The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

popitup

I'm probably 30-40 sessions in so far. I've continued to play with my revolve airflow settings, but have basically come full circle back to the open direct flow with DRC a little on bypass.

I've also been worried about cross-threading, not sure if it's even possible, but just the way the threads kiss make me nervous. I haven't done it yet, I've been extremely careful not to, and I clean them regularly. I've seen others comment in this thread as well, but I'm not sure if anyone has actually cross-threaded.

I'm still in the 575F range, doing a full cycle until all lights go off, my 2nd hit is the biggest, I've been playing closer to combustion, usually achieved by a second near-full heat cycle after my first 2.5-3 hits. I'm having good luck over-packing the Tempest. I haven't gotten into the ritual using the magnet to unthread the cap, I have a leather strap on-hand and it works better, IHMO.

Another tip is to make sure your Tempest is sitting straight in the cup, and not leaning against the edge.

Last edited:

WILLAW84

Anyone tried Tempest with VHB 3D 3S or can share view? Worth getting over Wand?

Anyway, I can't seem to get in contact with VHB via it's mail...and the mentioned model is listed as sold out.
I have. I was looking so forward to using the VHB 3D 3S. It doesn’t fully work, however.

It cuts the power supply before it reaches temperature. I haven’t used my tempest in a bit, because I can’t get an even roast with the wand and I pretty much gave up. I’ve had the tempest since November.

I’ve tried all and everything with the wand and I can’t get an even roast. The 3D 3S works amazing with the anvil. And with the thermocore release, it’s all I’ve been using. Even roast every time.

I even purchased new batteries for the wand and it didn’t improve. So, idk, maybe I’ll give it a try again, but as of now, It’s not my number one choice.

WILLAW84,
Reactions: TedJones

Jess

How would you compare the high between the tm2, dyna and tempest? I am currently rotating between my tm2 for quick cbd or balanced hits during the afternoon, my dyna at half bowl for quick body buzz at the end of day and finish the night with my solo 2 for taste and to relax. I’m hesitating between getting a revolve for my dyna or waiting to get the tempest. I would still want a heavy body buzz compared to my tm2…
So far the are pretty similar in the sense of taste and effectiveness. I am currently using the tempest as a 1 or 2 hitter. Have it set to little airflow and deep mtl hits. It is amazingly cool but I’m not doing 3 or 4 hits at a time yet. The TM I always temp surf and enjoy the ritual and flavor. The tempest so far is not replacing the tm, just a different device. I can probably get the tempest to act like that TM but I’m enjoying it the way it is. As far as type of high the beauty if the tempest is you can customize the settings to accommodate whatever you want. Hope that helped.

vink

So far the are pretty similar in the sense of taste and effectiveness. I am currently using the tempest as a 1 or 2 hitter. Have it set to little airflow and deep mtl hits. It is amazingly cool but I’m not doing 3 or 4 hits at a time yet. The TM I always temp surf and enjoy the ritual and flavor. The tempest so far is not replacing the tm, just a different device. I can probably get the tempest to act like that TM but I’m enjoying it the way it is. As far as type of high the beauty if the tempest is you can customize the settings to accommodate whatever you want. Hope that helped.
Thanks! I am trying to determine if the high the tempest give is more similar to the Dynavap or the tm2 as I want something more like the dyna which gives me more of a body high… you seem to say it can do both? Someone else was telling it was like in between the dyna and tm2.

vink,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
For me, the Dynas tend to lean more towards conduction than convection. The Tempest, while it may have a little conduction going on, is almost exclusively convection. So in that way, I think it would be more like the TM which is all convection. That being said, again for me, The Tempest is a flame heated vape like the dynas. And they tend to have a personality (signature?) that is more common to one another than when comparing them to battery heated vapes. Finally, when using an IH with the Tempest or Dynas their personality gets more like a battery vape it seems to me.

I guess the answer is that their are so many variables that may change these vapes performance that the way individuals use them may be a greater influence to how they taste or the signature they produce than the nature of the devices themselves. Seems odd, but that is my experience.

SockPuppetTheatrics

How close / far off is the VI on the latest round? I'm using it with a wand and the included adapter, and I've found that I need multiple heating cycles to finish a (half) bowl. I'm watching the VI while heating and taking it out when it's between the second and third marks (I've noticed the VI will creep up a little even after being taken out of the wand). I did some test runs (empty bowl) after I first got it, and I think the VI was hitting the far end if I let it time out at temps as low as 400 - 425F.

I can't tell if I should ignove the VI and just let it time out at 500F or if my wand is somehow extra aggressive in heating it or what.

Also, PSA that the 9-10mm versions of these guys (barely) fit in the Tempest bowl if you want to nano-dose. I haven't tried it yet but may experiment once I've got temperature settings in. You just want the thinnest ones if you don't want to cover the airholes around the bowl, and you could maybe go with the smallest size if you're paranoid about them getting stuck.

SockPuppetTheatrics,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I wanted to mention that I got my Parchment style case from Labetkomp and it is just what I wanted. A stylish, heat resistant case that is very functional and looks great. I was tired of using the cardboard tube from my Revolve (tho it worked fine) and I didn't want to wait for the March release to get the MadHeaters one. It was a little pricey, but is a hand made piece of art.

ezpz

I did some test runs (empty bowl) after I first got it, and I think the VI was hitting the far end if I let it time out at temps as low as 400 - 425F.
How far deep is your wand adapter? For me, the bottom of the adapter is in line with the red silicone on the wand. On a cold start, wand set at 610F and heat till timeout, my VI is right below the third mark. If your VI is maxed out, but you need to reheat the bowl, then you might need to push your adapter further down (so VI is not in the middle of the wand). Just a guess.

ezpz,
Reactions: TedJones

SockPuppetTheatrics

How far deep is your wand adapter? For me, the bottom of the adapter is in line with the red silicone on the wand. On a cold start, wand set at 610F and heat till timeout, my VI is right below the third mark. If your VI is maxed out, but you need to reheat the bowl, then you might need to push your adapter further down (so VI is not in the middle of the wand). Just a guess.
I started out with it way too high (basically pushing the glass and silicone as high up as they could get, but now it's just above flush with the red silicone on the bottom of the wand (I use it outdoors and I don't want to set it down on a metal table too hard and risk damaging the glass).

Unrelated: I haven't tried using it, but the new DV wand adapter would definitely fit the Tempest. You wouldn't be able to see the VI, though, so unless you're comfortable working off of timing / temp setting alone, IDK if I'd recommend it over the glass adapter that came with the Tempest.

SockPuppetTheatrics,
Reactions: ezpz

Falconflys

How close / far off is the VI on the latest round? I'm using it with a wand and the included adapter, and I've found that I need multiple heating cycles to finish a (half) bowl. I'm watching the VI while heating and taking it out when it's between the second and third marks (I've noticed the VI will creep up a little even after being taken out of the wand). I did some test runs (empty bowl) after I first got it, and I think the VI was hitting the far end if I let it time out at temps as low as 400 - 425F.

I can't tell if I should ignove the VI and just let it time out at 500F or if my wand is somehow extra aggressive in heating it or what.

Also, PSA that the 9-10mm versions of these guys (barely) fit in the Tempest bowl if you want to nano-dose. I haven't tried it yet but may experiment once I've got temperature settings in. You just want the thinnest ones if you don't want to cover the airholes around the bowl, and you could maybe go with the smallest size if you're paranoid about them getting stuck.
I know mine moves quick and will reach the 3rd mark while the wand is still blinking at 550° It is not ready when it hits that 3rd mark. It's pretty much useless really and find I don't even need it with the wand. I've been using 540°-580° till time out and crushing a bowl til done!
I mean it will be nice to have a fully functional unit the way it's ment to be when the correct parts are available but till then, I'm good.
Now If I was having to use a torch it would be a bitch.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Unrelated: I haven't tried using it, but the new DV wand adapter would definitely fit the Tempest. You wouldn't be able to see the VI, though, so unless you're comfortable working off of timing / temp setting alone, IDK if I'd recommend it over the glass adapter that came with the Tempest.
I generally vape in a room that is not particularly bright, so I'm not really able to see the VI in the glass of the adapter very well. I could put a flashlight on it and be able to see it that way, but obviously that's a pain. I find that while I'm heating I can pull the Tempest out of the adapter for a second to get the status of the VI. It doesn't change very quickly so it doesn't really get an opportunity to cool down at all when I pull it.
So, from a cold start, I use the click (which works pretty well on my Tempest) to tell me when to take a hit., and on reheats I use the VI.

rebelFarmer

Yes, I used my desktop ball vape daily before receiving the Tempest. I mainly used the ball vape after work, and ran a Revolve dyna setup for daytime. I really wanted the Tempest to replace the dyna setup for better on the go consumption, but to my surprise it has (almost) completely replaced the desktop ball vape as well. I still pull out the desktop on the weekends sometimes just to change it up. I think the Tempest has also helped me save flower. I dont go thru as much now that I'm not using the desktop everyday.
I use my ball vape that is set up very conveniently when I don't want to have to reheat.. That is it, the tempest is more efficient by a LOT imo but sometimes I forget to pull it from the wand when it is ready if I am distracted. I think the big ball vape is nice for kinda party time LOL but the tempest does it all and much more efficiently, I also think it has slightly better flavour.

ToatsOats

Should we still be manually calibrating the click discs like in this video in the latest pre release drops?
Just asking since I dont really go above 500F with my wand otherwise i combust, but the indicators never reach the 2nd or 3rd not h on my end.
Also, what airflow has everyone been running?

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Should we still be manually calibrating the click discs like in this video in the latest pre release drops?
Yes

Just asking since I dont really go above 500F with my wand otherwise i combust, but the indicators never reach the 2nd or 3rd not h on my end.
That doesn't sound right, please send a picture of the Tempest standing in the Wand with the adapter so I can see if it's too far down

Brenyo,

SockPuppetTheatrics

@SockPuppetTheatrics maybe tighten the screw just a bit on the cap. Could be loose if the indicator is going to the far right too easily?
Interesting. I may try to leave it for the full timeout at 500 or 550F (starting out empty) and see what happens, maybe adjust from there.
I know mine moves quick and will reach the 3rd mark while the wand is still blinking at 550° It is not ready when it hits that 3rd mark. It's pretty much useless really and find I don't even need it with the wand. I've been using 540°-580° till time out and crushing a bowl til done!
I mean it will be nice to have a fully functional unit the way it's ment to be when the correct parts are available but till then, I'm good.
Now If I was having to use a torch it would be a bitch.
I generally vape in a room that is not particularly bright, so I'm not really able to see the VI in the glass of the adapter very well. I could put a flashlight on it and be able to see it that way, but obviously that's a pain. I find that while I'm heating I can pull the Tempest out of the adapter for a second to get the status of the VI. It doesn't change very quickly so it doesn't really get an opportunity to cool down at all when I pull it.
So, from a cold start, I use the click (which works pretty well on my Tempest) to tell me when to take a hit., and on reheats I use the VI.
I don't think mine has a click. Either that, or I haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe I never just let it go all the way?
Yes

That doesn't sound right, please send a picture of the Tempest standing in the Wand with the adapter so I can see if it's too far down
Ok, good to know. So I should take it apart and put it back together as pictured in the video, and that may help with heater calibration.

I've only used it twice, once with fully open airflow on the tip and once with half-open. I felt like fully open sucked the heat away too quickly, so I'll probably end up somewhere in partially open territory (I'm thinking closed would be too restrictive, and I'm using it natively).

SockPuppetTheatrics,
Got mine and I am enamored. Wonderfully designed.

That being said, I am finding that there are a lot of factors to getting it right without a wand. I plan on getting the forge when it comes out so in the meantime I am using a ronx torch.

Has anyone spent some significant time dialing it in using a torch?
@Duba, have you been able to improve the roast evenness? I've found that using a torch gives me a roast gradient from top to bottom ie top is dark and bottom is light coffee brown, or top is light brown and bottom looks barely touched. I have only used the half bowl so far.

Ive also found that torch placement is also very important when using the VI to decide when it's ready. If I place the torch right in between the lines, the VI reaches the third mark too early and I get a medium-to-light roast. If place it just lower right at the bottom line I tend to get a very dark roast at the top but I believe the gradient effect is more pronounced.

There are some nuances that are in effect that I am curious if anyone has characterized; for each nuance/variable I intend on all other variables to remain the same:

Draw strength: I believe that you will get different extraction results if you pull hard and fast vs soft and slow given the same initial thermal energy in the cap for each scenario. I'm not sure, but my hypothesis is hard and fast will result in a lighter roast. I am also curious if this has any affect on roast gradient from top to bottom. This also leads to my next nuance.

Too Hot: My observations with the torch, have led me to think that I may not be building enough heat into the cap, but I don't want to combust, so getting to that edge without going over is hard to do without intimate knowledge of how usage techniques can impact the heat transfer. My theory is that draw strength can be used to dial back the roast speed and avoid combustion, but I may be wrong on that.

Airflow on the Cap: This is related to draw strength in that it essentially puts a limit on the top end of the Air velocity you can put through the system. I am wondering if anyone has noticed any effects on the roast/[necessary usage technique changes] from strictly altering the airflow on the cap.

Half/Full bowl comparisons: As I said above, I haven't tried out the full bowl yet, but I get the impression that I will have a hard time getting a full extraction in one heat cycle on the full bowl, as I find I run out of heat right about as the half bowl is finishing up. I also wonder if heating slower by reducing the flame size on the torch will help to maximize the total thermal energy I am able to get into the cap. Yet another variable that I could change is using one flame on the ronx instead of the dual flame.

Context: I am coming from long time use of an anvil, so I am sure there are some habits and techniques that I will have to change to get the most out of this amazing device.

Lastly, I am wondering if any TA users have any tips on how to "cherry that b****" successfully/exceeding the VI with an intuitive feel for avoiding combustion.

ezpz

Ive also found that torch placement is also very important when using the VI to decide when it's ready.
Maybe try horizontal heating? Tempest is horizontal and flame is vertical.
My theory is that draw strength can be used to dial back the roast speed and avoid combustion, but I may be wrong on that.
I’ve done this. You can taste the heavy carbon taste before it sparks. Just wait a bit (to let the balls cool down some) and finish the bowl. The remaining hits taste like shit, but at least it’s not a total loss.
Airflow on the Cap: This is related to draw strength in that it essentially puts a limit on the top end of the Air velocity you can put through the system. I am wondering if anyone has noticed any effects on the roast/[necessary usage technique changes] from strictly altering the airflow on the cap.
@SockPuppetTheatrics mentions this above and I agree. Wide open airflow on the cap will cool the balls down faster. Mines is set at half open.
I also wonder if heating slower by reducing the flame size on the torch will help to maximize the total thermal energy I am able to get into the cap.
I use a single flame eagle torch on highest setting. Takes a little less than a minute to get to temp. Gives me full extraction no problem. I never tried with a bigger flame for faster heat up though

Jojofernz

I really think that peoples Wanda vary. Maybe where the coil actually sits in it can vary? Either that or people have a wide variance in where their tempest insert is and how deep the tempest is inserted.

I would have to try to search but I can’t figure out the search function in threads personally, but I know Brenyo had posted a while back about on the tempest bowl, there’s like a faint marking all around and if that’s sitting in the insert top or just below, that’s good. I’ll try to take a pic of it when I can. It’s a good indicator on how far to insert

That’s what I went off to dial my tempest in without looking at the indicators. I had to adjust my temperature a couple times but finally settled at 590f til timeout. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones cause even though I only have one click, my visual indicator seems to work perfectly. No noticeable jumps, and it’s the perfect even roast at the third notch every time.

It seems a lot of these issues people are having with their repeatable experiences will be solved with the calibrated disks and VI. But I’m sure you can still use a timer for now is my best guess? I think that’s how people use Stunner or TA since they’ve no indicators.

As for the torch, I also have easy repeat experiences there(mostly due to VI), but I followed advice also found in this thread. Single torch(slightly bigger than use for Dynavap), have the flame angled like 45 degrees rather than straight at the tempest, when I heat it angled like this I aim at the middle band, quick heat for big toasty rips and even roast.

Good luck to everyone! Had my own trial and error in the beginning but once you get it dialed in this thing is such a delight. I don’t even hardly use the visual indicator in the wand anymore as I push put it in and click twice forget about it til I see that timeout screen. Back to back bowls I don’t even adjust temp, I just pull out when the light goes solid and it’s right at the third notch as when it goes to timeout from cold.

Last edited:

TedJones

heating slower by reducing the flame size on the torch will help to maximize the total thermal energy I am able to get into the cap. Yet another variable that I could change is using one flame on the ronx instead of the dual flame.
Yep, this is where you’ll benefit the most and like ezpz mentioned above, vertical flame helps a lot imo. I’ve settled on the Ronx dual, turned down real low. For a second bowl, single flame since the cap is hot AF already.

TedJones,
Reactions: ezpz
Top Bottom