The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Bump for Toats here. Don’t remember flower mode mentioned before. Wand users?
It's a button on the Wand that's apparently only accessible on the European version but supposedly you can open up your US version to access it. Here's a link I found on the site discussing it:

https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/anvil-by-vestratto.51804/post-1616944

I've never tried to access it or use it but I imagine it changes either the timing or the duty cycle of the IH. Not really necessary to enjoy the Tempest but maybe interesting to try. I believe once activated, the Wand flashes green when used instead of yellow.

SockPuppetTheatrics

Yesterday seemed like a fortuitous day to acquire a new TED

Screenshot-20240113-132050-NYT-Games.jpg

Managed to snag an all-blue model in spite of some hiccups with the payment page; very excited to try this out

grognard3r

what settings do you guys run the wand with for the tempest? and do you guys use flower mode at all?
The info sheet Mad sent with the Tempest Nov drop recommended 590 F / 310 or 320 C. That's what I remember.

Start there as a baseline. Be cautious of going OVER those recommendations due to combustion.

Also be cautious of doing back to back hits at those temps because you will combust 100%.

Combustion tip: if you suspect combustion, such as thick popcorn taste, stop inhale immediately. Maybe even give a gentle exhale, immediately unscrew (with Reload), and you might just be lucky enough to stop and avoid having to clean effing everything. I've saved my Tempest from combustion about 4-5 times this way. You'll know what I mean once you've tried it. That saves soooo much heartache.

I don't have the flower mode on the Wand and don't intend to mess with any settings.

When I vaped hash through the Tempest head, I bumped my Wand to 600 F. I got two creamy rips through a BB9 and a dry glass bong. I bet I could have done another cycle. I might have been able to go higher than 600 F, too, but I'm not eager to push the envelope.

I'm such a flavor fan that roasting anything until it's just shy of burning doesn't appeal to me.

While I enjoy the hash experience, and while I'm glad the Tempest can handle hash like a beast, I feel flower shines the brightest through the Tempest.

For flower, I have begun to set my temperature at 560 F. As stated, I'm not a fan of roasting flower until its ABV is powder dry. I'll go anywhere up from 560 F, depending on how sticky the flower is. I'll not go higher than 590 F.

On principle, I won't vape back to back through my Tempest. I am in no big rush to put my Tempest away, so I can wait until it cools on the Reload cooling magnet or other heat sink. I've seen some cool ones users posted here. I think it's from Scruffy Woofers on Etsy? Anyway, with a totally cool Tempest head, I can calibrate better with my Wand. BTW, this is my rationale for a second Tempest: while one cools, I can heat the other; to be fair, though, I really don't need a second session if I had good herb, had all my Tempest settings aligned the right way, and inhaled properly.

The Tempest has what seems like a low smell profile, it doesn't really have the same latent smell as the Mighty or other devices can maintain, for me this is especially important as it means I can use it next to my partner on the couch without her complaining about the smell, combined with the Reload I can empty the Tempest and reload for my next use while sitting next to my partner. This is a first, I usually have to leave the room to medicate.

I also personally feel its probably my preferred vape for flavorful hits. The convection dominances allows the herb to stay cool when heating the device until you draw air through the system, meaning you get to experience those volatile terps that can often get lost to radiant heat or conduction. You really get to taste and smell every aspect of the herb, better than my other PID based ball vapes through water. That's the other advantage, you don't need to use water cooling to get a smooth experience.

I kind of feel like, I can sit on the couch and have a joint while watching a movie... its an experience I thought I lost when I started vaping.

Anyway

The Tempest is such a versatile device, I am really keen to hear how the new users find it and hear any tips and tricks you may figure out along the way.

I'd also love to hear about the mistakes, what did you do at first that didn't work and how or what did you change to fix the problem? I am sure that I am still making mistakes (or not using the device in the best ways possible) months into using my Tempest, so every little bit of feedback adds a lot of value so, please, share share share :)
I think all of this is true.

Regarding smell, I'd go so far to say that stealth is superior with the Tempest. Short vignette as to why: I live in close proximity to people I don't necessarily want to advertise that I medicate. I'll call such a character Mary Jane Bane. Several months ago, I was happily having a Mighty+ vape session: huge clouds, persistent smell.

Mary Jane Bane pulls her car into my driveway, but I'd seen/heard her on her way up the hill to my house, giving me 4 or 5 minutes to scurry the vape away--out of sight and smell. As soon as Mary Jane Bane got out of the car, she said, "Wow. Was a skunk here?" Thankfully, there are 100% real live skunks in the surroundings of my house; I live way out in the wilderness. The Mighty+ smell lingered somehow, but there was airflow outside, which is where I'd been. I successfully blamed the skunk weed smell on a skunk. Yeah, it was super dank.

Similarly, my wife has sometimes commented that she can smell a Mighty session from about 500 ft/150 m away. The Tempest has no such mega smell profile. I still don't vape inside, and the Tempest makes ducking out of the house or into the shed for 5 to 10 minutes possible with stealth.

ToatsOats

The info sheet Mad sent with the Tempest Nov drop recommended 590 F / 310 or 320 C. That's what I remember.

Start there as a baseline. Be cautious of going OVER those recommendations due to combustion.

Also be cautious of doing back to back hits at those temps because you will combust 100%.

Combustion tip: if you suspect combustion, such as thick popcorn taste, stop inhale immediately. Maybe even give a gentle exhale, immediately unscrew (with Reload), and you might just be lucky enough to stop and avoid having to clean effing everything. I've saved my Tempest from combustion about 4-5 times this way. You'll know what I mean once you've tried it. That saves soooo much heartache.

I don't have the flower mode on the Wand and don't intend to mess with any settings.

When I vaped hash through the Tempest head, I bumped my Wand to 600 F. I got two creamy rips through a BB9 and a dry glass bong. I bet I could have done another cycle. I might have been able to go higher than 600 F, too, but I'm not eager to push the envelope.

I'm such a flavor fan that roasting anything until it's just shy of burning doesn't appeal to me.

While I enjoy the hash experience, and while I'm glad the Tempest can handle hash like a beast, I feel flower shines the brightest through the Tempest.

For flower, I have begun to set my temperature at 560 F. As stated, I'm not a fan of roasting flower until its ABV is powder dry. I'll go anywhere up from 560 F, depending on how sticky the flower is. I'll not go higher than 590 F.

On principle, I won't vape back to back through my Tempest. I am in no big rush to put my Tempest away, so I can wait until it cools on the Reload cooling magnet or other heat sink. I've seen some cool ones users posted here. I think it's from Scruffy Woofers on Etsy? Anyway, with a totally cool Tempest head, I can calibrate better with my Wand. BTW, this is my rationale for a second Tempest: while one cools, I can heat the other; to be fair, though, I really don't need a second session if I had good herb, had all my Tempest settings aligned the right way, and inhaled properly.

I think all of this is true.

Regarding smell, I'd go so far to say that stealth is superior with the Tempest. Short vignette as to why: I live in close proximity to people I don't necessarily want to advertise that I medicate. I'll call such a character Mary Jane Bane. Several months ago, I was happily having a Mighty+ vape session: huge clouds, persistent smell.

Mary Jane Bane pulls her car into my driveway, but I'd seen/heard her on her way up the hill to my house, giving me 4 or 5 minutes to scurry the vape away--out of sight and smell. As soon as Mary Jane Bane got out of the car, she said, "Wow. Was a skunk here?" Thankfully, there are 100% real live skunks in the surroundings of my house; I live way out in the wilderness. The Mighty+ smell lingered somehow, but there was airflow outside, which is where I'd been. I successfully blamed the skunk weed smell on a skunk. Yeah, it was super dank.

Similarly, my wife has sometimes commented that she can smell a Mighty session from about 500 ft/150 m away. The Tempest has no such mega smell profile. I still don't vape inside, and the Tempest makes ducking out of the house or into the shed for 5 to 10 minutes possible with stealth.
100% i have a stunner and even that stinks so much less than my crafty+. i suspect its just cause the bowl is much more sealed in comparison.

TedJones

Agree. It’s a quick roast, and the smell is fairly contained. I have my butane vapes in their spot on my counter when not in use. They’ve never really smelled to me. My glass adapters on the other hand .. :shit: when in need of a cleaning.

collegeKid101

Getting back in to the game after an involuntary hiatus due to work. The number one thing I’ve missed about smoking has been my joint sessions, so happy someone finally engineered a solution!

Still combing the thread so apologies if this has been asked before: Does a single flame torch work or is three flame recommended so you’re not torching this thing for 30+ seconds at a time? For the lucky testers out there; how different is the hit from Wand vs Torch? I bought a YLL IH for my dynavap, maybe the unit was faulty or that IH isn’t as good as the wand; but I found it never was able to come even close to the hits a torch would get me.

collegeKid101,
Reactions: VapingYogi

ezpz

Does a single flame torch work or is three flame recommended so you’re not torching this thing for 30+ seconds at a time?
Single flame works but you need a hefty flame. My single torch takes about 1min 20 secs (medium sized torch) to get to temp while my wand takes about 45 seconds. Can’t speak on a triple flame as I have none.
For the lucky testers out there; how different is the hit from Wand vs Torch? I bought a YLL IH for my dynavap, maybe the unit was faulty or that IH isn’t as good as the wand; but I found it never was able to come even close to the hits a torch would get me.
Ime with dynas, my IH was quick to heat up and quickly cooled down. Torching gave me a slower, deeper roast (good for conduction), while taking longer to cool (more extraction time). However, the excellent heat retention of the balls kind of negates the benefits of torching, along with this being a convection device, the slow roast is unnecessary.

With a torch, you really need to rely on the VI, which is small, and hard to see with my bad eyes. With a wand, once you find your sweet spot, it’s set it and forget it. No need to rely on click discs or VI.

I guess the main benefit for torching now is not needing to constantly charge batteries. But it is good to know, that if my wand stops working, or batteries aren’t charged, I can still use my Tempest with great results torching. Just my :2c:

Marok

Has anyone noticed a difference between full batteries and almost empty ones? I would think that drained batteries have less power output and therefore the result might be a slightly cooler tempest.

collegeKid101

I guess the main benefit for torching now is not needing to constantly charge batteries.
Well that definitely confirms my suspicion about single flame. Once the clicker is calibrated in final units I’d guess torching would be somewhat easier to do, however all your points make a lot of sense as to why usage with the wand seems to be the standard.

Thank you!

RedZep

Has anyone noticed a difference between full batteries and almost empty ones? I would think that drained batteries have less power output and therefore the result might be a slightly cooler tempest.
I have not detected a difference. I know that is a factor with TM2. It will be easy to check for with the Tempest as we have the visual indicator. I'll keep an eye on it as battery lowers.

Jojofernz

Yes I do with both my original ispire batteries and my molicel ones.

Once the wand battery is on one bar life, my normal wand setting only gets the VI a little past the second notch, instead of landing right on the third for my preferred hits. In this case I either have to set the temp a little higher, or just pulse and watch the VI from the bottom of the wand

RedZep

Yes I do with both my original ispire batteries and my molicel ones.

Once the wand battery is on one bar life, my normal wand setting only gets the VI a little past the second notch, instead of landing right on the third for my preferred hits. In this case I either have to set the temp a little higher, or just pulse and watch the VI from the bottom of the wand
It would make sense to keep an eye on the VI when our batteries are really low then.

RedZep,
Reactions: TedJones

TedJones

Tried my triple flame with Tempest horizontal. But kind of awkward spinning that way and the little lighter gets real hot.
Tried the horizontal heating again since I have a better feel for the unit and seeing BushRanger doing this in vids. Used the single flame this time though. Wow! The cap and balls really seem to soak the heat up better as opposed to hitting it from the side. Combusted in a spanking clean Tempest by going over the 2nd VI mark :( Toned the flame down and only went to the second mark .. dam .. didn’t need to plug the carb much on that run:o

TedJones,
Reactions: ezpz

HaggisHunter

When the stock batteries are down to one bar I charge them.
I also use two pairs of molicel p28's, when they get down to one bar there is also a notable drop in performance.
Easy enough to get round, just heat for a few seconds longer, or as others have done up the temperature a notch or two on the timed mode instead and that should see you right.

ezpz

Tried the horizontal heating again since I have a better feel for the unit and seeing BushRanger doing this in vids. Used the single flame this time though. Wow! The cap and balls really seem to soak the heat up better as opposed to hitting it from the side. Combusted in a spanking clean Tempest by going over the 2nd VI mark :( Toned the flame down and only went to the second mark .. dam .. didn’t need to plug the carb much on that run:o
Um…… My original torch analysis might need a little more testing done. Gotta try this technique first.

ezpz,
Reactions: TedJones

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I was in the November drop, and I find that the click disks and the VI are working surprisingly well for me. They don't seem to be 100 percent accurate, but they are very helpful in assessing when to stop heating. I am generally doing half bowl and I can get really good hits pulling it off the heater when it clicks for the first heating. The visual indicator gives me accurate enough info to help me assess timing during reheats so I don't need to wait for the Tempest to cool off for the second go.
I am really enjoying using the Tempest both on the titanium stem and on my WPA's on glass. I am looking forward to trying it out with wood and glass stems as well.
Has the Tempest become the only vape I use? No, it hasn't, but it is an excellent addition to my stable of vapes and it is currently the only vape I am taking out of the house other than carts. And once my parchment case comes, I won't have to be carrying it around in a cardboard tube anymore.... ;)

Added: BTW, I want to clarify. I am taking it off the Wand at the second click, not the first...

Last edited:

OGablogian

AKA Probeer
@Brenyo

Would you consider selling Tempest kits without the Revolve intercooler and mouthpiece, for the ppl that already have a V1 or V2 and want to upgrade to the Tempest? So basically, the head and a choice of sleeves (radiator sleeve and heat shield, or wood, or glass)?

Top Bottom