Torches, bangers and carb caps!

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I like the twin jet but it does make the oil go higher up the walls then a plan bubble cap so that is why I spend so much time heating the sides cause I want it vaporizing off all surfaces the oil is on. The twin jet is great especially for cold starts if you are like me and hold your bong with one hand while torching with the other leaving you no fee hand to work a bubble cap, spins the pearl fantastic quickly spreading the oil to release more flavor quicker. If you're sitting at a table or desk and don't have to hold the bong it let's you work a cap if you want something more manual but I like placing my cap on when it's cold and not having to do anything so I can focus more on my torching.

Edit: probably not the best option for any sort of insert though 🤔

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
My favorite torch setups are somewhat simple:

• RiO + 710 round bottom 25mm deep banger + 1 ruby pearl + ESB 25mm bubble plug spinner cap.
  • ESB 350 Titty rig + Long Jawn Titty banger 25mm+ 1 ruby pearl + ESB 25mm bubble plug spinner.
I occasionally use other 710 bangers on the Titty rig, but tend to favor the distance provided by the extended neck Titty banger.

On smaller dabs with flat bottom bangers, I also tend to use the pi ball cap from 710. I find this helps spread small amounts very well and allows me to be really precise with the airflow. The 25mm ESB bubble plug spinner is simple awesome, but these are a little harder to get and not regularly stocked.

My Blazer Big Shot has been a big part of this routine for years. It is such a workhorse of a torch. While I never thought I would ever want less, I do find with DabRite that I overheat often and could easily get away with a less powerful torch.

Unless you are using something like an old quartz castle (doubtful), you really need a cap to rip big. The right cap is CRITICAL but when you pair the right cap with the right size ruby (I have not yet tried sapphire), something magical happens. Flavors get brighter, dabs rip thicker, it is just magic. My next purchase is going to be a faceted ruby insert from 710.

One thing I have become mindful of, is it is not really worth being cheap on inserts/pearls. I see prices some of these discount stores are offering, and I would be shocked if they were selling any more than colored glass.

lazylathe

Almost there...
@MegaMan2k @FlyingLow

This is the torch I am using at the moment. Needle point flame that I adjust to a softer flame to heat my tiny banger with at the moment.
Only takes about 10 seconds to heat.

Does one really need a Blazer?
What are the advantages of it over something smaller but just as powerful?

Last edited:

MegaMan2k

@lazylathe

Blazer makes a whole range of different torches many of which are smaller than the Big-shot-gt8000, little brother would be "Big Buddy" from there the sizes goes down all the way to regular handheld lighter, check out their official website to see all the options.

Imo unless space and portabillity is a an issue for you, i would just stick with gt8000, i used to be happy with big buddy before i got the gt8000, but the gt8000 is just better over-all build quality, feels way more solid and less plasticy, and i like the way you ignite the gt8000 over the big buddy, more simple

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I will get some pics today, my spinner does have a smaller, slightly different shaped, 3hole downspouts.

I don't think a blazer is necessary, but it sure is a perk. As Mega mentions, it just oozes quality and shoots a brilliant flame. When I am torching a lot, I find the Big Shot is MOST efficient with my time and butane. What might be a 20-30 second heat up with one torch, might take 10-15 seconds with the Big Shot... its hot, and I'm not convinced any other brands put out this kind of heat.

lazylathe

Almost there...
@MegaMan2k

Just updated my post as I forgot the link to the torch I have at the moment.
It has served me well and does everything I ask of it.
This is why I was wondering if there is a difference.

@FlyingLow
Mine takes about 10 seconds already, that is why I was curious...

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You definitely want a Big Shot.

Smaller flames will be too narrow and won't achieve the same type of even heat soak. I was doing cold start dabs in ~2016 way before they were a thing, heating a banger with a triple Vapcap torch. But a proper torch will be much better tool for the job.

But for a big 25mm bucket you want a big wide engulfing flame. The actual intensity of the flame doesn't need to be at full blast at all.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
LOL yeeeup to Inverted... Big Shot is going to swallow that torch whole! It is like comparing a Piper Cub to an GulfStream G5. Both will get you high, but one will get you there much faster and in more style.

I don't know of anyone that has regretted this purchase.

Texus

My favorite torch setups are somewhat simple:

• RiO + 710 round bottom 25mm deep banger + 1 ruby pearl + ESB 25mm bubble plug spinner cap.
  • ESB 350 Titty rig + Long Jawn Titty banger 25mm+ 1 ruby pearl + ESB 25mm bubble plug spinner.
I occasionally use other 710 bangers on the Titty rig, but tend to favor the distance provided by the extended neck Titty banger.

On smaller dabs with flat bottom bangers, I also tend to use the pi ball cap from 710. I find this helps spread small amounts very well and allows me to be really precise with the airflow. The 25mm ESB bubble plug spinner is simple awesome, but these are a little harder to get and not regularly stocked.

My Blazer Big Shot has been a big part of this routine for years. It is such a workhorse of a torch. While I never thought I would ever want less, I do find with DabRite that I overheat often and could easily get away with a less powerful torch.

Unless you are using something like an old quartz castle (doubtful), you really need a cap to rip big. The right cap is CRITICAL but when you pair the right cap with the right size ruby (I have not yet tried sapphire), something magical happens. Flavors get brighter, dabs rip thicker, it is just magic. My next purchase is going to be a faceted ruby insert from 710.

One thing I have become mindful of, is it is not really worth being cheap on inserts/pearls. I see prices some of these discount stores are offering, and I would be shocked if they were selling any more than colored glass.
What size ruby pearl are you using, and do you have a recommended source for them?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
mine is Evan Shore, available at SmallWerldGlass.com

They sent me a few extras when they replaced my rig (the first Titty was blemished)... I use a 5mm ruby but was considering going to 2x 3mm. A good pearl and cap combo is awesome, I have not taken dabs without my ruby pearl since I got it. 710 has some awesome jewelry tongs to help handle it. I ride it in my round bottoms, sic halos, and regular bangers.

@MegaMan2k you are right on the sizes. Looks like my spinner is a previous generation then the XL but VERY similar except for a slightly different shape on the down port. I'll post a comparative pic tonight.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well since it came up again, I have to point out that I still think the pricey big shot is a bit unnecessary when you can just get this:
for $25 on Amazon, not that I ever tried the big shot actually, but this is everything I need for consistent reliability and quick ease of use... And I like paying a third of the price lol

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Its tough to believe until you try it, but Blazer is better... I can tell just from looking at that ceramic coated nozzle and cheap igniter.
See if your local head shop will let you spark one in the store, just so you can see for yourself.

Shit Snacks

Its tough to believe until you try it, but Blazer is better... I can tell just from looking at that ceramic coated nozzle and cheap igniter.
See if your local head shop will let you spark one in the store, just so you can see for yourself.

Hmmm I don't doubt you, but it is working more than fine, and my buddy has had one longer than me, still feels like a sound investment, but you are right, thank you, if I cannot compare then I will never know! (definitely not going into any head shops lol)

MegaMan2k

Well since it came up again, I have to point out that I still think the pricey big shot is a bit unnecessary when you can just get this:
for $25 on Amazon, not that I ever tried the big shot actually, but this is everything I need for consistent reliability and quick ease of use... And I like paying a third of the price lol

You would probably still get more bang for your buck by just going with a big buddy then

Shit Snacks

You would probably still get more bang for your buck by just going with a big buddy then

Thanks yeah I had thought about that before, but the one I got was a decent amount even cheaper than this, and larger, also I was iffy on the look of the button for the big buddy... Another reason I got the one I did, my friend already had it, so I knew it was easy for me to turn off and on, since I can struggle with a lot of these butane torches honestly!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Why the aversion to head shops? Certainly would be the easiest way to check one out.

Are you not vaccinated? If concerned over COVID, perhaps go during off hours (usually right when they open) to avoid any other customers.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Is a benzomatic torch overkill?
Have not touched my Benzomatic in 5 years... It is a toy by comparison. Really no need to try to talk yourself out of this!

There are probably a ton of comparison videos... I found this in a quick second on youtube. Start around the 6min mark for the cheap, then he introduces the blazer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom