The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

ToatsOats

Can anyone recommend a good portable-ish small water piece/bong for the tempest? I’ve been hitting it dry and wanna try a water piece for the 1st time

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Science is fun, been to damn sick to do much more but I have done some, I’m playing around with adding heat while the Tempest is hot, here is an attempt. I have a repeatable pattern to add heat to finish the bowl with out burning the damn thing :) the trick is just to heat the Tempest at the very top of the ball chamber, by heating that high you are ensuring that the hottest part of the device is right at the top which means that the air going through the device wont overheat due to a imbalance in the heat through the balls in the heater matrix (which often happens when you heat too low or very very slowly with a low heat or small flame for example) or because of to much conduction to the bowl (normally the forma)

** NOTE: I am using a Tempest with both a calibrated visual gauge and click discs

portable-ish small water piece/bong for the tempest
This is an Australian site but I believe its called a Prophet else where but this is a great dry rig for the Tempest which I use all the time

@RedZep I have been enjoying doing the different materials, I wasn't going to do this last one, but I have decided to try it as curiosity is killing me, I am about to pack my Tempest full of 2mm gem cut rubies and give it a few goes... this should be interesting as in every other device I have had to reduce the temperature by 10% to stop scorching the bowl... we shall see :p

Last edited:

SteamPunk

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I noticed a nice decaper attached to the stem on the video and it's 1st time I see this live, I only seen it on Tempest manual before. Was it part of your pre-sales kit?
This was a very early presale version before the decapper was removed and added to the leather case because of thermal mass changes / heating inconsistencies caused by the decapper on the Tempests cap

freo_hazard

I wonder when/if there will also be a German pre-sale going? Ordering from Mad Heaters directly might possible be slightly more expensive thanks to tax and import fees at customs though

fingers crossed i can put an order in somewhere in AU for pre-orders , the stupid TGA vape ban took effect at the start of March so basically the importation of all vapes is banned unless importers have an import licence and permit from the Office of Drug Control, i know wick and wire had plans to stock it before March but not sure what they are doing now.

will prob just roll the dice and do an order directly from Mad heaters, just call it a portable air fryer or something on the box :p

freo_hazard,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
fingers crossed i can put an order in somewhere in AU for pre-orders , the stupid TGA vape ban took effect at the start of March so basically the importation of all vapes is banned unless importers have an import licence and permit from the Office of Drug Control, i know wick and wire had plans to stock it before March but not sure what they are doing now.

will prob just roll the dice and do an order directly from Mad heaters, just call it a portable air fryer or something on the box :p
AU? Australia? I actually don't know any stores that are stocking it yet... i should actually ask, I will talk to the ones I know and report back - but my parts came after 1st march - as well as the TA so I am not worried about the TGA rules as long as the sender puts the right bs on the package like "gift" or "8mm hose adapter" it will be fine,

VapingYogi,

Alligator427

Science is fun, been to damn sick to do much more but I have done some, I’m playing around with adding heat while the Tempest is hot, here is an attempt. I have a repeatable pattern to add heat to finish the bowl with out burning the damn thing :) the trick is just to heat the Tempest at the very top of the ball chamber, by heating that high you are ensuring that the hottest part of the device is right at the top which means that the air going through the device wont overheat due to a imbalance in the heat through the balls in the heater matrix (which often happens when you heat too low or very very slowly with a low heat or small flame for example) or because of to much conduction to the bowl (normally the forma)

** NOTE: I am using a Tempest with both a calibrated visual gauge and click discs

This is an Australian site but I believe its called a Prophet else where but this is a great dry rig for the Tempest which I use all the time

@RedZep I have been enjoying doing the different materials, I wasn't going to do this last one, but I have decided to try it as curiosity is killing me, I am about to pack my Tempest full of 2mm gem cut rubies and give it a few goes... this should be interesting as in every other device I have had to reduce the temperature by 10% to stop scorching the bowl... we shall see :p
This is a duplicate of the prophet, probably made in China. We can find exactly the same in France in some stores. Quality is not realy good : quit thin glass and default on my mine (crack at the level of a groove and scratch at the level of the bottom ; thank you La central vapeur !)

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
It was clear on day one: I'll have a second, thank you very much!!

Whenever i find a vape that ticks all (or most) boxes i feel the need to buy a backup.
Not that i think this one will ever fail on me: The Tempest is as indestructable/minimalistic as they come! :tup:
Some herbs and a torch is all you need: even on a nuclear battlefield you'll still be able to have a final toke at world's end!!
:spliff:
And when post-apocalyps survivors find that same Tempest they can just source something vaporisable and vape on!! :ninja:

Also: if you have one you are set but having two is like: game, set and match!!
It'll be perfect for some true Tempest-chain-vaping.
Imagine: Reloading Tempest while toking on Tempest = HURRICANE clouds on demand!

If all goes well there will be an EU store at madheaters.eu shipping from Croatia when the pre-order starts.

WoW!! That's great news!

That would save me quite some money: no (pretty random) custom-duties or handling costs and no extra bankcharge for international payment!
And no extra shipping time due to curious border patrol!
Was planning on buying just a second tip/heatshield-stem to use combined with one of my Revolve's cooling spiral/mouthpiece but might have to reconsider...
Anyway, even if it would cost the same i would prefer this option to ordering from a third party as i would expect it to be more interesting for MAD heaters if they can sell directly to EU customers with no middlemen!
Thanks Brenyo! I'll keep my eyes/ears open while i await the official pre-sale start!

Extra time to decide on a color!

btka

This is a duplicate of the prophet, probably made in China. We can find exactly the same in France in some stores. Quality is not realy good : quit thin glass and default on my mine (crack at the level of a groove and scratch at the level of the bottom ; thank you La central vapeur !)
I was also thinking to buy this duplicate of prophet from la central vapeur… so you’d not recommend?

I hope soon I can buy a tempest!!!

btka,

HaggisHunter

Can anyone recommend a good portable-ish small water piece/bong for the tempest? I’ve been hitting it dry and wanna try a water piece for the 1st time
Depends what you class as portable, does it need to go in a hiking bag, day bag or the boot of the car etc...

Not sure how portable you'll find it but I like the globes, the size of the mega globe really suits the tempest, though not really portable.
But the mini globe is also good.
You can also take the mouthpiece off, so it compacts down a little.

They're available under the sneaky Pete branding, other shops around the world also sell non branded versions that come from the same manufacturer I believe.

Like these shops in the UK, one sells sneaky Pete branding, the other sells the non brand.

I have both and quality of both is the same.

There's also the mj arsenal mini rigs, they're 10mm fittings, but are ground so would scratch the mouthpiece, they are compact though.
I had an mj arsenal Claude for a while, it was good with Dynavaps.

HaggisHunter,
Reactions: dudeguy

Vapoz

@Brenyo do you have zic bals in stock? I lost 30 of them when I wanted to detach the VI, suddenly the balls fell out.

*edit*
I got now 79 balls in total and will fill the rest up with ruby. But still I'd like to buy some spare balls.

Last edited:
Vapoz,
Reactions: Brenyo

bobothevaper

I wonder when/if there will also be a German pre-sale going? Ordering from Mad Heaters directly might possible be slightly more expensive thanks to tax and import fees at customs though :hmm:
Just remember that retailers tend to be more expensive since they resell so the total won’t be much higher ordering directly even with VAT. Sometimes ordering directly is also just faster, and you get more options and more possible combinations.

RedZep

I swear the vape Sig on the Tempest stays clean even in high temps. Doesn't have that sort of conduction muddiness I used to associate with the Volcano Hybrid. I figured it's just a high temp pure convection hit, but even my Brick butane vapes don't have the same clean sig as the Tempest.

I could also just be too high right now and I'm tripping. My resistance is back to 0 after not using for almost a month.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I swear the vape Sig on the Tempest stays clean even in high temps. Doesn't have that sort of conduction muddiness I used to associate with the Volcano Hybrid. I figured it's just a high temp pure convection hit, but even my Brick butane vapes don't have the same clean sig as the Tempest.

I could also just be too high right now and I'm tripping. My resistance is back to 0 after not using for almost a month.
your high :) but not wrong,

IMO its not a pure convection hit, but its convection dominant because of the semi isolated bowl which keeps the stimulative effects as the dominate ones while being able to deliver a more conduction roast with the right heating technique and a little more effort.

Alligator427

I was also thinking to buy this duplicate of prophet from la central vapeur… so you’d not recommend?

I hope soon I can buy a tempest!!!
Maybe I was unlucky with my piece. It work well, but whatever, you need to handle it carrefullly because glass is not thick. The original one have a good quality, but it is not the same price ...

Alligator427,

Jojofernz

Hadn’t tried the sic balls with a torch til this morning and my brain forgot I could go lower on the VI with them. Went to the point I used too with the zirc, and the dreaded yellow smoke started pouring in. Oh well Sundays usually cleaning days anyway haha

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
@Brenyo do you have zic bals in stock? I lost 30 of them when I wanted to detach the VI, suddenly the balls fell out.
@Brenyo has them on his site for about half the price, but I ordered 100 2.5 zirc balls from a vendor on Ebay. Took a couple weeks to arrive but they are here now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/176102831935 I don't need them yet, but I am a compulsive backup kind of guy. I haven't yet taken them out of the head for fear I was going to spill and lose them. Now no fear... :lol:

PeePhlegm

while being able to deliver a more conduction roast with the right heating technique and a little more effort.
Looks like phattpiggie might be able to help us with that one... Little heat soak with the Chaos Tempest adapter and I reckon that would be a decent bit of conduction introduced due to the snug fit on the sides of the bowl.

RedZep

Looks like phattpiggie might be able to help us with that one... Little heat soak with the Chaos Tempest adapter and I reckon that would be a decent bit of conduction introduced due to the snug fit on the sides of the bowl.

I have no idea what is going on, but it is evocative

RedZep,
  • Haha
Reactions: dimmusp
Top Bottom