Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

2clicker

Observer
gosh it's hard trying not to spend money. I still keep doing it anyway. Dang it!! I will probably get one of those juiced up Evo's soon. Do you think adding a screen in the bottom would help with the combustion?

i did this on friday. ive been running a screen in the core of my Evo for a long time. one that fits flat against the bottom of the core. this will not help much against combustion as it does not really move the load far enough away from the heater.

BUT i domed a screen (convex) and slid it down into the core. almost like a cage around the bottom of the chamber. then i used a exacto handle to push down in there to flatten the top of the screen cage. results were pretty damn good. i let it heat up longer than i would have which would normally char some of the load. in this case this did not happen. i got some pretty good rips. oh and i packed the load in some to fit more. just loaded it up as much as i could before restricting much air flow.

havent touched it since though. im not sure i like how the screen sits in there now. probably going to try to make another to fit better. needs to be a cup shaped screen. maybe an 1/8" of an inch or 3/16" tall with a flat top.

2clicker,
I ordered a black Evolution from gotvape.com on the 13th. I received an email shortly after placing my order informing me it was back ordered. I called up gotvape.com's customer support and was told that I wouldn't be receiving my unit until the end of the month due to the manufacturer updating this model. Can anyone shed some light on this? What update(s) should I be expecting?

Blanco Nino,

OF

I ordered a black Evolution from gotvape.com on the 13th. I received an email shortly after placing my order informing me it was back ordered. I called up gotvape.com's customer support and was told that I wouldn't be receiving my unit until the end of the month due to the manufacturer updating this model. Can anyone shed some light on this? What update(s) should I be expecting?

IMO you're getting the run around. They're out of stock and the new model will not be to you through them by the end of the month. The maker is calling for the end of the following month if everything goes well. Contact the maker and see what they say.

I suspect they can custom build you what you want at the same price from the parts they still have:
http://thermovape.com/pages/contact

They can also give you the best timeline on the new model, one thing sure nobody can ship it to you before they release and build them.....

OF

OF,
IMO you're getting the run around. They're out of stock and the new model will not be to you through them by the end of the month. The maker is calling for the end of the following month if everything goes well. Contact the maker and see what they say.

I suspect they can custom build you what you want at the same price from the parts they still have:
http://thermovape.com/pages/contact

They can also give you the best timeline on the new model, one thing sure nobody can ship it to you before they release and build them.....

OF

Thank you for your input. I canceled my ordered. I'll be using my refund towards a purchase of a Pax. Maybe I'll purchase the new Thermovape Evolution model when its available.

Blanco Nino,

OF

Thank you for your input. I canceled my ordered. I'll be using my refund towards a purchase of a Pax. Maybe I'll purchase the new Thermovape Evolution model when its available.

You're very welcome. I don't have a Pax, but it seems to have quite a following of loyal owners. I hope you're happy with it, odds seem to lean that way for sure.

Good luck.

OF

Pcpvapors

I've got a buddy who's charger went out on his LV kit, anyone know of an aftermarket alternative that could be found at a brick and mortar?

Pcpvapors,

OF

I've got a buddy who's charger went out on his LV kit, anyone know of an aftermarket alternative that could be found at a brick and mortar?

It might be worth calling around, chargers made for 18650 Li-ion cells will do the job.

OTOH, there's any number of such chargers at places like Amazon.com that can have one to him very quickly at minimal cost......

OF

OF,

Pcpvapors

I'm having some trouble with my SV evo I picked up, I'm letting it warm up for 15 seconds and then drawing extremely slow for 15 seconds and I'm not producing any visible vapor. I'm getting a very strong ABV taste but the buds are still green!

Pcpvapors,

NoName

I'm having some trouble with my SV evo I picked up, I'm letting it warm up for 15 seconds and then drawing extremely slow for 15 seconds and I'm not producing any visible vapor. I'm getting a very strong ABV taste but the buds are still green!

Pcp,

I have a LV EVO, buy I believe that their operation/performance to be very similar. I personally pre-heat the EVO for 45-55 seconds before my initial slow draw (this 'draw' being what has been referred to as 'step2'). If you check back thru this thread there are several well described examples of a '3 step method' for max performance. I know that OF has posted this info-Try a 'search' for additional info? Good luck, I think you're going to love it once you get the hang of it.

NoName

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am running my EVO without the insulating sleeve and am using a PTFE UFO MP plugged directly into the core. It reduces the load size somewhat-but IMO provides me with superior results.

NoName,

Pcpvapors

I'm thinking it may be in my grind? The first bowl I packed was a very fine grind for the MFLB and had good vapor but it was small enough it went through to the heater core and combusted so I tried a little more coarse grind. I dunno I'll keep playing with it and try OFs method if I can find it

Pcpvapors,

OF

Try doing three, distinct, steps. Don't cheat. Try it, you can modify, use as is, or abandon it for other ideas later.

First off, with the bowl empty and the batteries charged, fire it off and watch the core through the holes in the bottom of the bowl. Notice how as it comes up to final temperature more and more of the stuff in the core starts to glow? That energy being given off is mostly caught again by something else in the core which gets that bit hotter still, making it glow brighter. Eventually you reach a stable condition where the additional power is going to more losses to the outside world, the core itself is as hot as it's able to get, stored energy is at maximum. We need to reach this state every time. Try it a few times. It is shorter if it's hot already, but it gets longer as the charge in the battery gets run down. Since you can't see it, you'll need to go based on time and a bit of 'feel' from experience to know when you're there. When learning you can also get a clue by holding the cold unit in your fingers as it heats, this is, of course, useless on reheats.

So much for step 1. Step two is indeed a steady draw but not "drawing extremely slow for 15 seconds". Rather we need a much faster draw if we're going to transfer heat up faster than it drains away. "Medium fast" is the call, a rate that will completely fill your lungs in that 15 seconds. Maybe even a bit faster if the air you draw feels too cool. It has to be warm, nearly hot, before vapor can happen. You learn to pick up on that too and modify technique, but for now shoot for full lungs in 15 seconds. As it warms up, taste the hot air. You'll learn to sense vapor. When you do (or are just too curious to keep going), do a test puff. Tim's invention. Like the name implies puff the bit in your mouth out and go right back to pulling hot air through....it's a convection vape and you're the convection and convectee both. When the test puff comes up positive, solidly positive (or draw a bit more) you've done step 2, go immediately to step 3. If you don't get a good test puff by the end of your lung capacity, dump the air and keep going a second time, 30 seconds or so total. If you don't get it by the end of the second lung full, abort and go back to step one to replace the heat in the core and try again.

Step 3 is the hit you get when you finally get steps 1 and 2 sorted out. Half a minute into the cycle? Once you get a solid test puff, immediately dump the wimpy hit in your lungs and hit it like you really mean it. The bowl will be up to the magic temperature, the core should still have plenty of heat stored to support heating the air you're about to pull in, that heat goes directly to vapor production since all other losses 'are covered' at this point. This is the state you're looking for but you need to do steps 1 and 2 right for that to happen.

A key insight is the heater doesn't produce enough heat to support a big hit by brute force, it can't with such modest power levels. Energy has to be stored before hand and used wisely so there will be enough left to power the hit. Another insight is the core itself. I uses Infrared Radiation to transfer the heat, not the air hitting a hot surface. It's the glow that does the work. The core is designed so air flow through it is turbulent so the average molecule is 'in the hot zone' a nearly average time. This gives uniform heat. This means there's a 'sweet spot' to step 2 you eventually learn to find without thinking about it. Also important is a botched attempt (or one that just ran slow...) may take too much stored heat to recover from you should abort and try again.

All along it's eating battery, but while you're learning the system don't sweat that, keep swapping in fresh batteries when they get even a little weak. Later on you learn how to 'read' their condition and economize on power. It happens naturally, really. The key is to get useful results to start with.

Anyway, that's the story. If it's up to snuff (and they basically all are) it comes down to technique. 3 steps seems to work well for most guys to get them going.

Good luck.

OF

Pcpvapors

Try doing three, distinct, steps. Don't cheat. Try it, you can modify, use as is, or abandon it for other ideas later.

First off, with the bowl empty and the batteries charged, fire it off and watch the core through the holes in the bottom of the bowl. Notice how as it comes up to final temperature more and more of the stuff in the core starts to glow? That energy being given off is mostly caught again by something else in the core which gets that bit hotter still, making it glow brighter. Eventually you reach a stable condition where the additional power is going to more losses to the outside world, the core itself is as hot as it's able to get, stored energy is at maximum. We need to reach this state every time. Try it a few times. It is shorter if it's hot already, but it gets longer as the charge in the battery gets run down. Since you can't see it, you'll need to go based on time and a bit of 'feel' from experience to know when you're there. When learning you can also get a clue by holding the cold unit in your fingers as it heats, this is, of course, useless on reheats.

So much for step 1. Step two is indeed a steady draw but not "drawing extremely slow for 15 seconds". Rather we need a much faster draw if we're going to transfer heat up faster than it drains away. "Medium fast" is the call, a rate that will completely fill your lungs in that 15 seconds. Maybe even a bit faster if the air you draw feels too cool. It has to be warm, nearly hot, before vapor can happen. You learn to pick up on that too and modify technique, but for now shoot for full lungs in 15 seconds. As it warms up, taste the hot air. You'll learn to sense vapor. When you do (or are just too curious to keep going), do a test puff. Tim's invention. Like the name implies puff the bit in your mouth out and go right back to pulling hot air through....it's a convection vape and you're the convection and convectee both. When the test puff comes up positive, solidly positive (or draw a bit more) you've done step 2, go immediately to step 3. If you don't get a good test puff by the end of your lung capacity, dump the air and keep going a second time, 30 seconds or so total. If you don't get it by the end of the second lung full, abort and go back to step one to replace the heat in the core and try again.

Yeah I just found your original posting of that (#1053) ill be playing around quite a bit with the EVO hopefully to some avail.
Step 3 is the hit you get when you finally get steps 1 and 2 sorted out. Half a minute into the cycle? Once you get a solid test puff, immediately dump the wimpy hit in your lungs and hit it like you really mean it. The bowl will be up to the magic temperature, the core should still have plenty of heat stored to support heating the air you're about to pull in, that heat goes directly to vapor production since all other losses 'are covered' at this point. This is the state you're looking for but you need to do steps 1 and 2 right for that to happen.

A key insight is the heater doesn't produce enough heat to support a big hit by brute force, it can't with such modest power levels. Energy has to be stored before hand and used wisely so there will be enough left to power the hit. Another insight is the core itself. I uses Infrared Radiation to transfer the heat, not the air hitting a hot surface. It's the glow that does the work. The core is designed so air flow through it is turbulent so the average molecule is 'in the hot zone' a nearly average time. This gives uniform heat. This means there's a 'sweet spot' to step 2 you eventually learn to find without thinking about it. Also important is a botched attempt (or one that just ran slow...) may take too much stored heat to recover from you should abort and try again.

All along it's eating battery, but while you're learning the system don't sweat that, keep swapping in fresh batteries when they get even a little weak. Later on you learn how to 'read' their condition and economize on power. It happens naturally, really. The key is to get useful results to start with.

Anyway, that's the story. If it's up to snuff (and they basically all are) it comes down to technique. 3 steps seems to work well for most guys to get them going.

Good luck.

OF

Yeah I just found your original posting of that (#1053) ill be playing around quite a bit with the EVO hopefully to some avail.

Thanks OF, I'll be certainly letting you know how it goes. My understanding from your post is

30 seconds no draw, a moderate draw rate for 30 seconds, test, if acceptable rip it.

Pcpvapors,

Pcpvapors

Holy shit! OF you need a damn warning label on that technique I just blew out a cloud that fogged my glasses.... EVO is officially a hit in my book! Much love and respect OF!

OF

Thanks OF, I'll be certainly letting you know how it goes. My understanding from your post is

30 seconds no draw, a moderate draw rate for 30 seconds, test, if acceptable rip it.

You're welcome, although I'm fairly sure that's not the first such post any more than this is the last......

That's not really what I said, is it? I said watch it heat to determine how long, then go past that a bit. No time specified. It varies. And I specifically said "medium fast" draw, noting moderate about it in my book.

Thanks and good luck.

OF

OF,

OF

Holy shit! OF you need a damn warning label on that technique I just blew out a cloud that fogged my glasses.... EVO is officially a hit in my book! Much love and respect OF!

Sorry, Bro, I guess I missed 'fasten your seat belt' didn't I? I guess I assumed you knew that part.....my bad.

Enjoy it. My advice is to focus on each step as it's own thing and 'follow the results', soon you'll be a champ.

Keep your batteries charged.

OF

OF,

NoName

HeHe- see? Once again OF to the rescue! This technique also got me 'over the top'

NoName,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
So I have another 6v Evo core, that I'm sending in to get rewired for the mod 3.7v version. I'm hoping to like it like that. I know it's a bit easier to combust with, so I thought about putting a small domed screen in the core before I load it to separate the plant from the heat a little more, to see if that doesn't ease up on the combustion, if I do find it to be an issue. I'll post more when I have it.

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
So I have another 6v Evo core, that I'm sending in to get rewired for the mod 3.7v version. I'm hoping to like it like that. I know it's a bit easier to combust with, so I thought about putting a small domed screen in the core before I load it to separate the plant from the heat a little more, to see if that doesn't ease up on the combustion, if I do find it to be an issue. I'll post more when I have it.

Why would it be easier to combust with a LV is the heater placed closer then the SV?

Puffers,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Cool thx jam all TV options get a bit confusing. I wish the vaporpedia or tv website was more complete on their products although with Cera coming out its a non issue I guess. :lol:

Puffers,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
OF I am sure or hope at this point you have the steps on your desktop ready to copy and paste;)

Dreamerr,
Reactions: Pipes

OF

Well two bowls and 3 sets of batteries later and I've got the infamous OF technique down. Evo will never leave my pocket.

Great to hear you got it sorted out, thanks for the word.

Not to worry, soon it will be 'two sets of batteries and 3 bowls'.......

I hope the 'infamous' part related to the technique? That is 'the infamous technique of OF' not 'the infamous OF's technique'. A minor detail to you, but to me a significant difference......

And finally I hope you take it out of that pocket from time to time to take a hit?

Have fun refining the basic technique. You'll be amazed at how soon it becomes automatic. Pretty amazing tool, really.....provided you do business it's way.

OF

OF,
Reactions: Pipes
Top Bottom