Underdog Log Vapes

shredder

Thanks for the mini review :) Glad to hear though reasurement with the wax idea. I was just worried it wouldn't get hot enough, and I don't know how far the dial on the temperature goes. But its not for me so that overall doesn't matter. haha. And yes I see you do own quite a few, very nice collection. :) Opps new alert, gotta go read it now LOL. Thanks again

In the interest of science, I cranked my dog up to 13, and wrapped some wax in organic cotton. I used the glass stem and enough cotton to fill up the bowl.

I got light vapor, enough to be buzzed, but not a complete extraction. I use this method with my ssv, but with better results. So it does work, but either I need more practice, or its marginal for wax. Not a deal breaker for me though, I have plenty of options.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
In the interest of science, I cranked my dog up to 13, and wrapped some wax in organic cotton. I used the glass stem and enough cotton to fill up the bowl.

I got light vapor, enough to be buzzed, but not a complete extraction. I use this method with my ssv, but with better results. So it does work, but either I need more practice, or its marginal for wax. Not a deal breaker for me though, I have plenty of options.

How long did you have it at 13v before hitting it?

underdog

Manufacturer
Ten or fifteen minutes I recon.

Hmm.. I'm not much of an expert on the concentrate thing but I've had better results that it sounds like you're experiencing. Maybe try letting it heat up to that level for 20-30 minutes instead, or leaving the stem on for 30 seconds first or going a little higher in voltage (maybe 13.5v). :science:

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I made an informational and am currently writing up the description hope it helps people in some way,
Here's the video,
Video transcript:
To start, you'll want to fold over a stainless steel mesh or screen to form a thin mat. Preferably no wider than an SS Tip.

Once formed, bend the mat to resemble a gripper to hold your wicking material. This time I went with Japanese Organic Cotton, but options like FC-2000 or ReadyXWick from my previous video could also be used. You only need a small amount of cotton when using it as your wicking material. Try not to overdo it as it will affect the airflow.

When combining the mesh and cotton I find it easiest to start with the gripper claws outward and close it in to trap the cotton. Once fully combined, place into the SS Tip with the cotton facing the inhale area.

You can place your dab on the screen and mate the Underdog to it as you inhale to pull the oils into the mesh and cotton. Alternatively, if you've been using your dog or have heat soaking your stem. You can attempt inhaling while applying your dab so it doesn't melt around the screen.

For those curious, I'm using a 15 volt power supply in comparison to the default. Which normally runs around 12 to 13 volts. There is a link in the description.

Video Description:
This is my first Informational, it is over vaporizing concentrates with an Underdog. Starting off I have another video of the Underdog with concentrates and ReadyXWick

http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN®-Switching-Supply-Adapter-100-240/dp/B00MUE6JXQ

If you want a dimmer, I have had good experiences with these models

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Controller-Wireless-Control-Dimmable/dp/B00MHKCTLE

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Light-Strip-Dimmer-Black/dp/B00RBXPDQU

Ask questions if you got any, there has been a lot of request in regards to me talking in my videos so this is my first step in that direction.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I made an informational and am currently writing up the description hope it helps people in some way,
Here's the video,
Video transcript:

Video Description:

Ask questions if you got any, there has been a lot of request in regards to me talking in my videos so this is my first step in that direction.
That was such an inspiring video!
I have 5 gram of wax to power out?
Wish I had your set up!

CBDFarm

QUIT.
Here's the video,
Video transcript:

Video Description:

Thanks buddy, great video and glad I got the convo started about wax in these beauties haha. Doesn't look like the biggest pulls but glad to know it's still doable. :)

shredder

Hmm.. I'm not much of an expert on the concentrate thing but I've had better results that it sounds like you're experiencing. Maybe try letting it heat up to that level for 20-30 minutes instead, or leaving the stem on for 30 seconds first or going a little higher in voltage (maybe 13.5v). :science:

Ya this ∆∆∆, and I moved the screen closer to the load, much better. Clouds in fact. 13V was almost too hot. I just needed more practice, lol.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Thanks buddy, great video and glad I got the convo started about wax in these beauties haha. Doesn't look like the biggest pulls but glad to know it's still doable. :)
Those were fast fowarded draws, no inhale was under 20 seconds and considering how quickly vapor came after the initial heat exchange its pretty solid. I didn't have a great spot for blowing vapor in my head so it just got blown into the background.

Also fast forwarded draws but my Instagram has a couple video of UD concentrate usage. The FTK can make it look airy but the Bottle Rocket shows production like a tube.

https://www.instagram.com/paytonpenn/

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Hello @underdog, @ataxian , @Stevenski , hello thread. Been Rec'd a log or UD vape by more than a few FCers. Instead of my wall of text:bang:, I'll shoot with the short questions, feel free to respond in any fashion you deem and TX. I just don't want to flood the thread with my ramblings just yet.:freak:

See pics of using the UD upside down. So this is OK to do for this unit. :shrug:It is a looser arrangement than some vapes. And I would like it upside down in an 18mm female connection. (My Pyrex Claisen)

Standard core <-> Air core. Pro's Con's. I know nothing of the actual internals, heat up method or airpath. Stainless steel parts?

What materials are used and being heated? any internal pics would be nice.

Special wax. Best application. Food safe alternatives. Mineral Oil and light colored wood?

Best of wood choice + Mini dog if too poor for full size option. Or wait. On a tight budget. but want 4/20 deal.

12v charger. Have ton of old ones lying around. Polarity an issue? Best electrical boost and temp options on a budget pref with least janky wire arrangement.

Like this one. ATM Any foodsafe wood.
Oak%20Austrailian%20Silky-800x800.jpg

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Feeling like Johnny fucking Appleseed but I plant UD vape seeds wherever I travel these days. Good to see you @CuckFumbustion but the short video series made by the lovely folks at Underdog should answer your questions better than I can in their videos or FAQ.

I have a Standard core but that was to do with Air Core availability & I know I will be getting another one so why not get a SC when I have the chance. Mini Dogs are only available to current owners due to lifespan etc.

If I was in the USA I would have purchased this custom already & been set for under $200 all in & you have a custom vape, custom matching Ed's stem & can order up to 3 x NonG's. TBH I can't understand how it is still for sale still as it is a real beauty.

Either that or keep an eye out for a 4/20 sale but my EQ has not been used since the dogs got let out. They are as cheap as George Costanza when it comes to consumption.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hello @underdog, @ataxian , @Stevenski , hello thread. Been Rec'd a log or UD vape by more than a few FCers. Instead of my wall of text:bang:, I'll shoot with the short questions, feel free to respond in any fashion you deem and TX. I just don't want to flood the thread with my ramblings just yet.:freak:

See pics of using the UD upside down. So this is OK to do for this unit. :shrug:It is a looser arrangement than some vapes. And I would like it upside down in an 18mm female connection. (My Pyrex Claisen)

Standard core <-> Air core. Pro's Con's. I know nothing of the actual internals, heat up method or airpath. Stainless steel parts?

What materials are used and being heated? any internal pics would be nice.

Special wax. Best application. Food safe alternatives. Mineral Oil and light colored wood?

Best of wood choice + Mini dog if too poor for full size option. Or wait. On a tight budget. but want 4/20 deal.

12v charger. Have ton of old ones lying around. Polarity an issue? Best electrical boost and temp options on a budget pref with least janky wire arrangement.

Like this one. ATM Any foodsafe wood.
Oak%20Austrailian%20Silky-800x800.jpg
Standard and air core are pretty much the same, function wise. Upside down in a 18mm connection is just fine. Don't want to leave it that way for hours straight though. It's a SS cartridge heater and that's the only thing in the airpath. Economical temp changes can be done by moving the screen closer or further from the heater. Also, draw speed and to cool it off you can use the provided extension cord. Wood choice is strictly up to you. Whatever catches your eye. They provide Underbutter to rub on a warm dog and massage into it giving fuller color and keeping the wood from being too dry. For power, 12v ac 1 or 2 amps preferred. More than 2 amps is ok as long as it's not crazy high. That's all I got. Hope it helps. Ask more if you need clarification.

underdog

Manufacturer
Welcome to the thread CuckFumbustion, I'll try and touch on your questions and I'm sure more/other people will probably chime in as well.

- It's ok to use any UD upside down or in any other orientation. Use is the keyword there, the vape shouldn't be stored (while on) in any position other than right side up.

- Standard Core vs Air Core. The Standard is our classic model and the Air is a newer model built for simplicity and ease of manufacture. I believe the Standard is a better option for softer woods (it exposes the wood to less heat). At some point we'll be taking the Standard out of production so I can work on redesigning it and during that time only Air Cores will be available. Hopefully I'll get to that this year but there isn't a set schedule. More info than you probably want in regards to the different models can be found on the website here: http://underdogvapes.com/faq#vapemodels

- Materials being heated. All the parts of the cores are stainless steel, the heating element is stainless steel and is welded directly to the core. The stainless steel is heated to full operating temperature and the wooden body is heated to a lesser degree by proximity to the core. There isn't any wiring or anything else in the air path, that's all in the lower half of the units and that is a low temperature area and is also sealed off from and by the core.

- Special wax? Not sure what you mean by this part. We include a wood wax (aka Underbutter) with the vapes which is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. It's about as food safe as possible, similar to what's sometimes used on cutting boards and butcher block.

- Minis. These are only for sale to existing UD owners and aren't meant to be a 'daily driver' vape. They have a much shorter lifespan than a regular Underdog and are meant as novelties (aka toys).

- Budget. The Vape Specials are our best deals other than our annual Birthday Sale in September and Holiday Sale in December. The 4/20 sale won't have anything priced lower than the standard Vape Specials.

- 12v power supplies. The Dogs do not require any particular polarity. As long as it has a 2.1mm x 5.5mm tip (the most common size) and is 12v (AC or DC) output at 1 amp or more, 2 amp is preferable to maximize the lifespan of the power supply.

I think I hit on all your questions, if not let us know and we'll try again. :peace::2c:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
One other thing to note @CuckFumbustion is that the UD comes with EVERYTHING you need to have a long & happy life walking the dog. The only optional extra would be a VVPS & they are fairly cheap & replacement screens & glass as the Nylon is as rugged as my former mother in law.

As the bossman @underdog pointed out the best you will do is $180 for an Air Core special but you never know what beauties will be available for sale & a new batch is being made up. Whether it is made of a standard wood or a special wood from @Snappo you will have a unique piece of functional beauty & keep things simple & mellow.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Amanda let me know a little earlier that my Banksia Pod Underdog is now on its way to Ohio. Even though I was pretty sure I wanted a simple cylinder shape, I think it's cool that they made two others, with different shapes. I assume that was largely to give me options, even though I think Amanda knew I was leaning toward simple. I thought about getting the one on the right, which I call Fish Dick, but I just couldn't turn down the simple cylinder. Plus I like the hole pattern of the cylinder better. Can't wait to try it out.

mqsimod.jpg

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Amanda let me know a little earlier that my Banksia Pod Underdog is now on its way to Ohio. Even though I was pretty sure I wanted a simple cylinder shape, I think it's cool that they made two others, with different shapes. I assume that was largely to give me options, even though I think Amanda knew I was leaning toward simple. I thought about getting the one on the right, which I call Fish Dick, but I just couldn't turn down the simple cylinder. Plus I like the hole pattern of the cylinder better. Can't wait to try it out.

mqsimod.jpg
Holey Moley! Those puppies pop with beauty, nice acquisition!

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I think I hit on all your questions, if not let us know and we'll try again. :peace::2c:
Yes and I'll be quick to ask more when I've absorbed more info. Plenty of videos. :popcorn:

So the current Standard core is a second version? It will be put out of production for future work on a Standard 'V3'. Also does the Air core weight less? Any power consumption different in
cold or outdoor environments? Can I take it on a hike?
We include a wood wax (aka Underbutter) with the vapes which is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil.
Beeswax and Mineral oil. I use mineral oil on chopping blocks and wooden utensils btw. Anything more about Underbutter?
The only optional extra would be a VVPS & they are fairly cheap & replacement screens & glass as the Nylon is as rugged as my former mother in law.
I am thinking rugged and battery and VVPS options. With rugged power options?

Has anybody made modded a mock cradle that powers their UD like an Arizer Solo? :hmm: Or is that what others want me to come up with? :D

Watched the lathe video. Thinking about rescuing a Lost dog Standard core, If I can get a UD on a budget.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Yes and I'll be quick to ask more when I've absorbed more info. Plenty of videos. :popcorn:

So the current Standard core is a second version? It will be put out of production for future work on a Standard 'V3'. Also does the Air core weight less? Any power consumption different in
cold or outdoor environments? Can I take it on a hike?

Beeswax and Mineral oil. I use mineral oil on chopping blocks and wooden utensils btw. Anything more about Underbutter?
I am thinking rugged and battery and VVPS options. With rugged power options?

Has anybody made modded a mock cradle that powers their UD like an Arizer Solo? :hmm: Or is that what others want me to come up with? :D

Watched the lathe video. Thinking about rescuing a Lost dog Standard core, If I can get a UD on a budget.
People have successfully used battery powered vvps's for hiking and 'portable' use. Links have been posted quite a few times recently for them. Cold weather will make it run a little colder so being able to boost voltage would be useful, I would think. What else would you like to know about Underbutter?

indicandescent

Dismembered Member
Most of you here now are surely aware, however I too can confirm that the legendary UD customer service is real. Since posting here a few days ago @underdogette has been in contact to discuss dog stuff and has been extremely pleasant to deal with. In the near future I will be joining the ranks of you satisfied customers.

It is pretty silly how excited I am to complete the ordering process and get my dog. Even if its just a few days, the wait might kill me! Sounds hyperbolic but its at least a bit true since my only other vape is a MFLB and the batteries are nearly dead, so I've been combusting the past several months. Super looking forward to putting the lighter down and giving my lungs a rest.

I thought I knew more or less what I wanted from an UD log aesthetically, but what I ended up ordering is not what I expected. You know that feeling when a new refresh hits and you take a look at everything, drool a bit, and usually one or two pieces really jump out at you? Yeah... so basically, I feel extremely lucky to have the opportunuity to pick up this gorgeous log that I had no idea I totally needed until quite recently. I'll definitely post a picture once I receive it!

I thought about getting the one on the right, which I call Fish Dick, but I just couldn't turn down the simple cylinder. Plus I like the hole pattern of the cylinder better. Can't wait to try it out.

mqsimod.jpg

Obviously there was no bad choice to be made here, but yeah, that cylinder is gorgeous, think I would have made the same pick. Nice!

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
@underdog Is DC PWM ok for dimming the dogs? I'm checking out this $5 RF remote dimmer, and am curious if it may work with the dogs? Pretty sweet presets on it, with 25% power for aromatherapy, 50% for vape standby mode, and 100% for :razz: mode. Possibly attach a voltmeter inline. What do you think?
Hey, thats the one I have. 50% and 25% didnt scale well when dimming. The meters don't always correlate the voltage accordingly.

But for those basic needs it may work out for you.

Melting Pot

Sick & Twisted
Huh? I had suggested something like that previously but someone had replied that the UD dimmer was a PWM dimmer and as such the voltage would be constant even though the power would be variable due to the pulsed current. It sounded like that would be right .....but I guess that the DMM readings do read a variable voltage after all.
Sorry took so long to respond.
Not sure about all the technical but my stock ps reads 12.3. grabed a dimmer and a bigger PS unleash the beast at 12.8
If @underdog sells dimmer to dim stock ps im sure it's good.

underdog

Manufacturer
@underdog Is DC PWM ok for dimming the dogs? I'm checking out this $5 RF remote dimmer, and am curious if it may work with the dogs? Pretty sweet presets on it, with 25% power for aromatherapy, 50% for vape standby mode, and 100% for :razz: mode. Possibly attach a voltmeter inline. What do you think?

Yeah DC PWM is the way to go, the only thing better is a full blown VVPS. As far as that particular one, I have an identical looking one I got from Amazon and it works just fine. The presets aren't as useful (at least for me) as you might expect (scaling like paytonpenn said) but I found a good spot for me was maybe 10 'clicks' down from 100%. I figure that's probably the worse thing about that one is it's lack of any physical/visual identifier of what power level it's at. If it had a little LED gauge or something I'd buy them by the palate load for you guys. :cool:

Top Bottom