The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Shorner

Are there any hardcore Anvil RTL users that have recieved a Tempest yet ? Does it hit as hard that's what I want to know 🤔

Shorner,

RedZep

Are there any hardcore Anvil RTL users that have recieved a Tempest yet ? Does it hit as hard that's what I want to know 🤔
I take most my hits to the edge. Quite surprised, as I usually like low temp vaping. The potency is so good at the higher register though. Flavour is still nice somehow. I get pure convection vibes for sure.

Smknbud

Should there be o-rings on both ends of the heat shield? I'm guessing that I lost one from the air-port end, because it's floating free. I'm usually pretty good about not losing little bits during disassembly/reassembly, but I was a little excited this morning as I had a very narrow window between its arrival and time to go to work. But I can already confirm--the Tempest is a ripper!
One o-ring on the outside of radiator sleeve and the heat shield fits over it and cooling helix o-rings inserted on other end heat shield holds it all together.

Smknbud,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I am looking forwards to making this determination myself :) I don't know if I trust anyone else to tell me its better :p but I am not sure its a direct comparison anymore, I feel the Anvil, Dani, Dynavaps work one way and the TA, Stunner, Tempest work differently *shrugs* but its just based on design and the reviews so far

Although Brenyo said: There is some conduction going on so the bowl is fully roasted on the sides as well, the closer you heat to the bowl the more conduction you get in the mix.
I love that you can add a little conduction by heating lower but its a choice as it sounds like its not needed, conduction has a bad rap on flavor but sometimes with some material it can really make a difference (when using low temperatures)

Last edited:
VapingYogi,
Reactions: Shorner

mcscruffy

I love that you can add a little conduction by heating lower but its a choice as it sounds like its not needed
That's the beauty of something with so many adjustments available. Everyone can find their own perfect setting!

I've had a few bowls now and starting to feel more comfortable with it.

One thing I wanted to point out that has become more and more prevalent in my mind each time I handle it is just how *premium* this thing feels. It is a completely different league from the Revolve, and it demands comparison but it's just not there. The airflow adjustment at the mouthpiece is a pleasure to spin, low resistance but a perfectly snug seal and no play.

I don't know how else to describe it, but holding it in hand it feels like you are handling something that has passion, quality, and class poured into it.

And I'm just talking about holding it, lmao.

It has yet to get too hot to handle. The radiator sleeve is excellent.

My only issue so far has been that I couldn't figure out how to adjust the airflow at the cap end, but I just saw in the manual I'm supposed to squeeze a certain part as I twist all I'll check that out in a bit. The airflow at the cap end came about 33% open using the slot cutout for reference.

Edit: oh one thing I didn't realize was that the radiator sleeve is too large a diameter to fit into the plastic tube like on the MAD Heaters site. I like to store the Revolves in those but no dice for the Tempest. I'll manage.

Last edited:

bhasma

I am looking forwards to making this determination myself :) I don't know if I trust anyone else to tell me its better :p but I am not sure its a direct comparison anymore, I feel the Anvil, Dani, Dynavaps work one way and the TA, Stunner, Tempest work differently *shrugs* but its just based on design and the reviews so far

I love that you can add a little conduction by heating lower but its a choice as it sounds like its not needed, conduction has a bad rap on flavor but sometimes with some material it can really make a difference (when using low temperatures)
Heating lower can apparently trick the indicators leading to combustion, so a slight adjustment to heating (a bit higher or less intensely) should be RTL. But I don't know how easy it will be to do it consistently. And it seems that some conduction is always present to ensure an even roast.

And I don't agree that the Anvil works the same way as a Dynavap. The airflow in each travels past side of the bowl before turning back down through the herb chamber, but otherwise they are quite different.

bhasma,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
And I don't agree that the Anvil works the same way as a Dynavap. The airflow in each travels past side of the bowl before turning back down through the herb chamber, but otherwise they are quite different.
I can agree that they are different, but the tempest isn’t really like any of them is more the point

Last edited:
VapingYogi,
Reactions: bhasma

bhasma

Also, even though different devices work differently, and there's not much point in comparing the same technique on each device, the results from similarly roasted loads should be comparable. For example, how does the RTL experience compare in each case?

bhasma,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Oh my. My tester arrived today, I’m sure you guys will never guess, but I love it! Seconded to whoever said the lightness was surprising, it’s so light and feathering the carb with the spinning cap is a dream. My first few bowls in the wand were black char on the front of the bowl and dark roast throughout, I’ve found my particular indicator and my taste just shy of the second score mark. The constant feedback of the indicator is amazing, regardless how you like your roast you will be able to dial in your sweet spot and nail it every time. It’s a truly great setup, and I firmly believe that’s not just honeymoon talk. Also love the reload, makes a nice tight little kit for camping trips!

Definitely planning to buy another at launch, looking forward to seeing that rainbow glass @RedZep , I plan to grab that for sure.

RedZep

Oh my. My tester arrived today, I’m sure you guys will never guess, but I love it! Seconded to whoever said the lightness was surprising, it’s so light and feathering the carb with the spinning cap is a dream. My first few bowls in the wand were black char on the front of the bowl and dark roast throughout, I’ve found my particular indicator and my taste just shy of the second score mark. The constant feedback of the indicator is amazing, regardless how you like your roast you will be able to dial in your sweet spot and nail it every time. It’s a truly great setup, and I firmly believe that’s not just honeymoon talk. Also love the reload, makes a nice tight little kit for camping trips!

Definitely planning to buy another at launch, looking forward to seeing that rainbow glass @RedZep , I plan to grab that for sure.

The gold/purple Tempest, with purple Reload and Brilliant cut, is a stunning combo. Ooo even a purpleheart stir tool. Beautiful

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
@fangorn hey mate, very curious as to why you are selling your collection and the Tempest early adopter? Really just interested in your reasoning as a learning experience? thanks mate

VapingYogi,

Cannabiker

Now that I've had time to sit patiently with the Tempest, I see that I didn't lose an o-ring from the heat shield--there isn't one on the air hole end of the shield. I realized there's no o-ring when I spotted the small key on the inside diameter of the shield, which fits into the groove on the radiator sleeve. That's how the shield interfaces at that end. The detail in the machining on these is phenomenal, as always.

fangorn

yeah sorry, I knew that would make react...
I am selling through a combination of incredible circumstances... and unforeseen expenses... voluntary or not.

But, also to be honest, I know the Tempest isn't going to be a big part of my rotation. I really like the item itself but...
I'm a flavor hunter and it didn't pass the test for me. But I have become very (too?) demanding...
I suspected it, but I couldn't resist the urge to try!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
yeah sorry, I knew that would make you react...
I am selling through a combination of incredible circumstances... and unforeseen expenses... voluntary or not.

But, also to be honest, I know the Tempest isn't going to be a big part of my rotation. I really like the item itself but...
I'm a flavor hunter and it didn't pass the test for me. But I have become very (too?) demanding...
no negativity mate, each to there own, I just wanted to understand :) I really hope you are ok (the shitty circumstances) but also Its good to actually hear something who doesn't think they love it, I saw you prefer the lotus and some others, what do they have (for you) over the tempest?

VapingYogi,

fangorn

yeah, I modified and removed the "you" too late... (in French, I wrote "vous" which is for the plural). In short, not important!

But yes yes I'm fine, thank you. Purchase of a cell phone because mine decided to stop working... and other purchases in sight.

but coming back to the topic, I can share a negative review. (this needs to be put into perspective, since as you noticed, I didn't give the Tempest much time to prove itself. I clearly didn't explore a third of its capabilities. But I quickly knew that the taste, even if it is more than correct, in view of the performances, would be a limit for me).
SO:
-flavor below what I'm looking for (for flowers)
-I found that most settings had too much airflow for me. Even if we can block the airport...
With too much air, the flavor was diluted. with not enough, the flavor and density was not bad at all, but it was too much effort for my lungs.
one between two necessarily exists because it is very modular, but I had already “decided” for taste.
-with the closed settings like those I would have gone to, I felt "hot in the lungs" two or three times, and I am trying to get away from this feeling.
-it's a detail but I burned myself twice while handling it, which almost never happens to me.
-it's very, very personal, but I imagined having to choose between using the Tempest with the wand or a Vapman with the station... that suits me more. The two are not comparable at all. but the second suits me more.

that's it, basically. I insist that this does not call into question the fact that I find it to be a wonderful object and extremely well designed and produced. It's just not for me and my preferences!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
@fangorn Thank you for sharing that feedback, I don't want to just hear honeymoon stories or just hear from the people that have had it for a while and have dialed in there experiences like @RedZep :).

Its good to hear someone who got it and it wasn't for them, its real feedback and is valuable, so thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Shorner

Strange as the guy on you tube that did a review (Cannacare GB or summit) said the taste was absolutely phenomenol lol...I'm looking forward to what other users say, really hope this thing isn't being over hyped.

Magiano

Well I'm not surprised, that it doesn't taste as good as the vapman or comparible devices. That little thing has such a short and direct air path, how could the tempest hold up and I don't even have any of them. If you use the tempest with the helix it will loose some taste with the vapor travelling so long around it and touching the walls etc. I think it might taste better with a direct airflow tube, but that would be hotter for the lungs, at least that's what I experienced with my revolve. Cannacare gb has nice detailed reviews, but I was never under the impression that he was a flavour chaser, most of his reviews are about dynavaps and accessories and those are not known for the best taste possible afaik.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Strange as the guy on you tube that did a review (Cannacare GB or summit) said the taste was absolutely phenomenol lol...I'm looking forward to what other users say, really hope this thing isn't being over hyped.
I am surprised about the flavour statement as it doesn't quite click with other convection vapes so I am also keen to make my own opinions

It's intriguing to observe everyone's perspectives.. what's important to users. Thanks @fangorn
Exactly mate, a thread full of fan girls doesn't really do the product any favours

Well I'm not surprised, that it doesn't taste as good as the vapman or comparible devices. That little thing has such a short and direct air path, how could the tempest hold up and I don't even have any of them. If you use the tempest with the helix it will loose some taste with the vapor travelling so long around it and touching the walls etc. I think it might taste better with a direct airflow tube, but that would be hotter for the lungs, at least that's what I experienced with my revolve. Cannacare gb has nice detailed reviews, but I was never under the impression that he was a flavour chaser, most of his reviews revolve around dynavaps and accessories and those are not known for the best taste possible afaik.
Its also a fully titanium airpath which is often considered as an impact to flavour, however I don't know the you tube guy, anyone wanna share me a link :) ?

VapingYogi,
Reactions: fangorn
Top Bottom