• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Toad from Morwood

checkyourlibido

I put my name in for #34. My only concern is that the next Toad nest drops and there's something better I like there. But I've been known to have wandering eyes :uhoh: :lol:

Good luck to everyone who's entered!
The cycle of the Toad's runs quicker. I'm guessing if we're on the waitlist, we'll all get one sooner or later.

I think it's smart to offer the Toad on a faster cycle, because the Nomad requires REAL patience, but seems well worth it.

jbm

I put my name in for #34. My only concern is that the next Toad nest drops and there's something better I like there. But I've been known to have wandering eyes :uhoh: :lol:

Good luck to everyone who's entered!
Which ones were up for the draw? I got my first choice from the batch, very excited.

jbm,

Pcloudy

Orange gradient and abstract Kanji were up.

I just put in for the orange to yellow gradient as the Kanji is not my cup of tea and would rather spend the 50 extra on accessories. I wont be heart broken if I have to wait though.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Here are the Batch 3 Toads! These will be shipped out within a couple of months, as there are still a few things to finish up.

027 - Suminagashi on pale green. This sleeve was painted in Sumi ink, using the traditional Japanese technique of suminagashi.
DSCF7996.jpg

DSCF7997.jpg

028 - Tree branches at dusk with moon. This one features a button made from mammoth ivory. Somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 yrs old. Canadian origin.
DSCF7998.jpg

DSCF7999.jpg

029 - Orangey yellow gradient
DSCF8001.jpg

DSCF8002.jpg

030 - Ink painting inspired by the Tamarack swamps around my home.
DSCF8003.jpg

DSCF8004.jpg

031 - Deep Indigo fade.
DSCF8005.jpg
DSCF8006.jpg

032 - Goldfish in pond. This sleeve also uses the suminagashi technique. The sumi ink is applied to handmade washi paper that is then layered over top of the goldfish painting.
DSCF8007.jpg

DSCF8008.jpg

033 - Subtle greenish blue fade.
DSCF8010.jpg

DSCF8011.jpg

034 - Abstract kanji.
DSCF8012.jpg

DSCF8013.jpg

035 - Sunset landscape with yellow/pink abalone button.
DSCF8014.jpg

DSCF8017.jpg

036 - Abstract mountain with abalone moon button.
DSCF8018.jpg
DSCF8023.jpg

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
So much fun to see each “unveiling” Dan. Just amazing stuff. Every. Time.

Some random thoughts:
I guess I can see why #29 & #34 were chosen last (not that any of Dan’s vapes could be last).
#29 is very subtle (although in person probably more distinct), so it’s harder to show off to a simple layperson.
Sidenote: i love showing off my Nomad - but sometimes I get blank stares at my enthusiasm. They don’t get to use it. :lol:

#34 is a little too light for me - but I assume* the background will darken up a bit and look fantastic after a few weeks of handling. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Congrats to all the lucky soon-to-be recipients- you all are getting something special!

*please correct my assumption if wrong.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah let's let Dan give us the stats? I thought I would have comments, but they're just all too beautiful, the detailed abstract paint work, and the lovely simple gradients too... I think this batch would have been a tough one to rank if I was choosing for myself!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Toad stats from Batch 3!

Top 3 Most Popular (ranked system – top choice = 5 points, last choice = 1 point)
  • No. 028 - Tree branches at dusk with moon
  • No. 032 - Goldfish in pond - suminagashi
  • No. 033 - Subtle greenish blue fade
There were 10 Toads and 9 names for this batch.

Of those 9, 6 people got their first choices, and 1 person got their second choice, 1 person got their 4th choice, and 1 person decided to wait until the next batch.

For the two “leftover” Toads, I offered them for sale to the Toad waitlist via a lottery / random draw system. There were 90 people who entered in the draw. There were a total of 79 names in the pool for Toad #029 (orangey gradient), and 71 names for Toad #034 (blue abstract kanji). I used a random number generator to pick a name for each Toad, and they each found a happy home.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Yeah, I hope it’s not bad form to comment on the batch you were in but I’m excited to bring mine home 😀. I think from holding out on the first two drops I was at or near to the front. I was really torn between the tree branches and moon and the koi fish—the button is just perfect on the tree branches! Koi fish really speaks to me though, so very happy with it. Congrats to everyone else getting one!

I also really enjoyed the Tamarack scene and the sunset. Haven’t seen a toad with an abalone button before, but I bet that one looks amazing in the right light!

fangorn

Thanks for sharing your work Dan!!!
They are truly works of art and I felt like I was strolling through an art gallery...
I think that overall I preferred lot 2... I find #35, #30, #36 and #28 magnificent... if I had to choose, I wouldn't have left any of them out ... or maybe a... I find the combination of buttons very very successful.
I would love to see in the future, toad class photos... you know, a little collective photo!

I like the design of the Nomad 2 and the possibilities of the nomad 1... but I think the toads are the perfect synthesis... with the expression of your creativity... it's great!
I like that the sleeve does not come off.
since lot 1 i can't help but wonder what the units would look like if you left a strip of wood exposed at the top (same dimension as the bottom plate...) i have the feel like it would be more balanced... more symmetrical, but I imagine you've already considered that...

ah and i said it before but i still love the process...i wanted to participate in the choices for this lot!! haha

Thank you again for sharing and... long live the toads!!

Vaporware

Very nice batch, Dan! My favorites are 30, 32, 28, 35 and 27 in roughly that order. Some could switch though, and while the simple sleeves never seem to make it to the top of my list I still think there are some great colors in there too!

I hate listing so many since it might seem like I dislike the rest, but this is just sorting very good to great and at least all of those I’d call great. :rockon:

The moon button on 28 really tempts me to put it higher, and I like that element showing up in a few of them, but the way the swamp is done (along with its tie to the Toad spawning grounds) and the suminagashi goldfish are really cool and different!

I guess I should be glad some of these didn’t show up earlier because they’d have made my decision a lot harder!

:popcorn:

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Honestly, my favourite part about this recent batch, with its lucky new owners, is that I’m that much closer to getting my shipping email! Haha. I know it’s coming very very soon and I cannot wait to start taking pics with that Mammoth.

Last edited:

attackpoints

This batch is really lovely. Amazing work as always!

#27 is really making me think of some topographic maps. I love how well the button on #32 matches with the goldfish swimming. The button moons on #28 and #36 are also quite beautiful. I'm enjoying how much you're playing with toads as a canvas. Then #35 is really giving me some Tatooine vibes. How much do you agonize over button choices? They all seem so well matched.

The top 3 of this batch doesn't surprise me much at all. But wow I would have had such a hard time picking a top 3. The standouts for me are 27, 28, 35, and 36. (In no order, people in this batch had a tough time I'm sure.)

Honorable mention to number 34, that blue patch on the back reminds me of a night sky. What does the kanji say?

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Anyone else from batch 2 refreshing their email every half hour this week? I’m about ready to drive to Dan’s house.

Full disclosure, I’m actually pretty salty that Dan decided to get going on another batch of (beautiful) toads. Obviously they aren’t fully completed, but those sleeves must take a lot of time and focus. Anyways, I’m salty not because more people are getting them, but because those of us who have been waiting since Christmas on a fully paid for product are not getting priority.

checkyourlibido

Anyone else from batch 2 refreshing their email every half hour this week? I’m about ready to drive to Dan’s house.

Full disclosure, I’m actually pretty salty that Dan decided to get going on another batch of (beautiful) toads. Obviously they aren’t fully completed, but those sleeves must take a lot of time and focus. Anyways, I’m salty not because more people are getting them, but because those of us who have been waiting since Christmas on a fully paid for product are not getting priority.
I was about to go off on you for being salty, but this was a good point that changed my mind:

Anyways, I’m salty not because more people are getting them, but because those of us who have been waiting since Christmas on a fully paid for product are not getting priority.

I would be salty as well. But... look at it this way. And I'm not trying to insult Dan, though this may come across that way...

I've worked in many fields with creative people. One thing that is the same across all those fields, is that the creative people are always late. I used to get so frustrated with it, it would hold up projects, and if I'm project managing something it's even more annoying. But at some point I realized, in my anecdotal experience, the best creatives do things in their own time. I learned that if I rush them, the work quality just goes down. You see, I learned art can't be rushed.

The Toad, Nomad, and the sleeves are all art. We can't rush them. I understand feeling salty about waiting, your feelings are valid. I just hope that future people going into this will read experiences like yours and understand that as with any great art, it can't be rushed.

Edit to add: working on 1 project can drive someone crazy. Him also working on Toad's sounds like it might help keep Dan in the artisan vape game longer. That's just how I look at it at least. People have to be happy. Let him work on what he wants to work on. The good thing about Toad's is more people get their hands on his pieces faster.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I was about to go off on you for being salty, but this was a good point that changed my mind:

I would be salty as well. But... look at it this way. And I'm not trying to insult Dan, though this may come across that way...

I've worked in many fields with creative people. One thing that is the same across all those fields, is that the creative people are always late. I used to get so frustrated with it, it would hold up projects, and if I'm project managing something it's even more annoying. But at some point I realized, in my anecdotal experience, the best creatives do things in their own time. I learned that if I rush them, the work quality just goes down. You see, I learned art can't be rushed.

The Toad, Nomad, and the sleeves are all art. We can't rush them. I understand feeling salty about waiting, your feelings are valid. I just hope that future people going into this will read experiences like yours and understand that as with any great art, it can't be rushed.

Edit to add: working on 1 project can drive someone crazy. Him also working on Toad's sounds like it might help keep Dan in the artisan vape game longer. That's just how I look at it at least. People have to be happy. Let him work on what he wants to work on. The good thing about Toad's is more people get their hands on his pieces faster.
Yeah I’m not trying to insult Dan either, but I remain firm in my criticism. I’ve been told a hundred times over that art can’t be rushed and this is a fact I full understand and accept, as I’m a creative person myself and my life has been always been involved with other people of that nature.

But let’s be real, the “Art” part of this project was completed in October of last year. Batch 1 and 2 were completed at the same time. There is of course the add-ons and assembly of the heater modules, and the case (which is made by steph) but should that really take this much time.

The Toad is of course meant to be Dan’s side project, and I was happy to sit back while he was working diligently at catching up on Nomad stuff (which is a whole other can of worms that I won’t get into). But then to see another batch of toads in the works just leaves a salty taste.

I’ll be happy once I get it, no doubt about it. And I did get an email a little over 2 weeks ago saying batch 2 would be going out in 1.5-2weeks, but as all things with Dan I add at least another 2 weeks - 2 months into any of his time estimates haha.

jbm

Yeah I’m not trying to insult Dan either, but I remain firm in my criticism. I’ve been told a hundred times over that art can’t be rushed and this is a fact I full understand and accept, as I’m a creative person myself and my life has been always been involved with other people of that nature.

But let’s be real, the “Art” part of this project was completed in October of last year. Batch 1 and 2 were completed at the same time. There is of course the add-ons and assembly of the heater modules, and the case (which is made by steph) but should that really take this much time.

The Toad is of course meant to be Dan’s side project, and I was happy to sit back while he was working diligently at catching up on Nomad stuff (which is a whole other can of worms that I won’t get into). But then to see another batch of toads in the works just leaves a salty taste.

I’ll be happy once I get it, no doubt about it. And I did get an email a little over 2 weeks ago saying batch 2 would be going out in 1.5-2weeks, but as all things with Dan I add at least another 2 weeks - 2 months into any of his time estimates haha.
I'm in batch 2 for the Nomad IIs, and I just snagged a Toad in batch 3. It's been just about 2 years since I put in my order for the II. Yes, the wait can be frustrating, though somewhat mitigated by Dan's level of communication. I've never felt like I've been forgotten, nor has any email I've sent him gone unanswered. I don't really know what to tell you. I could be salty at you for your Toad delaying my Nomad II. The workmanship is worth waiting for. If you're that sick of waiting I believe Dan has a no questions asked refund policy.

fangorn

this thread, and the threads relating to the works of Dan, are for me, the most interesting threads and the most pleasant in terms of state of mind...
I sincerely understand the frustration... some days it's more present than others... but...
please, let's not spoil these subjects...

Well...
could someone share the outside dimensions of the glass and wood stems please? looking for storage and transport solutions helps me to wait! 😁

Last edited:

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I'm in batch 2 for the Nomad IIs, and I just snagged a Toad in batch 3. It's been just about 2 years since I put in my order for the II. Yes, the wait can be frustrating, though somewhat mitigated by Dan's level of communication. I've never felt like I've been forgotten, nor has any email I've sent him gone unanswered. I don't really know what to tell you. I could be salty at you for your Toad delaying my Nomad II. The workmanship is worth waiting for. If you're that sick of waiting I believe Dan has a no questions asked refund policy.
I don’t need you to tell me anything, thank you. I said what I said and there wasn’t any questions attached. I’m not a “yes man” and in my opinion this thread doesn’t have enough fair criticism of the experience surrounding this vape, and with Dan’s devices, actually using the thing is only half of the experience. The other half is spent right here.

If I was in your position I would indeed be all sorts of salty about the unfolding of events, but just because you aren’t, doesn’t mean my position is unjustified. I’ve actually had a few people message me in agreement, but don’t want to comment in this thread.

No spoiled thread here Fangorn! It’s part and parcel for a healthy discussion, it can’t be all sunshine and rainbows. I do wish I could answer your diameter questions though! But since there is only 15 of these in the wild..... 😉

Edit: I might also add that email updates I received along the way held no basis in reality. The initial email said, these will be out the door by middle of January, when that didn’t happen we received an update near the middle of feb saying that he’s burning the midnight oil to get nomads out and the toad project will have to wait, but the good news was that they only need about a week of work. Fast forward to middle of April where we had the last update saying work has resumed on batch 2, and should be 2 weeks tops.

Had I known what I was in for at the start, I would have backed out and moved on with my life. But now I’m invested in both time and money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom