The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Texus

No, I'm looking at a 2nd Revolve to use with my Anvil, and would then just buy the Tempest oven and cap when it's available. Which doesn't sound like it's going to be soon.
For me, both the Revolve and metal Tempest stems get too hot for my taste with induction heaters. Especially with the powerful Imductor, but also those designed for Dynavaps. Since Anvil requires even more energy, I would not recommend pairing either with an Anvil for that reason. I just stick with stock Anvil stem with that great feeling XL mouthpiece

Texus,

HaggisHunter

That sounds a reasonable choice. But just wondering how the revolve stem copes with the heat of the Anvil (I don’t want to be off-thread, I know this is the tempest thread ^^)
Probably about as well as it deals with the heat from the tempest, not very well.

The helix etc works fine, it's the titanium sleeve, it can't process the heat fast enough, there's not enough material, that's where the heat shield really comes in, the sleeve deals with the heat and the shield separates them, making it much easier to hold.

It still gets hot but I'm happy enough with back to back bowls with it.
So as long as the older cooling units are used through the more modern sleeves they're fine.
That'sy experience anyway.

HaggisHunter,
Reactions: Petetbay

ezpz

@cybrguy
Saw this post on the dyna thread that might interest you.
Yo, I found some pretty nice Ed'sTnt-style glass DV WPAs. Only 14mm and 18mm, no 10 unfortunately.
Ed_s_TNT_DynaVap_Glass_Water_Pipe_Adapter_14mm_-_The_Herb_Cafe.jpg

I've bought a couple and they seem to fit decently--a little thinner than Ed's I think--and they're so useful.

RedZep

So I imagine there are lots of lurkers here, who can't wait to get their hands on one. Some might be disappointed the full release has not happened yet.

But at least it means it's a less risky purchase, as at this point some people have had units for a long time. So you are not getting reviews from just people in the honeymoon period.

I'm personally past the 6 months mark with the beta. I've used it every single day, apart from when I had COVID, or went travelling abroad. It remains the best vape i've ever tried. For those losing patience, just hang in there. It's really all you hear and more. It will be worth the wait.

shadymilkman

So I imagine there are lots of lurkers here, who can't wait to get their hands on one. Some might be disappointed the full release has not happened yet.

But at least it means it's a less risky purchase, as at this point some people have had units for a long time. So you are not getting reviews from just people in the honeymoon period.

I'm personally past the 6 months mark with the beta. I've used it every single day, apart from when I had COVID, or went travelling abroad. It remains the best vape i've ever tried. For those losing patience, just hang in there. It's really all you hear and more. It will be worth the wait.
I geeked that there have been a decent number of improvements over my beta unit, excited to see the final run. I should add that, this is now my new elite employee.. bfr, its amazing, and doesnt take second place to any other unit I have. I dont even look at them save to remember if I cleaned them before putting them away.

grognard3r

I'll echo RedZep and shadymilkman.

I've been using the Tempest since early December 2023. I hardly touch my other vapes, and when I do, I'm not impressed with them anymore.

The portability, stealth, economy, and taste cannot be beaten. It's worth the wait for sure.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.

My preferred way to heat my Tempest.

A hands free set up, heating the cap above the bowl for optimal ball hygiene.

Just double click to start your selected temperature (260c), kick back and wait for the first click, and keep heating until right at the edge of the second click - an addition of only 10c to 270c will causes a second click.

Pick it up and enjoy.

Stand - in Australia

I'll echo RedZep and shadymilkman.

I've been using the Tempest since early December 2023. I hardly touch my other vapes, and when I do, I'm not impressed with them anymore.

The portability, stealth, economy, and taste cannot be beaten. It's worth the wait for sure.
I use my Tempest and Thermal Accumulator I’d say more than 90% of the time; I will be honest I have had the Tempest since October or November I forget, I have always been a fan but - its only been since I have had the clicks and visual gauge that I have really pushed aside the competition in a big way (below about the wand is why).

The rest of the time it’s a Puffco Peak Pro or the PID setup I have on the desk next to the bed when I’m stuck there.

Between the two I save so much on cannabis compared to using any other device combination, I use about 1/4 overall when I just use my Tempest and TA as compared to the PID systems & I feel like I get more out of my cannabis because of the the MTL layering effects

For me, both the Revolve and metal Tempest stems get too hot for my taste with induction heaters. Especially with the powerful Imductor, but also those designed for Dynavaps. Since Anvil requires even more energy, I would not recommend pairing either with an Anvil for that reason. I just stick with stock Anvil stem with that great feeling XL mouthpiece
Tempest wooden sleeve changes everything, no issues with heat, great cool vapour, ideal for either setup - both the Revolve and the Tempest.

If you’re using anything hotter than a Dinovap - an Anvil or Tempest or TA - I'd recommend you get the Tempest Wooden Sleeve (not the Revolve wooden sleeve - specifically the one made for the Tempest) for your Tempest to get the most out of the cooling the Helix Tube can provide - without causing the sleeve to get to hot to the touch.

Alternatively, set up the Direct Tube, if you use the direct tube the Titanium radiator sleeve doesn't get hot and the airport doesn't get hot to the touch.

The brilliant thing about the Tempest and the Revolve is they both have mouthpieces that are isolated from the airpath so they don't get hot no matter how hard you hit the device, I have had to ... decommission a few stems with metal mouthpieces that aren't isolated as they become incredibly hot when using a Tempest or TA.

I think I got one about 6 months ago - was after you but similarly I have been using the Tempest beta and a updated cap with the click discs (almost perfectly calibrated) and calibrated visual gauge now for about a month.

Since getting the gauges the Tempest has become so much more versatile for me, I can keep it at the temperature I want to for long periods of time and haven't had a combustion event (outside of experimentation). Truly the device, when all its bells and whistles are working - its really quite special. Its so east to manage the heat up and re-heating of the device when you have feedback and the combination of gauges allows for the device to be so small and versatile..

PSA - NOT ALL INSPIRE WANDS ARE ALIKE

I run my wand at 265c and get 2 clicks - the same device (Tempest Cap) on @Brenyo's wand double clicks above 300c... it was the most annoying thing ever and SERIOUSLY screwed me around testing the device.... the WHOLE TIME I thought I was a complete idiot because I would combust all the time to find out my INSPIRE WAND is bloody faulty or something....

So since I have had working gauges and have now reconfigured my wand to a MUCH lower temperature everything is great and I haven't had a combustion event for ages

ALSO people using boro balls - in my testing you need to drop the wand temperature by at least 50c - maybe more depending on your wand - as the boro balls heat up SIGNIFICANTLY faster. I usually leave my Wand set to 260c and if I use boro balls I get 2 clicks and the VI will stay at the top mark for 20 seconds after the heat is removed. I usually use 220c when I am using boro, 240c when using BHO/Concentrate as I want it hotter for longer

For mtl hits (how i use to vape with it, except if i want a monster one/two hit extraction) I set the wand at 340/350C and use the tempest in the mtl manual height adding like 2/3mm in depth.
This totally proves my point, 350c causes the bowl to scorch because of radiant heat on my wand (in any configuration, set high or low)

Last edited:

Texus

updated cap with the click discs (almost perfectly calibrated)
Very jealous of the clicking cap. I'm a very recent beta buyer but nada for clicks. Clicking cap is what I most look forward to.

And totally agree on wooden Tempest stem now that I have one. With a high power IH like Inductor, even with titanium shield, it just gets too hot for me, especially after a second round of heating. Metal heat dissipation is still something that needs work and a weakness of all Mad Stems I have used.

Texus,
Reactions: dimmusp
Just gave my tempest a clean for the 1st since installing the helix airflow tube. The amount of golden goodness coating the intercooler took me by surprise! I took a piece of cotton bacon and used it too sponge up as much as i could and popped it in the chamber. Ohh my, if yous havent done this already it's definetely worth a shot, i think this is the highest i've ever been from a dry herb vape.

simba

@weedanwine

I know some people are getting antsy, but honestly I'm grateful for all the beta testing taking place and the additional time to save some cash up 😂

rebelFarmer

I am like so many others here, Use the tempest and a big desktop ball vape (frankly that only gets used when I am running some not trimmed outdoor haha! Then the waste is made up for the bad trim job).

The tempest is amazing, gonna grab a second reload to set up for hash. Just washed a bunch last week and pressed it, find the tempest is the FINEST vape based hash sipper I have ever tasted, would be nice to use with a reload that just has hash, cotton and vaped hash up top for on the go hikes etc.

Gonna pick up a wood stem on release with the upgrade kit! Loving this setup and excited to try the flare IH with it upon release. The tempest makes me want to optimize my setup for the tempest instead of trying a new vape, different kinda VAS hah I suppose!

ljstavy

Just gave my tempest a clean for the 1st since installing the helix airflow tube. The amount of golden goodness coating the intercooler took me by surprise! I took a piece of cotton bacon and used it too sponge up as much as i could and popped it in the chamber. Ohh my, if yous havent done this already it's definetely worth a shot, i think this is the highest i've ever been from a dry herb vape.
i bet tempest reclaim is way better than my dynavap reclaim but i do the same principle. I always get high thc % and also high terp % weed it leaves a very sappy like reclaim that builds up on my revolve gen 2 that's my main feature to the revolve is being able to disassemble and clean or in my case collect reclaim, clean, then reassemble.

Last edited:
ljstavy,

TankeyPankey

When @Brenyo mentions the new production of the steel parts, is he talking about the VI and click cap? Tried searching and couldn't find anything.

TankeyPankey,

kegstandman420

ALSO people using boro balls - in my testing you need to drop the wand temperature by at least 50c - maybe more depending on your wand - as the boro balls heat up SIGNIFICANTLY faster. I usually leave my Wand set to 260c and if I use boro balls I get 2 clicks and the VI will stay at the top mark for 20 seconds after the heat is removed. I usually use 220c when I am using boro, 240c when using BHO/Concentrate as I want it hotter for longer
I was using mine with stock 3mm zrc at 600f and I've found over the last week with 3mm boro 500f-510f my sweet spot. Even at like 550f I was scorching the top of the bowl, sometimes coming really close to combustion.

kegstandman420,
Reactions: VapingYogi

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Very jealous of the clicking cap. I'm a very recent beta buyer but nada for clicks. Clicking cap is what I most look forward to.
Its so close mate; you will have better discs than I do currently as they are not the release candidates; they are a earlier version - but its close enough to change the device to something I can use.

My OG Beta Tempest Cap has some interesting damage that must of happened either as part of the machining process or I caused it from over use with a faulty component. The VI (uncalibrated) wasn't working, it would get stuck and jump forwards... it was basically unusable & combined with a Wand that was faulty (I have recently discovered) I was unable to use the Tempest... it was a burnt mess - almost every time... I was so depressed.

Just after I had surgery I was able to take apart the cap and found the damages which explained the strange VI stuff that was happening so I was sent a replacement cap that had some beta test clicks and I have been lucky enough that they are close to calibrated.

If you look in the gallery below at the 3rd picture you can see the scratches that were impacting the function of my VI

RedZep

Had a video call with friend. She was skinning up a joint to smoke in her garden. I decided to grab the Tempest and reload. It was so natural casually puffing on it between sentences. The heat capacity of the balls let's you relax and toke in your own time. It was as close to the joint experience you can get. Made me feel we were doing the same activity more or less. That wouldn't have been the case with my other vapes.

Ended up going through 3 bowls as I was enjoying it so much. I've worked up a hell of an appetite

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Indeed, it's a very joint like experience! But much tastier.

About the stem getting hot: Personally i don't really have issues with the stem getting (too) hot but when going back to back to back... it can get hot ofcourse. (heating of the stem also heavily depends on the setting/cooling helix used btw)

Anyway: a possible way to avoid touching the hot stem is placing the hot Tempest on the Reolad and hit it while holding the Reolad. The moutpiece never gets hot and you can still flutter the airport with one finger.
I tend to do this sometimes without any specific reason, started when i needed both hands so placed it on the Reload and then just grabbed it by the container to keep hitting it. Kinda liked it so now i do that sometimes but just realized this can be done to handle the Tempest when it's too hot to hold but you still want to vape like right now!! ;)

bobothevaper

Indeed, it's a very joint like experience! But much tastier.

About the stem getting hot: Personally i don't really have issues with the stem getting (too) hot but when going back to back to back... it can get hot ofcourse. (heating of the stem also heavily depends on the setting/cooling helix used btw)

Anyway: a possible way to avoid touching the hot stem is placing the hot Tempest on the Reolad and hit it while holding the Reolad. The moutpiece never gets hot and you can still flutter the airport with one finger.
I tend to do this sometimes without any specific reason, started when i needed both hands so placed it on the Reload and then just grabbed it by the container to keep hitting it. Kinda liked it so now i do that sometimes but just realized this can be done to handle the Tempest when it's too hot to hold but you still want to vape like right now!! ;)
I was just gonna order a wood stem for it tbh. I hope that would help too.

RedZep

Wood stem doesn't get too hot. I honestly think it's all a bit over stated anyway. Makes me wonder where people are holding their stems. I hold it near the air port and don't have any issues with TI stem with Helix tube. On repeated bowls I can feel warmth, but it's not hot where I hold it.

Do some people hold the stem closer to the tip?

Wozz

Wood stem doesn't get too hot. I honestly think it's all a bit over stated anyway. Makes me wonder where people are holding their stems. I hold it near the air port and don't have any issues with TI stem with Helix tube. On repeated bowls I can feel warmth, but it's not hot where I hold it.

Do some people hold the stem closer to the tip?
Likewise, dunno , maybe I have asbestos fingers but whilst it may get warm, it's not ever been too hot or in any way uncomfortable.
Many back to back sessions... All good, for me .

My TM2 also gets warm 🤷‍♂️

TheHolySpook

I have used the wood stem almost exclusively since I got the Tempest. And I do back to back to back to back to back bowls (work from home and weed is stupid cheap in Oklahoma) on it. I have never felt uncomfortable. Sometimes I have to choke back where I hold it and hold closer to the mouthpiece, but I've only done that when doing back to back dabs at high temperatures just to experiment. It never gets too hot during any kind of normal use.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I honestly think it's all a bit over stated anyway.
Don't get me wrong. I also have zero issues with the heat of the stem and find it somewhat over stated too. Never had to change my grip because of that. Just mentioned it because i read some people talking about it.
Same thing with the balls: i've used it hundreds of times and never had the balls come out.
Actually i always debowl with the Reload so hold on to the Reload and screw the Tempest off of it... so yeah, they can't fall out anyhow. So to those with issues i'd suggest to unscrew with head facing down, that way they can't fall on your lap, can they? ;)

(for extra clarity: my ballscreen has not moved once so i do believe that when attached properly i shouldn't come off tbh)

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Top Bottom