The Way of Cannabis

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I'd like to talk about developing a more mindful approach to the vaporization ritual.

This is a rough idea I've been chewing on for a while... and I'm taking it to the forum to help refine, flush out, make better. I feel like this idea is best approached through the hive-mind of our community.

The Inspiration

In Japan there are three classical arts of refinement; Ikebana (flower arranging), Kōdō (Incense), and chadō (Tea ceremony).

5c30deeca008360282f3beaa05beb205.jpg

6826733651-da378ffb92-z.jpg

These arts are designed to encourage a mindful state, to be in the moment. The rituals and objects involved help to quiet the mind and give the most ideal setting for appreciating things like nature, tea, human interaction, fragrance, etc...

These practices have been highly refined to bring about the most happiness in life through a deeper appreciation of our environment.

The Problem

The cannabis high itself is a quick way to achieve mindfulness. We are forced into a positive mindset. Why bother with enhancing what is already so good?

In my experience, consuming cannabis is often little more than a hurried "get down to business" sort of ordeal. It's like the cheap drive-thru coffee for the single goal of getting that caffeine kick.

Because of the illicit history of Cannabis, I can see why this is the case. Usually cannabis use was restricted to hidden places, and the idea of getting caught wrapped the whole experience up in a bad, rushed vibe. Not to mention the quality of cannabis flower... and how most of the time it wasn't something that encouraged much appreciation... but more so disappointment, heh.

But now that cannabis is becoming legal, more culturally accepted, and the available strains has exploded, why do we still continue those same habits?

I should note that this is merely common to my experience. I know that many of you experience a different side of the cannabis culture.

The Why

I feel like a mindful approach to vaporizing cannabis can reduce anxiety, lead to a deeper appreciation for our environment and human connections, and enhance its medicinal/positive psychoactive effects.

Do a little research into psychedelic drugs, and you'll quickly realize the importance of "set and setting". That is to say, your mindset and environment. These two aspects are known to greatly influence the psychoactive effects of whatever psychedelic drug you're taking.

It only makes sense to associate set and setting to cannabis use as well.

The How

In the previously mentioned Japanese arts of refinement, mindfulness is encouraged through the ritualistic use of objects. These objects (tea bowl, scoop, scissors, incense burner..etc) are designed to help frame and showcase the natural elements (tea leaf, fragrant woods, snacks, flowers...etc).

I envision this framework applied to cannabis vaporization.

It's already in use in many ways. Many of you here have "vape stations" where you dedicate a space to vaporization. Conscious of it or not, having a space like that is a great way to encourage mindfulness. It's like a little oasis.

All of the vaping utensils out there also encourage mindfulness... the little scoops, and funnels and loading capsules... all the... things. Through their use we go deeper and deeper into the ritualistic aspects of our practice. There mere act of slowly sorting, grinding, scooping and loading cannabis is a great way to force the mind into being in the moment.

The vaporizers themselves, of course. If we compare it to the tea ceremony, the vaporizer is like the tea cup, a vessel to focus our senses.

There is room for a whole set of objects and rituals, tailored specifically for the art of vaporization.

Trays, scoops, storage canisters, loading capsules, etc...etc... Crafted in a way to connote the most positive vibes, whatever your personal preferences.

Social rituals as well... games where you get to guess the terpenes in different strains... or try to guess the strain based on what effects you're feeling. Games developed to make you stop and think about what you're tasting, smelling, feeling...

I see a space, akin to a traditional Japanese tea house, where you can go to be fully immersed in the experience. Whether this is just a small space like a desk top or a little box on the floor... or a space outdoors.. and little travel kit to help set the scene out in nature. Like a cannabis picnic, haha.

Final Thoughts

I really don't know where I am going with all this. It's just a vibe I've been feeling... I keep noticing the similarities between cannabis and things like tea, coffee, wine..etc.. I can't help but think that there is so much room to evolve. Cannabis is relatively new, and we are all finding the way forward. Personally I am trying harder to appreciate cannabis and ditch a lot of old bad habits.

I also don't want to come off sounding elitist. There is no ONE way to enjoy cannabis, everyone is different, and so everyone will have their own rituals, that's totally OK!

This whole post feels awkward to me, blurry... without a point and with no conclusion or direction. I hope to flush it out over time and keep adding my thoughts as they become more clear.

And I would love to hear your thoughts. What sort of rituals do you incorporate into your vape time? Do you notice any positive effects from these rituals? How about your mind... does the practice of enjoying cannabis put you into a more mindful head-space? And what things do you think you could change... or put more effort into... to go deeper into mindfulness?

Instead of my usual, load it, hit it, and toss it, method of using my vaporizer.. I am instead going to be dedicating more time and thought to the whole experience. I'd like to post photos of my "vape station" once I get it set up, and make note of any rituals I add to the experience... I'll note any positive changes to my mindset... and perhaps start to develop, as a community, a "Way" that leads to overall health and happiness through the appreciation and use of cannabis.

Tranquility

The concept is useful and, like you wrote, many already have rituals they do when they vape. I remember, when I used to coach, I talked of soccer-dō with the players. The Way of Soccer. You must start to do what you must mindfully, so you can later do it without thought. "Form is emptiness, emptiness is form itself."

It was based on a book I read when I was very much into Karate as a young man, Karate-Do Kyohan by Funokoshi and is also reflected in more modern management books like The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. Some of the ideas from those places can be a part of one's Way.

Great idea, well explained. I don't know where this thread will go, but I think some here will be great contributors to it.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
This is a beautiful concept, @Dan Morrison. As I understand this to be a discussion, rather than a defense of an existing pet position, I will add some thoughts.
I sometimes find myself frustrated with the process of grinding. This is ridiculous, of course. It isn't difficult, it isn't painful or even inconvenient. Obviously, if I'm needing to grind, then I have cannabis and am preparing to vape. This is a time for patience and gratitude. Why the irritation, however slight, over this chore? Why am I thinking chore, rather than ritual? The 'solution' isn't a different, or better grinder. My grinders are fine. I'm the problem here. That is, my thinking about this step in preparation for vaping. Or is it the feeling about it? Both? More attention and focus is needed here. I'd like to turn this to gratitude.
I always say Grace before meals, and say thanks for my food. It would be uncomfortable to eat without giving thanks, as I am grateful. Am I not thankful as well for the nurturing, healing properties of cannabis? Shouldn't I be giving thanks? Or in someway focus on the blessings about to be conferred?
Most of what I vape, I grow. There is a link between cracking seeds, nurturing each plant, the harvest, the trimming, drying and curing, and ultimately consuming the plant. There is a unity, and a connection to this, and as it's developing into a yearly cycle, can I learn to draw more from the process? Give more to the process?
Part of me still fights and resists that I use cannabis at all. As helpful as it is, it felt very much forced on me. This isn't my predominant feeling or thought about my cannabis consumption, but it's lurking about interfering with my other positive feelings, including gratitude. Can focusing on ritual and gratitude lessen these feelings?
I'm not expecting answers, just joining the conversation, an am very much intrigued with your concepts.

arb

Semi shaved ape
This is a beautiful concept, @Dan Morrison. As I understand this to be a discussion, rather than a defense of an existing pet position, I will add some thoughts.
I sometimes find myself frustrated with the process of grinding. This is ridiculous, of course. It isn't difficult, it isn't painful or even inconvenient. Obviously, if I'm needing to grind, then I have cannabis and am preparing to vape. This is a time for patience and gratitude. Why the irritation, however slight, over this chore? Why am I thinking chore, rather than ritual? The 'solution' isn't a different, or better grinder. My grinders are fine. I'm the problem here. That is, my thinking about this step in preparation for vaping. Or is it the feeling about it? Both? More attention and focus is needed here. I'd like to turn this to gratitude.
I always say Grace before meals, and say thanks for my food. It would be uncomfortable to eat without giving thanks, as I am grateful. Am I not thankful as well for the nurturing, healing properties of cannabis? Shouldn't I be giving thanks? Or in someway focus on the blessings about to be conferred?
Most of what I vape, I grow. There is a link between cracking seeds, nurturing each plant, the harvest, the trimming, drying and curing, and ultimately consuming the plant. There is a unity, and a connection to this, and as it's developing into a yearly cycle, can I learn to draw more from the process? Give more to the process?
Part of me still fights and resists that I use cannabis at all. As helpful as it is, it felt very much forced on me. This isn't my predominant feeling or thought about my cannabis consumption, but it's lurking about interfering with my other positive feelings, including gratitude. Can focusing on ritual and gratitude lessen these feelings?
I'm not expecting answers, just joining the conversation, an am very much intrigued with your concepts.
You are awesome..........please don't stop being you that would be a loss.

FabulatorPoeta

Where has the time gone?
@Dan Morrison Thank you to have taken the time to share these insightful comments.

I feel like a mindful approach to vaporizing cannabis can reduce anxiety, lead to a deeper appreciation for our environment and human connections, and enhance its medicinal/positive psychoactive effects.

It only makes sense to associate set and setting to cannabis use as well.

Instead of my usual, load it, hit it, and toss it, method of using my vaporizer.. I am instead going to be dedicating more time and thought to the whole experience.

Akin to this slow paced ritual of tea, my vape of choice has been the VapCap, a wonderful and simple tool. I have never used a lighter of any kind, and I only vape inside at home. I microdose. In fact i really enjoy the time it takes and the atmosphere surrounding the use of a VapCap. A small and nice paraffine lamp, on a low table beside a comfortable arm chair, music in the background, heating the cap with the rotating movements swaying in the flame, waiting for the click and then tasting the vaped herb and feeling the subtle changes in vibration, all of this is in itself a soothing ritual. I can use both hands to heat my M while I relax in the chair. The time it takes is just that, the time it takes. I feel that, during that time, there is an esthetical kinship with some sophisticated and in no way sordid, opiium salon. Poetic atmosphere favorable to meditation, creation or simple relaxation.

116bea1f4eae5db3d0f851a2cc674823--opium-den-s.jpg

Set and setting. The journey is an integral part of getting there... :chill:

2011-09-28-OpiumDylan.jpg

Baudelaire's Invitation au voyage...
"Là tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
luxe, calme et volupté...
There all is order and beauty,
Luxury, peace, and pleasure."

I'd like to turn this to gratitude.

Very insightful @Madri-Gal. Thanksgiving is essential to delightful and compassionate living imo.

And I just discovered a somewhat similar thread : http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/adding-more-ritual-to-vaporizing.33770/

Last edited:

C No Ego

I'm still at a place where as little paraphernalia laying around the better... the pluses to that are - lessened tolerance is best noticed. if there were vape gear all over the house I'd be consuming more no doubt... plus the simplistic approach to doing what's needed with less leads to creative atmospheres and long lasting results that are noticed because they are simple and not over complicated... even the most simplistic thing can seem complicated because of the effort required to achieve the goal from that simplistic perspective. Zen is in for the Win

arb

Semi shaved ape
There is a link between cracking seeds, nurturing each plant, the harvest, the trimming, drying and curing, and ultimately consuming the plant. There is a unity, and a connection to this

@Madri-Gal..............possibly the closest articulation for how it is for me.
Much like producing your own food.

FabulatorPoeta

Where has the time gone?
There is a link between cracking seeds, nurturing each plant, the harvest, the trimming, drying and curing, and ultimately consuming the plant. There is a unity, and a connection to this

@Madri-Gal..............possibly the closest articulation for how it is for me.
Much like producing your own food.

Definitely so... I rejoice that both of you are able to do it like this... and I am a little envious... in a good way:peace:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@FabulatorPoeta , interesting comparison. I don't think that many people realize that opium was a major vaporization movement. Everyone calls them opium pipes... but they were really opium vaporizers. Kinda cool!

@C No Ego , I definitely appreciate the simple approach. I don't think that the process needs to be filled with accessories and utensils and...things.. all that is really required is a good herbs and a way to use them.

I think that clearly shows this is probably more about your mindset. I guess where the vape accessories and environment come into play is when... or if.. they could help to encourage a positive mindset. For example, @FabulatorPoeta 's use of the Vapcap. Seems clear that the whole experience of using that particular vaporizer helps to set the mood. Things would feel very different if instead of a Vapcap... you had to use a..."insert the device that aggravates you the most"...

For myself, the Japanese refined arts mentioned in my first post are often far too strict. Most of those traditional rituals seem awkward to me, and would most likely result in the opposite effect for my mindset.

I love the idea that cannabis is sort of wild and free, and you can really do whatever you want to enjoy it. Perhaps the "way of cannabis" is that there is no way.

Perhaps all I want to say is that it feels nice to use well designed/made things.... and being a little more mindful about your vaporizing routines can help set the right tone for your experience. Perhaps it's as simple as that, and it's best to leave it to grow organically.

And maybe this is more about the future of cannabis... where this is all going. In which case I guess I do have some faith in the free market.

I find that our enjoyment of nature is often through a very...thick..filter. Tea is a good example. We are trying to enjoy tea....tea dust behind that paper teabag... behind the processing and marketing..behind the rushed steeping... is that really tea? Can the tea leaf really be enjoyed in this way? I don't think so. There is just no way that you can see through such a thick filter... it's blacked out the true image of where that tea came from. It's just a vague blurry image of nature.

But again.. I come back to the idea that what if this tea bag is what you enjoy most. What if it reminds you of your childhood... what if it has become a positive ritual to brew tea in this way... and who am I to say that a tea bag is not better than loose leaf if the end goal is happiness.

I guess it's all about the individual.

Yet, It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a loose framework to start from.. some sort of way to best approach cannabis. A certain vibe to begin exploring. Some way to help encourage mindful enjoyment, discourage negative use habits... surely that couldn't be a bad thing.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I like to diffuse essential oils during my sessions to get the olfactory responses flowing.
Roots, dub, funk, and soul music to promote med-i-tation and conscious thoughts & actions.

And it's always important to get a nice long whiff of whatever medicine you are going to enjoy, those terpenes will stimulate the entourage effect before and after being vaporized.

I'm a pretty minimalist dude, so a simple and clean vapor experience is always part of my goals. I feel minimalism is the pinnacle of refinement, culling all extraneous items.

I'd like to get some more organic decor going, live plants and stuff to add more of that natural aura.

EverythingsHazy

I really like this.

Ritual in general can be somewhat meditative/calming. Add it onto something that's already calming and introspective, and you've got a powerful combo.

I feel like enjoying a session with a nice vaporbong setup is like sipping a glass of wine over dinner, whereas sucking down a combusted bowl in 1-2 hits through a disgustingly dirty piece of glass is like doing a shot of the cheapest, highest ABV vodka you can find, through a used solo cup from last night's beer pong game. One is a pleasant experience in and of itself, the other is just a means to an end.

FabulatorPoeta

Where has the time gone?
I really like this.

Ritual in general can be somewhat meditative/calming. Add it onto something that's already calming and introspective, and you've got a powerful combo [...]

I feel like enjoying a session with a nice vaporbong setup is like sipping a glass of wine over dinner, whereas sucking down a combusted bowl in 1-2 hits [...] One is a pleasant experience in and of itself, the other is just a means to an end.

@EverythingsHazy :tup:

uncanni

@Dan Morrison Well written for a first draft!! I totally agree with you, and wonder that you should feel at all awkward as you begin to hear and respond to the goddess's call. After I began to cultivate my own, I totally realized that she's my goddess, Mother Nature inside my house and near me at all times in all her manifestations. I worship everything about her.

Did you ever read Dough Ruskoff's essay, "Cannabis: Stealth Goddess"? You would like it a lot, I bet. You've got that mindfulness sensibility.

I loved finding and reading this thread tonight. I was just telling my brother recently that the ritual I go through every day is part of what I enjoy about using cannabis. And for me the opening to the wonder of living in the "now" brings a sense of happiness and gratefulness for being. For we live and move and have our being in what we call "God". Gratefulness is the heart of prayer... and then we just chop wood and carry water. Yes, cannabis allows these insights when treated with the proper respect.

GetLeft

I’ve never been one for ritual. Not that I don’t get what you’re all saying. Nice conversation. But these days ritual does nothing for me. I trend to the opposite. Simplicity. I want my connection to be as natural as possible. That’s why no vape has gotten between me and my milaanas. (And why I’m looking forwad to my nomad.) Few motions / distractions involved in using them. Least amount of interference between my cannabis and me. Me, my milaana in one pocket, my cannabis in another. That’s my ritual.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@GetLeft , That's my view on it as well. I think that the meaning behind ritual can be a little muddy... so maybe it's not the best word to use in this context.

But anyhow, I think you nailed it, what I was trying to get at. That is, to make the experience about the now, without distraction. For me, minimizing my vape tools down to only what is required for optimimal function seems to put me in the right frame of mind. Function = contentment, and if I'm content.. I'm more likely to be in the moment.

I think it's as simple as that for me.

FabulatorPoeta

Where has the time gone?
I guess that for me ritual is essentially at the service of intention. It promotes an atmosphere that is conducive of... whatever is important to me.

All the outward things or gestures (weed itself) are thus at the service of the inward purpose.

I found this article spelled it out simply : Cannabis Infused Intentions.

Following up on the Zen analogy, this article has insightful cconsiderations imo :
From Moment to Moment: Cannabis Awakenings
And a beautiful picture... worth a 1000 words as the saying goes...

46482029_260585064581859_7627757184918487040_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom