TV Shows - General Discussion

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

So Chuck became available here on Prime and it's pretty great! I never watched it back then because somehow I confused it with dexter lol which I couldn't be bothered to keep watching. But this Chuck is off to a good start. It walks that action/comedy line really well, the humor and jokes, even when outlandish, don't drag down the thrill of the story/ies. I guess because it sorta lays it on thick on all fronts, with incredible fighting scenes, corny romantic music that starts playing when Chuck and Sarah share a scene of love yet to be found (or not, I'm stil early in), etc. Casey is my favorite character for now I think, I'm laughing my ass off because of his behavior.

badbee

I recently finished watching Jack Ryan s3 on Amazon and really enjoyed it. It's an old fashioned spy and action story that Tom Clancy would have approved of. Krasinski does a great job and the plot line is much better than season 2 which was a little cheesy.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
So Chuck became available here on Prime and it's pretty great! I never watched it back then because somehow I confused it with dexter lol which I couldn't be bothered to keep watching. But this Chuck is off to a good start. It walks that action/comedy line really well, the humor and jokes, even when outlandish, don't drag down the thrill of the story/ies. I guess because it sorta lays it on thick on all fronts, with incredible fighting scenes, corny romantic music that starts playing when Chuck and Sarah share a scene of love yet to be found (or not, I'm stil early in), etc. Casey is my favorite character for now I think, I'm laughing my ass off because of his behavior.

Haha I never wanted to watch Dexter, but I got into Chuck watching live TV mid season 2 and then caught up and watched all through, there are a lot of ups and downs (they thought they were going to be canceled several times and there are a lot of isolated chapters and seasons), but it's consistently a very fun procedural TV action comedy, all together the characters and entire story works well! Enjoy :tup:

joupotu

I'm a late night talk fan, Kimmel's no. one, then Colbert, then maybe
seth meyers, then I kinda like bill maher, but he's a bit too libertarian for me.
but no Fallon, or that Brit dude, i forget his name. How's that spin w/y'all?

I think Jimmy Kimmel's probably the best talk show host of them all. And
I even remember Jack Paar. And I watched Carson with my mom every
night for decades. Back in the early 80s, I thot Letterman was pretty darn
good, altho he's a bigger idiot than almost all of them, except Fallon.
I've seen Letterman bleed about a half dozen times on his show, from
events ranging from a German shepard biting his face, to a guy whose
hands were just shaking who gave Dave a shave, w/a straight razor. Only
an idiot would've got his face that close to a strange dog, or let a shakey,
nervous barber continue to shave. Amazingly stupid guy, Dave is, but I still
like the guy. I think, though stupid, he has a good heart, is why i like him.

Remember Jimmy Kimmel cut tip of his finger off cooking at home, and Fallon
almost ripped his finger off at home. What's w/these guys bleeding allatime?

CANtalk

True Detective Season 1 is the best show I've seen on TV. Heavy stuff, absolutely phenomenal & engrossing. Rated 99% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm just finishing it again & enjoying the fan internet history. Must watch recommended. And it's still being talked about, enjoy

There's lots of TD pop culture related content, I'll share a few elsewhere on FC and link back here, cheers

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

True Detective Season 1 is the best show I've seen on TV. Absolutely phenomenal & engrossing. I'm just finishing it again & enjoying the fan internet history. Must watch recommended. And it's still being talked about, enjoy

There's lots of TD pop culture related content, I'll share a few elsewhere on FC and link back here, cheers

Way back when it was new, but complete, I tried to watch it and had the power go out, hours later when it came back and I went to continue, I then fell asleep during... Was so unengaged that I never ended up trying to watch it again lol years later in another state a roommate said we had to watch it and we had made plans but they eventually moved back east and I remained unexposed as it was hard to find the time with so much other TV to watch! Anyway since I am almost done finally catching up on Fargo, probably is time to turn my attention back to this, especially as there was also a recent season and another new season being made now just like Fargo.... Thanks for the reminder!

CANtalk

Way back when it was new, but complete, I tried to watch it and had the power go out, hours later when it came back and I went to continue, I then fell asleep during... Was so unengaged that I never ended up trying to watch it again lol years later in another state a roommate said we had to watch it and we had made plans but they eventually moved back east and I remained unexposed as it was hard to find the time with so much other TV to watch! Anyway since I am almost done finally catching up on Fargo, probably is time to turn my attention back to this, especially as there was also a recent season and another new season being made now just like Fargo.... Thanks for the reminder!
Thx. And thx for sharing the back story, I love the FC comradery and sharing stuff :tup:.

I recommend watching the show at higher volume to understand all dialog (re-watch scenes if necessary) and only 1-2 episodes a day. No need to binge, give the content some time to process over 4-8 days & not high if possible. Daily vapers can watch first & then vape after while processing. The sow is as deep as you want to go, often intense. All dialog is significant, even important. Same thing for visuals, content, pace, etc. There are many levels to enjoy so cheers.

Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey here have the best chemistry I've seen on the screen. The story & presentation is a fascination look at relationships & the life condition. TD is widely considered both Woody & Matt's peak for acting & role, fascinating to watch. Amazing performances, especially considering their decades long best friendship.

And watch out for one of the longest uncut takes ever done in episode 4, it's renowned, intense & award winning.

Let us know what u think & enjoy

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

I recommend watching the show at higher volume to understand all dialog (re-watch scenes if necessary) and only 1-2 episodes a day. No need to binge, give the content some time to process over 4-8 days & not high if possible. Daily vapers can watch first & then vape after while processing. True Detective is deep, often intense. All dialog is significant, even important. Same thing for visuals, content, pace, etc. There are many levels to enjoy so cheers.

Oh, I mean I could throw on the subtitles, I absorb everything in a show pretty well the way I focus my attention, absolutely going to be faving the entire time though, don't even haha but yeah would not be a binge, especially with the episodes that long, at most two at a time sometimes probably... And I do like watching week to week but random days at varying times sometimes less than a week apart etc. Rotating with a variety of other shows (and sometimes also stacking some similar ones together)

one of the longest uncut takes ever done

Ah that has become a pretty common thing in some high-end TV episodes now!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: CANtalk
True Detective season 1 is excellent stuff. Shame about season 2 being absolutely dreadful; I couldn't finish that one. Season 3 was decent. I heard they were doing a 4th season with Jodie Foster? Could be interesting.

Speaking of HBO, I'm very excited for The Last of Us premiere this weekend. The early reviews have been glowing. I'm a massive fan of the video game series so this will be fun.

Shit Snacks

True Detective season 1 is excellent stuff. Shame about season 2 being absolutely dreadful; I couldn't finish that one. Season 3 was decent. I heard they were doing a 4th season with Jodie Foster? Could be interesting.

Yeah, fourth season is also from completely different creative team now, hence the new subtitle "True Detective: Night Country" is helmed by Barry Jenkins and Issa López, original creator Nic Pizzolatto also had Cary Jo Fukunaga as director on Season 1 (and had different directors for S2&S3 too)

florduh

There's so little truth in advertising these days. But when they say "It's not TV....it's HBO", I think they're right. HBO's top tier series are always a cut above the competition.

On Succession last night, they were able to tell an entire story with one simple shot. More like the best cinema than a TV episode.

FtUX6E7XsAM2vla

There's so little truth in advertising these days. But when they say "It's not TV....it's HBO", I think they're right. HBO's top tier series are always a cut above the competition.

On Succession last night, they were able to tell an entire story with one simple shot. More like the best cinema than a TV episode.

FtUX6E7XsAM2vla

Succession last night was incredible TV. What an awesome show.

letter never sent,
Reactions: florduh

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Oh shit, Succession is back? It's kinda perverse, watching a bunch of human parasites ! :lol:

HBO definitely got the quality---- a huge shame about how they dropped the ball with Game of Thrones though.

Haze Mister,

Madtater

We are waiting for the episodes to build up for that until me and the weef start the new season.

Currently we are watching ‘You’ on netflix. Pretty good show if you can get past all the lovey dovey kissy bullshit.

florduh

Succession last night was incredible TV. What an awesome show.
Oh shit, Succession is back? It's kinda perverse, watching a bunch of human parasites ! :lol:

That show has the amazing ability to make me feel empathy and compassion for some of the worst people on earth.

Really glad they're ending it with 4 seasons. And after last night I have faith they'll stick the landing (unlike GOT).

Last edited:
florduh,
  • Haha
Reactions: Madtater

Madtater

That show has the amazing ability to make me feel empathy and compassion for some of the worst people on earth.

Really glad they're ending it with 4 seasons. And after last night I have faith they'll stick the landing (unlike GOT).
Have you noticed that hbo fucks up the endings to most of their shows?

I cant name one that was well done where i said “that was awesome!”.

I hope they dont do it with house of the dragon…….

florduh

I hope they dont do it with house of the dragon…….

You're not wrong. Seems to be a problem with most networks.

The only HBO shows I can think of that had a good ending are 6 Feet Under (old one) and The Leftovers (super underrated show). Didn't hate the Veep ending either.

They probably shoulda left Westworld as a limited series because that first season was still one of the best, tightest seasons of TV I've seen.

Madtater

The only HBO shows I can think of that had a good ending are 6 Feet Under (old one) and The Leftovers (super underrated show). Didn't hate the Veep ending either.

They probably shoulda left Westworld as a limited series because that first season was still one of the best, tightest seasons of TV I've seen.
I agree on all points. Westworld first and second season were good (first better than the second). But they should have just ended it after the second. It would have made more sense.

florduh

I agree on all points. Westworld first and second season were good (first better than the second). But they should have just ended it after the second. It would have made more sense.

I totally forgot about how the 2nd season of Westworld ended. You're right. It was a good season, just not as good as the first. And it tied everything together in a nice "happy" ending.

I'm a fan of limiting how long these shows go on too. The longer it drags on, the harder it is to stick the landing. Breaking Bad made it work. But most don't

Shit Snacks

I caught up on the first two episodes of succession yesterday, always going at own pace... Haven't started the new season of Perry Mason yet, much better stuff on Apple now, HBO lost its halo... And new warner discovery is killing the company

Currently we are watching ‘You’ on netflix. Pretty good show if you can get past all the lovey dovey kissy bullshit.

So you have no trouble with all the murder and psychopathy?? LOL

I mean, the way shows are made, they do not have full power of that at all... I thought Silicon Valley and Veep had great endings personally

Yeah there are different opinions on every show ending on every network lol and there are a variety of reasons they were done the way they were too... It has always been this way?

Westworld was planned to close everything out with a fifth season that never happened because it was too expensive and the ratings weren't there for the new company so they sold the existing seasons to ad supported streaming services, it's not even on HBO anymore haha

WW creators have a deal at Amazon now, I am four episodes into their The Peripheral and it is just so slow to get into lol they're also doing a show based on the game Fallout for them...

I am more into Donald Glover's stuff on Amazon though, Swarm seems like a trip, and he is doing a new Mr and Mrs Smith

florduh

I caught up on the first two episodes of succession yesterday, always going at own pace

I'd watch the third asap to avoid getting spoiled, lol.

Westworld was planned to close everything out with a fifth season that never happened because it was too expensive and the ratings weren't there for the new company so they sold the existing seasons to ad supported streaming services, it's not even on HBO anymore haha

Well shit, now I can't watch the fourth season? I heard it was better than the 3rd. I didn't even hate the 3rd season it was just a totally different show.

they're also doing a show based on the game Fallout for them...

they are???

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF by Giphy QA

This thread and talking about series endings reminded me. LOST, gets a lot of shit for their ending. But part of the LOST team made Leftovers on HBO. It's kind of like premium cable LOST. And they made a much tighter show by realizing you don't need to explain every mystery.

It's more or less about "The Rapture" happening. 2% of the population suddenly disappears. Everyone else is a "Leftover". Though this doesn't seem to be a biblical rapture. Gary Busey gets raptured while the Pope doesn't, for example.

I totally forgot Rava from Succession is in it, lol.

Shit Snacks

I'd watch the third asap to avoid getting spoiled, lol.

Haha thanks I am usually pretty good at that, what can you do in this world, we'll see... Haven't been able to start the second season of yellowjackets yet and so far safe...

Well shit, now I can't watch the fourth season? I heard it was better than the 3rd. I didn't even hate the 3rd season it was just a totally different show.

Sorry for the confusion, the fourth season correct is no longer available on HBO nor is any of it lol they struck a deal for it to air with ads on tubi and Roku, not sure if it is already up there though I think it is?? I thought they would work out a deal at Amazon freevee since the creators have their new shows at Amazon but I guess not lol

Yeah honestly each season is a different show sort of? Except characters and themes continue, they do like to play with chronology and manipulative storytelling, once you accept that it can be entertaining although it is useful to watch recap videos so you don't miss little plot lines etc.

What I actually really liked about the third season, was watching the documentaries after each episode, for the fourth season as well, showing how they filmed and built all these crazy things in this futuristic world... Overall the story kept me engaged enough and I would have been interested to see how they were planning to wrap it all up, oh well!

they are???

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF by Giphy QA

Haha yes I believe that will be there next show to premiere on the platform although who knows exactly how much longer that will take, always so much in development everywhere!

This thread and talking about series endings reminded me. LOST, gets a lot of shit for their ending. But part of the LOST team made Leftovers on HBO. It's kind of like premium cable LOST. And they made a much tighter show by realizing you don't need to explain every mystery.

So, that's Damon Lindelof yeah he also did the sequalized Watchmen series on HBO which was great, but do prefers the other guy Carlton Cuse for his work although they both have some good stuff and misses as well lol while there are plenty of other writers and producers from Lost who have gone on to mixed results hehe

Lost is the show that got me into watching hour-long drama serialized TV instead of just sitcoms, it had every genre all in one, I actually think the finale is fine because it all ties to the characters and that's what they meant to be important, almost all of the mysteries are actually answered throughout the series if you are watching closely and read about everything obsessively lol but the core explanation is some magic and spiritualism tied to human connection amidst diverging experience as the meaning of life... A lot of things end up open to reputation and sometimes that's intentional, but often it leads to misinterpretation depending on the viewer, this is the power of the creative mediums, you have artist intent and it becomes something more depending on who is absorbing it and interpreting it for themselves etc.

Yeah mystery box shows are a certain type and many try to emulate lost to varying success, but there was more to that show, so the best ones have emphasis on character and general world building vibes, you know??

It's more or less about "The Rapture" happening. 2% of the population suddenly disappears. Everyone else is a "Leftover". Though this doesn't seem to be a biblical rapture. Gary Busey gets raptured while the Pope doesn't, for example.

I totally forgot Rava from Succession is in it, lol.

Haha yeah that one was based on a book too, I've heard mixed things although really great things ultimately overall and especially about the final season... Except being such a downer lol hard to get motivated to watch something like that honestly, but someday I hope to! There's just always too much TV and keeps getting worse...

Shit Snacks,
  • Love
Top Bottom