Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Nice work on those PodDogs Dave! :cool: They turned out very nice! :cheers:

Thanks dude! I've got a half dozen more Pods to turn and then there probably won't be PodDogs again. I'm starting to develop a sensitivity to it (banksia pods) so need to stop exposing myself to it before it gets worse.

The message here is anyone who wants a PodDog better get one soon because I'm not going to be making any more once these are done.

Yes and I'll be quick to ask more when I've absorbed more info. Plenty of videos. :popcorn:

So the current Standard core is a second version? It will be put out of production for future work on a Standard 'V3'. Also does the Air core weight less? Any power consumption different in
cold or outdoor environments? Can I take it on a hike?

Beeswax and Mineral oil. I use mineral oil on chopping blocks and wooden utensils btw. Anything more about Underbutter?
I am thinking rugged and battery and VVPS options. With rugged power options?

Has anybody made modded a mock cradle that powers their UD like an Arizer Solo? :hmm: Or is that what others want me to come up with? :D

Watched the lathe video. Thinking about rescuing a Lost dog Standard core, If I can get a UD on a budget.

Yes the Standard core is the evolved version of our original core. I stopped counting revisions but there were probably 4-5 updates in the early years and 2 major ones in the last 2-3 years. I don't tend to announce or point out most revisions since they're internal and not visible. This time I've announced the upcoming revision because of the plan to take it out of production.

The Air Core does weigh a little less which means it heats up a tiny bit faster and runs a tiny bit hotter but these differences are so slight that they're basically unnoticeable outside the test bench environment. Same heating elements between the two cores, same power output.

You can take any Dog on a hike, you just have to get a battery pack to power it. The past 10 pages (or so) of the thread has some discussions on battery options, etc and the website FAQ also has info on them and VVPS as well.

I can't imagine a cradle working for the Dog since it's power port is on the side and takes good alignment and a fair amount of force to plug in. I suspect trying to use it like that would result in lots of broken power plugs (on the vape). It also can't be used when not plugged in since it will drop below vaping temps within seconds of being unplugged.

Congrats on 500 awesome pages @underdog & @underdogette :party:

Here's looking forward to the next 500 & beyond! :cheers:

500.jpg

Now it's time to celebrate!!! :science:

BoBX0wy.jpg

Thanks dude! Happy to still be here after all these years and growing the UD pack day after day! :bowdown:

NickDlow

Log Hog
Thanks dude! I've got a half dozen more Pods to turn and then there probably won't be PodDogs again. I'm starting to develop a sensitivity to it (banksia pods) so need to stop exposing myself to it before it gets worse.

The message here is anyone who wants a PodDog better get one soon because I'm not going to be making any more once these are done.

Yes the Standard core is the evolved version of our original core. I stopped counting revisions but there were probably 4-5 updates in the early years and 2 major ones in the last 2-3 years. I don't tend to announce or point out most revisions since they're internal and not visible. This time I've announced the upcoming revision because of the plan to take it out of production.

The Air Core does weigh a little less which means it heats up a tiny bit faster and runs a tiny bit hotter but these differences are so slight that they're basically unnoticeable outside the test bench environment. Same heating elements between the two cores, same power output.

You can take any Dog on a hike, you just have to get a battery pack to power it. The past 10 pages (or so) of the thread has some discussions on battery options, etc and the website FAQ also has info on them and VVPS as well.

I can't imagine a cradle working for the Dog since it's power port is on the side and takes good alignment and a fair amount of force to plug in. I suspect trying to use it like that would result in lots of broken power plugs (on the vape). It also can't be used when not plugged in since it will drop below vaping temps within seconds of being unplugged.

Thanks dude! Happy to still be here after all these years and growing the UD pack day after day! :bowdown:

Is this new core worth sending in older models for an updated core? If that's even a possibility when you're finished.

I don't have any plans to do this unless it is some amazing update that has a delorian from back to the future built into it.

Other than that I don't see how these can get any better. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

underdog

Manufacturer
Is this new core worth sending in older models for an updated core? If that's even a possibility when you're finished.

I don't have any plans to do this unless it is some amazing update that has a delorian from back to the future built into it.

Other than that I don't see how these can get any better. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Tough/complicated question.. the answer is no, yes, maybe and sometimes. :lol:

When pieces come in for repair I frequently swap the cores out for whatever the current production one is, assuming I can get the old core out which is pretty hit and miss. If I do this swap it's usually because the Dog in question is running on a resistor still and I want to move it over to a SS heater or because I want to maximize the remaining lifespan of the Dog and the newest (Standard) cores tend to offer better heat protection for the wood.

So, if you have a resistor based or pre-Nylon/NonG model and I'm able to get the core out then core replacement might be a viable option. This is still a bit of a tough call because it might cost as much as $50 to do this kind of swap and depending on how old a Dog is and it's perceived 'worth' one might be better off investing that cash towards a completely new UD altogether. :2c:

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted

Variety is the spice of lfe...
I want them All standard core, Aircore and anything else he comes up with

NickDlow

Log Hog
Tough/complicated question.. the answer is no, yes, maybe and sometimes. :lol:

When pieces come in for repair I frequently swap the cores out for whatever the current production one is, assuming I can get the old core out which is pretty hit and miss. If I do this swap it's usually because the Dog in question is running on a resistor still and I want to move it over to a SS heater or because I want to maximize the remaining lifespan of the Dog and the newest (Standard) cores tend to offer better heat protection for the wood.

So, if you have a resistor based or pre-Nylon/NonG model and I'm able to get the core out then core replacement might be a viable option. This is still a bit of a tough call because it might cost as much as $50 to do this kind of swap and depending on how old a Dog is and it's perceived 'worth' one might be better off investing that cash towards a completely new UD altogether. :2c:

So no time travel:shrug:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Since I feel like the video of my first look at an Underdog turned out well, I'll share it instead of writing about it. I'll start uploading my first-time-using an Underdog video as soon as I post this.

Making these videos and sharing them seems to have become a way for me to interact with a world that almost never sees me anymore. I actually enjoyed watching them, so I hope you will, too.

ADDED: Here is my first-time-using video.

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

Since I feel like the video of my first look at an Underdog turned out well, I'll share it instead of writing about it. I'll start uploading my first-time-using an Underdog video as soon as I post this.

Making these videos and sharing them seems to have become a way for me to interact with a world that almost never sees me anymore. I actually enjoyed watching them, so I hope you will, too.

We see you, Ryan.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker

ADDED: Here is my first-time-using video.

CONGRATULATIONS @Aimless Ryan on your newborn PodDog!!! Great vids so far... Thanks for sharing! BTW: If I may suggest - pack a bit more herb and press-in ever so lightly for a bit denser pack... then draw SLOWLY. Also, do the same with the nylon Nong and get ready for another pleasant surprise! ENJOY for a long long time!!! Welcome to the pack - Aaaarf!!!!!

brandonflav

mastermind behind the great Vapor Caper
Congrats on 500 awesome pages @underdog & @underdogette :party:

Here's looking forward to the next 500 & beyond! :cheers:

500.jpg

Now it's time to celebrate!!! :science:

BoBX0wy.jpg

Awesome post SSVUN~YAH! How long did you have that one loaded up, patiently waiting to :ninja: in for post #12475? LOL, but I love it!

@Aimless Ryan Thanks for the vids; enjoy being part of the dog pound, hoping to fulfill my puppy dreams soon. "He's probably not going to make anymore of these... Yeah I do that to people."

Looks like I'm going to have to work on getting pup money together fast so I can jump on one of the banksia ones. Think it was a couple years ago I thought I remembered seeing some banksia logs from EU that made me drool. Too bad @underdog has a sensitivity to them, love how unique they look; pretty awesome of him to be willing to tough it out & make the few more.

Aimless Ryan

I've given my new friend a name: Missy. Because she's beautiful and unique (within unique), like Missy. She seems to understand me about how I try to understand her. She's hot. She's dark. She's smooth. She's good for me. Like Missy.

And I'm the biggest underdog there's ever been. But everything I know says she'll fit in real good here with me. Like Missy.

Short review: Missy blows away every other vape I own. I knew it the moment I met her, and I knew it again when I got to know her better, even though I wasn't playing her right. She told me what to do, and it saved us from a lot of bullshit miscommunication.

I already figured out why I was kinda using her wrong in the video. She may not have been fully heated up at that point, either. Regardless, I've been baked all day. Effortlessly. My vape station is about to become my Missy station. Because I may now have a useful closet for the SSV and Aromed that currently occupy space on my vape table.

Thanks @underdog and @underdogette. You have given me some relief I've needed for a long time. To me this is a great vape for anyone but is especially great from the perspective of a klutz who is prone to breaking important glass parts on vapes with important, fragile glass parts. From an artistic angle, Missy is perfect; everything I could have wanted or expected. This little girl is a gem.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Those Banksia pods look sweet but Banksia pods will be forever associated with being used as missiles during childhood rock wars & the like. Yes they do hurt when you get hit in the head by one :lol:. I can certainly see the attraction as they are so different & unique looking especially if you are outside Australia.

As the UD is a one hitter with the NonG's I have not needed to use my claisen or carbed adapters so it lowers the center of gravity as well & that provides substantial benefits to my vaping experience. With that fat S/S stem & some NonG's I see no reason you will need to be concerned with breakages @Aimless Ryan. The great thing with the UD is the nylon option & every user should have at least 1 unbreakable stem in their vape kit :2c:.

Aimless Ryan

Having slept [very well] on what I learned yesterday, I've already made another video of me and Missy, documenting our progress as a couple.

I'm blown away that this girl can take care of 0.05 g in three hits. I think the most efficient extraction rate I had achieved with any of my other three vapes would require more like ten hits with the same quantity of herbs. And that is with an Aromed mod I thought was very efficient.

I love how inhaled air from Missy is still very warm by the time it enters my mouth; hot even. That helps me detect when I've cleared out the stem at the end of a hit. I think it also does something psychological; like Pavlov's dog (pun absolutely not intended), it makes my mouth water, figuratively, in anticipation of getting what my unconscious brain knows is want I want.

Getting back to why this is such a practical vape for me as a habitual glass breaker (or crippled klutz): Even though there are some optional glass pieces (stems), these pieces aren't easily breakable. Partly because they're small and easily transportable in a pocket, but also because I will rarely need to transport them between my vape station and the kitchen sink. Conversely, I have to clean my Aromed glassware regularly, which is very awkward for me to transport and which is also very unbalanced when not held tightly in place by the Aromed body. Consequently, I broke two expensive herb holders and one more-expensive water filter over the first six months I owned it, and I always stress out over the likelihood that it will happen again. Well, used to.

underdog

Manufacturer
Having slept [very well] on what I learned yesterday, I've already made another video of me and Missy, documenting our progress as a couple.

I'm blown away that this girl can take care of 0.05 g in three hits. I think the most efficient extraction rate I had achieved with any of my other three vapes would require more like ten hits with the same quantity of herbs. And that is with an Aromed mod I thought was very efficient.

I love how inhaled air from Missy is still very warm by the time it enters my mouth; hot even. That helps me detect when I've cleared out the stem at the end of a hit. I think it also does something psychological; like Pavlov's dog (pun absolutely not intended), it makes my mouth water, figuratively, in anticipation of getting what my unconscious brain knows is want I want.

Getting back to why this is such a practical vape for me as a habitual glass breaker (or crippled klutz): Even though there are some optional glass pieces (stems), these pieces aren't easily breakable. Partly because they're small and easily transportable in a pocket, but also because I will rarely need to transport them between my vape station and the kitchen sink. Conversely, I have to clean my Aromed glassware regularly, which is very awkward for me to transport and which is also very unbalanced when not held tightly in place by the Aromed body. Consequently, I broke two expensive herb holders and one more-expensive water filter over the first six months I owned it, and I always stress out over the likelihood that it will happen again. Well, used to.

Awesome man, really glad to hear you're enjoying your Dog so much and are getting her trained up nice and quick! :tup:

CurryLeafTreehugger

So probably not strictly underdog related, but maybe underdog adjacent at least?

I went to pick up new herbal supplies today and lo and behold, yet again, they were intent on selling me CBD stuff.

I don't want CBD stuff. CBD doesn't do a thing for me that I can tell. I have a lot of doubts about their CBD creams and crap also. From what I've been able to find in the literature, a lot of the creams are actually acting as counter-irritants, which is great for arthritis and other types of joint pain, strained tendons, stuff like that, but totally ineffective for widespread unfocused non-localized pain as comes along with fibromyalgia. Might as well buy some Ben-Gay IMO. At any rate, I have no interest in the stuff and I don't enjoy having it crammed down my throat as if there is something wrong with me for rejecting it.

Sorry - actually I'm not sorry at all - but I ENJOY and seek out the psychoactive effects. Even if CBD cream were somehow magically effective for my non-localized pain, I'd STILL seek out and use the highest THC product I can find. (Actually, I do believe that IS actually what I DO do).

I'm sure there are lots of epileptic 8 year olds out there who are greatly helped by CBD oil, or tincture, or whatever the concoctions are. I fully support people having access to all of that that they feel will help them.

But *I* don't want it. So stop trying to push it off on me already!

OK. Vent over. My dog should be warmed up and raring to go about now, or pretty soon at least. Time to dip in to my new stash and get my freak on. LOL!

famineinthemind

For some reason the outlets in my house don't give me enough power to get my dog hot enough. Sure I can still vape, but it's quite thin. At my friends house his outlet makes me dog too hot to hold. When it's plugged in at my house I can hold it. Any solutions besides buying a vvps?

I've moved my screen closer, but it doesn't really help. I'm unable to get my herb brown/ dark brown. It stops giving my vapor at gold. But if I let the log sit on the stem for a while then take the hit I can get some more light vapor.

underdog

Manufacturer
For some reason the outlets in my house don't give me enough power to get my dog hot enough. Sure I can still vape, but it's quite thin. At my friends house his outlet makes me dog too hot to hold. When it's plugged in at my house I can hold it. Any solutions besides buying a vvps?

I've moved my screen closer, but it doesn't really help. I'm unable to get my herb brown/ dark brown. It stops giving my vapor at gold. But if I let the log sit on the stem for a while then take the hit I can get some more light vapor.

The line voltage at your place must be low for whatever reason, if you want to avoid a VVPS you might try a super inexpensive battery backup (UPS) like this one: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BGE70-Bac...pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460824627&sr=1-5&keywords=UPS

It should provide you with stable power of the appropriate voltage (hopefully, I haven't actually used one of these small ones). :2c:

Top Bottom