The Screwball by Vapvana

2pumpchump

Its worth noting that the DC pid has a temperature offset of ~70f. So when users mention going 420f on the provided Crossing PID, it'd be similar to using the DC at 350f
i guess that means when im vaping at 370 that put me around 300 on a DC PID yes i do step the temp up to finish a bowl .. i normal run between 400 to 440 but start a bit lower sometimes when i got something extra tasty in the bowl

AussieBattla

Screwball Starter Kit Update​

Hey y'all! Here is my current plans for the SB Starter Kit.

Goals​

• Turn the Early Adopters Kit into the SB Starter Kit
    • Make basic changes to the bowl based off of early adopters feedback
  • Focus on making the Starter Kit available ASAP
    • The kits will go on presale once the changes have been finalized and production starts.
    • Kits will be available on our site and recommended vape supples to start.
    • The Presale price will be discounted from the retail price (final pricing still TBD)
    • The goal is to ship kits 4-6 weeks after starting the presale
  • Work on the more advanced accessories for the Deluxe Kit
    • Better lid, stand, glass bowl, mesh screens, etc
    • Collaborations with glass and wood artists

Bowl Changes​

Based off of the early adopters feedback here are the current changes being tested / implemented:
  • Update the handle threading to 10-24 to be compatible with CH Shovelhead handles.
  • Increase the joint length to work better with recessed / dewar joints.
  • Add a second cutout + ledge halfway up the bowl.
new-sb-bowl-mockup.png

(current prototype mockup)

Bowl Sticking Issues​

Some notes about the bowl:
  • IMO, there is a difference between the bowl sticking vs ceasing to the glass joint.
    • IMO, due to the nature of the design (conduction heating), it may not be possible to prevent the joint from sticking 100% of the time.
    • The bowl should be difficult to remove with one hand, but not impossible when using two hands (the older versions would completely cease together and wouldn't come undone until it cooled)
  • The bowl is designed to be kept in the glass joint until you need to empty it.
    • I don't recommend lifting it up to clear your rig.
  • The thickness of your glass joints makes a difference
    • Thinner walled joints are more prone to ceasing
    • The tolerances of glass joints can vary
  • How long you heat the bowl makes a difference
    • The hotter you heat the bowl the more the metal expands increasing the chances of it ceasing
    • What temperature you have on the PID makes a difference
  • I remove the bowl by doing a quarter turn and a lift:
    remove-hot-screwbowl-gif.gif

Deluxe Kit & Accessories​

Here is a little teaser for some accessories that are in the works (I will make a separate thread for vapvana glass collaborations soon)

Glass Bowl by SCC​

Rig Prototypes by GOBs Glass​

I currently have these in hand and are testing them:
IMG-8148.jpg

New Lid Design​

This is a new lid design I had that I'd be curious to get everyone's feedback on.
Screen_Shot_2023-08-20_at_5.28.41_PM.png

It may be hard to tell from just looks, but here are some of the main differences of the SB vs other coil based vapes:

• The SB uses a 25mm coil instead of a 20mm coil
    • This is over a 50% increase in surface area
      IMG-7374.jpg
  • The SB uses 2.5mm gem cut rubies instead of 3mm balls
    • It holds ~750 2.5mm gem cut rubies (or ~230 3mm balls for volume comparison)
      IMG-8329.jpg
  • The SB uses true hybrid heating
    • This allows for more efficient heating and lower operating temperatures
  • The SB + Bowl is custom designed / machined to work together.
    • I went through ~9 iterations of the bowl to create a more refined experience.
      bowl-lid-prototypes.jpg
  • The SB has a 100 day guarantee and lifetime warranty
    • If you don't like your SB for any reason you can return it for a 100% refund within 100 days, no questions asked.
    • After 100 days, all items in the kit are covered by our lifetime warranty.

Vapvana Team & Stakeholders​

For those that don't know, my name is Cal and I'm the founder and 100% owner of Vapvana.
IMG-8330.jpg

(I'm on the right - picture from when I met my Manufacturer this past May and we took a trip to Stanford University)

I've been working on Vapvana since ~December 2021, and have invested all my savings, thousands of hours, and several pounds of cannabis for testing, in order to bring my dream business / vape to life.

Although I've been approached by investors, I have zero intentions of bringing in outside money. My vision is to have Vapvana as a platform for community members to grow together - without the influence of making decisions purely on profits.

It has been one hell of a journey, with more challenges coming up than expected. I've done my best to work through the obstacles behind the scenes, so once I was happy with the product, it would be worth your time, attention, and $.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve this community, and appreciate everyone's patience and understanding as I transition to working on this project full time (and being able to pay myself haha).

Thanks again for everyone who has contributed so far, I have a lot of exciting things in the works for y'all. :rockon:

Cheers,
Cal
Very exciting update, Cal! Those glass pieces look very nice.

Do you know what the updated parts pack for early adopters will consist of? Will we also get further updates in the future?

2pumpchump

ok so i was able to cram .5 g of ground herb in the bowl .... omg it seamed like the never ending bowl lol
@Chicken No Name what size balls are you runing in the B1 if you dont mind me asking

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Hey Y'all!

Thanks for everyones patience with my lack of updates / communication. I am the process of transitioning to working on this business full time, and will be more active on here moving forward.

I'll make a post once I have a more definitive timeline, I'm currently waiting for an updated bowl prototype to be made and sent for my approval.

The goal is to get the early adopters changes to the bowl approved then move into production. After production starts there will be a presale for the Screwball Starter Kit.

I'm also working on ideas for a deluxe kit and other accessories, that will come soon after the Starter Kit.

The new bowl design addresses this and has a cutout halfway up the bowl.

This is also my preferred method.

Rather than a tamp I use the back of the SQP to level off the top and it naturally pushes / tamps down the herb.

For smaller loads (1 SQP or less) it seems like doing a preheat helps with the vapor production. I personally prefer a full bowl, but have been doing more testing with less amounts to see how the experience varies.

From my testing having the herb closer to the diffuser does help with efficiency. The new bowl should address most of the concerns listed so far.

We are on the same page! Going to post the new bowl mockup in the next post :tup:

@coolbreeze did a great job summarizing my thoughts! Not sure I could have said it better myself :D

Next post will address the issue with the bowl sticking.

Its worth noting that the DC pid has a temperature offset of ~70f. So when users mention going 420f on the provided Crossing PID, it'd be similar to using the DC at 350f

This is what I've noticed too - which is why I've been working with some glass artists to make rigs designed specifically for the SB .

I ended up including free gifts that weren't listed on the bullet points. US orders received a 2nd quality coil and International orders received a 2nd quality scoop.

If any of the early adopters would like one of the other gifts please send me a message. I will include it in your updated parts package.

I also didn't send out prizes with the international orders to minimize the chances of there being an issue with customs. The prizes / extras will be going out with the updated parts (please send me a message if you'd like it sent out sooner).

I'll address this in the next post :rockon:
It’s cool Cal.?I know it will come. I got a seconds scoop. Thanks and I do use your beautiful little SQP to tamp.
Still loving my journey with the Screwball.

ok so i was able to cram .5 g of ground herb in the bowl .... omg it seamed like the never ending bowl lol
@Chicken No Name what size balls are you runing in the B1 if you dont mind me asking
I do that regularly. Just tamp it down and you can get a good bit in there. Screwball just says meh and blasts it.

Apologies for double post. Was trying to edit and quote.
Please merge mods. Thank you.

2pumpchump

I do that regularly. Just tamp it down and you can get a good bit in there. Screwball just says meh and blasts it.

Apologies for double post. Was trying to edit and quote.
Please merge mods. Thank you.
I am like you I normally put a scoop and mabey a pinch level out hit untapped .. I've if you need more than 1 bowl just pack another one ..

Riven

475-500 for me , lower if i'm doing tasting sessions. I popped the screen out completely and used and old airizer eq mesh bowl just dropped in as a bowl size reduction when i didnt wanna fully load, worked surprising well and was very even roast, if anything a little darker than the same temp with normal bowl.

2pumpchump

475-500 for me , lower if i'm doing tasting sessions. I popped the screen out completely and used and old airizer eq mesh bowl just dropped in as a bowl size reduction when i didnt wanna fully load, worked surprising well and was very even roast, if anything a little darker than the same temp with normal bowl.
yea Simler with me i run 400 to 440 for flavor i can actley get a nice hit in the 300s on a NON DC PID ... IMO much over 500 and you have to watch not to scorch

coolbreeze

When I won my prize, Cal seemed unsure whether he'd carry the briefcase. Turns out it's not a bad idea at all! : )
IMG-1640.jpg

I wouldn't have contemplated this otherwise and it seemed kind of silly at the time, but it was really great fun. Now i'm off to find some battery power...

2pumpchump

When I won my prize, Cal seemed unsure whether he'd carry the briefcase. Turns out it's not a bad idea at all! : )
IMG-1640.jpg

I wouldn't have contemplated this otherwise and it seemed kind of silly at the time, but it was really great fun. Now i'm off to find some battery power...
At first I was like ok that's cool..but the 2 weeks I was not home and had the screwball on the go with me I was jealous lol 😂

2pumpchump

The thread seems to slow down for a bit 🤭
But I have a sneaky filling its fixing to start picking up soon 😈😈😈
Catch you guys after a little while gotta go make some cash to pay for vas

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I stumbled upon this thread a week ago, watched a few videos and thought it looked very cool. I come back today and notice someone mentioning a presale... so I bought one... literally didn't think about it until after I had already bought it... will be fun comparing it to the Taroma 360... which I also have just ordered... VAS is evil and I am broke again :)

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
So, am I seeing this right? Are we calling this more of a session style device? If so, that'd be fucking awesom!!! I've been wanting a ball powered session that is easy and effective. The z8 and b-0 are great one hitters but that's it for me. I'm don't stir for some burnt tasting whisps you know?

coolbreeze

So, am I seeing this right? Are we calling this more of a session style device? If so, that'd be fucking awesom!!! I've been wanting a ball powered session that is easy and effective. The z8 and b-0 are great one hitters but that's it for me. I'm don't stir for some burnt tasting whisps you know?
That's Cal's advice, specifically relating to our attempts to microdose, which weren't going very...micro. His vids mostly show him doing a massive hit or two off a load, with temps up there. He suggested that we start at 400 and temp step our way up to 450 or so over several hits, no need to stir. Obviously you can stretch this out over time as long as you take the heater off the bowl (it's built for conduction). In my experience you get 5+ good hits off a full bowl (~.35g) with flavor staying pretty nice throughout and big, big cool hits. After playing with it, I just set it to 420 and leave it there. It's really nice. It's also very open and will probably drive your recycler decently.

coolbreeze,

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Screwball Bowl + Starter Kit Update​

Overview​

Thanks to everyones patience with my lack of communication! After taking a mental health break, I'm feeling back to 100% and ready to hit it runnin with y'all!

This update focuses on:
  • Updated Bowl Prototype
  • Starter Kit Presale for FC Members
  • The website has new content!

Updated Bowl Prototype​

IMG_8730.jpg

Updates include:
  1. Added groove for 'half sized inserts'
    1. Holds one scoop or ~.1 - .15g of herbs with medium grind
  2. Changed handle threading to 10/24 to be compatible with CH handles
  3. Extended bowl joint to work better with recessed/dewar joints

Screwball Starter Kit Presale Updates​

• The bowl prototype has been approved and production has started for the next round (~200 kits)

• The starter kit is set to retail for $369 with a $100 off for all presale orders
    • FC Members will be given an additional 10% off bringing the total to $242.10

• ~26 kits were listed on the website yesterday and are almost sold out at the time of writing this
    • Thank you to FC members who already pulled the trigger to support!

Presale Spots For FC Members​

I've set aside ~30 kits specifically for FC members. To reserve your kit please fill out our online form here: vapvana.com/pages/fc-screwball-presale

Invoices will be manually sent upon completion until the reserved kits run out.

I stumbled upon this thread a week ago, watched a few videos and thought it looked very cool. I come back today and notice someone mentioning a presale... so I bought one... literally didn't think about it until after I had already bought it... will be fun comparing it to the Taroma 360... which I also have just ordered... VAS is evil and I am broke again :)
Thanks for giving us a shot!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet - but all purchases come with a 100 day guarantee and lifetime warranty.

If you aren't satisfied with the Screwball just let us know within a 100 days of receiving it and you'll get a full refund, no questions asked. :tup:
In on the presale. Between this and the Vapman Station I may be done with VAS for the time being. But wait, the Tempest…
Don't forget about our tetherless version coming soon... :D

From my experience so far, this is how I've been using the Screwball:
  • Full bowl packs (.3g-4g) for session style vaping at low temps (420f to 470f)
  • Half bowl packs (.1g-.15g) for one hot extractions at higher temps (500f to 550f)
Stirring is optional / not recommended IMO.
That's Cal's advice, specifically relating to our attempts to microdose, which weren't going very...micro. His vids mostly show him doing a massive hit or two off a load, with temps up there. He suggested that we start at 400 and temp step our way up to 450 or so over several hits, no need to stir. Obviously you can stretch this out over time as long as you take the heater off the bowl (it's built for conduction). In my experience you get 5+ good hits off a full bowl (~.35g) with flavor staying pretty nice throughout and big, big cool hits. After playing with it, I just set it to 420 and leave it there. It's really nice. It's also very open and will probably drive your recycler decently.
Hoping the new bowl addresses the issue for people with lower tolerances!

Everyone who has received an early adopters kit will receive the updated bowls once they touchdown in 4-6 weeks (hopefully!)

Closing Thoughts​

Thanks again for everyones patience and support so far! This has been one of the most rewarding and challenging projects I've ever taken on, and it wouldn't be possible without this community.

I'm working on going through my messages and getting back to everyone. I apologize if you're still waiting to hear back from me. I hope to be all caught up by the end of this month (including some contest prizes I haven't sent out yet :()

More updates coming soon! Please reach out if you need anything :rockon:

Cheers,
Cal

2pumpchump

Sorry little under the weather so been slow start.
Not have said I no better myself for full bowl I leave mine between 415 and 425 I think that mainly the strain.
For half bowl 1 or two hits I run 515 to 540 for me .
Can't wait to try the new bowl

Top Bottom