• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Triton Oil Vaporization System

Gazaam

I don't think a heatsink is necessary but a couple times it has gotten quite warm when trying to get the last of my oil out of a 1701

Yes, mine too. It got a bit too hot to touch and I when that happens the vapor is quite hot and dry as well. The heat sink is a good idea, or maybe a small bubbler? Never used either myself. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

What is the best heat sink and bubbler for this unit?

Gazaam,

Gazaam

I'm talking about the gold piece on the bottom of the base (not the gold piece at the bottom of the coils). Mine spins freely, I'm hoping it's not faulty and breaks down the road.

If you are talking about the little gold disk on the bottom of the base unit, on my device it is firmly embedded in the center of the 510 threads, and is completely stationary. Might want to contact W9 and see what they have to say.

Gazaam,

Gazaam

I've been using my Triton for about 10 days now. So far I've primarily been using the quartz 1701. I'm attracted to the quartz because it's probably more "clean" and the least likely material to leach anything into the goodies in the cup. I've observed a couple of issues with it.

First, when the small retaining ring is screwed into the top of the atty, you have to be really careful not to tighten it. It should have just a tiny bit of rattle when you shake it. Otherwise, when you apply heat and the quartz expands, little bits of the top lip of it can chip off. I also had a problem with the quartz fracturing the ceramic heating element, again from strong expansion of the cup when heated. So, Scientific, if you are listening, you might want to consider redesigning the retaining ring so it has a bit of a spring effect when it is tightened to allow for some thermal expansion.

Second, the quartz does not heat evenly. Heat is only applied from the bottom. From the burn pattern I have seen, the center of the bottom surface of the dish gets heated more. There is a lovely little circular patch of scorched oil right in the center, and there is still a fair bit of good oil in a ring around the outside. When you hit it, the spot in the middle heats up way more than the oil ring at the edge so you you get a pretty dry hit with only a minimal contribution from the good oil. And how can you the retrieve material that's still good? I can't figure out a way to do it, can any of you folks? So for me anyway, shrugging my shoulders and losing 25% or more of my load every time I clean out the cup is unacceptable.

From a thermal point of view, this heat pattern makes total sense. The outside edge of the bottom of the cup is where the walls of the cylinder are attached, so the heat from the ceramic coil is heating a whole column of mass, whatever the height of the cup is. Whereas everywhere else, the coil is only heating about a millimeter or so, whatever the thickness of the bottom is. So there is a radial heat gradient across the bottom surface of the cup and that explains the circular burn patch.

The magnitude of the heat gradient is magnified because the cylinder wall is the only surface that dissipates heat, so the cylinder walls are sucking heat energy from from the bottom around its circumference.

You might want to consider using pyrex instead of quartz which will probably solve the issue of the chipped rim. Also, the preferred method for heating glass vessels is either through convection heating or radiant heating. And NOT conduction heating. (A) With conduction heating, you have to heat up the vessel material first which takes time and consumes power, whereas with radiative heating, most of the heat energy passes right through the glass and heats the material directly. Very clean. (B) Glass and glass-like substances are easily strained from the sudden, localized heating characteristic of conduction heating (i.e. a hot stove element). I've learned this the hard way over the years, both in the lab and the kitchen. Putting a glass vessel on an electric stove element (conduction heating) is a recipe for disaster.

Conduction heating is what you're using now. The only quick work-around is to create a perfect heat couple between the ceramic heater and the quartz bottom surface. A very thin coating of mineral oil on the top surface of the ceramic heater? Or perhaps thermal coupling paste used in PCs? However, I suggest you consider switching to radiant heating. You simply remove the top layer of the ceramic coil so that the hot wires are directly beneath the bottom of the quartz dish, but separated by a small amount, maybe 2 mm. Most of the heat will be in very long wavelengths way below human visibility but they should get through the bottom surface of the vessel just fine.

Now about that pesky hot spot LOL. A good start would be to insulate the cylinder side wall. The device gets pretty hot, and is hemorrhaging heat energy. That should increase battery life for end users. Just as important, all that heat comes from the outer edge of the bottom surface. So insulation should decrease the magnitude of the heat gradient across the bottom surface.

It should be possible to design and wind a coil whose heat foot print is the inverse of the heat gradient.

Last, the whole issue will essentially go away if you could embed a coil around the side wall.

For now I have switched to the titanium cup which appears to be distributing the heat much more evenly.

I hope this is of some value to you in your efforts. You guys are doing a great job already and the Triton OS is head and shoulders above anything else on the market.

Cheers!

Last edited:

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
Agreed, top directional flow + bucket should be closest approximation of rig-style banger
I think the sales would have been at least tripple if it could sell at $50 - $60
price point with the 1701 qyartz or Ti installed.
I would have bought two easily, I like to leave a great atty on its own mod.
Instead I bought 3 Sai's, one for a friend to get him off oil carts, lol.

Samson

Still looking forward to a lower cost option. In the meantime if you're looking for a solid alternative that is a bit cheaper you may want to check out the AVS Molecule. Loads of great reviews on reddit and positive thread on FC now as well. I just ordered one and there's a 25% off coupon currently available on the site. They also have a lot of cool options/accessories and are very active and responsive.

https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/products/molecule-rebuildable-dab-atomizer

Quint

Still looking forward to a lower cost option. In the meantime if you're looking for a solid alternative that is a bit cheaper you may want to check out the AVS Molecule. Loads of great reviews on reddit and positive thread on FC now as well. I just ordered one and there's a 25% off coupon currently available on the site. They also have a lot of cool options/accessories and are very active and responsive.

https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/products/molecule-rebuildable-dab-atomizer

How is that even remotely in the same league? Stainless coil? Fuck that.

Gazaam

Yes, it appears the concentrate is contained and does not come in contact with the stainless coil. However, see my comments above about the thermal issues related to heating a material in a quartz bucket from underneath. The coil in the pic of this device appears to be really heavy duty, which is a good thing. Hopefully it will heat the bottom surface evenly and avoid hotspots.

Gazaam,

Quint

Coil or Quartz Bucket...

It's for a vastly different crowd. It's like going into a premium sports car forum and posting about an economy sedan. First of all, stainless is gross for concentrates. You get one hit before you get that sour metallic taste. So that's a total wash.

The bucket system would be interesting except for the fact that the holes around where the wires go into the base look wonky as hell. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1175/1368/products/DSC_0292_3_2048x.jpg?v=1539523131, it looks like it's plated or coated or something? It almost looks like a piece is about to flake off. No freaking thanks.

If you want to risk your health to save a few bucks then sure, buy from some company with a 90 day warranty. Also lmfao, "We accept warranty claims up to 30 days."
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/pages/terms-and-conditions

Quint,

Samson

Sorry I should have clarified. You can dab on the coil itself which is in a quartz bucket or you can go coil-less by using a second bucket in the first bucket.

20181006050837_2048x.jpg

To be completely honest I ordered my unit last week and haven't received it yet. I've done extensive research and this device is getting an inordinate amount of hype and reviews (simply check reddit or the thread on FC). So I can't vouch for it yet personally but would be happy to in the Molecule thread in 1-2 weeks.

Only reason I posted about it here is because I wanted to get the triton but didn't want to shell out $99 for all the coils and what not and since I haven't seen any budging on the price in weeks I ended up looking for an alternative and was surprised to see the molecule get seemingly even better reviews than the triton. They are obviously not completely comparable but you get the point...

Will still consider the triton if it gets sold in a different package and continues to get positive reviews, especially if the herc coil is a success.

Keep in mind the Molecule is pretty small and pairs well with the evic basic so its great when you need extra stealth.

Gazaam

Well, all you Triton OS users, now that you have had a chance to use it for a couple of months, what do you think? Have you been having issues with hotspots on the bottom of the quartz and titanium buckets? When you hit the power, the center heats up first and the oil is driven away from the center and up the sides of the walls, where it is cooler. The result is a hot dry spot in the center of the bottom of the bucket. Terrible dry hits. Then when you take your finger off the trigger, the oil migrates back to the bottom. I have been using it with the mouthpiece off, so I can swish the hot oil around while it is heating to keep the hotspot covered. It works but is a pain in the ass to have to do that. Frankly, I am disappointed.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Not sure but it looks like THE issue with most of buckets style attys since they are not heated well enough to be at the same temp everywhere... so when you heat the cup oils migrate from the hotter point to the colder.

I don't own a Triton but I have the same issue with the Quartz Quest.

Gazaam

Thanks for that info F&V. I was thinking of trying a quartz quest, but I will not bother. Looks like the good souls who are designing these devices need some engineering help. The bucket obviously needs to be heated from the sides as well as the bottom.

analytika

... the good souls who are designing these devices need some engineering help. The bucket obviously needs to be heated from the sides as well as the bottom.

The Triton was the swan song of UpTech's key engineer.

analytika,

Gazaam

The Triton was the swan song of UpTech's key engineer.

O really! Is the company still viable? They sure did a hell of a job hyping the Triton OS to us. You know, I am starting to see that in this nascent industry, for the business side of the industry it's the lawless wild west, we cannot forget that in most places it's still illegal. :(( It's hard to know who to trust.

Gazaam,
Reactions: Old_muel

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
They're still selling stuff on the website and I never heard @THC SCIENTIFIC left or anything like that. I don't do reddit, maybe it was posted there. I'd be sad to see them go, I don't really trust other companies with this stuff too much.

StormyPinkness,

analytika

O really! Is the company still viable? They sure did a hell of a job hyping the Triton OS to us. You know, I am starting to see that in this nascent industry, for the business side of the industry it's the lawless wild west, we cannot forget that in most places it's still illegal. :(( It's hard to know who to trust.
It's not exactly breaking news. Watch the Triton videos. Unveiling and Q&A. Their lead engineer describes the likely end point of the product line and his forthcoming departure. I think that's a fair characterization.

Last edited:
analytika,
Reactions: Hogni

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Their lead engineer describes the likely end point of the product line and his forthcoming departure.
He did talk about circumstances in which he'd leave the industry, he didn't say it was definite. I'm not sure what you mean by he describes the end point of the product line, I remember him bringing up several things he was going to make next for the triton. He spoke about it in the thread too, there was going to be 3 versions eventually. There's also the desktop vape he's been working on for a long time.

Though he hasn't posted since august so it's entirely possible he's done.

StormyPinkness,

money2

G genuinely cares about materials. And that is a major rarity in this space.

money2,

analytika

He did talk about circumstances in which he'd leave the industry, he didn't say it was definite. I'm not sure what you mean by he describes the end point of the product line, I remember him bringing up several things he was going to make next for the triton. He spoke about it in the thread too, there was going to be 3 versions eventually. There's also the desktop vape he's been working on for a long time.

Though he hasn't posted since august so it's entirely possible he's done.
There are a couple of variations on the Triton that might still be pending. Personally I don't think they will ever come to market, except maybe the TAF. He is talking about no successor to the Triton. The Triton itself being the successor to I believe two previous generations.

Top Bottom