• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The WOODEN Vaporizer Thread

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
And the Couch Log Steamwhistle: Preliminary report: :rockon:
IMG-3552.jpg
I am so glad you got one! I thought of you when it was announced. Looks pretty fun!

TeaCup

@coolbreeze : Hey man, could you tell me a little about the Steamwhistle. Is it lined with anything inside? Could it be lined with something to take the wood out of the equation? And could it be modded to fit a different mouthpiece? And last, could you add some cooling beads inside? This was a nice surprise Chris gave us! Thanks CB.

coolbreeze

@coolbreeze : Hey man, could you tell me a little about the Steamwhistle. Is it lined with anything inside? Could it be lined with something to take the wood out of the equation? And could it be modded to fit a different mouthpiece? And last, could you add some cooling beads inside? This was a nice surprise Chris gave us! Thanks CB.
@TeaCup , the Steamwhistle is not lined, it's wood with SS screen. I tried an aluminum capsule and it juuuusts fits (S&B recommends NOT using aluminum capsules with torches). I tried one of Ed's TnT Stainless Steel Mighty capsules (as below) and while it technically fits, the top would likely become lodged. You could probably use the capsule without the lid as a liner/container. That would keep the chamber cleaner, but the torch would still heat the remaining wood surfaces above and below the capsule, so it may not insulate completely against, say, a wood allergy.

IMG-3588.jpg
IMG-3586.jpg

With the mouthpiece, you can indeed switch to one as long as it's a suitable diameter (the stem seen below needed a slightly thicker o-ring to fit securely). Of course you might also try a 14mm j-hook or straight stem (maybe someone like @RogueGuy or @GoodVibesBoro could make you one). I've tried it with a j-hook as well for a very nice session.

IMG-3595.jpg
IMG-3592.jpg

IMG-3589.jpg

@Beefcake@420Eng includes a cooling pad to stick beneath the screen, if you want. You can vape the reclaim out of it for a bonus buzz. Beads would be possible, probably, but you'd have to mount screens and load beads in a relatively short tube.

So yes, nice surprise indeed! Fine American vapes notwithstanding, the German craftsmen are really killin' these little torch bong vapes. The Dreamwoods are classics, the recent Retrosteam Diamond is fantastic, and the Steamwhistle is more than worthy company--it's certainly among the top. I'd like to do a more thoughtful review but in the meantime if you have an interest and you're on the fence, OR you're looking for your first really nice vape, don't hesitate. It's one of the best brick-style vape experiences I've had and I think for me it'll get a lot of use.

Last edited:

TeaCup

@coolbreeze : Fantastic! The pics are perfect for what I need to know, I think it's something I can work with. I assume all pieces are removable, I'm only wondering about the last pic with the screen, what's sitting on top of it?

And do you like that Scorch torch? I've meant to pick that up many times because the button is supposed to be extremely easy to push on but I never really knew what kind of vapes it would work well with, and getting torches to where I live is a bit of a pain because I have to bother friends to have it shipped to them so they can ship it to me.

You don't have to take a pic of the Diamond but I just looked at their site, oh man, this could possibly be SS lined already, is it?

coolbreeze

@coolbreeze : Fantastic! The pics are perfect for what I need to know, I think it's something I can work with. I assume all pieces are removable, I'm only wondering about the last pic with the screen, what's sitting on top of it?
@TeaCup , that final picture is looking up its rump--that is the bottom of the bottom section. The screen is slightly larger and friction fits, but below it is a small ledge that is the top of the tube, which prevents it slipping further. That o-ring sits on a small ledge and friction secures the glass with the ring. That pic's included so you can see the room you'd have for the pad or balls.

And do you like that Scorch torch? I've meant to pick that up many times because the button is supposed to be extremely easy to push on but I never really knew what kind of vapes it would work well with, and getting torches to where I live is a bit of a pain because I have to bother friends to have it shipped to them so they can ship it to me.
Yeah, it's a great torch for bricks. You can get a suitably strong flame and it's slightly bushy, which a brick likes. Downsides are moderate capacity; small fuel window; adjustment is the bottom screw. Otherwise it works pretty well. The Vertigo Serpent's pretty good, too: bushier, not quite as strong maybe. I once got a plastic consumer torch from Dreamwood called the Atomic. I never could find another, but it's got a nice strong, bushy flame as well.

You don't have to take a pic of the Diamond but I just looked at their site, oh man, this could possibly be SS lined already, is it?
Yes, the bottom/bowl is stainless. The wooden top forms the upper half of the heat chamber, so that's exposed, but since the bottom slides into the top, less wood is exposed than it looks. The heat intake is also stainless; in the current build, it's installed permanently, but newer ones will have that removable.

One thing I want to mention about the Diamond: it is an absolutely wonderful vape as it is and I recommend it without hesitation. If you decide to look into it, though, ask in the thread, or even email the maker and clarify whether or not the top sections of the Retrosteam handpipes friction seal to the metal bowl in the same way that the Diamond's top does. The reason this is important is because the Diamond bowl/wpa IS the inner chamber for the pipes. In other words, you get two vapes in one, the handpipe and the removable bowl/wpa, if the pipe top fits like the Diamond top! The pipes are considerably more expensive than the Diamond, but a 2-in-1 would make it much more economical.

Last edited:

TeaCup

@coolbreeze : Thanks alot for all that. Didn't realize that was an o-ring, I thought it was glass but now I see the side wood walls. I'm gonna get one of these two, will email the maker this weekend and find out some more info on that Retrosteam one. Just found out I had the Retrosteam thread bookmarked already! Will study your pics this wknd also. Thanks man.

coolbreeze

Fractal Hydrobricks available at Vapefiend:

Vaporware

I used the search function and couldn't find my username so... 😁

In case you didn’t know, if you look at the avatar next to each thread, the ones you posted in will have an even smaller avatar of yours in the corner to show that you’ve posted in the thread. :)

Nice pictures though! I don’t think I’ve seen the larger box in the 4th picture before. Any more pics/info about it? I see Dan’s mark on it, but I it’s not something he normally makes as far as I know!

Vaporware,
Reactions: fangorn

fangorn

no no, it's not from Dan obviously!
I should have made that clear!
I asked him if I could use his symbol before having the engraving done.

it's sold as a dice tray for Dungeon and Dragon originally. There are plenty of sellers on Etsy. I took mine from DenmarkLeatherCo. The price is ridiculous in my opinion... I paid $31 with the engraving and the shipping costs...

(I learned later that he was Ukrainian. So the package went through a country at war so I waited a long time. but that was not the point. I found it very futile to have myself made such a toy while his country is at war... anyway...)

The wood is of good quality, the leather and the engraving on it are very correct. it's well finished, even if it was very dry on arrival.

The small compartment is very practical for my tools. The high sides allow me to put any of my portable vaporizers without fear of dropping it.

And it's beautiful 😁
In short, I'm a fan... I can only recommend it... and you can choose the type of wood, the color of the leather and there are several sizes as well.

In general, I recommend going to look at the crafters of Dungeon and Dragon articles! They do things that can be useful directly or can inspire custom items!

warren0728

here's my current wooden vapes ... not a huge collection but a versatile one!

wooden-vapes.jpg

Back Row left-right --> Underdog Log (Smash Oak / SC2), Underdog Log (Custom FYT / SC3+), Underdog Log (Gnarly Dog / SC3), RBT Milaana 2 (Sapele / Wenge cap), RBT Milaana 1.5 (Maple / Purpleheart cap), Sticky Brick Junior (SE, Walnut with Cherry-Walnut-Cherry stripe),

Front Row left-right --> Vapman Classic OG (Walnut, Swiss), Vapman Classic (Olivewood, Italian), Vapman Pure (Kotibé, Fungi Special Edition, Italian), Dynavap NonaVonG

Mad_Max

I think I've stumbled into Nirvana!? Hello fellow woodies. As one newly obsessed with wood, I've already stumped my toe on an Ed's TNT wood stem that really screwed me up the first time I've used it on a Milaana 3. (Pic below) It seemed as if I was vaping wood resin and wood dust. I've now cleaned it thoroughly inside with a brush and a little dish soap. Wax on the outside. Is there anything else I should do to prime it to produce delicious, roasty clouds? I'm scared to use it at the moment since it ruined the rest of the night's vaping. :cry:

PS - if it's off topic here, sorry.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think I've stumbled into Nirvana!? Hello fellow woodies. As one newly obsessed with wood, I've already stumped my toe on an Ed's TNT wood stem that really screwed me up the first time I've used it on a Milaana 3. (Pic below) It seemed as if I was vaping wood resin and wood dust. I've now cleaned it thoroughly inside with a brush and a little dish soap. Wax on the outside. Is there anything else I should do to prime it to produce delicious, roasty clouds? I'm scared to use it at the moment since it ruined the rest of the night's vaping. :cry:

PS - if it's off topic here, sorry.

Haha yes better for the Milaana thread probably! I do not like to use the wood stems, better with a glass liner, but you would need one for the bowl side too imo

Top Bottom