The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Grover

Retailer
Post, ahem adjustment, the same thing happened to mine. Seems secure though.

@Brenyo, I'm back in business! Thank you for the support. It had been a long day, and I was absolutely devastated to think I might not be able to use my tempest again for a while.

Btw, does anyone know of a good online, US based place to buy replacement or alternative balls?
My bro, Mike Grizzard, has a lot of 3mm zirc, SiC and ruby balls for a great price. MGVSolutions for the win.

HumbleLivings

The Tempest itself isn't ready yet, and every kit comes with a free cover! The few who have early releases need to find appropriate storage, but extra covers are always useful.
yeah exactly thats why I purchased the Leather pouches because I knew I would not be getting one with my Tempest (which i just received today) I just wanted to have a storage for it so I bought that leather pouch and a medium size lether bag to carry 1 Reload, 1 Tempest, wand or firefox torch (cant fit both wand and torch though) :)

but these leather storage pouches are really great that i ordered a few more, they are very good quality and cheap $6-$8 usd

HumbleLivings

I just Received my Tempest today and wow this thing is amazing
I can say that the Tempest has created a new higher standard and class for these type of vapes imo

it would not be in the same class as my other similiar vapes like Dynavaps, Anvil (I would hear others talking very good about Tempest and I just had to try it for myself to find out if the hype was real, and it is!)

it is nice that you are able to heat it up and really sit back and enjoy your vaping session
without trying to rush it because the heat calories will run out, (Rushing is the case with others but NOT the Tempest) which is
why I say it should be in its own higher class imo.

I tried it natively and I usually use all my vapes through water, but I can see myself enjoying more native sessions now with The Tempest

Flavor is good and vapor just keeps going and going, really enjoyable experience tbh

I did try it on water and again I like that I dont have to be rushed because the heat calories will run out
I get alot more vapor out of a nice size bowl and get pretty dark roast on top and medium roast on the rest (pretty even for the most part except on top part which is again a lil darker)

but The Tempest gently draws all the yummy medicinal properties or the herb very nicely

I just got it today and more testing is needed but The Tempest is one of my best buys on these type of vapes, (along with my Venty)
I am looking forward to getting a 2nd or even 3rd Tempest when released

Oh yeah I also tried the tempest once with the Torch was a very nice session as well but I need to test all this alot more
to give more feedback, as I only have torched it once and was a great session as well tbh.

I really like the visual indicator works great
( I just realized I did Not hear any clicks on mine at all Not sure if I was sent the Clicker plates or Not tbh)

so far I really really love the Tempest and I have only used the helix and closed airflow, so I got alot of testing to do haha

CON: one thing I did Not like is the thread on bowl with Tempest Tip/Head, when I screw it on it does Not feel like it finds the thread really easily and feel sturdy when I am turning it thread the bowl to tip head, I have not heard anyone else talk about this, but for me it seems like it needs better threads, I kinda feel that i might strip the threads at times because again it does not feel like bowl threads are connecting properly with tip head threads, for example on my anvil when i thread bowl I am super confident on turning it to screw on properly, with Tempest threads feel lose and sometimes i have to do it very slowly to make sure its on properly, (maybe i have bad threads as i have not heard anyone else talk about this idk but just wanted to make sure i mention this. but yeah this is so far the one con for me, but more testing is needed for better feedback overall :)

I also bought 6 reloads which I am also enjoying very much I use them as stands for my Vapes as well as storage and debowlers.

more testing upcoming and I willl share more of my experience with this beautiful, powerful vape as I try it and test some more

so if you enjoy dynavaps, Anvils etc. treat yourself well and get you a Tempest its a totally different
experience and one you will really Enjoy!

Thank you Brenyo and MH Team! Great job! ✌️

[[I am adding some pictures I hope they show up lol ]]

Last edited:
I got my Tempest this past Monday and holy shit is it awesome! Really feels like I'm smoking a joint with how many puffs you can get off it from one heat up. And the Reload gen2 compliments it perfectly with how easy it is to clear and repack a bowl for back-to-back sessions.

Regarding my heat up technique, and this probably varies for each early release Tempest, but I let it heat up in the wand until I hear the click of the uncalibrated disc then count anywhere from 10-13 seconds depending on the roast I'm going for. This usually puts the visual indicator between or slightly above the second and third lines. I found this to be the sweet spot for me where I get perfect fluffy clouds with great flavor. I can normally get 2 heat ups from one bowl. I've stretched it to 3-4 heat ups when going for lower temp hits.

I'm still experimenting with the air intake, but I've been preferring to keep the cap vents halfway to a quarter open with the stem airport closed. I've been using the helix tube with the SCU. I cough pretty easily so the SCU helps reduce that when taking direct hits.

Also, I've tried the Tempest cap with my Revolve with a wood stem and it smacks. The vapor was cool and consistent. I went through a few back-to-back sessions, and I only ever felt the wood slightly warm up. Very comparable to the stock Tempest stem for cooling vapor. Great stuff.

Regarding storage, I'm using the leather pen sleeve from Amazon that RedeyeDezign had linked previously. It fits great. Link below.

Overall, I feel the Tempest is at the same level as my Tinymight2. And the versatility to experiment with my Dynavap stem collection makes it even better. The Tempest has been my go-to since landing and I think it'll stay that way for a while. It's an endgame vape for sure!

Definitely pick one up on release!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Regarding my heat up technique, and this probably varies for each early release Tempest, but I let it heat up in the wand until I hear the click of the uncalibrated disc then count anywhere from 10-13 seconds depending on the roast I'm going for. This usually puts the visual indicator between or slightly above the second and third lines. I found this to be the sweet spot for me where I get perfect fluffy clouds with great flavor. I can normally get 2 heat ups from one bowl. I've stretched it to 3-4 heat ups when going for lower temp hits.
I'm so looking forward to when they are calibrated both the clicks and the indicator, the more I use it the more I know that to really dial in the experience, is going to require either its calibrated or I develop a new skill with timekeeping... I am so looking forwards to listening for a click, and then tempering how I heat the tempest, watching the visual indicator until it gets the the exact spot I want it to be, for the material I am vaporizing...

I wanted to add a different type of review. I use cannabis to help manage PTSD. The Tempest has a solid heady signature which I have found to be really effective to help with managing some aspects of the condition.

Last edited:

Brenyo

Manufacturer
one thing I did Not like is the thread on bowl with Tempest Tip/Head, when I screw it on it does Not feel like it finds the thread really easily and feel sturdy when I am turning it thread the bowl to tip head, I have not heard anyone else talk about this, but for me it seems like it needs better threads, I kinda feel that i might strip the threads at times because again it does not feel like bowl threads are connecting properly with tip head threads, for example on my anvil when i thread bowl I am super confident on turning it to screw on properly, with Tempest threads feel lose and sometimes i have to do it very slowly to make sure its on properly, (maybe i have bad threads as i have not heard anyone else talk about this idk but just wanted to make sure i mention this.
The thread should be very loose, that's on purpose so it can't get stuck, even if you have some bits in there. It should work smoothly as long as you're trying to screw it on straight and fairly gently. You don't have to turn it slowly, just don't press it too hard. Let me know again in a few days please, there might be some metal shavings left in the thread or something, but it's possible that it's faulty as well though.

Thanks for the quick review! :tup:

RedZep

I'm so looking forward to when they are calibrated both the clicks and the indicator, the more I use it the more I know that to really dial in the experience, is going to require either its calibrated or I develop a new skill with timekeeping... I am so looking forwards to listening for a click, and then tempering how I heat the tempest, watching the visual indicator until it gets the the exact spot I want it to be, for the material I am vaporizing...

I wanted to add a different type of review. I use cannabis to help manage PTSD. The Tempest has a solid heady signature which I have found to be really effective to help with managing some aspects of the condition.
Glad to hear it is helping your pain. I have a chronic pain condition also, and have similar to report. It reminded me I wanted to give a little more feedback on the signature.

I've been using it alongside the sticky Brick runt this last week. Back and forth in same session. Sometimes starting with SB, sometimes with Tempest. Also had a whole day dedicated to just one device, then switched the next day.

The SB has a very pure convection signature. It's very heady, cerebral. Not in a creeping sense either. Can feel quite rushy also. Can make your head spin so to speak.

The Tempest feels different. It still feels convection heavy, but it's more grounded. When I'm using Tempest in a prolonged session the potency gets me very medicated, but there is always a sense of calm.

I'm someone who can have panic attacks from cannabis sometimes, despite being a heavy user. Sometimes certain strains are culprits, or stress etc. But I absolutely feel certain vapes are more likely triggers than others. The conduction heavy Anvil always had me wary after some bad experiences, so I would use less sometimes, even though I wasn't medicated enough, I would fear overdoing it. The SB has gave me that feeling once or twice this week, in that speedy, head spinning way. But I managed to collect myself before any kind of panic attack.

In my extensive testing of the Tempest I haven't come close to that kind of issue. In summary I would call the signature potent, calm, grounded, yet clearly convection based. I like it very much. For me the signature matches everything else about the vape that makes it jump out as a daily tool.

I realize vape signature is a difficult thing to describe or discuss. And also there must be a degree of subjectivity. It will be interesting to see how others try to describe it in the near future.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
The Tempest feels different. It still feels convection heavy, but it's more grounded. When I'm using Tempest in a prolonged session the potency gets me very medicated, but there is always a sense of calm.
I was trying to to write a review that said something like this, but I just am struggling to find the right words to describe how it works on pain, and yet is more heady and euphoric than the other devices I am using and I can't quite find the way to describe it properly, as you say that signature is subjective.

In summary I would call the signature potent, calm, grounded, yet clearly convection based. I like it very much. For me the signature matches everything else about the vape that makes it jump out as a daily tool.
Yeah I am happy with that description, more grounded... very true, its that component I'm finding helpful with PTSD.

RedZep

I was trying to to write a review that said something like this, but I just am struggling to find the right words to describe how it works on pain, and yet is more heady and euphoric than the other devices I am using and I can't quite find the way to describe it properly, as you say that signature is subjective.

Yeah I am happy with that description, more grounded... very true, its that component I'm finding helpful with PTSD.
Yeah I want to emphasize that the signature is very clearly convection. So when I say "grounded" I don't mean in the deep bassy way conduction vapes are. More an emphasis that the effects move with you. Not jumping ahead like SB and making your head spin. Or creeping up slowly like Volcano Hybrid. Maybe that's what I'm getting at, speed of onset. It's just right.

Either way I feel very comfortable getting extremely medicated with this thing. Which is good for pain as you say.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yeah I want to emphasize that the signature is very clearly convection. So when I say "grounded" I don't mean in the deep bassy way conduction vapes are. More an emphasis that the effects move
I get it, I don't think I would understand if I hadn't used the Tempest though, I can't think of a equal comparison at the moment.

@RedZep I have just been thinking about it and yeah, there is a speed of onset to the Tempest, I don't know how to explain that exactly though as its not buzzy or excited (or anxious to use a stronger word) unlike some very heady convection systems

Last edited:
VapingYogi,
Reactions: RedZep

HaggisHunter

Morning folks, those using the tempest at the moment, I'm thinking of having a go at securing one at this pre sale, if I don't score one it's all good, I'll just need to wait till launch.
I see a lot of people are using this with the wand, anyone using their tempest solely with a torch?
I really fancy this, but can't afford to shell out another £100 on a wand, but it's mostly wand experiences I'm reading here, anyone battering it with a torch?
If so how are you finding it?

HaggisHunter,

RedZep

Morning folks, those using the tempest at the moment, I'm thinking of having a go at securing one at this pre sale, if I don't score one it's all good, I'll just need to wait till launch.
I see a lot of people are using this with the wand, anyone using their tempest solely with a torch?
I really fancy this, but can't afford to shell out another £100 on a wand, but it's mostly wand experiences I'm reading here, anyone battering it with a torch?
If so how are you finding it?
I typically use my torch for subsequent bowls. But I also use it when my wand batteries are charging. Works fine once you are accustomed to your favourite visual indicator points. I get exactly same heat up times from cold as my wand. My torch is a mid sized single flame at 80% length. Touching the Tempest up with hottest part of flame (point of inner flame).

I don't find a need sot spin but I find my self turning once halfway through the heat up. More out of OCD than anything else I guess 😁

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I typically use my torch for subsequent bowls. But I also use it when my wand batteries are charging. Works fine once you are accustomed to your favourite visual indicator points. I get exactly same heat up times from cold as my wand. My torch is a mid sized single flame at 80% length. Touching the Tempest up with hottest part of flame (point of inner flame).
I haven't tried to use the Torch yet, I'm finding the wand surprisingly good in combination with the Tempest, I literally had it in a box for 11 months after getting it as part of a kit. I always use torches for my Anvil and Dynavap but think I will wait until I have clicks and stuff.

RedZep

I haven't tried to use the Torch yet, I'm finding the wand surprisingly good in combination with the Tempest, I literally had it in a box for 11 months after getting it as part of a kit. I always use torches for my Anvil and Dynavap but think I will wait until I have clicks and stuff.
Yeah wand works great. Super fast considering the heat capacity of the balls. Think Brenyo mentioned how it's more magnetic than similar vapes. I would love a suitable wired IH for Tempest in the future. I'm already using mine like a heavy desktop vape. So that would be an instant buy

Misterhyde

Yeah wand works great. Super fast considering the heat capacity of the balls. Think Brenyo mentioned how it's more magnetic than similar vapes. I would love a suitable wired IH for Tempest in the future. I'm already using mine like a heavy desktop vape. So that would be an instant buy
Is the head unit too big to fit down into most induction heaters, or do the coils not land in the right spot?

Misterhyde,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Wand is my first IH, so I have no idea. I'm just going to follow the thread into the future and see what materialises by way of IH. Lots of people are excited about potential Mad Heaters IH.
I haven't used IH before now, I am - was always a torch person... loved them... I now have 2 sets of batteries on rotation and I am actually interested to see what the Vestratto Forge IH is like as well as seeing what MAD Heaters come up with... I mean the Reload is made for the Tempest like some sort of precognition :p I look forwards to seeing the level of engineering that will go into the new IH and how well it will work with the Tempest.

I have so much butane sitting around though... maybe it will change back to using torches with a calibrated temp indicator and click disc (having neither) as I really do like just having 3 things, a lighter, the reload and - now - the Tempest (instead of using a different manual portable, almost every time I would go out).

VapingYogi,

mcscruffy

I'm loving seeing the Tempest get into more hands and all the shared positive feedback!

I got some rayon fiber to try concentrate instead of sandwiching between flower and holy hell that blows the Dynas out of the water! So good and unlike the Dyna where you have to rush and potentially make a mess in the stem you can take your time and puff away... I love it!

Misterhyde

I'm loving seeing the Tempest get into more hands and all the shared positive feedback!

I got some rayon fiber to try concentrate instead of sandwiching between flower and holy hell that blows the Dynas out of the water! So good and unlike the Dyna where you have to rush and potentially make a mess in the stem you can take your time and puff away... I love it!
Glad to hear the rayon is working well. I just ordered some yesterday thinking about the Tempest. I have some organic cotton that I have used in the past but it seems to char somewhat easily and can have an undesirable taste.

Misterhyde,
Reactions: mcscruffy

Cannabiker

Has anyone tried the Tempest with the Inductor?
Yes, it works great. It offers the flexibility of a torch, as you can apply heat higher or lower on the cap. Still, my favorite heating technique for this one is the Wand. Like @RedZep, I find my self spinning with a torch or the Inductor; maybe it's a little OCD, but I have trouble believing the heat is being distributed evenly from a single point. It doesn't help that the Inductor turns it red hot on one side in seconds.

Just for context, I feel the same way with Dynavaps. I know many people see heating a DV as an art, flicking a flame at it like they're Renoir with a brush. I don't find any advantage over a well-tuned IH (please note I said "well-tuned"--the YLL is another story). But then, I have a history. I love to cook (I was a line cook in college), and while I like heating with fire, I'm fine with electric stoves. And Julia Child proved that all the romanticizing of fire over electricity is as much showmanship as practicality (you can't flare a pan on an electric stove), so I prefer to keep the gas exhaust out of my kitchen.

RedZep

Yes, it works great. It offers the flexibility of a torch, as you can apply heat higher or lower on the cap. Still, my favorite heating technique for this one is the Wand. Like @RedZep, I find my self spinning with a torch or the Inductor; maybe it's a little OCD, but I have trouble believing the heat is being distributed evenly from a single point. It doesn't help that the Inductor turns it red hot on one side in seconds.

Just for context, I feel the same way with Dynavaps. I know many people see heating a DV as an art, flicking a flame at it like they're Renoir with a brush. I don't find any advantage over a well-tuned IH (please note I said "well-tuned"--the YLL is another story). But then, I have a history. I love to cook (I was a line cook in college), and while I like heating with fire, I'm fine with electric stoves. And Julia Child proved that all the romanticizing of fire over electricity is as much showmanship as practicality (you can't flare a pan on an electric stove), so I prefer to keep the gas exhaust out of my kitchen.
Yeah agreed. I find I'm not spinning it, but instead turn once. So aim torch on one side, then when my visual indicator is halfway to my desired point, I turn it to heat the opposite side.

Haven't tested to see keep if this has any effect whatsoever. It's probably the type of ritual I would keep doing regardless of effect.

mcscruffy

Glad to hear the rayon is working well. I just ordered some yesterday thinking about the Tempest. I have some organic cotton that I have used in the past but it seems to char somewhat easily and can have an undesirable taste.
I took it about midway between the 2nd and third indicators the first time and it blew me away it tasted so awesome.

I tried going crazy and letting it go just past the third indicator and it proper wrecked me, but the taste wasn't as good (still not bad). I've used organic cotton and just a few times with the rayon I think I'm sticking with it.

Top Bottom