The Toad from Morwood

MrBaked.co

Makes sense, seeing those pictures... ;)
Think i'll do the same tbh!
How long is the wait approximately?
And do you have an idea what the prices are (more or less)?
Well, I was on the wait for the toad for about 6 months I think after being on the nomad 2 lists for a couple of years(I think).
I am in batch 5 and ordered in August and will be shipped around January. So it depends on what batch you get in for a timescale.

Price-wise, it was approx $350 all in, but mine was one of the cheaper ones. the VHS one for example was around about $600 before any accessories and I so wish I could have afforded that because it was awesome.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Makes sense, seeing those pictures... ;)
Think i'll do the same tbh!
How long is the wait approximately?
And do you have an idea what the prices are (more or less)?
I’m going to assume the wait will be at least a full year, at the very very least. Prices will be mostly dependant on what sort of extras you want. For example in batch 2, for a base Toad, it was between $300-400usd depending on the artwork. Mine was $715cad after all my add-ons + taxes + shipping + currency conversion.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I’m going to assume the wait will be at least a full year, at the very very least. Prices will be mostly dependant on what sort of extras you want. For example in batch 2, for a base Toad, it was between $300-400usd depending on the artwork. Mine was $715cad after all my add-ons + taxes + shipping + currency conversion.
This was my experience too. I was in the very first batch, but I waited for a few to get one of my top picks. The more “plain” toads—gradients and such—were $350-400 with one heater and a glass stem. I think mine came to just shy of $600 with a Blackwood stem, carrying pouch, couple glass stems, and some screens and beads. The accessories are all pretty cheap save for the wooden stem and carrying pouch, but those look exquisite so it would have been hard for me to pass the full set. If you’re only ever using at home you could, though.

As others said it’s a surprisingly durable little portable. No issues with cold or precipitation here either, but I haven’t dropped mine into puddles or anything like that.

MrBaked.co

Back in June the estimated wait for a Toad was 8-12 months. I would imagine closer to 12+ now.
And it gets longer all the time. At the point of paying(august) I was told 2 months. Then at the end of october we were told november which is cool but then we learned the delay was due to painting the next batch which tbh, wasn't happy about..

Now at the end of November, We've been told January 🤮 so as long as it doesn't come at the expense of painting the next, next batch I'll be cool.

I really don't know why painting the next batch got priority over finishing previous batches🤑🤑 but then again I'm sure the Nomad guys that paid ages ago are saying the same about the Toads..

An explanation wound be nice. I sold most of my vapes in prep for getting this one and the delay had initiated my VAS and caused me to buy a legacy pro. Not ideal 🤣

Last edited:

Arawfish

Green Thumb
And it gets longer all the time. At the point of paying(august) I was told 2 months. Then at the end of october we were told november which is cool but then we learned the delay was due to painting the next batch which tbh, wasn't happy about..

Now at the end of November, We've been told January 🤮 so as long as it doesn't come at the expense of painting the next, next batch I'll be cool.

I really don't know why painting the next batch got priority over finishing previous batches🤑🤑 but then again I'm sure the Nomad guys that paid ages ago are saying the same about the Toads..

An explanation wound be nice. I sold most of my vapes in prep for getting this one and the delay had initiated my VAS and caused me to buy a legacy pro. Not ideal 🤣
Hey, I remember this episode! 🙃

jds

You're free to get off the wait list if you're unhappy. Dan offers full refunds. There's no cash grab going on, as you seem to imply.

You can't rush this kind of product. It is entirely handmade and pretty much a work of art. This entire thing is a one man operation, so it obviously takes time to finish Nomads and Toads.

Vaporware

I think the delays come from a variety of things…Dan isn’t an assembly-line worker who just puts together heaters all day or something. I’m pretty sure he’s still designing, building, finishing and painting everything on everything that comes out of the shop (except the cases which his partner is involved in).

As someone who is also driven to do a lot of different things, I couldn’t stand to sand hour after hour for days to get a batch done. Even if I could manage it physically without messing myself up, it would quickly drain my will to continue with the project.

I think the variety of things he does is probably a key reason these are still available at all, and some of those tasks go toward future batches.

Also, while these don’t seem cheap to us as buyers, I think he spends a lot of time on them that is not reflected in the price. Because they take so much time I think he’s had to sell more into the future to keep things going. You can only stretch the profits from one batch so far…

Imagine how much more time it takes to build by hand than something like a Mighty (which costs almost as much) takes to make in a factory.

I wish I had the money to pay him to finish up what’s already in the pipeline and take some time off to recharge, but as it stands I suspect he has to get started on future batches and still do his best for all of us to make ends meet.

Maybe we would prefer if he doubled the prices and got smaller batches done fast, but I suspect a lot of people would balk at that idea… :sherlock:

Nothing I’ve seen from him has been half-assed, and with the attention to detail he has that takes time. Despite being far more affected by delays than most of you on my Nomad, I still feel like it’s been well worth the wait and I feel like I underpaid for it given the amount of time he’s spent on it and talking to me about it.

For anyone who’s sold other things to fund one of these though, I completely get the frustration. I waited a long time without a decent convection portable because I didn’t want to waste money on things I didn’t really love.

If someone really needs theirs faster and isn’t just impatient to get their 10th or 50th vaporizer, I suspect Dan would help you out if he could. It’s at least worth checking in if you’re in that situation.

I can’t speak for him or what he can do to accommodate people in those situations, but I can tell you he’s a good guy doing his best for every one of us and I hope that he can find a good way to tighten up the timelines a bit.

If it doesn’t eat too much time, maybe a full batch or two of $600-800 or so Toads like the recent vintage tape one would help get things back on track? I suspect it took a lot of time though, so that may not save time as much as shift it to painting…

I do hope he finds a way to estimate timelines better that works for him and doesn’t price most of us out, but if I had the money available I’d be happy to pay those prices for a really nice piece, and I trust him enough to wait as long as necessary to make it all work. :)

attackpoints

Me and MrBaked must be in the same batch, but I think the difference is my expectation for receiving the toad was already 3-4 months. I can't remember if this was an estimate Dan gave (if I were Dan I'd be afraid to give estimates at this point lol) but going by past batches that's also been the time frame. New batch comes out, new toad owners in around 4 months.

It sucks to wait, but considering the alternative is probably a drop system? I'm not sure there's a way to make everyone happy. Switching to drops doesn't mean eliminating the lead time either. Only offering completed devices would likely mean smaller/more infrequent toad batches.

I dunno. I enjoy the current system a lot, enough where I'd be interested in future Nomad batches going the same route but that's a different discussion. I think it's fun to watch Dan flex creatively, but I also have other devices to enjoy. Guess I'm just saying I sympathize @MrBaked.co The alternative to waiting is to ask for a refund. It's a bit of a wrestle with the sunk cost fallacy, but I do like when discussions like this come up so others know what to expect when they join the waitlist.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
I think @feralcomprehension nailed it— the reason most of us are drawn to Dan’s work is because it blurs the line between art and commerce. “Functional art” gets thrown around a lot, esp on the Nomad thread, and while I don’t have one in hand (yet) to judge, I think the artistic process is a useful lens by which to view it.

After all, these are not fungible commodity items. Each is unique. I can see how that birch bark Nomad would have jammed the whole production pipeline— after all, it would have required Dan to modify his process to tackle its unique material challenges, which of course takes time and time away from all the other Toads and Nomads in the queue. But I’m still glad it exists, I’m glad to have seen it, and I’m glad @Lozo will shed a little tear of joy for Karelia every time he gets blazed with it.

If nothing else, take comfort in the knowledge that somewhere in a backyard shed in the vast northern wilderness known as Canada, there is a man who is casting tiny screws, crimping nichrome ribbons, harvesting lichens, and painstakingly cutting, carving, sanding, lathing, and finishing various wood bits, as well as painting and printing his own designs with skills and techniques that were largely self-taught and self-developed, to create each exacting detail in a craft art piece that gets you high. The rest of the world may be going to shit, but that’s one for the plus column.

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
This is a luxury product. Everybody is lucky Dan doesn't charge double+. Wait times be damned. There are a plethora of non-luxury vaporizers with ready availability. Compare the cost/wait times to custom espresso machines, high end headphones/speakers, bespoke clothing, purses, etc.

MrBaked.co

You're free to get off the wait list if you're unhappy. Dan offers full refunds. There's no cash grab going on, as you seem to imply.

You can't rush this kind of product. It is entirely handmade and pretty much a work of art. This entire thing is a one man operation, so it obviously takes time to finish Nomads and Toads.
I'm also free to moan when I don't think something is happening in the correct order 😉

I think the delays come from a variety of things…Dan isn’t an assembly-line worker who just puts together heaters all day or something. I’m pretty sure he’s still designing, building, finishing and painting everything on everything that comes out of the shop (except the cases which his partner is involved in).

As someone who is also driven to do a lot of different things, I couldn’t stand to sand hour after hour for days to get a batch done. Even if I could manage it physically without messing myself up, it would quickly drain my will to continue with the project.

I think the variety of things he does is probably a key reason these are still available at all, and some of those tasks go toward future batches.

Also, while these don’t seem cheap to us as buyers, I think he spends a lot of time on them that is not reflected in the price. Because they take so much time I think he’s had to sell more into the future to keep things going. You can only stretch the profits from one batch so far…

Imagine how much more time it takes to build by hand than something like a Mighty (which costs almost as much) takes to make in a factory.

I wish I had the money to pay him to finish up what’s already in the pipeline and take some time off to recharge, but as it stands I suspect he has to get started on future batches and still do his best for all of us to make ends meet.

Maybe we would prefer if he doubled the prices and got smaller batches done fast, but I suspect a lot of people would balk at that idea… :sherlock:

Nothing I’ve seen from him has been half-assed, and with the attention to detail he has that takes time. Despite being far more affected by delays than most of you on my Nomad, I still feel like it’s been well worth the wait and I feel like I underpaid for it given the amount of time he’s spent on it and talking to me about it.

For anyone who’s sold other things to fund one of these though, I completely get the frustration. I waited a long time without a decent convection portable because I didn’t want to waste money on things I didn’t really love.

If someone really needs theirs faster and isn’t just impatient to get their 10th or 50th vaporizer, I suspect Dan would help you out if he could. It’s at least worth checking in if you’re in that situation.

I can’t speak for him or what he can do to accommodate people in those situations, but I can tell you he’s a good guy doing his best for every one of us and I hope that he can find a good way to tighten up the timelines a bit.

If it doesn’t eat too much time, maybe a full batch or two of $600-800 or so Toads like the recent vintage tape one would help get things back on track? I suspect it took a lot of time though, so that may not save time as much as shift it to painting…

I do hope he finds a way to estimate timelines better that works for him and doesn’t price most of us out, but if I had the money available I’d be happy to pay those prices for a really nice piece, and I trust him enough to wait as long as necessary to make it all work. :)
I suppose this makes it a little more inderstandable.

I run a business and I've run many businesses and I'm just use to customers being dealt with in order of purchase so was a bit miffed with this process bit your post explains more and makes it a more understandable which is all I was after.

I'd of honestly have preferred if Dan had done the opposite and said look, these are at this stage, who wants one, they won't be ready for 6 months. Then if they were ready in 3/4/5 months... Great. Going the opposite direction and overpromising on timeframe leads to people like me selling all their vapes then getting hit with a delay.

Royal Mail is not helping the cause. After I got the email to say the Toad is delayed till January I ordered airvape pro on next day delivery guaranteed by 1pm Tuesday and it never arrived and now its been sitting in the depot since as they strike Wednesday/Thursday..

Not moaning about the strikers btw, they sre entitled to a decent wage so told the guy selling me the vape to get his postage money back which in turn helps the strike..

checkyourlibido

The Mighty looks like something my VCR pooped out. Whereas the Toad looks like a powerful gift from the tree gods.

I should start a separate thread for best dressed vape. Or who wore it better for accessories. Anyway, I'm still here patiently waiting. I really forget I'm waiting until this thread gets bumped. I'm sure I'll be humble bragging about my Toad soon enough.

attackpoints

This is a luxury product. Everybody is lucky Dan doesn't charge double+. Wait times be damned. There are a plethora of non-luxury vaporizers with ready availability. Compare the cost/wait times to custom espresso machines, high end headphones/speakers, bespoke clothing, purses, etc.
I reckon you're right. I'm interested to know what they would auction for, just out of curiosity. The reality is (for me) that at double the price, I would probably pause before purchasing, where it was a no brainer at 300-400 USD. I think I'd probably go as high as double that for a design I was really into.

I don't want to seem ungrateful so I hope I'm not reading that way, but yeah. Waiting is waiting sometimes. Waits do end! But it's much easier when I put it out of my head like @checkyourlibido said.

I hope Dan takes it as a compliment, seems like most folks are just eager. I'm happy to be along for the ride and particularly enjoy this thread/the nomad thread for the peaks into the process. Keep at it, Dan! Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Vaporware

The Mighty looks like something my VCR pooped out. Whereas the Toad looks like a powerful gift from the tree gods.

We’re on the same page, I was only comparing their prices because some of these mass-produced plastic “VCR poop” devices cost nearly as much as a Toad and the Toad takes a lot more time and probably more expensive materials to make. :)

I agree with everything cx714 and feralcomprehension were saying too!

Oden

I have been on the Nomad list since September 27, 2020.
After reconnecting with Dan, he registered me on September 18, 2022 on a hybrid list for the Toad!
I'm very happy to be able to own a Toad in the future.
And that long wait is worth it, and I don't mind at all.

fangorn

Hello amphibian lovers!

well... me again... if you get tired of my photos, put a not happy smiley in reaction, it will be okay !!
I have fun... and then I don't have many people around me who would understand my passion for this device!

and I would love to see lots of pictures of Toad... I imagined that with a larger number of lucky people, I could observe lots of toads in their natural environment... I must be more crazy about my toad than the others haha ...

(if you have a Toad and post images on Instagram, I would like your contact in PM please!)

and there I just discovered the trick to switch to "desktop version" from your mobile phone with Imgur... thank you obviously @Shit Snacks for giving this advice a twentieth time I imagine and @PutOneInTheAir for asking the question specifically for mobile phones!

So this is it...
I changed my button today... it must have been 2-3 months since I had the other one... I'll try to keep this pace!
I used it for a deep cleaning...
I even tackled the part that makes contact with the lower plate... it scared me with the springs... I imagined a cartoon scene, with the parts jumping everywhere... but absolutely not! super simple... just, I'm happy to have taken a photo before dismantling... (an excellent advice from my father...) to know roughly how to screw it back on!
there was quite a patina!

by the way @Dan Morrison , could you tell me what this little piece of paper is, the white square that you sent with the necessary for the interview? I don't know what name to look for that! and it's perfect for taking care of the toad! thank you in advance !

otherwise it took me longer than the last time to change the button... and I probably put a little too much Vaseline... but nothing dramatic! I just don't hear the "metal click" anymore when I press the button.

I'm almost certain that this maintenance session has improved performance... but it's hard to judge, I'm very sick... I should judge better in the next few days!
come on, on to the pictures!

and happy vape to all! 🐸💨

Last edited:

Oden

Hello amphibian lovers!

well... me again... if you get tired of my photos, put a not happy smiley in reaction, it will be okay !!
I have fun... and then I don't have many people around me who would understand my passion for this device!

and I would love to see lots of pictures of Toad... I imagined that with a larger number of lucky people, I could observe lots of toads in their natural environment... I must be more crazy about my toad than the others haha ...

(if you have a Toad and post images on Instagram, I would like your contact in PM please!)

and there I just discovered the trick to switch to "desktop version" from your mobile phone with Imgur... thank you obviously @Shit Snacks for giving this advice a twentieth time I imagine and @PutOneInTheAir for asking the question specifically for mobile phones!

So this is it...
I changed my button today... it must have been 2-3 months since I had the other one... I'll try to keep this pace!
I used it for a deep cleaning...
I even tackled the part that makes contact with the lower plate... it scared me with the springs... I imagined a cartoon scene, with the parts jumping everywhere... but absolutely not! super simple... just, I'm happy to have taken a photo before dismantling... (an excellent advice from my father...) to know roughly how to screw it back on!
there was quite a patina!

by the way @Dan Morrison , could you tell me what this little piece of paper is, the white square that you sent with the necessary for the interview? I don't know what name to look for that! and it's perfect for taking care of the toad! thank you in advance !

otherwise it took me longer than the last time to change the button... and I probably put a little too much Vaseline... but nothing dramatic! I just don't hear the "metal click" anymore when I press the button.

I'm almost certain that this maintenance session has improved performance... but it's hard to judge, I'm very sick... I should judge better in the next few days!
come on, on to the pictures!

and happy vape to all! 🐸💨
Hi sir.
Superb photos!
It was when I discovered your Toad on the Cannaweed forum that I wanted to change the Nomad list to go on the Toad list instead.
I hadn't come back to this thread for a long time, and I didn't even know the Toad existed until I saw yours on Cannaweed MDRRRRR

fangorn

Hi sir.
Superb photos!
It was when I discovered your Toad on the Cannaweed forum that I wanted to change the Nomad list to go on the Toad list instead.
I hadn't come back to this thread for a long time, and I didn't even know the Toad existed until I saw yours on Cannaweed MDRRRRR

Hello @Oden
your post is really cool!
Cool that the cannaweed forum is used a bit for vaping! more French people need to switch to vaping... it could start with growers... buying a decent vape to start tasting its production should be part of the essential advice!
anyway I forgot... "hello" and "goodbye"... (you will understand 😉)

Top Bottom