The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I see some folk have clickers in their tempest already. I purchased mines 3 weeks ago should i have a clicker in mines?
Some of the pre-release versions came with clickers as they evolved. My Tempest that I ordered in November did come with clickers that are at least fairly close to accurate. Others have no clickers or clickers that are not accurate. So it depends upon where in the process your order was placed. I suspect all of us will be offered updated clickers when they're final.

SonicBacon

Hey everyone, especially the Canadients.

The latest newsletter from Soothing Vapours has announced that the Tempest (final production version) pre-sale is now live and ready to rock.

For anyone unfamiliar with Soothing Vapours, they are located on the west coast of Canada. I have been shopping there for a couple of years now and am always impressed with the customer service and can highly recommend them.

Here is a link to their page if you want to check it out and purchase within Canada. I am going with a purple body/titanium heat shield and really looking forward to try it out after following along for the past 177 pages.

Direct to Tempest page… https://www.soothingvapours.ca/product/mad-heater-tempest-kit-coloured-body/

Cheers all

alex91

so as we inch closer to release I'm getting lost in the choice between the colors. I see that the black and blue variants are a pvd based coating while the purple and green are anodized. Are the anodized versions the best to pick vs the coating colors? Im thinking like long term use I have a feeling a anodized piece of titanium is going to be much more resistant to ware and tear vs the coating right?

Isn’t PVD coat supposed to be stronger, more resistant, than an anodized coat?

I really would like the black Tempest. Is it the same coating as the Revolver? I remember reading a while back that some Revolver colours would peel, but I think they fixed that after a while?

I’m not sure how black PVD would compare to the raw/silver titanium. My first choice would be the black, but if it’s prone to scratching, peeling and less resistant than the raw/silver, I might change my mind.

ljstavy

Isn’t PVD coat supposed to be stronger, more resistant, than an anodized coat?

I really would like the black Tempest. Is it the same coating as the Revolver? I remember reading a while back that some Revolver colours would peel, but I think they fixed that after a while?

I’m not sure how black PVD would compare to the raw/silver titanium. My first choice would be the black, but if it’s prone to scratching, peeling and less resistant than the raw/silver, I might change my mind.
im lost too haha.

ljstavy,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
so as we inch closer to release I'm getting lost in the choice between the colors. I see that the black and blue variants are a pvd based coating while the purple and green are anodized. Are the anodized versions the best to pick vs the coating colors? Im thinking like long term use I have a feeling a anodized piece of titanium is going to be much more resistant to ware and tear vs the coating right?
Black has the most durable finish.

The anodized colors will change over about a year or 2 depending on use, it will get slightly less colorful. You probably won’t notice it unless you put it next to a new one.

The blue won’t loose it’s color and is the shiniest, but not as resistant to visible scratches as the black or the anodized ones.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I have 19mm glass here and in preparation for the Tempest I'm wondering what wpa I need?
The Tempest needs 10mm if I have read correctly, is that right?

When I search for 10 to 19 I only seem to find relatively long wpa, which I wouldn't think would be great for a j-hook. Any recommendations?

If you’re going to use Tempest on water I would recommend removing Tempest from the stem and using a dedicated WPA. If you are going to use the water to cool/condition the vapor, don’t send it through the stem just to condense and lose some honey. Something like below from SPV, but occasionally you can also find them in 19mm rather than universal (below that is an example I found but its AU only).

Some of the pre-release versions came with clickers as they evolved. My Tempest that I ordered in November did come with clickers that are at least fairly close to accurate. Others have no clickers or clickers that are not accurate. So it depends upon where in the process your order was placed. I suspect all of us will be offered updated clickers when they're final.
No worries mate thanks, i purchased mine february 28th and received it march 1st.

TheScamericann,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
If you’re going to use Tempest on water I would recommend removing Tempest from the stem and using a dedicated WPA. If you are going to use the water to cool/condition the vapor, don’t send it through the stem just to condense and lose some honey. Something like below from SPV, but occasionally you can also find them in 19mm rather than universal (below that is an example I found but its AU only).

I agree that putting the head on a WPA is the best way to do water with the Tempest. There's really no benefit to dirtying up the stem, which you just have to clean more often. I don't like to unnecessarily lose goodness stuck to the glass or stem.
I have looked for a reasonably priced WPA with an 18mm joint and been relatively unsuccessful here in the US. The prices are kinda high. There is one posted above from the UK but the shipping price to the US is way too high, and the AUS mentioned above doesn't even ship here (apparently). I have a three way that is just not as stable as I would like. I did find a 14mm china glass one that I will only need a reducer for which is on the way. I like having a handle rather than just straight tubing.

Last edited:

TheHolySpook

I see some folk have clickers in their tempest already. I purchased mines 3 weeks ago should i have a clicker in mines?
No, I have one from the same batch, and I do not have the click discs. And in the paperwork I received it said it didn't have them. Personally, I've been glad to really get to know the visual indicator and how to use it. Coming from Dynavap, I'm sure I would have had a heavy click reliance, but I'm enjoying the calm serenity of watching the dial just creep up until my tasty treat is done.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I agree that putting the head on a WPA is the best way to do water with the Tempest. There's really no benefit to dirtying up the stem, which you just have to clean more often. I don't like to unnecessarily lose goodness stuck to the glass or stem.
I have looked for a reasonably priced WPA with an 18mm joint and been relatively unsuccessful here in the US. The prices are kinda high. There is one posted above from the UK but the shipping price to the US is way too high, and the AUS mentioned above doesn't even ship here (apparently). I have a three way that is just not as stable as I would like. I did find a 14mm china glass one that I will only need a reducer for which is on the way. I like having a handle rather than just straight tubing.

I know the struggle, I had to search for a while to find one and eventually did from Herb Cafe out of Canada. When I found they had stock I got two, because it had been so hard to find one! Even considered trying to find someone to drop ship me the AU one 🤣

Timps27,
  • Haha
Reactions: cybrguy

shadymilkman

The anodized colors will change over about a year or 2 depending on use, it will get slightly less colorful. You probably won’t notice it unless you put it next to a new one.

The blue won’t loose it’s color and is the shiniest, but not as resistant to visible scratches as the black or the anodized ones.
My green Temp has some light wear rings already, both around the heat shield and bowl. Some of the more frequent touch points are fading as well.. into a bronze/goldish hue. No biggie but, it's why I'm getting another (well played Brenyo 😋) either plain or black.. I prefer more subdued colors anyway.

ljstavy

thanks for the color info! Black it shall be then haha! Cant wait for the release I've had my revolve gen 2 since launch and my favorite feature is the removable glass sleeve i get every last bit of reclaim that builds up on the sleeve and intercooler. I currently have about 3 grams worth of reclaim build up! the tempest will be a great adition

ljstavy,

alex91

Hey everyone, especially the Canadients.

The latest newsletter from Soothing Vapours has announced that the Tempest (final production version) pre-sale is now live and ready to rock.

For anyone unfamiliar with Soothing Vapours, they are located on the west coast of Canada. I have been shopping there for a couple of years now and am always impressed with the customer service and can highly recommend them.

Here is a link to their page if you want to check it out and purchase within Canada. I am going with a purple body/titanium heat shield and really looking forward to try it out after following along for the past 177 pages.

Direct to Tempest page… https://www.soothingvapours.ca/product/mad-heater-tempest-kit-coloured-body/

Cheers all

There is not much of a price difference compared to buying it directly from MadHeaters, right? Tempest will be £183 + ~ £12 Standard Shipping = £200 + 13% tax = £226, which is around 388 CAD. From Soothing Vapours it would be 345 CAD + 15 Shipping + 13% Tax = 406 CAD.

alex91,

TedJones

Not anything noticeable! Still tastes great and extra airflow is a nice improvement in my opinion. Good change going to 3mm for final version
Right on, yea I threw the smaller back in for shits and had to have the cap wide open. That only lasted a couple days. Like it closed more with the bigger. I’ll throw the sic in next to test out 👍

kegstandman420

Check out hookahhead glass on etsy. Makes some kill wpa.

dudeguy

I wonder when/if there will also be a German pre-sale going? Ordering from Mad Heaters directly might possible be slightly more expensive thanks to tax and import fees at customs though :hmm:

Top Bottom