TV Shows - General Discussion

chimpybits

Glad to see the pressure worked:

Obviously Bill Maher is a right wing hack and relishes the chance to stick it to labor.
Exactly - the pressure worked. Not much of an apology imo. Why not just say I was wrong and I’m sorry? Probably because she doesn’t feel so. So, instead the generic apology to anyone I may have hurt. That could be said about anything and everything she does in the limelight. Meaningless, though revealing. Still, a good decision. :tup:

“I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over. I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt”

ps. Thanks Shit Snacks for that. J Hamm just nailed it.

Last edited:

florduh

I didn't expect that. I do like that he rationalized this is the most asinine way. Never change, Bill you weirdo.

I agree this was genuinely shocking. Mainly because his buddies on Fox News characterized Drew Barrymore deciding not to scab as "giving in to the Woke Mob". I guess it's "woke" for workers to want to keep enough of the profits their labor generates to afford rent.

I also don't know if Maher is being malicious, or is genuinely dumb. The studio heads explicitly said they want to starve writers out. They explicitly said they wanted writers to lose their apartments or houses. That's why negotiations weren't happening. Using that dynamic as an excuse to scab is fuckin wild.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes technically that article was about rumors but it was pretty clear the studios purposefully planted those rumors and that article to try and scare the actors out of striking based on the timing... Of course it didn't work, they even tried to block protesters illegally cutting trees and using fake construction to block sidewalks attacking protester safety essentially... Meanwhile studio executives are dismayed how they've been villainized, I mean what did they expect when they hoard literally all the millions??? Classic unsympathetic villains that we cannot wait to see destroyed...

I guess it's "woke" for workers to want to keep enough of the profits their labor generates to afford rent.

There was a John Oliver joke about this, all the anti-woke nonsense conflating when they mean anti-progress and pro-racism... the definition of woke is being aware of the systematic oppression of minorities and perpetual injustices, so anyone who would be against that just demonstrates that person to be the literal problem ruining the world for everyone else (as he said "it is a hell of a thing to say you are against")

florduh

Yes technically that article was about rumors but it was pretty clear the studios purposefully planted those rumors and that article to try and scare the actors out of striking based on the timing...

I don't know if he was just guessing or has inside info, but Ron Perlman seems to think Bob Iger was the guy who wanted writers to lose their homes.

Even if Iger isn't the guy who said it...there was talk about him running for President after he leaves Disney once and for all. I think the strike has killed that possibility. Thankfully.

There was a John Oliver joke about this, all the anti-woke nonsense conflating when they mean anti-progress and pro-racism... the definition of woke is being aware of the systematic oppression of minorities and perpetual injustices, so anyone who would be against that just demonstrates that person to be the literal problem ruining the world for everyone else (as he said "it is a hell of a thing to say you are against")

LOL, similarly a certain set of people will accuse you of "virtue signalling" if you stand up for minorities. I always think, so....you agree? That's a virtuous thing to do? And wouldn't the anti-wokeness posturing be "vice signalling"? In other words, virtue signalling to racists and homophobes?

Honestly though, if workers striking for better wages and working conditions is "woke", the term is now totally meaningless.

Shit Snacks

Haha yeah buzz words always become meaningless really... Yeah Iger really sucks, almost as much as Zaslav, most point to him as the one who just lectured the writers' negotiating committee at the last sit down instead of actually negotiating, just gave another take it or leave it offer and then leaked it to the press so WGA members might try to force a vote (the other rumors pointed to Netflix execs although it conflicts with other rumors that said they might be pushing studios to make a deal although I could also see them doing the opposite since their business model is unique anyway) and speaking of Ron Perlman, he was amazing as voice of Optimus Primal even if the movie was a bit disappointing (not enough Beast Wars which is a TV ref too so on topic lol that show was next level)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Man, I wish they'd reboot this show... the 90s RULED....!:

Tom Waits - Fishing With John, Episode 2 (1991)
Tom Waits - Fishing With John, Episode 2, 1991 John Lurie and Waits fish for red snapper in Jamaica. Tom periodically becomes grumpy. A game of cards on dry land makes Tom feel much better. Waits catches a fish and puts it in his pants.

Narrated by Robb Webb

joupotu

Daniel Day Lewis, retired. But was one of my fave actors.
But he could never do justice to AI. He doesn't have the passion for it.
I had said Lewis, but it's not. I meant to say, Tom Hardy. Sorry.

PS: I wish the strike would settle.

florduh

Most of the Disney+ Star Wars shows have been absolute garbage. But about 1 year ago today, they released a banger.

F6kOCSDWsAA8_ZO

A steel worker setting off an uprising against Space Fascists by picking up a brick pressed from the ashes of a dead Revolutionary and knocking the fucking brains out of a Space Cop is still some of the coolest shit I've ever seen on TV. Can't believe this was put out by the Disney Corporation.

They even made the Space Gestapo look like American riot police.

FZFo69rXEAAqHhn

Shit Snacks

Most of the Disney+ Star Wars shows have been absolute garbage. But about 1 year ago today, they released a banger.

F6kOCSDWsAA8_ZO

A steel worker setting off an uprising against Space Fascists by picking up a brick pressed from the ashes of a dead Revolutionary and knocking the fucking brains out of a Space Cop is still some of the coolest shit I've ever seen on TV. Can't believe this was put out by the Disney Corporation.

They even made the Space Gestapo look like American riot police.

FZFo69rXEAAqHhn

Even so I actually enjoy the mandalorian more though, andor had felt pretty dull!

florduh

Even so I actually enjoy the mandalorian more though, andor had felt pretty dull!

I liked season 1 of Mandalorian a lot! Maybe the second season too? But at some point in fell off real hard for me. I think even before they rolled out the horrific CGI young Mark Hamill.

Andor started slow for me too. And it wasn't helped by its weird episode format where every story was a 3 episode arc but they released individual episodes weekly. It would've been better received if they released 3 at a time.

By the end of it though it ended up being by favorite Star War since the 80's! Probably because it was less of a Star Wars show, and more of a spy thriller.

Also, good news!

F61kJJ3aUAAQPbf

Shit Snacks

Yes I just saw that news too!

I wouldn't have wanted to binge it either way, yeah Mando is always hit or miss depending on the episode too, unintentionally laughable

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Summary of the tentative WGA agreement. What I find kind of funny is...these are all concessions people like Bob Iger claimed were IMPOSSIBLE and would bankrupt them 5 months ago.

This just proves definitively that Studio Executives are all brazen liars and this entire debacle was completely their fault. I'm happy the WGA won an excellent contract, but can't forgive the amount of pain the Studios chose to put regular working class people through just to see if they could get away with it.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Summary of the tentative WGA agreement. What I find kind of funny is...these are all concessions people like Bob Iger claimed were IMPOSSIBLE and would bankrupt them 5 months ago.

This just proves definitively that Studio Executives are all brazen liars and this entire debacle was completely their fault. I'm happy the WGA won an excellent contract, but can't forgive the amount of pain the Studios chose to put regular working class people through just to see if they could get away with it.

I suspect that the writers will all keep the long memory of what complete fucking ghouls the studio execs are.

I would not be surprised if we don't see more tricks from them before the SAG strike is over.

florduh

I suspect that the writers will all keep the long memory of what complete fucking ghouls the studio execs are.

I'm sure. Also IATSE and all the crew members who couldn't work for months. Plus all the associated workers who depend on productions, like catering. None of them could work all because Studios believed they could starve people out. At a time when rent in LA has risen to comical levels.

I would not be surprised if we don't see more tricks from them before the SAG strike is over.

Yeah. They were trying to pull the whole AI, "we can use an actor's image in perpetuity" shit. I've heard VFX workers are starting to unionize though which would help. Honestly, the WGA victory is a great advertisement for unionization. "United we bargain, divided we beg".

florduh

The guy saying Hollywood is "too gay" now:

2ac6bae09a81bc5fb2ada1071e74295c--kevin-sorbo-gay-art.jpg

Nevertheless, in recent years, he has actively championed Christian principles and conservative viewpoints, which he claims have resulted in his being “canceled”.

Brother....you haven't worked in 20 years. Does the Woke Mind Virus have a time machine?

He hit the lottery during a brief period when B-Level syndicated shows were having a heyday. That time passed. Nothing to do with "wokeness". He's just a shitty actor.

The talentless hack to Right Wing Grifter pipeline remains undefeated.

Andrew Breitbart, Steve Bannon, Ben Shapiro...all failed screenwriters who found an easier grift.

florduh

I dunno how I slept on this but Gen V is fantastic.

It's probably not for everyone. Incredibly graphic. But I swear the whole "Vought Cinematic Universe" was created by the Algorithm to engage literally all of my taste clusters.

Along with The Boys I don't know if any other shows do a better job at holding up a mirror to our absurd, fucked up society.

Shit Snacks

I must've totally missed that show. Looks up my alley though so thanks for the rec!

Oh, yeah, it is also on Amazon, but animated, it is also produced by Point Grey just like the Boys shows (that is Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg's company) although different comic book creator, both are created by very prominent prolific artists who have a lot of other hit series adapted into TV shows... Boys had an animated anthology on Amazon called Diabolical too, where each episode is written and animated by a different team

Top Bottom