• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Toad from Morwood

Improvaper

Right now Im here drooling over just the heater. I have no clue how he makes these so perfect. Just look at this craziness. Flawless! Think about this before complaining about how long these take to produce...

20220119_222927-01.jpeg

games-loaves0t

Right now Im here drooling over just the heater. I have no clue how he makes these so perfect. Just look at this craziness. Flawless! Think about this before complaining about how long these take to produce...

20220119_222927-01.jpeg
Does Dan also custom make the heaters for these? If so, I’d be interested in hearing how he makes them. I haven’t seen much talk about the heaters used in the Toad or Nomad.

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
Its the images and work in just these several albums like this that make the wait totally justified. Just the amount of work and custom tooling /jigs to pull of something as small as the heater makes my head spin. I love that little jig he uses to ripple the wire.
As I wait for my name to come up on this list ill just enjoy all the content the new toad owners will be posting. (😜hint).
I think w this device im most excited for the modularity and the potential for future updates. I love the idea of a drop in heater for concentrates amd I really dig the magnettic bottom plate.

Improvaper

Hey @Dan Morrison , I know you sent a maintenance guide to Toad buyers, but as it was Nomad-based, I was just wondering if there are any special care considerations for the Toad's wrap. You sent wax along with it... is it safe to assume we can wax the whole thing?

Man, I just can't stop holding it. I don't wanna get it gross with finger oils, but I don't wanna put it down either. Help!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Improvaper , Yep! Use that wood wax on the entire thing. Its a blend of beeswax and mineral oil.

The shell composite is completely different from the Nomad I sleeves. It's quite waterproof. It doesn't need to be waxed as often as wood... maybe once every month for the first few months, and then after that... maybe just when it looks like it needs it, every few months... or every 6 months.

The wood wax will act as a cleaner as well, lifting out hand oils and dirt. Rub the surface vigorously with a cotton cloth to remove excess wax and the dirt will lift off as well. You want to rub off as much of the wood wax as you can after applying it, or it may feel too waxy. It should feel dry and matte/velvety. The shell is not very porous, so it doesn't soak in wax like wood does.

I think you'll find the shell to be very durable. Mine has been put through the ringer and still looks like the day I made it pretty much. It will get a bit of patina, but not a lot. It's oddly resistant to scratches as well. Keep in mind that I've already sanded these shells quite heavily with...sandpaper... so, you can always sand out scratches or whatever in the future.

The white spongey sheet included in the ziplock is for polishing the electrical contacts. After polishing, if you don't touch the brass... it will practically never need cleaning. If you touch it, even once, your finger grime will cause it to oxidize slowly...and it may need cleaning more often, basically if you ever feel performance drop, it means there is either a speck of dust between the heater and the brass contact ring (most likely), or there is a contact somewhere that needs cleaning.

If I experience performance drop, I first wipe off the heater shell and try again. Next step, I clean the heater shell more carefully, and use the white polishing pad on the heaters center pin. Then if that still doesn't fix it, I use the polishing pad on both ends of the spring loaded brass contact, only polishing where it contacts the battery, and where it contacts the heaters center pin. Final step is to use the white pad to polish the brass heater module contact ring, only where it makes contact with the heater module, just around the lip of the hole. A quick swipe with the pad using your finger to press and spin the pad against that lip is all thats needed.

Rarely, the button contacts need cleaning.

All of this will be in a much better photo guide soon... I've been going ham on finishing Nomad IIs latelly, and those are taking priority... even though I know it's silly not to have a better guide out by now!

namasteIII

I cant really speak on the road but I know w the nomads it came w 2 kinds of wax. One for the paper sleeve one for the wood itself. I should prob reach out to @Dan Morrison more as the one for the sleeve dried up on me. (Unless it can be re softened)
Woah really? I was just thinking last night I wanted to do something like that to my nomad sleeve but thought it wasn’t a thing and didn’t feel like bothering Dan to ask. Mine only came with 1 type of wax that I thought was for the wood, but maybe its for both?

Also @Improvaper appreciate the videos dude. Happy your are getting along so happily with new Toad friend.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
That one’s a beauty, sea to sky. Congrats.

Thank you! Couldn't be happier with it, and the pics barely translate the beauty of it. The sleeve, button, and case all come together perfectly.

If I experience performance drop, I first wipe off the heater shell and try again. Next step, I clean the heater shell more carefully, and use the white polishing pad on the heaters center pin. Then if that still doesn't fix it, I use the polishing pad on both ends of the spring loaded brass contact, only polishing where it contacts the battery, and where it contacts the heaters center pin. Final step is to use the white pad to polish the brass heater module contact ring, only where it makes contact with the heater module, just around the lip of the hole. A quick swipe with the pad using your finger to press and spin the pad against that lip is all thats needed.

Rarely, the button contacts need cleaning.

I think I might have to clean the contacts on mine. I noticed it said to do so in the Nomad quick start guide, but I was too excited and skipped that part. It was heating how I would expect the low heater to act but then out of nowhere it would kick up and get hot. Or it could really just be me getting readjusted to a non regulated vape, its been a while since I've used one. When I got it to work, it was heavenly. Really looking forward to using this more

Watching @Improvaper vids I think I need to be preheating longer. I'll clean the contacts and try a longer preheat and see how that goes

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@BrianTL , Most likely your contacts don't need cleaning, these brass contacts rarely do.

The most common culprit of performance swings, is dust between the heater module contact and the brass ring. I give the heater shell a quick wipe on my shirt and blow it off to remove dust.

Could also be just a matter of dialing in a consistent inhale... with no air restriction I find it can be hard to get used to at first, depending on the other vapes you're used to.

And around 3-5 second pre-heat should be plenty with the high heater.

To test the device, remove the stem, turn off the lights, and look down the stem hole. Press the button and count how long it takes for you to just start to see the heater glow a dull, dim, red. With the high on a fresh battery it should be around 10 seconds.

If this is the case, you know 100% that everything is working as it should.

If you want to do this test more than once, suck air through the heater to cool it back down to room temp, as any residual heat will have an effect on the test.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
@BrianTL , Most likely your contacts don't need cleaning, these brass contacts rarely do.

The most common culprit of performance swings, is dust between the heater module contact and the brass ring. I give the heater shell a quick wipe on my shirt and blow it off to remove dust.

Could also be just a matter of dialing in a consistent inhale... with no air restriction I find it can be hard to get used to at first, depending on the other vapes you're used to.

And around 3-5 second pre-heat should be plenty with the high heater.

To test the device, remove the stem, turn off the lights, and look down the stem hole. Press the button and count how long it takes for you to just start to see the heater glow a dull, dim, red. With the high on a fresh battery it should be around 10 seconds.

If this is the case, you know 100% that everything is working as it should.

If you want to do this test more than once, suck air through the heater to cool it back down to room temp, as any residual heat will have an effect on the test.

I was doing 5-7 second preheats so I guess that wasn't the issue. Ill clean the heater like you suggested. I checked the voltage on the cells I was using, both above 4.0 but I'll try some fresh off the charger later.

Only other thing, I have always inserted my batteries positive end first. I noticed @Improvaper has positive side facing the magnetic lid in his video. Does it matter?

I also thought it could be my inhale, I'm sure it'll take me a few runs to get it dialed in. Like I said it's been a while since I've used anything similar to the toad.

Overall though I am so beyond impressed with the toad, the detail and craftmanship is wild. Such a high-quality feel to it, theres no question of any shortcuts. Dealing with Dan has also been a pleasure... really can't wait to get this dialed in!

Funny, also like @Improvaper said, I didn't want to put it down last night. I even thought to myself I better wash my hands every time before I pick up the toad...can't say I've ever thought that about a vape before. It is art.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@BrianTL , Batteries should be oriented positive side facing out, towards the bottom. The positive end has the vent holes... so, technically it's good to have them face outwards, just in case.

BUT, it doesn't matter as far as performance goes. It'll work either way.

And thank you!! :cheers:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
@BrianTL Also make sure you are fully pressing the button in all the way

Yeah caught myself slipping on that a couple of times, I'm sure that didn't help my case.

I stopped home for lunch today and atleast confirmed the heater glows, around 10 seconds, maybe a touch longer.

I did something fucky last night. Probably just a case of impatience/excitement

Top Bottom