The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Grover

Retailer
There is not much of a price difference compared to buying it directly from MadHeaters, right? Tempest will be £183 + ~ £12 Standard Shipping = £200 + 13% tax = £226, which is around 388 CAD. From Soothing Vapours it would be 345 CAD + 15 Shipping + 13% Tax = 406 CAD.
We use the MAD Heaters MRSP since undercutting their price when they are a retailler as well as our supplier makes for an unfriendly wholesale arrangement. You have also not considered the (considerable) import duty imposed by CBSA which we roll into our price but the individual would have to pay themselves. And domestic shipping is quite a bit faster than international.

SonicBacon

There is not much of a price difference compared to buying it directly from MadHeaters, right? Tempest will be £183 + ~ £12 Standard Shipping = £200 + 13% tax = £226, which is around 388 CAD. From Soothing Vapours it would be 345 CAD + 15 Shipping + 13% Tax = 406 CAD.
Yes that looks about right. Last time I paid import duties of nearly $50 cdn for my Revolve stem, so I think the SV price is more than fair, and this way I don’t have to worry about any additional costs. I am happy to support both companies by purchasing this way.

I hope you enjoy the heck out of your Tempest whichever way you manage to get your hands on one

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Looks like phattpiggie might be able to help us with that one... Little heat soak with the Chaos Tempest adapter and I reckon that would be a decent bit of conduction introduced due to the snug fit on the sides of the bowl.
I have been watching the Chao development with interest and the Adapters for both the TA and the Tempest make it a attractive option for a wireless kit. I have been playing around with the TA as well lately which has been fun.

I have no idea what is going on, but it is evocative
Massive 300x3mm boro ball wireless heater (25mm) meets the Tempest via an adapter. Its the largest wireless housing I know of and I am keen to see how it works with the Tempest (eventually) - I should remember to ask about it....

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I have been watching the Chao development with interest and the Adapters for both the TA and the Tempest make it a attractive option for a wireless kit. I have been playing around with the TA as well lately which has been fun. Massive 300x3mm boro ball wireless heater (25mm) meets the Tempest via an adapter. Its the largest wireless housing I know of and I am keen to see how it works with the Tempest (eventually) - I should remember to ask about it....
I asked PP today and the Tempest adapter for the Chaos isn't available yet; but will be...

RedZep

I have been watching the Chao development with interest and the Adapters for both the TA and the Tempest make it a attractive option for a wireless kit. I have been playing around with the TA as well lately which has been fun.

Massive 300x3mm boro ball wireless heater (25mm) meets the Tempest via an adapter. Its the largest wireless housing I know of and I am keen to see how it works with the Tempest (eventually) - I should remember to ask about it....
Looks pretty cool. I'm struggling thinking of why to do it. The Tempest head extracts the bowl effortlessly in a cycle. Not sure why I would want to strap a 300 ball housing to the Tempest bowl. The Chaos looks interesting in its own right though.

Vapoz

Definitely get them from at @Brenyo . Way cheaper than the link I provided from Ebay.
Someone snagged those balls :(:( @Brenyo I just got the last 3mm but need also the 2.5mm and forgot to add the ball retaining screen, could you wait before send out my order so I save shipping costs?

*EDIT* Thank you @Brenyo !

Been using my Tempest with the BB3 and a MJArsenal dabrig, wonderful results.

Last edited:

Duba

Accessory Maker
Steampunk version of the Tempest on the Okin from @Dan Morrison :rockon::
IMG-20240325-145847.jpg
IMG-20240325-145823.jpg

ljstavy

are the pre-orders for the final version expected to start sometime in April? I saw a tiny update to the tempest webpage and saw it says "the tempest is expected to be released soon"

leanpubpackage

random - anyone find more throat irritation when using ruby vs zro2? i almost always end up with a sore throat the day after when using rubies…despite same level of roast in the herb

leanpubpackage,
  • Wow
Reactions: dimmusp

bupbups

First heartache tonight with the tempest
@Brenyo

I want to start by saying I love this device but is this normal?

I keep my device clean, change mesh everyday, give ultra socic bath every 3 days without the head of course, I've never gotten around to cleaning the head the way I'd like because frankly I've been afraid to take it apart 😅 with the vi in all.

Anyway, I was sitting down watching a movie enjoying my tempest like I do every night, took my tempest and debowler up, unscrewed the lid and all the balls with my AVB came flying out the bottom and onto my lap. 😠

This was not an enjoyable experience to say the least but let's just say thankfully the kids were in bed so that danger was avoided.

I've no idea how many balls I'm supposed to have if someone could let me know.

But this can't be normal is this happening anyone else, I bought this for safety as I didn't want a ball vape downstairs with the toddler but I've never had anything as scary happen to me with any device as what happened tonight.

Have I done something wrong @Brenyo ? Am I supposed to be taking the head apart and reassembling often?

How can this be avoided from happening again
The aftermath 😠

shadymilkman

@Brenyo

I keep my device clean, change mesh everyday, give ultra socic bath every 3 days without the head of course, I've never gotten around to cleaning the head the way I'd like because frankly I've been afraid to take it apart 😅 with the vi in all.

Anyway, I was sitting down watching a movie enjoying my tempest like I do every night, took my tempest and debowler up, unscrewed the lid and all the balls with my AVB came flying out the bottom and onto my lap. 😠

This was not an enjoyable experience to say the least but let's just say thankfully the kids were in bed so that danger was avoided.

But this can't be normal is this happening anyone else, I bought this for safety as I didn't want a ball vape downstairs with the toddler but I've never had anything as scary happen to me with any device as what happened tonight.

Have I done something wrong @Brenyo ? Am I supposed to be taking the head apart and reassembling often?

The aftermath 😠
~85 though that might depend if you have the 2.5mm or 3mm balls. Happened to me once, so my method of emptying the device adjusted.. i unscrew over something where i can recover the balls, as well a check the tightness of the screen every so often. Brenyo just had some extra screens and balls up on the site i hopped in it because of that experience. The fear of not being able to use the Temp for an extended period was also a motivating factor. But check your screens..

Jojofernz

@Brenyo

The aftermath 😠
Only thing I can think is that your ball screen somehow came loose. Any knocks of any sort? Or perhaps just from cleanings and all that could have potentially became loose. This is why I believe it’s good to clean them fully by removing them so you can also check the screen.

The ball screen screws in and it can screw in really nice and tight. I mean like I can shake it and be real aggressive with it. I had the same experience you did once, but it was after my tempest had a small fall and knocked on something. I didn’t even check it, just went to smoking a bowl with it and when opened, avb and balls came out. Thankfully I use a reload and they dumped into there.

I’m not saying it is your fault or anything, but rather that I doubt it would be a fault with how this vape operates. Everytime I clean now I check and ensure ball screen is tight. But I’ve found after I’ve screwed it back in to the threads, it won’t budge. So I can only guess something happened to the screen to cause it to be loose, I think I have seen another user this happened to while they were debowling, they actually popped the screen out with their tool.

Glad you’re safe hope you’ve got all your balls collected and the experience goes well going forward

ljstavy

so the ball screen it like twists in? like is there threads where the ball screen sits? or is it like a machined groove you push the screen to? also if it is like a threaded design once you twist the screen into place does it stay in position or fall out easily? very sorry for the noob questions

ljstavy,

bupbups

so the ball screen it like twists in? like is there threads where the ball screen sits? or is it like a machined groove you push the screen to? also if it is like a threaded design once you twist the screen into place does it stay in position or fall out easily? very sorry for the noob questions
The ball screen twists in on fine threads and as I found out tonight it very much so can undo itself overtime or somehow dislodge itself, I'm curious if I missed a step at the start because the head is one piece I haven't messed with at all 😕

Only thing I can think is that your ball screen somehow came loose. Any knocks of any sort? Or perhaps just from cleanings and all that could have potentially became loose. This is why I believe it’s good to clean them fully by removing them so you can also check the screen.

The ball screen screws in and it can screw in really nice and tight. I mean like I can shake it and be real aggressive with it. I had the same experience you did once, but it was after my tempest had a small fall and knocked on something. I didn’t even check it, just went to smoking a bowl with it and when opened, avb and balls came out. Thankfully I use a reload and they dumped into there.

I’m not saying it is your fault or anything, but rather that I doubt it would be a fault with how this vape operates. Everytime I clean now I check and ensure ball screen is tight. But I’ve found after I’ve screwed it back in to the threads, it won’t budge. So I can only guess something happened to the screen to cause it to be loose, I think I have seen another user this happened to while they were debowling, they actually popped the screen out with their tool.

Glad you’re safe hope you’ve got all your balls collected and the experience goes well going forward
I treat this better than a newborn, no falls or damages etc .

I never tightened or lossened the ball screen form when I received and I found out tonight how easy it's screwed back in.

But it has me stumped if it came loose over time unscrewing itself or if it popped maybe but I've no idea how that could of happening.

TedJones

Thinking it’s a combination of the heating, cooling, and general handling of the cap which may slowly twist the screen out .. if not tight enough?
Hasn’t come up in a bit but these are older from Brenyo
It does sound like it so hard to say :D
You could try to tighten the ball screen a bit more. Try to keep the screen flat, don’t overtighten it until the sides are starting to take a concave shape.
If you can still hear it rattling then it’s the click disc

Either way, it’s fairly loud so you should def hear it if it was working.

Yes it screws in, you can use the reload debowler if you have it. Try to keep it centered and push it slightly to start screwing it into the thread.

It was probably me then, I think I might have over tightened a few before realising this. Sorry! :uhoh:

Everyone with a tempest please make sure that there is enough friction with your screen and that it doesn’t screw out too easily. If it just turns smoothly without friction please flatten it and re-insert, it has to be almost completely flat, not concave. Only tighten it finger-tight until it’s touching the balls.

The ball screen screws in and it can screw in really nice and tight
I’ve been just “finger” tightening without much force. I could probably give it a bit more ;)
random - anyone find more throat irritation when using ruby vs zro2?
Can’t help since the rubies are in the desktops and I just switched to sic in the Tempest. All fairly irritating for my poor throat lol. Gut tells me zirc is the “tamest” if ya will. Would like to know if others have isolated a favorite after many tests :tinfoil:

ljstavy

my paranoid but would make sure each time i unscrew the bowl from the cap to load or unload id check/tighten the ball screen haha. I can already picture the fear in peoples eyes as those hot balls come flying out oof.

edit:
picturing it in my head i wonder if the slight movement from the balls in the cap are causing the screen to losen? like for me when I do get my tempest I will heat with the cap facing down but use my bong to hit the tempest so basically flipping the head 180 degrees which could shift the balls causing the screen to come undone? or am i over thinking this?

ljstavy,
Reactions: TedJones

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
It’s always a good idea to check the torque on your lugnuts from time to time, makes sure your wheels don’t fall of while driving.

Similarly, it’s never a bad idea to check ball screen security on your portable ball vape, makes sure hot balls don’t dump in your lap while vaping.

Normal use (material flexing, heat cycling, etc.) will loosen *most* threaded connections over time.

Jojofernz

The debowler tool on the reload 2 works wonders for unscrewing/screwing. I’ll have to keep an eye on mine between cleanings to see if it could be coming loose/unscrewing over time from use? I could see it happening but figured it would take a lot! I don’t go crazy tight but seems it can turn a good bit in the threads before touching the balls.

ToatsOats

Science is fun, been to damn sick to do much more but I have done some, I’m playing around with adding heat while the Tempest is hot, here is an attempt. I have a repeatable pattern to add heat to finish the bowl with out burning the damn thing :) the trick is just to heat the Tempest at the very top of the ball chamber, by heating that high you are ensuring that the hottest part of the device is right at the top which means that the air going through the device wont overheat due to a imbalance in the heat through the balls in the heater matrix (which often happens when you heat too low or very very slowly with a low heat or small flame for example) or because of to much conduction to the bowl (normally the forma)

** NOTE: I am using a Tempest with both a calibrated visual gauge and click discs

This is an Australian site but I believe its called a Prophet else where but this is a great dry rig for the Tempest which I use all the time

@RedZep I have been enjoying doing the different materials, I wasn't going to do this last one, but I have decided to try it as curiosity is killing me, I am about to pack my Tempest full of 2mm gem cut rubies and give it a few goes... this should be interesting as in every other device I have had to reduce the temperature by 10% to stop scorching the bowl... we shall see :p
appreciate the recommendation for a water piece, did you geta beta with calibrated discs and visual indicators or did you calibrate it yourself?

ToatsOats,

RedZep

I was the one who did it while de-bowling. I've since stopped scraping the head screen after a bowl. I just give it a little blow if any bits of avb is there.

Top Bottom