly on the back. Then blow on the heater core while holding it close to your lips. You should feel the heat radiate back at you that will clearly indicate the UD is hot enough. This way you can determine if it is the unit or the stem somehow or maybe even the bud. There really is no learning curve with the UD so something has to be up. Is this quality bud? Maybe your power supply is the culprit. One way or another I'm sure Dave will take care of you.

darkrom,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I would try moving the screen close to the heater and using about a .10 load. I also have a Ash piece (The Queen) and I think the Ash wood is relatively dense which makes it run a little cooler. With The Queen I use a small load and keep the screen as close to the core as I can without the material touching the core.

Gonzo,

barca14

Thanks for the help guys, you reply almost as fast as Dave does to emails! This is one of the reasons I chose to buy an Underdog, such great customer service and a great community overall.
I'll try moving the screen closer with a small load. Darkrom, the material I was using yesterday was okay, but not the best. I'll try with some high quality stuff later. Does quality of herb make a big difference?

Edit: Also, I've noticed that some fine material gets past the screen and sticks to the silicone. Does this mean I'm grinding too fine? I forget who, but someone on this thread suggested a t shirt over the stem to filter out these particles, and I was thinking of using a wet tshirt for added filtration. Do you guys use anything to filter the vapor?

barca14,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
You could even get vapor from stems if you want to, but the better the quality, the bigger the clouds & the more of them.

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom