The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Oooooooh, got a link for the newsletter? Cos I definitely want this.
It’s on the bottom of the website

- Can I use this stem interchangeable like the revolve 2 with a TM2 when using this wood adapter somebody in the UK sells?
Yes

- Is it true that up to this moment there is no (induction) heater that can fit this vape out of the box so I would have to use a torch lighter for now?
The wand fits both and works with it’s “timer” function so it’s a hands free timed heating (if you have an adapter ofc)

-Is there something like a warranty or can you repair things if needed?
It’s very unlikely for any part to go wrong, the cap is very durable, but every piece will be available online or if requested. Even the temp sensors can be replaced fairly easily.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Just finished the manual, it might help to answer some questions :) If anything is unclear please let me know. The hidden few details are still to be confirmed.

TempestManual2.jpg

Last edited:

PeePhlegm

Hi Brenyo,

I actually decided to make an account to ask you about the dimensions of the device and then you posted this answering my question.

Manual looks great, instructions are nice and clear with concise and simple language. Just a couple of suggestions and then some questions also.

Suggestions:
1. I am not sure how the manual will be folded, but is there a potential someone might not read the "Before first use" section and go straight to the "How to use" section? Maybe a note * should be added in small print in the how to use section such as *If using for the first time out of the box, ensure to read Before First Use section prior to use.

2. I presume it is just not in the manual yet as it's still being finalized but should there be a blown up diagram of the visual indicator?

3. You refer to the control dial as two different names (I think unless I am just reading it wrong). It is referred to as the Airpath Control Dial in the diagram however in the Airflow Adjustment section it is referred to as the Airflow Control Dial.

4. For the Airpath Options section it is a little unclear that the helix applies to the first three options reading downwards and the direct applies the the second set. Open and Direct Open being on the same line and not separated in the middle made it slightly unclear but this could just be me. Maybe you could put the control dial diagrams in the middle or something?

Questions:
1. I see that the mouthpiece fits 10mm waterpipe connections and that the total width of the device is 14mm. If I was to try to put it straight into a 14 mm stem would it not fit or is there a section where it rests? Like just above or below the air hole? Or will an adapter be needed for 14 mm?

2. By the wording of the cleaning section it seems like it is safe to submerge the cap in IPA? Is this correct?

3. Are both Airpath options supplied in the box or do you pick one when purchasing?

I am very excited for The Tempest as I have been humming and hawing over whether to purchase an anvil or a fusion. 100% going with this offering. Absolutely brilliant work!

4. Will there be an option for ball material or just size?

Last edited:

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Are there beta units?
Yes, just a few though.

Looks great. You may have meant "lint particles" instead of "flint particles", unless there's a third heating type I'm unaware of?
Indeed, thanks! :D

@Brenyo am i wrong or the manual is the tempest package?🦄 (Not in a bad way)
That's right, trying to use as little paper as possible 🙂

Just a couple of suggestions and then some questions also.
These are really good suggestions, thank you!

I presume it is just not in the manual yet as it's still being finalized but should there be a blown up diagram of the visual indicator?
I've changed the 3 marking lines to white on the how to use images make it a bit clearer. In the indicator range section should I mention that they represent low, medium and high temp if that's what you're missing?

The rest are fixed, thanks!

TempestManual4.jpg

1. I see that the mouthpiece fits 10ml waterpipe connections and that the total width of the device is 14ml. If I was to try to put it straight into a 14 ml stem would it not fit or is there a section where it rests? Like just above or below the air hole? Or will an adapter be needed for 14 ml?
There is no seal between the heat shield and the inner sleeve below the airpath dial where it's getting thicker. I tried to make it that way, the first beta had it, but It didn't look great and it's meant to be a native device. I'll probably sell WPA + Tempest kits at some point, don't spend this much on a stem if you want to use it through water :D

2. By the wording of the cleaning section it seems like it is safe to submerge the cap in IPA? Is this correct?
ISO , yes

3. Are both Airpath options supplied in the box or do you pick one when purchasing?
Both included

4. Will there be an option for ball material or just size?
Neither. It'll likely come with 2.5mm rubies only, other options are sold separately.

Last edited:

PeePhlegm

I've changed the 3 marking lines to white on the how to use images make it a bit clearer. In the indicator range section should I mention that they represent low, medium and high temp if that's what you're missing?
The white lines on the diagram look better for sure. I would be of the opinion you should mention what each represent as it's a unique feature that people wouldn't be used to. Also manuals should be fool proof and it seems like everything else is explained in detail bar what the lines represent on the indicator.

The manual and device look really great, looking forward to the release! Are there any email compatibility issues with your newsletter, or will all the major email services receive emails with no issue?

PeePhlegm,
Reactions: Brenyo

Zasquatch

Z-stems
The white lines on the diagram look better for sure. I would be of the opinion you should mention what each represent as it's a unique feature that people wouldn't be used to. Also manuals should be fool proof and it seems like everything else is explained in detail bar what the lines represent on the indicator.

The manual and device look really great, looking forward to the release! Are there any email compatibility issues with your newsletter, or will all the major email services receive emails with no issue?
I think he does explain it. Down by the airflow diagram he has a spot that’s been redacted in white that looks like it’s gonna state temperature ranges for each mark and each click. There’s also discussion in the how to use area. IMO what’s there is good!

PeePhlegm

I think he does explain it. Down by the airflow diagram he hugged has a spot that’s been redacted in white that looks like it’s gonna state temperature ranges for each mark and each click. There’s also discussion in the how to use area. IMO what’s there is good!
Yea I suppose you are right, I might be looking for a bit of an over explanation to be honest. I just love labelled diagrams haha. A picture says a thousand words kind of thing. But the instructions are super clear so what's there currently is as you were saying probably all that is needed. :)

Zasquatch

Z-stems
Yea I suppose you are right, I might be looking for a bit of an over explanation to be honest. I just love labelled diagrams haha. A picture says a thousand words kind of thing. But the instructions are super clear so what's there currently is as you were saying probably all that is needed. :)
I think a how to video on the website would be even better for those that are having a hard time with the instructions. Every time I’ve stumbled with something I go find a video and come to the “that was easy” realization haha

Thermal

I think a how to video on the website would be even better for those that are having a hard time with the instructions. Every time I’ve stumbled with something I go find a video and come to the “that was easy” realization haha

Great point. Instructions that can take a while to read and understood by me, can be understood within a few seconds just by watching something in action. I’m more of a visual learner.

Thermal,
Reactions: Brenyo

Brenyo

Manufacturer
I'm not aware of any issues, it should be fine with most.

I think a how to video on the website would be even better
Yeah it's planned, I have a QR code on the box for it.

RedZep

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing since the heat battery is above the herb chamber, as opposed to wrapped around it like dynavap/Anvil, that we can heat the device as fast as we want?

With the aforementioned devices it was possible to accidently combust even if heated to the click. I imagine that's not the same with this device.

RedZep,
Reactions: Franco

Franco

is (most likely) vaping
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing since the heat battery is above the herb chamber, as opposed to wrapped around it like dynavap/Anvil, that we can heat the device as fast as we want?

With the aforementioned devices it was possible to accidently combust even if heated to the click. I imagine that's not the same with this device.
Obviously, I don't have a Tempest, but judging from my experience with its "legacy vape" (so to speak), I'd say your assumption is correct.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
That's correct, but as a general rule if you want to use it with a big torch (or less than about 12s heat-up) you'll want to heat it a little closer to the indicator rather than in the middle of the ball section. A triple torch will take about 20s.
There is some conduction going on so the bowl is fully roasted on the sides as well, the closer you heat to the bowl the more conduction you get in the mix.

Last edited:

RedZep

That's correct, but as a general rule if you want to use it with a big torch (or less than about 12s heat-up) you'll want to heat it a little closer to the indicator rather than in the middle of the ball section. A triple torch will take about 20s.
There is some conduction going on so the bowl is fully roasted on the sides as well, the closer you heat to the bowl the more conduction you get in the mix.
Awesome. Good to know. The ability to skew more towards conduction as an option is a great feature imo. Thanks for the quick reply.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Love my revolve 2 stem so very excited about this. Any ideas if it would work with a vapoven which is what I currently use?
If it’s compatible with the armored cap (about 13mm glass ID) and has at least 21mm depth then it is.

Apart from the aesthetics is there any difference between the tempest stem and revolve 2 stem?
Yes, there is no screen at the end of the spiral and no DRC feature, but it has a POM bearing within the mouthpiece. It cools a bit better with the Ti sleeve and it can’t get hot to the touch.

It’s not worth getting a new CU assembly, just maybe the new sleeve and the Tempest tip/cap.

Top Bottom