The Pinky: an open-source DIY injector style thermal extraction device

shopdognyc

i like the elev8tor bowl

Scott has discount codes as well. Message me if you need.

VincentTheHealer

This thing is amazing. I see a lot of talk about the best bowl possible. In my short experience with the thing, it rocks with any bowl I've tried it with.

I've put some beads in a 14mm j-hook with the cheapest, smallest bowl I have with just a little bit of green. Gave me a thick tasty cloud and an even roast.

If you want to assemble the thing for as cheap as possible, you might already have something good enough and don't have to spend on that.

Vitolo

Vaporist
So simple. I have a box of adapters and had quite a few of this one.
Cheap...easy to get... an 18mmM to 18mmF with a screen slapped in there!
Screen sits snugly with no weed passing the barrier thanks to that Saturn ring in the center.
Photo-on-2-28-22-at-1-51-PM.jpg

androponic

vaped.
i ordered glass cups from here. a 4 pack is less than 15$ shipped

TIG Insulated Class Cup #8 (1/2" & 12.5mm Orifice) Temperature Resistant O-rings For SR WP 9 17 18 20 25 26 TIG welding torch 14pcs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LL95W7W/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_P6SVEPPHBQ0MB9VSFSC3

I got the ceramic ones on ebay and was 10$ for a 10 pack.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Here's that same glass cup direct from the (US) manufacturer.
any problems with breakage? I saw one person had theirs break while it was heating up. I have some glass Tigs on the way, and trying to figure out if they will be safe to use in this application.

So simple. I have a box of adapters and had quite a few of this one.
Cheap...easy to get... an 18mmM to 18mmF with a screen slapped in there!
Screen sits snugly with no weed passing the barrier thanks to that Saturn ring in the center.
Photo-on-2-28-22-at-1-51-PM.jpg
I am so glad these work, I have several :)

Vaporware

With welding though, you’re not filling it with balls that can expand when heated. It’s also possible to have unseen flaws in a part that could cause it to fail.

I think with this type of design there’s always a chance of breakage, but I would expect it to happen early on or when you adjust the balls rather than just randomly.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Cool, thanks for the replies. I know glass breaks, its just part of the bargain. I was mainly curious to see if there have been a bunch of failures or not. I am glad to see other people having good results. I am still waiting on Tigs so its giving me time to think :D I will be sure not to over fill when I build mine. I have to say this new Pinky design has got my attention right away, and pulled me out of the woodwork. Been a while since I've been here in the forum. Good to be back

cvs8floz

3 bowls and out...
I can't say that I can share everyone's enthusiasm for this device. I received the pink cups yesterday and it took about 30 minutes to build it, I had all the other parts so it was a very minimal investment. I then tried about 10 different glass bowls and it was too large to fit and stay in any one of them, you pretty much have to hold it the whole time you are vaping and it kind of lists so keeping it straight is a challenge. I then preheated it to 590 and took my first pull, I thought the taste was not horrible but strange, the second and first hits were better, plenty of vapor and good effects. I increased the heat to 605 for the 2nd bowl and got some charring on top, after I dumped it I realized that the AVB smelled awful and was immediately turned off. By the 3rd bowl, I already noticed some pink flaking and the bad AVB smell carried over into the hit, that was it for me. I personally don't feel the cup material is safe and the bad smelling AVB is an instant game stopper for me.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
well attemp #2 at getting the right tigs sent to me failed, even though the numbers all match the tig is a couple mm too small for the 20mm coil. I ordered #8 53n61s 1/2". starting to get me pretty frustrated. I ordered the ones directly off the list this time and it has me waiting up to a month for them now.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
found a listing on ebay for some tigs in an open box so it was an actual photo taken by the seller, not a stock photo, and they look like the correct ones and only about a week shipping time. Crossing fingers and toes these are the right ones this time. Apparently there are variations in the tigs that are not being mentioned in wall thickness and shape. All the numbers match up in the ones that were sent to me ,but the tigs themselves are not the right size for the 20mm coil. They have straight walls and about 18mm in width instead of 20, thinner walls. I don't know if anyone else has run into this issue. I haven't read any complaints about it.

Vaporware

3 bowls and out...
I can't say that I can share everyone's enthusiasm for this device. I received the pink cups yesterday and it took about 30 minutes to build it, I had all the other parts so it was a very minimal investment. I then tried about 10 different glass bowls and it was too large to fit and stay in any one of them, you pretty much have to hold it the whole time you are vaping and it kind of lists so keeping it straight is a challenge. I then preheated it to 590 and took my first pull, I thought the taste was not horrible but strange, the second and first hits were better, plenty of vapor and good effects. I increased the heat to 605 for the 2nd bowl and got some charring on top, after I dumped it I realized that the AVB smelled awful and was immediately turned off. By the 3rd bowl, I already noticed some pink flaking and the bad AVB smell carried over into the hit, that was it for me. I personally don't feel the cup material is safe and the bad smelling AVB is an instant game stopper for me.

That sucks man. I’d probably be out at least as fast, but I do have a couple of questions.

If the coil was new, did you make sure it was clean and burn it off first? Same with the cup?

If everything was clean and the flaking was not just from installation (which I hope could be cleaned off before use), that does worry me…

I also wonder if the temp was a bit high for this device? If a small increase caused charring, a lower temp would probably have preserved flavor better. High temps can leave me with worse smelling AVB I think, although I think all AVB is on the unpleasant side of the spectrum unless it was barely used.

There is also a glass housing version which is probably preferable, but I don’t think that would change the need to hold it throughout the hit. I think that’s just one of the trade offs in the design to make it from cheap off the shelf parts.

If you don’t want to try it again though, I get it. Anything that made me concerned about what I was inhaling wouldn’t even get a test hit from me… :disgust:

cvs8floz

If the coil was new, did you make sure it was clean and burn it off first? Same with the cup?

If everything was clean and the flaking was not just from installation (which I hope could be cleaned off before use), that does worry me…

I also wonder if the temp was a bit high for this device? If a small increase caused charring, a lower temp would probably have preserved flavor better. High temps can leave me with worse smelling AVB I think, although I think all AVB is on the unpleasant side of the spectrum unless it was barely used.
The coil was fairly new, after assembly I let it sit for 2 hours @ 600F until the electric smell was gone so it was well heat soaked when I used it. The flaking was probably caused by the installation but regardless, seeing pink flakes on my desk was disconcerting. I wouldn't say that the AVB from my B1 smells like roses but this stuff was rank and rotten smelling. I am not going to try the Pyrex option because the fit wouldn't be any better, the B1 on top of a plusplus bowl remains the gold standard for now.

wubba-lubba-dub-dub

With welding though, you’re not filling it with balls that can expand when heated. It’s also possible to have unseen flaws in a part that could cause it to fail.

I think with this type of design there’s always a chance of breakage, but I would expect it to happen early on or when you adjust the balls rather than just randomly.
Good points and agreed. I think the screens would pop out if the balls expanded before they broke the glass tho…perhaps.. also good reason to not over fill I guess. I’m not trying to say the glass is unbreakable btw just reporting I’ve not had any issue

Hippie

I don't understand why you folks are using the pink ones when the same thing is available in glass. (Pyrex)

David

The Pinky is grippier and is more stable than The Brain in my opinion
The Pinky will sit on an 18mm female joint unaided and the screens have more grip against the rough pink Alumina surface so the balls are more secure in the Pinky compared to the smoother Pyrex Brain nozzles.

Could probably run a dremel tool around the inside to rough up the surface for more grip (like Bud did making the G43), and finding a bowl that fits would fix those issues tho

Vitolo

Vaporist
The Pinky is grippier and is more stable than The Brain in my opinion
The Pinky will sit on an 18mm female joint unaided and the screens have more grip against the rough pink Alumina surface so the balls are more secure in the Pinky compared to the smoother Pyrex Brain nozzles.
Exactly....
plus there are the small bonuses...
like the subtle color change that from across the room tells you if Pinky has cooled down when PID light is out of view.
The Pink nozzle also adheres more easily without adjustment to the coils inside... again due to it's mat finish/texture.
The Pink Ceramic also when vaping in poorer light situations is more distinctly visually separable from the bowl of the bubbler.
Subtle things... but I like them.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I don't understand why you folks are using the pink ones when the same thing is available in glass. (Pyrex)

David
I am waiting on glass tigs to show up, maybe in a week or two. In my mind glass would be preferred assuming they will hold together well enough to keep using this way, screens stay in place and the glass tig stays put in the coil etc... I still plan to build the pink one when I have those tigs too, just to try it out after putting all this effort and time into getting the right ones I feel a bit invested. If the glass holds up well to use, then it will probably be my go to over the pink one, but its hard to say for sure with out having them here to find out. I did put together a decent stand that should work, keep the coil/handle secure, and take heat. Washed my balls in ISO 99%, ready to rock and roll when the tigs get here. :cool:

Top Bottom