• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Sublimator

hassan

Connoisseur
So, my Sublimator has a new home with a good friend. He has been eyeing it since I got it and finally pryed it from my hands. He was like a kid on Christmas morning and then so was I when he showed me the 12+ kinds of dab's he had to christen it.:ko:

So you sold it/gave it away permanently?

What prompted that, if you don't mind my asking?

hassan

Connoisseur
I traded it for a crafty. Ya, it's gone for good. I really didn't use it much anymore and it served me well. He's my oldest friend and was sooooo happy to get it so it wasn't hard to part with really. I'll still get to visit it anyway.

I've contemplated selling mine since it isn't getting much use.

But I also think having the OG Sub is an asset of sorts - and I have so much love for it.

Plus if I sold it, the bong would have to go with it as well.

What is a Crafty? (I have been totally out of the vaping community - I use my Solo on the rare occasion I want to vape, or I have disposable oil vapes that are the size of a small cigarette that I can put in my wallet and bypass all security checks at any events I attend).

hassan,
Reactions: grokit

MoltenTiger

Hopefully someone can help me out.

I've got the XLR 2.0 Dabmaster, but my Monkey Controller just died :'(
First the power inlet pried off, and now I think I've short circuited the board and it's probably quite dead, but possibly salvageable.

I figured I could just get the new 3.0 controller from Sublimator.ca, BUT now I read that it's only usable with a 3.0 heater.
FUCK

What do I do?
Can the new controller be used with an adapter if it's just a mini-XLR connector?*
Can it be rewired with my XLR cable from the current controller?

Can some other controller be used?
Is there an in-stock XLR 2.0 MC option somewhere?

:cry::doh:

*edit: just discovered this https://verdampftnochmal.de/products/en/Sublimator-Monkey-Controller
It states "For older heating handles do we offer an adapter in our shop."

So rejoice!! I was beginning to look for an alternative vape, and there just isn't anything that fits the bill. The Sub is a must for me, I look forward to letting it stay on for 3 hours at a time!!
The hour time-out was my one frustration with it, beyond the dicky terminal and the now broken PCB.
Can't wait to get it back up and operational!

Edit 2: I've had contact with verdampftnochmal, and they mentioned they use an audio adapter but also change "wire direction inside".
It seems they are able to help me out, but postage could be quite expensive..

Last edited:

Poostuff

Please delete
It’s awesome that they offer an adapter, Sublimator should do also.
It doesn’t look like anyone else has the 2.0 controller in stock.
You’ll love the 3hr timer if you decide to go that way, I have the 2.0 & the 3.0 & the 3hr timer makes all the difference.
Both of mine have been reliable & the 3.0 runs for about 9 hours some days.
I honestly think that’s a better way to go than trying to source a 2.0 controller even if it costs a bit more with shipping.
There were some options for a controller going to be offered by Hex-Nail & I followed that thread for a while but it didn’t eventuate.
Good luck I’d love to know how this pans out for you.

MoltenTiger

It’s awesome that they offer an adapter, Sublimator should do also.
It doesn’t look like anyone else has the 2.0 controller in stock.
You’ll love the 3hr timer if you decide to go that way, I have the 2.0 & the 3.0 & the 3hr timer makes all the difference.
Both of mine have been reliable & the 3.0 runs for about 9 hours some days.
I honestly think that’s a better way to go than trying to source a 2.0 controller even if it costs a bit more with shipping.
There were some options for a controller going to be offered by Hex-Nail & I followed that thread for a while but it didn’t eventuate.
Good luck I’d love to know how this pans out for you.
Thanks, I still haven't heard back with the details of how the adapter will work.
I will share it here once I find out, it could be just the adapter that needs tweaking, perhaps the polarity is reversed or something.

So annoyed I can't just get a 2.0 MC but they have been fully replaced and just aren't available.

Anyhow, the 3hr time-out is worth the upgrade as you say. It was always a pain on Game of Thrones night. It always turned off and was never ready to use when needed :p
3x the time will be sublime.

A pity the Hex controller never turned out, now that would have been a cool upgrade!

BTW, other than the badly designed power connector (which isn't secured to anything and was pried off the logic board by my cable) the controller was pretty decent. It's my fault that I broke it, if I'd known how expensive a mistake I was about to make... I might have been a bit more careful :p

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Didn't Enrico from Sublimator announce a few months ago that there will come a new digital controller from Sublimator this year? There was a vid I think from bubbleman and/or John Berfelo?

@MoltenTiger, perhaps better waiting for the new controller?
Or maybe release of the sw from HexNail for opimizing the HN for the Sublimator will come even former?

I for myself would prefer a pairing with the HN much more. But probabely both announcements are unreal?

Poostuff

Please delete
I don’t think he’s going to want to wait @Hogni it’s pretty terrible when you’re used to hitting your Sub & all of a sudden you can’t, it’s like a vaping disaster.
I have a Volcano classic & an Evo both of which are truly excellent heavy hitters but I’d still miss the Sub if I couldn’t use it.
I’m glad I didn’t wait for the Hex-Nail compatibly like a few people suggested but I’d still be interested if their next project includes the Sub.

MoltenTiger

Didn't Enrico from Sublimator announce a few months ago that there will come a new digital controller from Sublimator this year? There was a vid I think from bubbleman and/or John Berfelo?

@MoltenTiger, perhaps better waiting for the new controller?
Or maybe release of the sw from HexNail for opimizing the HN for the Sublimator will come even former?

I for myself would prefer a pairing with the HN much more. But probabely both announcements are unreal?
Thanks for the heads up, I will suss that out.

The 3.0 MC is new from January this year though, so perhaps that could be the new controller?

I'll have to look into this HexNail business too, as it does look pretty cool.

Ultimately though, @Poostuff is right - I just want my Sub back.
And also, as long as it is working, and has a 3hr timeout, there's nothing I'd really want on top of that either.

Though a big touchscreen would be awesome! It does seem a bit redundant with the Sub in all honesty.

@Hogni I can't find anything on a new controller, do you have any more info? :)

I'm also wondering @Poostuff, does the 3.0 controller work with the same power supply as the 2.0?

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,
Reactions: Poostuff

Hogni

Unfortunately I've no link. I dont think the vid is headed as "New Sublimator controller" or such else. It was btw but not topic of the vid.

The gals of HN are so busy all the time I dont belive they'll get the Sub settings the next time. Currentely they are working (btw) for further improvements of controlling all NV FP devices and the CCA Ligers. IF they'll come back to the Sub I dont believe that it will happen before mid of next year.

MoltenTiger

Unfortunately I've no link. I dont think the vid is headed as "New Sublimator controller" or such else. It was btw but not topic of the vid.

The gals of HN are so busy all the time I dont belive they'll get the Sub settings the next time. Currentely they are working (btw) for further improvements of controlling all NV FP devices and the CCA Ligers. IF they'll come back to the Sub I dont believe that it will happen before mid of next year.
Can you remember any details about it?

I had a look at the HN, damn it's a cool bit of kit. It is a little expensive for what it would offer the Sub, but maybe one day!

MoltenTiger,

Hogni

The new HN02 without touchscreen is around 300 I think?

Looking at the prices of Sublimator I guess the new digital one will go nearly the same?

Remember there were two guys in the vid, I mean to remember it were JB and BB. The vid was posted in this or the other Sublimator thread.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

The new HN02 without touchscreen is around 300 I think?

Looking at the prices of Sublimator I guess the new digital one will go nearly the same?

Remember there were two guys in the vid, I mean to remember it were JB and BB. The vid was posted in this or the other Sublimator thread.
If I had more to use it with, it would be worth that I guess. But with the Sub, the basic Monkey Controller is just fine, I like the simplicity of it. It's not about dialling in a number so much, or monitoring anything, as it just blasts bud to ABV like nothing else. It's really so simple, so it doesn't seem like investing in custom controllers will have any return other than aesthetics, where a smaller footprint item is a better alternative for me anyway.

So this new Sub controller is going to have a digital read out?
I'll do some more searching :)

I guess here is the vid

It doesn't show any pics, but Enrico is showing a dude round his products and mentions a new controller on the horizon, different to the MC 3.0.
It'll have WiFi, connect to an app and offer remote capabilities like turning it on at a specified time.
Kind of cool, but more important to me is being able to keep on Subbing ASAP.
This is how I feel
"I've been having a dickens of a time concocting an eggnog that provides the certain.. heady tingle.. that I require"

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

The power supply is a little different @MoltenTiger more compect but yes it is definitely interchangeable between 2.0 & 3.0 so you won’t need another.
Awesome! That'll save me a few bob for sure. Cheers.

I heard back from Verdamftnochmal about the rewiring necessary.

It's not clear, but it sounds like the power lead has to be reversed (taken off and soldered back in reverse), which leads me to think a couple of things
- I could probably attach my XLR 2.0 to the MC 3.0 directly
- A cable adapter could be modded to make it plug and play with either heater handle style

The adapters are pretty hard to find in Aus, eBay and China to the rescue

I've also reached out to Sublimator Warranty, so hopefully I don't actually have to worry about all this...

MoltenTiger,

Hogni

the 3.0 has a miniXLR connection...

You need an adapter or has to rewire your old connector plug

Hogni,

MoltenTiger

the 3.0 has a miniXLR connection...

You need an adapter or has to rewire your old connector plug
Correct, the latest 3.0 style is XLR MINI, where as the older 2.0 style is full size XLR.
This is a microphone jack.

To use a 2.0 Sub handle with a 3.0 MC, you can use an audio adapter, male XLR to female XLR MINI, but you must also modify the polarity of the power lead (not 100% sure on this, I should find out once I get further emails back)

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: Hogni

MoltenTiger

As if I couldn't like this device any more, warranty have come through and are going to ship me a replacement controller. I'm going to pay the postage, but how good is that.

No soldering required and free'd up funds.
No 3hr time-out though, I don't think. Can deal with that for a couple hundred saved!

lazylathe

Almost there...
I need to find a way to adjust the temps over a broader range, this means finding a new style of rotary dial.
I have tried a few lamp cord ones rated at 300W but they were no good.
Then i went onto an ebay recommended item and it also had a very narrow range.

Unfortunately the cartridge heater is welded into the nose, so it is impossible to replace with a thermocoupled version.

With the original dial i had about 2 clicks that was my favorite temp, slightly below and the herb was green, slightly above and it was black...No happy or easy medium ground.
It is the version with the timer box so it still has the 120V heater.

Any suggestions?

MoltenTiger

I need to find a way to adjust the temps over a broader range, this means finding a new style of rotary dial.
I have tried a few lamp cord ones rated at 300W but they were no good.
Then i went onto an ebay recommended item and it also had a very narrow range.

Unfortunately the cartridge heater is welded into the nose, so it is impossible to replace with a thermocoupled version.

With the original dial i had about 2 clicks that was my favorite temp, slightly below and the herb was green, slightly above and it was black...No happy or easy medium ground.
It is the version with the timer box so it still has the 120V heater.

Any suggestions?
Could this be of interest?
http://www.instructables.com/id/Sublimator-LCD-touch-screen-mod/

I'm not sure the fidelity will be enough or better than the default dimmer, but it might be possible to modify it further?

Hogni

FAIK this was a solution regarding the 1.0 version and doesn't work with later revisions!?

Hogni,

MoltenTiger

FAIK this was a solution regarding the 1.0 version and doesn't work with later revisions!?
I believe it is limited to the 1.0 version.
I was unsure what model was in question "It is the version with the timer box so it still has the 120V heater."

The later versions are SoC and complex enough to not really be modified.

I just received my replacement Monkey Controller. I've hardly ranted on FC about the Sublimator, but holy shit is it the best thing ever :science:

Top Bottom