The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Is it possible to get a replacement screw for the top? I may have just lost mine.
Please send a PM with your registered email or order no.

Definitely missing the dimples for the bowl to lock into, felt the bowl spin a little in the stem taking the cap off
You can change the first o-ring that slides into the stem to a bigger one to have a more secure connection. Normally the first o-ring is a smaller 5x1, second is 6x1 so you can adjust it both ways.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Wood is here.
Just some thoughts for those who maybe ordering their first Tempest in next few days and are unsure on which config to go for.

I have used the TI and glass stems a lot. I have not vaped with the wood stems yet (lungs a little sore from COVID) but I've tried heating the device up 4 times in a row to see how much heat gets transferred, which is the main performance benefit of wood. I can confirm it does a great job of not absorbing the heat. Wood is an exceptionally poor conductor of heat. Something about it not having movable ions. This makes wood a brilliant material choice for some vapes or accessories. This also means there is less mass absorbing the heat, which gives it less cooling. However this seems negligible due to the cooling properties inherent in the Tempest system. You can simply adjust the device anyway you choose and get more cooling whenever you want. I will test this in the coming days. Brenyo confirmed a while back that the wood stem cools less, but only by a small degree. We will have more than enough leeway in our settings to make up for that.

So a quick run down.
TI - Well rounded. Indestructible. Perfect ergonomics, as the rocker action when using the carb is perfect. Looks cool as hell. Easy to clean as submergible in iso. Can get a little hot to the touch lower down the stem when doing back to back heat cycles. I consider this stem to be the one I would most advise for most use cases, as it's so well rounded. If you have this stem, you don't need any others. But you will probably want others for reasons below.

Glass - My least favourite due to lack of ergonomics. Just feels like a smooth tube of glass in the hand. Easy to clean. Possible to break. Also gets hot to touch on repeated heat cycles. I actually think the glass is a little worse than TI for this. Confers better flavour, which is noticed more with low temp vaping. I use this stem when I'm consciously deciding to vape at low temps.

Wood - Again, lovely ergonomics. Nice thickness. Feels really nice rocking on the carb. It does convey a blunt like hand feel. Stays cool to touch, best stem for extended sessions with repeated heat cycles. Looks really nice. I prefer the Ebony which I'm surprised at. It has a more subtle beauty that is only revealed in the light. The Rosewood has a more obvious smack you in the face beauty (both seen below) Most difficult to clean, as it's not submersible. You don't want to get iso on the beautiful wood. You just need some q-tips and iso, to wipe the inside of the lined wall. It's not difficult to clean relative to other devices, just takes more considered effort than the other two stem choices. The quality of these wood stems are top notch. Great value for how much they cost. I would consider these MH wood stems over third parties currently just due to the ergonomics. How these stems feel in the hand is important I feel. I consider the wood stem also a good choice for those of us who covertly use vapes outdoors and don't want to draw too much of an eye. The TI stem is so futuristic and cool looking that people look at it and want to know what it is. A sleek dark wood stem is much more covert, and will be my choice when I'm have a cheeky vape outside a cafe in the springtime (illegal country, but not heavily enforced).

Due to the price of glass and wood stems from MH, I would consider them must haves accessories for future purchases fron Tempest owners. For those who only want one stem I would suggest TI, closely followed by wood. The glass stem seems more supplementary, due to it's breakable nature, and lack of ergonomics. The bonus taste from the glass is nice, but it must be noted that Tempest is a great tasting vape, regardless of stem choice. So it's a minor gain, but will be worth it for low temp flavour chasers.

Please note this is all subjective, but hopefully it can help prospective buyers make a decision based on what is important to them.
love your summary and now I want an ebony wood stem... I am glad it works like we hoped for longer sessions... after surgery that's my first purchase (lol april maybe) :)

and great little run down, I honestly don't feel like I need to add anything

dtrdrk

Will the insert for the wand still work with a regular dynavap hands free? Or will i have to dedicate it to the tempest?

dtrdrk,
Reactions: Marok

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Will the insert for the wand still work with a regular dynavap hands free? Or will i have to dedicate it to the tempest?
just put my dyna (ti 9fin / captive) in hands free and it worked, its not the tight fit like the dynavap one, but it worked just now no problems

CBD

Hey there, was thinking about ordering one of the next batch of test units. I notice it doesn't have a click indicator. Anyone with a test unit, may I ask, how is it? How are you able to tell when to stop heating?

CBD,

dtrdrk

Thanks mate. Maybe Mad heater could offer a little adapter that we can insert loosely from the top in order to diminish the diameter for the regular vapcaps? Obviously this would only work if the wand sits firmly on a flat surface, but still….. I guess a fitting glas tube would do.

dtrdrk,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
It's too deep for the regular cap even on the highest setting. It works if you put in the glass upside down.
The width is not a problem imo.

How are you able to tell when to stop heating?
By using the visual indicator

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Not only that, but the other side of the lid has a socket that fits the Tempest tip, so even if you monkey-fist that tip onto the bowl, you can still release it, even if it's hot. I've never even had to use it, but that's still one of my favorite features, just for showing that extra level of design intent.
I had totally missed this. Great hidden feature. I had noticed that indent before but didn't know what it was for. I have on rare occasion made the tip too tight that required me to grab a piece of leather to loosen the hot tip. This is much better and always available.

It is kind of amazing all the features in the Reload that really does make it a useful pairing with the Tempest besides the obvious goods storage, abv storage with debowler and strong magnet. The Reload was very well thought out.

linux3214

Is the 20% discount on accessories when purchasing a tempest kit live yet? Will it be offered for the pre release buyers when purchasing the update bundle? I don't see the colors I want of the reload yet and having both windows might increase my chance of getting them at a discount. Thanks

linux3214,

freo_hazard

anyone else got anymore wood pics or vids, i was swayed towards the rosewood after seeing this one posted way back https://streamable.com/f87my4

but those recent ebony ones looking nice too, will it just be those 2 woods offered for now?

also to those using wands with the EU flower mode switch, have you tried flower mode (green flashing light) with the tempest, i much prefer this mode just wondering what setting people use on that mode for the tempest as it just has levels not temps to change the timer on the wand.

also to those who dont use the adapter and like to go double the fist with the wand and tempest in each hand, how far do you hold it in if coming from the back side, i know with the dynavap i like to either rest it just under the glass ledge or just above level with the opening to get a darker roast.

freo_hazard,

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
I dunno what happened, but my air intake on Tempest just got fully open and when i shake the head without balls, there is shaking sound coming from VI hole. Was working normal till now. Flow is too open now, and extraction doesnt happen as it should. How so?

edit: everything works now, my bad for not tightening enough the head screw...sorry for false alarm

Last edited:
BushRanger,

Feyd2blak

RedZep

I dunno what happened, but my air intake on Tempest just got fully open and when i shake the head without balls, there is shaking sound coming from VI hole. Was working normal till now. Flow is too open now, and extraction doesnt happen as it should. How so?
No idea what that could be. Opening it up and having a look wouldn't be so bad. I was trying to find the video guide I used to install new VI. If you used that you would know how everything is supposed to look.

Brenyo posted the vid a while back.

You could also just wait until Brenyo advises you

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Is the 20% discount on accessories when purchasing a tempest kit live yet? Will it be offered for the pre release buyers when purchasing the update bundle? I don't see the colors I want of the reload yet and having both windows might increase my chance of getting them at a discount. Thanks

It’s live, but won’t work with the upgrade kit alone. You can get in touch in PM to sort out the discount then.

The sound is normal, it’s just the click disc moving.

To adjust the airflow slightly loosen the screw on the bottom and turn the induction layer while squeezing it slightly at a specific point. The induction layer is slightly oval so it won’t spin freely.

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Aaaaaaah i see. Damn, this thing is geniusly designed.

Seems like i accidentally opened the airflow to full...and couldnt comprehend what is happening lol. Everything fine now. Thanks for the quick response Brenyo.

Think this was my error of not tightening enough the head screw. And then when handling the head with magnets, taking on and off, spinning....the airflow gates got open to full by itself.

Happy weekend everyone! :peace:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Other than for the people buying a Tempest kit, is there any benefit to getting in queue to buy stuff tomorrow? I assume the wood stems will be available any time and most other parts will not be available tomorrow either. I do want a second head, but I'm sure that will be once they're final. I imagine I will order wood and glass with the update kit when it becomes available.
Am I thinking correctly?

cybrguy,

RedZep

It’s live, but won’t work with the upgrade kit alone. You can get in touch in PM to sort out the discount then.

The sound is normal, it’s just the click disc moving.

To adjust the airflow slightly loosen the screw on the bottom and turn the induction layer while squeezing it slightly at a specific point. The induction layer is slightly oval so it won’t spin freely.
I didn't even realize he had just accidently opened the airflow :rolleyes:

RedZep,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I look forward to waking up tomorrow and hearing the excited new Tempest owners an seeing the videos of the latest VI (no click discs still I assume) in action

I have been having to rely on my desktop of late.... and the flavour, like you said @RedZep the Tempest, regardless of sleave, has one of the most flavourful draws of any of the devices I own. I have really noticed that on the desktop through water, I am missing out of so much of the flavour and smell which really improves the experience.

To try and get the same experience, I have decreased the temp on the desktop and used it waterless through the Prophet and its not the same as the way the heat drops off the Tempest actually cools down the end of the vapour which helps the vapour stay cool as the glass or stem starts to heat up. Using the desktop where its constantly being brought back to temperature, the dry glass "can" get too hot to finish the bowl sometimes.

I like the balance... and I look forward to when I can concentrate enough to use it.... (EDIT : as I wrote that I managed to knock a lot of stuff off the desk I am standing at FML *laughs*)

Shorner

Other than for the people buying a Tempest kit, is there any benefit to getting in queue to buy stuff tomorrow? I assume the wood stems will be available any time and most other parts will not be available tomorrow either. I do want a second head, but I'm sure that will be once they're final. I imagine I will order wood and glass with the update kit when it becomes available.
Am I thinking correctly?
It depends on how many of the wood stems they have in stock, if you want one I would get in quick just in case they sell out.

Shorner,

HaggisHunter

I got my wooden sleeves the other day. They're both very classy, I like the little lines at the wider end.
The ebony is probably my favourite of the two.
I've used the older wooden sleeves on the tempest and they did a great job at holding the heat back so if anyone is on the fence about these, they're definitely worth a go.

Top Bottom