The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

RedZep

for my part, I say that I haven't yet found the ideal technique because I often find that the top of the bowl (near the beads) is well toasted, even too much so, and the bottom is not always well roasted (it's still a little greasy).
I would experiment with IH depth. For a whole month I was using the wand differently to how Brenyo suggests, out of ignorance. I had the insert pushed down well below level. So my Tempest was getting heated closer to the bowl. I was getting exceptional results still, but the stem got hotter to the touch.

I'm not suggesting to try that. More that there is some play in how you heat it in the IH. Could also be stem airflow settings combined with that. I've had the uneven avb like you described, but only once or twice, so I don't know what caused it.

I would suggest experimenting with the airflow at the tip. It changes the experience in quite a dramatic way.

RedZep,
Reactions: Franco

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I'm amused, its 40c here and 300c until timeout from room temperature = combustion. I'm using 290c until timeout and getting full dark roast extractions. I really enjoy the learning about this device without calibration/clicks/etc as I wouldn't notice the differences that environmental factors like the room temperature make to the heating time in the IH.

Using a timer has proved a learning experience as to how environmental factors impact your vaping experience... the change over the last week has been pretty significantly; it was storming and 17c Monday, its 40c today the humidity is in the 90%s and there is next to no wind... It's also interesting how different the stem use is compared to air cooling (J-hook, Prophet) in the increased temperatures.

With regards to reheats...

I never heat more than once. Even when doing low temp extractions. Tempest never leaves much worth fussing about. Full extraction in my experience.
I have no way of really being to try low heat extractions at the moment, but I would expect that I would like the ability to do multiple heats and use the herb over 2 sessions ideally at a low temp, it used to be my way of extending my herb by psychologically saying it was still getting something out of it in the two sessions but without it feeling like I'm vaping AVB because i have run out of herb.

For me it depends what you want in the momment.
i reheat if i like a full flavor session, then I reheat it on low temp, getting a "stepping temp" (is it correct to say that?)
Or for "hard" hash, which needs a conduction support. (would be reheat or set the wand up to 400C till time out)
Or in case i set the tempest on full chamber (i use to set it in half bowl all the time) and i want good hits but not one heat extraction.

In general i like to let it cool down (as i did with dynavap) but depends on what i´m doing in the momment.
Indeed, the tempest is a very versatile butane vape :rockon:
I love it, no one answer is good, I have been reheating depending on what in the Tempest :

- just herb, usually one heat
- hash, until its done, however many heats that is
- herb and rosin, usually 2 heat cycles
- kief/compressed kief, single heat because multiples I end up scorching the bowl
- cotton & rosin, as needed

for my part, I say that I haven't yet found the ideal technique because I often find that the top of the bowl (near the beads) is well toasted, even too much so, and the bottom is not always well roasted (it's still a little greasy).
lol Zep beat me...

I would experiment with IH depth. For a whole month I was using the wand differently to how Brenyo suggests, out of ignorance. I had the insert pushed down well below level. So my Tempest was getting heated closer to the bowl. I was getting exceptional results still, but the stem got hotter to the touch.

I'm not suggesting to try that. More that there is some play in how you heat it in the IH. Could also be stem airflow settings combined with that. I've had the uneven avb like you described, but only once or twice, so I don't know what caused it.

I would suggest experimenting with the airflow at the tip. It changes the experience in quite a dramatic way.
I was going to say the same thing, I am playing with different depths, bowl temp and conduction out of curiosity but its much much more likely to scorch the top of the herbs when its too deep.

I just modified all of the settings of the stem and ended up coming back to a few simple things... like which setting to I pick...

@RedZep @Duba @kokolokokolokon

My next questions is spinning mouthpiece or fixed mouthpiece?

oh that reminds me, @TigoleBitties, today its so freaking hot that there is air-conditioning and fans on everywhere and I haven't been able to get my torch to heat my Anvil all day... I have a new found respect for the Wand & Tempest in those kind of conditions.

Last edited:

Duba

Accessory Maker
I would experiment with IH depth. For a whole month I was using the wand differently to how Brenyo suggests, out of ignorance.
lol Zep beat me...
I did the same, I set it too low in the IH.
I changed the position following Brenyo's recommendations, increased the temp on the Wand and got good results.
Thanks for your advices guys.

About the mouthpiece, i use the direct tube, SCU and fixed mp.

Last edited:

kokolokokolokon

Fixed. I never use the spinning. On the tempest or on the dynavap (or...). When i heat the device with torch i catch it by the sleeve (next to the mouthpiece of course), so for me it is uncomfortable to catch the mouthpiece with the pinky to spin it.

edit: And, with the tempest, i spin the device just a little. I will share a video with a torch showing it:tup:

kokolokokolokon,
Reactions: VapingYogi

RedZep

I'm amused, its 40c here and 300c until timeout from room temperature = combustion. I'm using 290c until timeout and getting full dark roast extractions. I really enjoy the learning about this device without calibration/clicks/etc as I wouldn't notice the differences that environmental factors like the room temperature make to the heating time in the IH.

Using a timer has proved a learning experience as to how environmental factors impact your vaping experience... the change over the last week has been pretty significantly; it was storming and 17c Monday, its 40c today the humidity is in the 90%s and there is next to no wind... It's also interesting how different the stem use is compared to air cooling (J-hook, Prophet) in the increased temperatures.

With regards to reheats...

I have no way of really being to try low heat extractions at the moment, but I would expect that I would like the ability to do multiple heats and use the herb over 2 sessions ideally at a low temp, it used to be my way of extending my herb by psychologically saying it was still getting something out of it in the two sessions but without it feeling like I'm vaping AVB because i have run out of herb.

I love it, no one answer is good, I have been reheating depending on what in the Tempest :

- just herb, usually one heat
- hash, until its done, however many heats that is
- herb and rosin, usually 2 heat cycles
- kief/compressed kief, single heat because multiples I end up scorching the bowl
- cotton & rosin, as needed

lol Zep beat me...

I was going to say the same thing, I am playing with different depths, bowl temp and conduction out of curiosity but its much much more likely to scorch the top of the herbs when its too deep.

I just modified all of the settings of the stem and ended up coming back to a few simple things... like which setting to I pick...

@RedZep @Duba @kokolokokolokon

oh that reminds me, @TigoleBitties, today its so freaking hot that there is air-conditioning and fans on everywhere and I haven't been able to get my torch to heat my Anvil all day... I have a new found respect for the Wand & Tempest in those kind of conditions.
Regarding low temps reheats. I've tried it. I just decided that for what I get out of it, it's not worth it for me. I feel the same way about TM2 on low temp, in that it is a sufficiently sustained low temp extraction, that it doesn't leave too much behind. My OCD wants me sometimes to get it to a dark roast after to make sure, but I experimented doing that only to find not much vapour, effects and flavour were left in the AVB. I feel fine discarding lighter coloured Tempest AVB when doing low temp vaping

With regards to all the variables that effect extraction. Absolutely agree. From ambient room temp, room humidity, strain type, flower moistness, how a strain grinds. I still manually time all my wand heat ups. I just love the exact control I have. My wrist watch hand points to exact seconds. My experience is always dialed in regardless of other conditions. I see the value in having arbitrary wand settings/timers, but surely only as a general guide, as there will sometimes be conditions that require longer or shorter heat up.

Spinning mouthpiece for me. I love how it combines with the carb rocker. It's why I'm waiting for the MH wood stems as opposed to buying one for Dynavap. I love the ergonomics of how the finger and thumb rest in this area. Well designed.

Jojofernz

Just wondering how many people with the Tempest, refresh the bowl each time you heat the Tempest, or do you reheat the same herb multiple times?
Still very brand new to it but I think I have only been able to reheat it once. I think my first bowl was darker on top and less so on bottom.

After I adjusted the insert and temp timer on the wand, perfectly roasted bowls throughout all in one heat session. Been able to get the same results with a torch.

With my Dynavaps, I hardly ever got 1-heat extractions, but I never chased them and enjoyed a few heats, especially with my regular caps.

This is the first device I’ve got that I can comfortably kill a bowl in one heat up. I’m not always a one big hit guy, so the way the Tempest holds heat, I’m able to take several big hits and have it all extracted same heat cycle.

Absolutely in love with it.

Sublim8

Tempest got to my house safe and sound:rockon:
Unfortunately I'll be away for more than one week but hopefully that's enough time for the :leaf: delivery guy :cool:

@Brenyo
Do you have some advices for someone that wants to play with different balls materials/diameters?

garett

I‘m from good old Vienna. And you?
Me to. Great to see someone from vienna here, it feels the vape szene is not that big in vienna, at least in my environment.

Do you maybe have a pic of how far you pushed the glass tube into the wand? I still have the same problem as you described, very dark ABV on top, brown on the back.

mcscruffy

@RedZep @kokolokokolokon @Duba

Last random question for the moment, when emptying the Tempest using the top of the Reload Gen 2, to you put the Tempest cap on vertically when undoing the cap? or do you lay the cap down on the side to undo the cap?

I put it on the magnet vertically, but usually unscrewed top and unscrew from the top (Tempest cap pointing up). I don't need to get the cap into the grooves, I just screw it on using the Reload until it spins on the magnet and then it unscrews no problem from just the magnet when time to clear the bowl. I just call it screwing it "magnet tight." It works very well!

Also I do spinning mouthpiece always. After I load the bowl I usually spin the Tempest to clear the threading of any debris and it makes rocking the carb simpler while taking hits.

Dubber

Me to. Great to see someone from vienna here, it feels the vape szene is not that big in vienna, at least in my environment.

Do you maybe have a pic of how far you pushed the glass tube into the wand? I still have the same problem as you described, very dark ABV on top, brown on the back.
I‘ll post a pic at night, I‘ve got band rehearsal directly after work, so it‘s gonna be late! ;)

And, yeah, it seems to be a very small scene here in Vienna, I think I only know two or three fellow vapers here ;)

Dubber,

RedZep

Tempest got to my house safe and sound:rockon:
Unfortunately I'll be away for more than one week but hopefully that's enough time for the :leaf: delivery guy :cool:

@Brenyo
Do you have some advices for someone that wants to play with different balls materials/diameters?
I can't advise on ball size. But in my opinion SIC is the one to try. I've tried Boro, shorter heat cycle, but without substantially reduced heat up requirement.

Ruby will be very close to Zirc (standard) and not worth trying. SIC will change the experience enough to warrant potential experimentation.

I'm in no rush to try myself as I find the heat cycle length to be more than enough. I would be interested to see SIC performance in back to back bowls. Might attain even more efficiency.

Jojofernz

My absolute favorite part about this thing, is when paired with a Reload 2, becomes the easiest and quickest thing for me to dump out and re pack. It’s so satisfying how quickly it can be accomplished with the unscrewing of the cap. This is sometimes my most annoying part of vaping especially on the go and this just made it fun and easy.

I’ve been doing 570f(basically 300c) until timeout and that’s perfect for the first bowl, if I’m doing back to back I still do 570 but pull it shortly after the blinking stops instead of timeout to ensure I get all my flavor and not too toasty.

With a torch I push it to right before the third notch. My first click seems to come around the first notch and I can’t quite tell the second one?

Great so far today on the road!

Edit: is there two clicks or just one? I know it’s still not calibrated but I can’t remember

Gaminginvader

Smoke hater
IMG-3864.jpg
IMG-3865.jpg
IMG-3860.jpg
This thing is so incredible. Gonna wait to give it all a thorough opinion but for now I’m already in love. Dialing it in was incredibly simple thanks to all the tips and info on this thread. Much appreciated to all

Some of the on-the-go carrying options I’m getting ready for tomorrow. (Posted above I suppose I don’t know how to format here on mobile and I’m high as tits from this. Running hash bowls was excellent.)

VonGest

Edit: that should be a link to a video, I still got about 4-5 good rips after that one. This thing rocks, in a piece or native. Stem has incredible cooling. Y’all have a good night much love
What glass are you using? That piece looks nice.

Gaminginvader,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So it's way too early for me to give any kind of reasonable opinion about this device, other than it gets me pretty fucked up pretty easily. I am only three or four half bowls in, so I am really pretty much still a virgin.
I am using the half bowl setting and that will be fine for me for now. I did my first bowl yesterday earlier than I intended to because it was clean and dry and waiting for me. For your entertainment I will tell you that on my first go, I set the Wave to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, forgetting that I had switched the device from Celsius to Fahrenheit and 300 was the recommended temperature. I did get very good flavor even though I didn't get much vapor, and I put it down for a few minutes to answer a phone call. Halfway through the call, I realized that the Tempest had done its job quite well for a flavor only hit. Raising the temperature subsequently gave me much cloudier hits.
There are a lot of variables I still have to get down including insertion depth. I have only used it in the stem so far, and the stem has been getting quite warm. I see above that that may be an insertion depth issue as well.
Even at this early stage, it is clear to me that this is going to be a great vape that is flexible and powerful and an excellent addition to the family of vapes I use. Whether it becomes the primary vape in my stable will be something that only time will tell, but it certainly has that potential if anything does.
I will mention that the magnet on the Reload really makes a powerful connection with the Tempest, allowing me to walk around holding either the stem or the Reload without concern that they may separate. A much stronger connection than the VapCap caps make, which can easily be knocked off the magnet.

Cannabiker

I had the insert pushed down well below level. So my Tempest was getting heated closer to the bowl. I was getting exceptional results still, but the stem got hotter to the touch.
Same here; I must have misread the first instructions I saw about insertion level, because I had the adapter pushed all the way in, so that it was in contact with whatever surface it sat on. Now that I've got the top edge of the glass aligned with the with the red ring atop the Wand I'm getting less heat to the stem, a more even roast, and I've stopped leaving scorch marks beneath the Wand.

Sublim8

I can't advise on ball size. But in my opinion SIC is the one to try. I've tried Boro, shorter heat cycle, but without substantially reduced heat up requirement.

Ruby will be very close to Zirc (standard) and not worth trying. SIC will change the experience enough to warrant potential experimentation.

I'm in no rush to try myself as I find the heat cycle length to be more than enough. I would be interested to see SIC performance in back to back bowls. Might attain even more efficiency.
Thank you Red for your valuable infos 🙏

I may order some SiC 2.3mm balls, price is ok if performance is better (previously got a quote for bigger ones)
I'll buy some Zirconia in case my medicated self loses some :lol:

Will wait for Brenyo input about balls size before ordering

Last edited:

techtoker

IMG-3864.jpg
IMG-3865.jpg
IMG-3860.jpg
This thing is so incredible. Gonna wait to give it all a thorough opinion but for now I’m already in love. Dialing it in was incredibly simple thanks to all the tips and info on this thread. Much appreciated to all

Some of the on-the-go carrying options I’m getting ready for tomorrow. (Posted above I suppose I don’t know how to format here on mobile and I’m high as tits from this. Running hash bowls was excellent.)

VonGest

Edit: that should be a link to a video, I still got about 4-5 good rips after that one. This thing rocks, in a piece or native. Stem has incredible cooling. Y’all have a good night much love
I'm using the same glass piece with my tempest! Different mouth piece, but I'm really liking the TRWW one too.

I use a bonger instead of a vong, but now you have me wondering if I should get one...

Jojofernz

Can you tell us where you got this case? It looks. like the Venti case, but without the S&B colors.
I really wish I could!!! I found it in my house earlier this year after I got a wand and discovered it worked perfectly. The brand or logo was scrapped off.

It seems like some case for either something electronic or pens cause it has a couple of loops on one side and two mesh pockets on the other. I think it was left from some housemates who moved out but I want to find out too cause it’s perfect for wand and a couple devices

Shorner

Well, I changed the tube and modified my settings a little : direct tube, matrix airflow 2/3 closed, bypass mode (but closed by my finger).
The device is indeed getting much cooler...and the clouds are much more massive and dense. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it saved me a lot of time and energy.🙂
I'm happy with this setting and I know that other combinations are possible, but I'm reassured that native use is great.
I'm now waiting to dress it in wood.
I have just tried the direct tube for the first time, the clouds are definitely more dense im really liking it.

RedZep

I have just tried the direct tube for the first time, the clouds are definitely more dense im really liking it.
It gives some heat at the back of the throat that reminds of smoking. It's worth trying for those who like to do joint puffs. The amount of ways I can enjoy this vape seems to grow by the day. For single large lung buster hits I strongly advise Helix tube however.

Top Bottom